Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 2:19:14 PM EDT
in the next few years I'll probably be looking to upgrade from my current f150 (which has been fantastic).  I'm currently in a non-Eco boosted v6 2014 super crew XL.  For my next truck I definitely want a crew cab and 4x4.  And it's not a requirement but I now really love long beds though I know that isn't an option on the F150 with a crew cab.  

It's (current) primary use will be commuting.  But it'll also be for shopping, BLM shooting range trips, taking the gf out, taking the kids out for ice cream...etc.  i only load the bed up maybe twice a month since I'm currently living in suburbia while I finish college on my GI Bill.  Won't be the case after I finish school.  

Anyways, for guys with experience with both, which option would you get?  PS:  Above all my #1 thing is reliability.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Dad has an extended cab 2011 F250 with the 6.2 gas.  I have a 2005 F150 FX4 crew cab with the 5.4 and my brother has a 2008.
Unless you plan on towing, get the half ton.  My parents live back a mile long gravel road and the ride in the F250 is rough unloaded.  He manages to get 15 mpg rural driving and I get 15-16.

Might wait to see what Ford brings out in the next couple years: Ranger, Bronco, diesel F150...
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have limited experience with the 6.2L and none with the 5.0.  The 6.2L is a very reliable engine in the SD's.  With a CCLB truck, it might feel a little anemic...especially if you hook a trailer to it.  Definitely get the lowest gears you can!  This will make all the difference in the world.  The thing is, 99.8% of the trucks on the lot will be 3.73's.  You will want 4.30's...unless the majority of your driving is on the highway.  But with 2 OD gears in the trans....it doesn't really matter.  

And if that's all you are going to do with it...just go with the F150.  The smaller size and much better mileage will be beneficial to you in suburbia.  You'd be looking at 12mpg with the SD
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if you're buying new but if so the new EB 3.5 will have 450ft/lbs of torque and a 10 speed auto.
Should be able a smooth riding truck with tons of power.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I just would feel more comfortable with the 5L.  I feel like the turbos would make the engine a lot more expensive to fix if anything did go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The Super Duty with 6.2 is great if you need it but you can expect about 12 to 13 mpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They are baby turbos and are very reliable. The concern is unwarranted.

EB has been out for 6 years now. If there were any major concerns we would have seen them by now.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just would feel more comfortable with the 5L.  I feel like the turbos would make the engine a lot more expensive to fix if anything did go wrong.

They are baby turbos and are very reliable. The concern is unwarranted.

EB has been out for 6 years now. If there were any major concerns we would have seen them by now.

Well thats good news.  Are there significant MPG differences between the two EBs?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in a similar spot.
2012 f150 cc, 3.5l EB with the slightly longer bed.

I tow stuff on occassion that is a bit heavy for comfort with the truck, and I'd like to get a 30' car hauler trailer. So I am looking at other trucks than 150s.

I test drove the new Nissan Titan with the Cummins diesel the other day, and it seems like a great in-between truck that would be just what  I need. But they missed their price point, I can get a similarly equipped f250 diesel for hardly any more, or less since I can get X plan pricing with Ford.

I think I am going to wait for the 2017 f250 to be released and see what improvements are made to the 6.2 gas. I have read that the new transmission will provide better gas mileage, so I hope that is true.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I am going to wait for the 2017 f250 to be released and see what improvements are made to the 6.2 gas. I have read that the new transmission will provide better gas mileage, so I hope that is true.

View Quote

I'm willing to bet they do nothing to that dinosaur engine.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that engine is replaced with a higher displacement or higher boost EB engine in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#12]
You know... there are actually a handful of 09-14 f150s that have the 6.2.  I've owned a couple 5.0 and I felt like you really had to wind it out to get the power out.  I now have an ecoboost and I'm impressed with the power but carbon buildup issues makes me a little weary.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
So the truck I originally bought for work was a 5.0.  While it was a good truck and had pretty good fuel mileage for running around town and stuff, I just didn't like it.

My current truck is a 6.2, and I am much happier with it. Yes, the mileage does pretty much suck, and there's (most)days my 6.0 PSD gets more to the gallon than it, but I like the power and torque over the 5.0. Yes, it is still "slow", but I'm not usually speed racering around with it.  

It also sounds pretty badass when you lay it out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am in a similar spot.

I tow stuff on occassion that is a bit heavy for comfort with the truck, and I'd like to get a 30' car hauler trailer. So I am looking at other trucks than 150s.

I test drove the new Nissan Titan with the Cummins diesel the other day, and it seems like a great in-between truck that would be just what  I need. But they missed their price point, I can get a similarly equipped f250 diesel for hardly any more, or less since I can get X plan pricing with Ford.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I am in a similar spot.

I would love to see where you got that info on improvements to MPG for the 6.2 next year.  What Ive read is that the Superduty isn't losing much weight (think its only like 350lbs) since they sacrificed the majority of the weight savings on the body for heavier duty parts around the rest of the truck.  But I would love to see if they are upgrading the 6.2's!

Quoted:
You know... there are actually a handful of 09-14 f150s that have the 6.2.  I've owned a couple 5.0 and I felt like you really had to wind it out to get the power out.  I now have an ecoboost and I'm impressed with the power but carbon buildup issues makes me a little weary.

I would love a 6.2 but they all come with the old all steel bodies.  I wonder how significant the differences are between the 6.2 with the heavier body and the 5.0 with the lighter body?  Im guessing the 6.2 still gets the nod for power but the MPG reports Im seeing from the 5.0 (and seeing confirmed throughout this thread) are hard to ignore.

And Coronado, I don't drive like a speed freak either, so I hear ya!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a gnarly crash. Glad to see the truck held up well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad you're ok man!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glad you're ok man!
View Quote

This!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top