Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:05:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've bought from both, in that price range your probably looking at more private sales than dealers though as not a whole lot of dealers deal with cars that cheap, and if they do they probably are bad news.  

I would check out craigslist(I know arfcom usually isn't a fan), but that is probably where you will find the most sub $5,000 cars.  I think both of the models you chose are good options in that price range. Especially if you could find some old lady with all the service history selling one.  

autotrader.com used to be pretty good, but it seems even their listings have dwindled lately.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check Craigslist a couple times a day.  When a good one pops up they tend to go fast.  There are good deals out there you just need to be patient.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
a 3000 dollar car at a dealer was a 800 dolla car at the auction and a 500 dolla trade in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check Craigslist a couple times a day.  When a good one pops up they tend to go fast.  There are good deals out there you just need to be patient.
View Quote

This ^^

Be aware, most of the Civics in that price range will be well-used, riced-out, sporting a loud muffler, have spoiler holes in the trunk lid, and will likely have some sort of messed up dash wiring from a bunch of 16-17 year olds swapping radios. I think Corollas are a safer bet in that price range, but $3k puts you in the late 90s or real early 00s, with about 200k miles.

We just went thru the same thing, looking for a car for my 17 yr old son. Everything in the $3k range was beat to hell, real high mileage, or both. Wound up with an 02 Jetta with the 2.0 (aka "2 point slow"), 5 spd trans, 145k miles, and a new head (because the PO didn't have the timing belt changed when he should've), for $1800. Spent a few hundred on a pair of tires and addressing some interior issues, and we have a reliable little first car for about $2k.  It wouldn't pull a greased string out of a whore's ass, but it's smooth, and handles well. Exactly what we were looking for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a 99 Cutlass for my daughter 18 months ago. Less than 90k on it for $1400. She put 19k on it and 2 tires. Thats it. Intake gaskets and water pump leaking so her 16 yo brother gets to learn how to fix it if he wants a car. She just picked up a 06 Taurus with 93k on it for $3200 last week.
Lol newer than my DD!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
For $3000 you'll get a much better deal through a private party sale, just make sure you look over the car real good, or have someone with you that can check it out for you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Invest in a good OBDII scanner.  You' be surprised what that can show you.  If looking at a Ford/Mazda/Mercury go to Forscan.org for a free for Windows software that is on par with Stealership setups.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Have your cash and be ready to go when one pops up on CL.

If you are in FL, I would broaden your horizons and look at something like a Buick Century that an older person had owned.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
2 wheel drive 02-04 Tahoe with 150-200k nice driving reliable safe roomy vehicle vs a poor kids civic. Did I mention safer?  

They are cheaply and easily repaired get good gas mileage for their size (upper teens/mid 20s) and don't crumple up like beer cans when hit by Dodge trucks.

OP, I used to sell cars for a living, here's some advice, do NOT buy any car under $10,000 at ANY dealership ESPECIALLY the pot lots aka small dealerships without a new car franchise.

You my friend need to sit your ass on craigslist and watch it like a hawk.  Looks for vehicles in a 4000-5000 range as you'll then negotiate down to $3 get it?  You carfax them, you check maintenance history, you REALLY check interior condition as this will tell you everything you need to know.  If interior is tore up, walk away (excludes driver's seat as that's common).  If buying a GM vehicle take the VIN to a local GM dealer service department (tell them it's your car) and ask them to pull a GM service history report for you (free).  Tells you everything that was done to a GM car/truck is serviced at ANY GM dealer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a code scanner. Is it worth the $50 to get carfax subscription?
View Quote

Carfax and Autocheck

You can't be too careful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see some really good options on craigslist.  Am I right that the best place to exchange money and sign over the title is at a bank, using their notary?
View Quote

You can but its kinda unnecessary. Unless your state requires it which I doubt.

Just
1. Don't buy cars from areas you personally wouldn't buy a house in
2. Verify VIN on title match cars VIN
3. Do the deal in a low crime part of town
4. Bring cash, friend (preferably another adult male) and handgun.
5. Complete a state acceptable Bill of Sale form with seller
6. Get all signatures on title
7. Beware there are a lot of scams in Craigslist so ask seller a shotload of questions to have a better chance to weed out shady people. If shit doesn't feel right don't go.  
8. Don't be that guy who does a whole negotiation and deal through text then shows up in the hood and gets killed robbed. See above steps to help prevent this and talk to seller over phone a LOT.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

a 3000 dollar car at a dealer was a 800 dolla car at the auction and a 500 dolla trade in.
View Quote
This

Buy privately

Be patient. Ask a lot of questions. Take it to your mechanic
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Over the years (since 1990), I have had great success buying very reliable one-owner cars of many stripe, but they were sure not off Craigslist or its ilk.  Depending on how much you wish to spend, Autotrader and Carfax can somewhat be your friend.

Here's the scenario:  Ma and Pa (people like me) go to trade in their 535 BMW (maybe not the best example) or whatever at 70k miles, and are highly offended by the trade-in offer.  They rightly think, "I can get better!"  They put it on Autotrader.  They look at Kelly BB values. Somebody likes me sees the car is near flawless, and has a folder full of receipts for every oil change, service repair, etc., and a dealer printout, because they have gone to the same dealer for everything.  They have legitimately well-cared for that auto, loved it like a good family member.  Pay the asking price and drive it another 70-80k miles, minus the 100k service:  that is what they are avoiding.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Over the years (since 1990), I have had great success buying very reliable one-owner cars of many stripe, but they were sure not off Craigslist or its ilk.  Depending on how much you wish to spend, Autotrader and Carfax can somewhat be your friend.

Here's the scenario:  Ma and Pa (people like me) go to trade in their 535 BMW (maybe not the best example) or whatever at 70k miles, and are highly offended by the trade-in offer.  They rightly think, "I can get better!"  They put it on Autotrader.  They look at Kelly BB values. Somebody likes me sees the car is near flawless, and has a folder full of receipts for every oil change, service repair, etc., and a dealer printout, because they have gone to the same dealer for everything.  They have legitimately well-cared for that auto, loved it like a good family member.  Pay the asking price and drive it another 70-80k miles, minus the 100k service:  that is what they are avoiding.
View Quote

That's great advice but private parties rarely list on Autotrader anymore because its flooded with dealers, costs money and is too much hassle or out of someone's computer skills.    

Old people who aren't computer savvy will just have their kids put it on craigslist. I see it all the time  "listing this for my Dad or Grandpa".  If you use craigslist right, you can get a good car at a great deal.  

Op another trick if you are ok with maybe traveling to a near by city to also look is to use www.searchtempest.com  Its the google for all cities on craigslists.  You can type in what you want then overlay a distance radius and it will search all nearby craigslists for you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
In that price range I just picked up my son a stock 1 owner 5 speed 01 Civic . $2500 with new tires. Also don't forget Autotrader
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's great advice but private parties rarely list on Autotrader anymore because its flooded with dealers, costs money and is too much hassle or out of someone's computer skills.    

Old people who aren't computer savvy will just have their kids put it on craigslist. I see it all the time  "listing this for my Dad or Grandpa".  If you use craigslist right, you can get a good car at a great deal.  

Op another trick if you are ok with maybe traveling to a near by city to also look is to use www.searchtempest.com  Its the google for all cities on craigslists.  You can type in what you want then overlay a distance radius and it will search all nearby craigslists for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make a good point:  I'm old but computer savvy.  I have bought musical instruments off Craigslist, and I felt like I was going to a major drug deal, so I have neglected it for cars.  Thanks for giving OP another option.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer private party. My wife picked up an 04 Sable wagon with less than 40 K on the clock for $5500. Ugly but almost new car for less than 6 thousand. I picked up a 96 Caddy from a dealer doing a consignment, for 5500 also. 45K on it. Sometimes a dealer will just low ball an older car to get rid of it. But dealers have to add in their profit. A private seller just has to get more than the dealer will pay him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#23]
And get a pre purchase inspection
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#25]
The biggest ass raping ,rip off I have ever experienced  was a used car from a shady dealership.I would go private party.Used car guys are scum, and live to pedal their junk on unsuspecting buyers. I had only bough new vehicles. Before so I had never experienced  these vile wretches  of humanity.The only reason that guy isn't dead,  is because I don't want to go to prison.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Used car dealers are the worst, huge big dollar dealership lied about trim and features to my gf to get a sale for her last car... Then when she went back with me to get something else on their bs they tried to play all the games.... Ended up ok on a different car, but after no less than 6 hours of our time, I'm just glad it didn't go worse. Probably would have been a better price and a 20 minute sale private party. I'll never do that again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've walked away from four negotiations after posting this thread, I seem to learn more all the time.  I have a mehanic friend with a line on a 2010 Kia Rio with 130k just sold at auction, the dealer wants to flip it fast, asking $3000, which KBB says is $1000 under private party sale.  Going to look tomorrow.
View Quote

Dude, we talked about this......... you don't buy cars that cost under $10,000 from dealerships.  I don't care what they say, YOU DON'T BUY THEM.  A reputable dealer will not have cars on their lot that are in the under $10,000 range for 2 reasons.  1 you can't finance it and 2. (important for you) they don't pass inspection/emissions easily so the dealer has to dump a bunch of money into it to make it sellable which usually pushes their investment over $10,000.  You buy cheap cars from private parties and (pay close attention to this part) when buying the car you buy on the cars condition AND on the actions of the seller.  Meaning, if the guy is a shit bum, don't buy the car.  If the guy is a meticulous engineer with a manicured front lawn BUY THE CAR.  get it?  The owner himself tells you a lot about how the car was treated and this is VERY important when dealing with under $5000 cars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The under $5000 used car market was destroyed by cash for clunkers as as you're seeing its really hard to find something nice that isn't $15,000.  

check what this same car is selling for on ebay (as in search by sold) with same equipment and miles.  For a consumer that's the closest window into actual wholesale "black book" value you can get without being a dealer.

Remember KBB or any other site's "dealer value" means the dealer has reconditioned the car to as like new a status as makes sense which usually means they invest at least $1000 into it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]
That sucks. What city are you in? I'll take a look and see if I can find you something as I know people all over Florida.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Certified used from an official dealership (of the same name as the car manufacturer.) They will likely miss stuff on the certification checklist, but you can go back and demand they fix it for free.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a couple of recommendations.

Buicks get used very little and have very poor resale value.

look around for literally little old ladies and men driving them and see what you see.

Don't just go with honda or toyota because everyone says they are better. There are ok enough cheap cars out if you look for the ones that people knock.

Secondly, consider leasing
Some of the deals going on right now will get you a 2016 for 100 bucks a month and in some cases nothing down.

insurace may kill you here, but for 3k you could lease a car 3 years if you get the right deal.
not sure how long you plan on her driving a 3k car.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Go check this one out. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5729597963.html    Don't let the mileage scare you. They are extremely tough trucks plus with 200k all major repair have been done by default over the past 80k miles. Talk him down to $3000ish. This one immediately tells me it's been taken care of as the front seats are not torn.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

i repent, you were right.  

the car was trashed.  Oil was black, transmission fluid did not register on the dipstick, and my OBDII code reader threw a half dozen codes before i even took it for a test drive, which I didn't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've walked away from four negotiations after posting this thread, I seem to learn more all the time.  I have a mehanic friend with a line on a 2010 Kia Rio with 130k just sold at auction, the dealer wants to flip it fast, asking $3000, which KBB says is $1000 under private party sale.  Going to look tomorrow.

Dude, we talked about this......... you don't buy cars that cost under $10,000 from dealerships.  I don't care what they say, YOU DON'T BUY THEM.  A reputable dealer will not have cars on their lot that are in the under $10,000 range for 2 reasons.  1 you can't finance it and 2. (important for you) they don't pass inspection/emissions easily so the dealer has to dump a bunch of money into it to make it sellable which usually pushes their investment over $10,000.  You buy cheap cars from private parties and (pay close attention to this part) when buying the car you buy on the cars condition AND on the actions of the seller.  Meaning, if the guy is a shit bum, don't buy the car.  If the guy is a meticulous engineer with a manicured front lawn BUY THE CAR.  get it?  The owner himself tells you a lot about how the car was treated and this is VERY important when dealing with under $5000 cars.
I understand what you say. It's not goint to the lot.  KBB lists the fair market dealer value between 4-6 Thousand. So if the car is in good shape and I buy direct for 3k, I think that's a win. I'm taking my mechanic with me to look at it.  
i repent, you were right.  

the car was trashed.  Oil was black, transmission fluid did not register on the dipstick, and my OBDII code reader threw a half dozen codes before i even took it for a test drive, which I didn't.

Dealers don't flip anything for anyone without making money..  that was a 1000 dollar trade in.  dealers with 3000 dollar cars are scum... they sell them to no credit low income people that don't know better and have no  other choice.

I see you have learned your lesson... I just wish  more decent people like yourself knew this.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#38]

See this thing.... this is what you are looking for.... old lady car.  im not saying this specific car... just giving an example of the style of vehicle that would be least beat to death.  BTW Hyundai  and Kia are great cars that will last well over 150k miles and are not in huge demand, so the asking prices are lower..

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

thanks, that's the kind we're looking at.  but how do I tell if they are a private seller or dealer?  I've looked at four from craiglist and they've all been dealers, even though they are classified as "by owner".

Its getting to where the first text question I ask is "are you a dealer?"  Last night I got a "no dealer fees!" reply, to which I assumed the answer was yes.

View Quote

That's the issue in Orlando..... ive lived there, so I know the drill.

There are a lot of dudes that buy cars at auctions or privately buy ones with blown engines and transmissions, fix them up, detail them and flip them, unless you are a mechanic, stay away from those. they buy them for 500, spend 500 on a junkyard motor, slam in the motor in 6 hours, spend 2 hours doing a quickie detail and sell it for 3000. after spending 8 hours prepping the car then 2to4 more trying to sell it, they basically make $166 per hour invested in the car.... pretty decent gig. they sell 3 a month and are living large. these cars get sold in the poorer neighborhoods to adults or to kids in the suburbs like Deltona.

Catch my drift?

If you look at a bunch of adds, not just ones in your price range, you will notice the backdrops are the same note the phone # and compare to the ones you like.....  those are the dudes doing the above or the buy here pay here lots.  

Look for cars in driveways in nicer areas.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#41]
You are in FL and STILL looking for a car???!!    Come on, man!!

You are looking for a ONE owner car.   That should be your first question.   Look in the newspaper as old people still post stuff in the paper.   Buy from an older person.    Buicks as mentioned previously with lower miles are good cars and priced reasonable.

Older person and one owner car.    Try harder!!!    ;)
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
If you attend church... contact the person who's in everyone's business... they will know if there's a little old lady selling her car
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So this is turning into a circus and I have to laugh.My daughter and I went to go test drive a 2010 Kia Optima yesterday, private sale.  I checked the transmission fluid and it was very gritty. When I pulled out onto the road I gave it some gas and the car tried to shift into a lower gear, but never made it.  clackety-clackety under the hood and a HUGE plume of white smoke came out the back, like a bomb had gone off.  I turned around and took it right back.  Told the owner his transmission was shot and the engine was burning oil.

on to the next one
View Quote

I think its also due that you may be looking at the wrong cars.  Korean cars now are like cavaliers and stuff in that they are throw away cars.  Their owners treat them as such and beat the shit out of them.  

I'll list a few cars that you should check out.  the reason I'm listing these is they are cheap, they built a billion of them, parts are everywhere and they are stupid easy to repair / restore AND most people that owned them or own them take pride and take care of them.  Example, you find one with a torn leather seats, you can easily find new seats from another on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, get it?

Remember, condition is everything, mileage is arbitrary
2001-2004 Tahoe / Yukon
2001-2004 V6 Mustang
2001-2004 2WD Silverado
1998-2004 Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis (must be old person owned no ex-cop cars)
2000-2002 V6 Camaro or Firebird with under 100k miles that must look brand new

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5759173558.html  -- this one may be owned by a dealer / car flipper but this car is one of those nice ones that is worth a look.  these camaros don't hide their problems, they SCREAM them at you.  So if it doesn't rear any ugliness as in drive train issues, you are good to go.  Plus this is a solid proven V6 platform.  And you're daughter can drive something cool vs. a boring gold KIA, ;)  Plus as I mentioned they are stupid cheap to fix.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
thanks, but none of those would be comfortable for her to drive.  Maybe I'll sell her my corolla and upgrade...
View Quote

what do you mean? like she has special needs or is scared of driving anything bigger than a corolla? (nothing wrong with that as most girls want the most compact car possible).  Helps me help you find something.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

thanks, but none of those would be comfortable for her to drive.  Maybe I'll sell her my corolla and upgrade...
View Quote
that's the best idea yet.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

then the problem migrates to me!
View Quote

Yeah, but you can go buy brand new and have 3 k down
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top