Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2016 10:27:38 AM EDT
Just trailered it home yesterday.  Not running but the engine isn't too taken apart.  Guy said it was running when he took it apart to make a few minor changes then wife hit him with the D papers.  Interior though needs to be replaced.  Body has very little rust which is what I was looking for.  Don't have a problem with mechanical but body work is beyond me.  289 with manual 4 speed.  No AC for now but that's 1st on the list after getting it running.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

I have a Dart 331 long block sitting in my garage that was going to go in my 95 Cobra.    Instead of screwing with Ca smog crap I am just gonna buy a cream puff 65-67 6cyl and toss the 331 into it and go restomod.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Before you put an interior in that little gem be sure the vent tray
is not full of rust holes and leaking.  It's a common problem that
is not always addressed during a re-paint.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Also have a metal plate welded behind the back seat so that in the event of a rear collision the gas tank and gallons of fuel are not pushed into the passenger area.  (undocumented design flaw)
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips.  Right now what I'm thinking is get it running so I know where I stand.  Have a bit of fun driving it around, then pull interior and send off to get the body blasted / painted / any rust repaired.  Though this will depend on the costs.   I'm not sure what that will be.  I got the car for a good price so I've given myself a budget of 8k for working on it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips.  Right now what I'm thinking is get it running so I know where I stand.  Have a bit of fun driving it around, then pull interior and send off to get the body blasted / painted / any rust repaired.  Though this will depend on the costs.   I'm not sure what that will be.  I got the car for a good price so I've given myself a budget of 8k for working on it.
View Quote

Double that. A complete strip down, media blast and start from a bare shell is most likely $10K alone.

Leave it and do the mechanicals for new and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Double that. A complete strip down, media blast and start from a bare shell is most likely $10K alone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what Scott says.  Do a complete mechanical restoration NOT a physical / body one.  I have done many of these muscle cars spending 10s of thousands on them with 3 of them selling at Barrett-Jackson.  Once you start on the body, it's $10,000 just to make it look 1/2 ass decent (rust, panels, primer, sanding, labor, paint, clear, trim, bumpers, glass, etc.)  Plus when you have $25,000+ in a coupe you'll be so upside down in it that you're better off selling it and buying a restored one for $25-30,000.  

Do this, leave the body alone, do all the mechanicals and interior, put some nice global west or hotchkis suspension on it and a set of Vintage Wheels 17" V-45's along with a 400hp crate 5.0 EFI (fox body style 5.0) and TKO 5 speed and have a blast with about $15-20,000 in it total.  Spend the money on the drivetrain.  You'll be much happier as you won't be worrying about every little knick or scratch in your $8000 paint job.  Trust somone who's done this many time and wished he'd gone the route that I'm telling you to take.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
wish to god my 68 was a four speed car. or even wish it was a three speed 6cyl car just so I had the pedal assembly and wouldnt have heartburn about wanting to cut up a 60 thousand mile car to put a stick into it. I always wanted to build a pissed off 347 stroker and turn it into an open road racer. You are already ahead of me on that one though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wish to god my 68 was a four speed car. or even wish it was a three speed 6cyl car just so I had the pedal assembly and wouldnt have heartburn about wanting to cut up a 60 thousand mile car to put a stick into it. I always wanted to build a pissed off 347 stroker and turn it into an open road racer. You are already ahead of me on that one though.
View Quote

Unless your 68 coupe is a #'s matching California or Colorado special, install the 4spd and know one will care or even notice.  Hell it will actually increase the value.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unless your 68 coupe is a #'s matching California or Colorado special, install the 4spd and know one will care or even notice.  Hell it will actually increase the value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much agree. Its next on the block after the pro street POS that wont ever go away gets finished.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice.  I think your right about not going overboard on fixing the body.
I wasn't able to touch it last weekend due to being sick as a dog.  Goal for this weekend is to sort through all the new parts and pieces ( 7 boxes worth ) and figure out where the engine stands mechanically.  I'm good at taking stuff apart and fixing it, but starting with an engine half apart is a bit of a challenge.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice.  I think your right about not going overboard on fixing the body.

I wasn't able to touch it last weekend due to being sick as a dog.  Goal for this weekend is to sort through all the new parts and pieces ( 7 boxes worth ) and figure out where the engine stands mechanically.  I'm good at taking stuff apart and fixing it, but starting with an engine half apart is a bit of a challenge.
View Quote
Small block Ford is very easy to work on, find some good shop manuals, and a copy of this...

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do what Scott says.  Do a complete mechanical restoration NOT a physical / body one.  I have done many of these muscle cars spending 10s of thousands on them with 3 of them selling at Barrett-Jackson.  Once you start on the body, it's $10,000 just to make it look 1/2 ass decent (rust, panels, primer, sanding, labor, paint, clear, trim, bumpers, glass, etc.)  Plus when you have $25,000+ in a coupe you'll be so upside down in it that you're better off selling it and buying a restored one for $25-30,000.  

Do this, leave the body alone, do all the mechanicals and interior, put some nice global west or hotchkis suspension on it and a set of Vintage Wheels 17" V-45's along with a 400hp crate 5.0 EFI (fox body style 5.0) and TKO 5 speed and have a blast with about $15-20,000 in it total.  Spend the money on the drivetrain.  You'll be much happier as you won't be worrying about every little knick or scratch in your $8000 paint job.  Trust somone who's done this many time and wished he'd gone the route that I'm telling you to take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That makes alot of assumptions about what the OP wants to do with it though doesn't it?  I'm restoring a 66 GT now, and will likely end up upside down in it. Don't care.  

I WILL be picking up a 68 Fastback GT in the next couple years though, and I'll likely buy that already restored and/or lightly modded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey at least with mustangs there is a chance the value will go up. I sunk a small house worth of money into an A body mopar that will never be bought by someone for more than 5 grand. Im going to be buried in that car.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That makes alot of assumptions about what the OP wants to do with it though doesn't it?  I'm restoring a 66 GT now, and will likely end up upside down in it. Don't care.  

I WILL be picking up a 68 Fastback GT in the next couple years though, and I'll likely buy that already restored and/or lightly modded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My comment was based on his budget, nothing more. I have $37K sunk into a '66 GT Fastback. No fucks given.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey at least with mustangs there is a chance the value will go up. I sunk a small house worth of money into an A body mopar that will never be bought by someone for more than 5 grand. Im going to be buried in that car.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
May we ask a round about figure on what you paid for it?

My kid just drug a 68 Fairlane in my yard I think he paid to much for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you asking me,  I picked it up for 6750.  I'm currently at 7100 after renting the dolly to tow it home plus taxes.  It also came with several new parts that were not yet installed....dash, seat covers, head liner, alternator, radiator, timing chain, etc.  Finally sorted all the parts out.  Work has been keeping me too busy to really start digging in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fastback or coupe?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Reading this makes me scared about owning my deville. Sell it while it runs to break even?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you asking me,  I picked it up for 6750.  I'm currently at 7100 after renting the dolly to tow it home plus taxes.  It also came with several new parts that were not yet installed....dash, seat covers, head liner, alternator, radiator, timing chain, etc.  Finally sorted all the parts out.  Work has been keeping me too busy to really start digging in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They saw my kid coming. He paid 5K and about 800 to get it to the house. It runs but doesn't stop. As in no brakes. Interior is pretty much gone. Body is some what solid though. So maybe he can get it into some kind of shape. But he is just starting out, school will be in his future(I hope) and he has no place to call his own. I guess good ole Dad will have to let it stay on his property for a while. Maybe I can bleed the brakes or do wheel cylinders and take it out and see if it will do a burn out. Not my tires! Payback is a mother!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
They arent making these old cars anymore. A three thousand dollar 5.0 foxbody is now  a seven thousand dollar car. An eight hundred dollar dodge dart now goes for three grand. Mustangs have only gone up since nick cage drove Eleanor on the big screen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They arent making these old cars anymore. A three thousand dollar 5.0 foxbody is now  a seven thousand dollar car. An eight hundred dollar dodge dart now goes for three grand. Mustangs have only gone up since nick cage drove Eleanor on the big screen.
View Quote

I did a little looking at eBay the other day for some old cars. I was surprised at what some are going for. And I really under sold my 67Bel Air to my buddy. But at least he;s doing something with it.

Op hows things going? Got it running yet?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool car op.

Don't let those guys scare you away on what these cars cost to fix up. If you do the work yourself you can save a ton of money (it will take a lot longer though) and that is assuming you have all the tools and equipment necessary. I would build it as a driver,  don't sweat the small details and drive the heck out of it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top