Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2016 12:31:58 PM EDT
We have a 2001 PT Cruiser,bought new with 100,000 miles on it. Currently besides the heater not working it runs fine. My wife likes the looks of a 4 door Cooper so were going to start looking at used ones a year or two old. Whats the consensus on these? Are they pretty reliable? break down a lot?  who has them and could you chime in?..thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm on my second one, I love it. I have not had any issues on either of them.

btw, get the "S" model!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
POSs
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The only issue we have with ours, is that the alarm system goes off 10+ times a day and is apparently not disableable... Oh and the dealer continuously tells us it's working normally. 2012 btw
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a 2011+ for reliability reasons.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have a 2001 PT Cruiser,bought new with 100,000 miles on it. Currently besides the heater not working it runs fine. My wife likes the looks of a 4 door Cooper so were going to start looking at used ones a year or two old. Whats the consensus on these? Are they pretty reliable? break down a lot?  who has them and could you chime in?..thanks
View Quote

It is designed and built by bmw.  Think about that.  A english brand run by germans.  How do you think it would turn out.

Spare yourself the hassle and just get a current gen Mazda 3 or Scion/Toyota iA if you want a good smaller car.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
We did the same thing.   Wife really liked it, peppy, enormous room inside for such a small car

but
they aren't cheap.  A Decent S model countryman is 35,000!!!!!!!!!!  I mean seriously?

the reliability is terrible
consumer reports--very bottom
car and driver -- even they bitched about what a unreliable car it was and they never complain about that type of stuff.

We didn't buy one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't imagine paying much money for a platform that OLD

And i mean OLD as in "Austin Powers" was still funny when this car was first featured in the series
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a Cooper Mini, no?

Everyone I know who has one has had troubles with it,... lots!  No one would buy another.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've known several people with '02-'08ish models.....they all had to spend a small fortune on them. Worn timing components and cylinder heads/cams cost all of them $. All the cars had well under 100k miles.

I have no idea if the newer ones are any better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 2013 Clubman six speed non-turbo and it was an excellent car. Never give me any trouble and I got damn near 41miles per gallon on the highway. 37 mpg overall in my daily commute. Great car, excellent build quality, fun to drive easy to park.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've known several people with '02-'08ish models.....they all had to spend a small fortune on them. Worn timing components and cylinder heads/cams cost all of them $. All the cars had well under 100k miles.

I have no idea if the newer ones are any better.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Coworker had one and loved it. Until he had to buy tires and do the brakes and any other general maintenance.  He recommended it for those with deep pockets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I know a few people with them, and they are all a pain in the ass.

The cars, not the people.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I got one, 2007 JustaMini. Transmission went out 2 years ago,Aisen tranny also used by VW and Toyota. Both which recommend fluid changes at 40k miles. But not Mini, which like BMW sez it's a lifetime fluid.

Other than that, no problems. Good car to haul Freightliner junk around.

My Mom has an 08,"S" and is now doing the MTTS right now.

Brother and I think she's nuts.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then why don't you own it now?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a 2013 Clubman six speed non-turbo and it was an excellent car. Never give me any trouble and I got damn near 41miles per gallon on the highway. 37 mpg overall in my daily commute. Great car, excellent build quality, fun to drive easy to park.

That's what immediately came to my mine too.  If it was so great why did he he dump it in under 3 years?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's what immediately came to my mine too.  If it was so great why did he he dump it in under 3 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably ran out of warranty. I bought a hardtop S for the wife and I can't wait to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Anything is better than a PT Cruiser!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

1985 Yugo GV?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
They stopped making Mini's when the English plant closed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1985 Yugo GV?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1985 Yugo GV?

Toss up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top