Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 12:52:11 AM EDT
It used to start after about 1 second of cranking. Lately it's been getting harder to start: it takes 2 seconds of cranking, a pause, then another 1-2 seconds of cranking to start. Otherwise it takes 5-6 seconds. And it runs fine after it starts.

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2 engine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Time for a new battery is what it sounds like. Either that or starter. I would start with the battery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time for a new battery is what it sounds like. Either that or starter. I would start with the battery.
View Quote

Just replaced battery last year. There's no "lag" in starting.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
plugs
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuel pump or pressure regulator? It sounds like the pump isn't priming the system when the key is turned to run.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
need to be a bit more specific.

crank hard and fast? Cranks at normal speed.

does it start faster if you key on to prime the fuel pump a couple times first before attempting to start?

I haven't tried turning it on several times. I have turned it on once, then off, then cranked it. Also, I replaced the fuel pump last summer.

smell gas while/after starting?  No.

from your initial post it sounds like a fuel problem.

check valve or regulator failing allowing drain back

ive also seen fuel injectors leak in a manner that it will cause a long start no matter how many times you prime it(usually smell gas when starting)  Gas under hood, or from tailpipe?

View Quote

Thanks for the info, I'll give these a try.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Time for new truck, sounds like the wizzervroom is  shot, replacing it would cost more then the truck is worth.

[lets face it, you really DO want a new truck, you just don't want to pay for it]

New plugs and a general tune up, wires, cap, ect. If still long start times, injectors are probably leaking down and pooling.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

does it start faster if you key on to prime the fuel pump a couple times first before attempting to start?

I haven't tried turning it on several times. I have turned it on once, then off, then cranked it. Also, I replaced the fuel pump last summer.

ive also seen fuel injectors leak in a manner that it will cause a long start no matter how many times you prime it(usually smell gas when starting)  Gas under hood, or from tailpipe?

don't forget to change the fuel filter also.

also had to change the fuel pump in my old truck after a year or so because the cheap one didn't want to last as long.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Try 89 or 92 gas. My truck idols hard if I use 87.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

also had to change the fuel pump in my old truck after a year or so because the cheap one didn't want to last as long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've learned my lesson on hard-to-reach parts, and bought OEM. That truck bed is a bitch to remove!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd do a general tune up, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never done one and I've had it 2-3 years. Think it's time?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Prime the truck three times then crank. Does it fire right away? If so its fuel related.

When I say prime I mean turn key to the on position. Should hear your fuel pump hum. Then back off and do again. Don't crank till the third time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vehicle is not equiped with a fuel filter other than the strainer mounted on the in-tank pump
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely sounds like a tune up is needed. Along with the fuel filter. I would also use some fuel injector cleaner for a couple fill ups and use a higher Octane fuel for those fill ups. That'll help clear a lot of gunk out as well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]
go rent a fuel pressure gauge and start by checking fuel pressure, both for proper fuel pressure and leak down.

sounds to me like the check valve in the pump is shot and allowing fuel to drain back into the tank, then when you have the long crank symptom, it is priming the fuel lines and boom, starts up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
go rent a fuel pressure gauge and start by checking fuel pressure, both for proper fuel pressure and leak down.

sounds to me like the check valve in the pump is shot and allowing fuel to drain back into the tank, then when you have the long crank symptom, it is priming the fuel lines and boom, starts up.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking. Why I recommended to see if a multi prime would start on first crank.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuel pump or pressure regulator? It sounds like the pump isn't priming the system when the key is turned to run.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#19]
My work van did something like that right before the fuel pump died.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My work van did something like that right before the fuel pump died.
View Quote

I'm gonna hate it if that's what it is! I just replaced the fuel pump last year: pulled the bed, hoisted it with an engine hoist, blocked it for safety and struggled with R & R the damned pump! If it happens again I'll put an aftermarket pump on the frame! I wonder if that's even legal?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
a few things
as someone mentioned above, could just need a check valve. the internal one might have failed.
you can add one in line and be good to go for a while.

the mopar pumps have the regulator built in and are returnless systems.
you would not only have to add the pump, but a regulator and return line if you wanted an external pump.

sadly you cannot leave the old one in there and run an external attached to it.
if the old one grenades, it will be impeeding flow making your new pump work that much harder leading to impending death on that one as well. not to mention possible shrapnel from the old pump going into the new.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do it every 30,000 miles

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top