Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 5:39:33 PM EDT
I was driving my '94 Toyota 4Runner when a deer leapt in front of me.  My grille, and hood was smashed.  Both headlights gone.  Driver side fender crushed all the way to the driver's door.  Radiator bled like a stuck pig.   Now I'm told the frame is bent.  Per the auto shop, it's about $5k to fix.  Is it worth fixing a bent frame?  The 4Runner ran great up to then.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you get a decent shape one cheaper than 5K to replace it then harvest the wrecked one of nice and spare parts? If so, I would say no.

If like other 90's SUV's the stupid obama car thing artificially increased thier value, then it might be worth it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive hit a few deer at highway speed in my time and never saw a bent frame due to one.  Get it back and replace everything else yourself or continue to have the body shop replace everything but I doubt you'll notice anything different due to their bent frame claim.

The only real possibility I can fathom is if it hit dead center of the bumper and pulled the rails slightly together. call other shops and see what it'd cost for a minor straightening job due to deer damage. Unfortunately they may not comment on price without seeing it or a better insight into where and how it's tweeked.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive hit a few deer at highway speed in my time and never saw a bent frame due to one.  Get it back and replace everything else yourself or continue to have the body shop replace everything but I doubt you'll notice anything different due to their bent frame claim.

The only real possibility I can fathom is if it hit dead center of the bumper and pulled the rails slightly together. call other shops and see what it'd cost for a minor straightening job due to deer damage. Unfortunately they may not comment on price without seeing it or a better insight into where and how it's tweeked.
View Quote
Do you live in a place where deer are the size of dogs with antlers like in the south?

Where I live I've seen cars and trucks get accordioned from hitting deer at speed.  Hitting 2-300 lbs of animal at speed is no joke.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you get a decent shape one cheaper than 5K to replace it then harvest the wrecked one of nice and spare parts? If so, I would say no.

If like other 90's SUV's the stupid obama car thing artificially increased thier value, then it might be worth it.

View Quote

I would try to find one with high miles or bad drive train and do a swap.  Or keep drive train as a spare.

Just poking around craigslist looks completely doable for less than 5k
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would want to see some proof/verification that the frame is actually bent...
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe the bent frame story. Grill, hood, headlights, fenders are all very soft parts.

The frame mounted bumper is going to see minimal load as it clips the legs of a deer, while the heavy body of the animal does impressive damage to the parts mounted on top of the frame.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a string and start measuring diagonals.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, this. You should be able to find a collision repair manual online for that model year that will have specs

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
No. Cost of repair exceeds the vehicle value.  So unless it's something  low mileage, sentimental value thing then it's officially totaled.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I doubt the fram is bent from a deer hit, body shop just wants money from the insurance company
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I doubt the fram is bent from a deer hit, body shop just wants money from the insurance company
View Quote

To be fair, what person carriers comprehensive on a 25+ year old 4runner?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Pics?

Not saying it is right but I have seen guys get frames pretty close with stragically placed chains and hard points. I cannot imagine a deer would completely trash a frame. Measure well and get it straight. 5k might sound a bit high, but I don't know what that entails.

Or possibly find a donor frame rail?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Toyota so it's still probably worth like $15k even though it's 25 years old.

I carry it on my 1996 XJ due to having quite a few accessories added to it , adds a whopping $24 to my premium every 6 months through USAA and they will cover up to 5k in accessories with receipts, it's worth it just in case I run into a deer.

Covers damage caused by something other than another vehicle such as hail, theft, or collision with an animal. $5000 limit may apply to custom equipment and glass replacement may be subject to your deductible.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
A bend in the frame is a "Bent Frame"   Many would rather just dog pile the damage, call it a total loss, then cut a check to be done with it.....Dismantlers LOVE these.  What matters it the extent of damage and location...used to be these places referred to as "Frame & Alignment" Shops that could tell you how badly it is or isn't, then pull it back into alignment....modern uni-body pretty well killed off that business, but there are still folks out there that can do the work; might be worth your time.
FWIW: I have straightened frames using chains, trees, and a come-a-long...rudimentary yes, but it worked for that truck.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep comprehensive on my 27 year old RamCharger, and on my 25 year old pickup.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the frame got bent by hitting a deer around here. Some of these suckers get big.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I keep comprehensive on my 27 year old RamCharger, and on my 25 year old pickup.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the frame got bent by hitting a deer around here. Some of these suckers get big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our oldest car is a '01 Impala and I carry comprehensive on it:  all the "accidents" we've had have been Animal or Ice/Snow related. (snow & ice fell off the roof onto the hook & windshield on one car) Collision is expensive and if we wreck it, so be it I'll absorb the cost, but if its something like a fire, or Deer or even more likely a Cow committing suicide in front of the car then it's covered and most likely would be totaled, especially IF the airbag deploys then it will be.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#18]
$5k to fix the truck or $5k to fix the frame?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Surprised by all the damage.  On the flip side I hit a deer doing 65mph in a 04 Tacoma and all it did was bend the housing on one headlight.  It was a bumper strike, but the frame was fine.   If the truck is totalled, ask to keep the truck if insurance will carve out a few hundred bucks on the check.  I did this and kept a Volvo S-80 for $400 ( at least scrap value) and then had a guy work for me and he got it as payment and restored it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comprehensive = fire, theft, vandalism

Collision = fix it if I caused the damage/was at fault
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Animal hits are usually a comprehensive claim.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comprehensive insurance is dirty cheap, collision and liability are what drive up costs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
a deer bent the "frame" on my 92 sonoma 4x4 doing 40. Well to be accurate, the part of the frame which the bumper mounts to bent. The shop just replaced that part (which was replaceable).

With the other guys who said go to a different shop. Betting the shop you went to is trying to scam $ from the insurance company.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#24]
If the damage to the frame is such that it doesn't affect the alignment...it's fixable. However, it may not be worth fixing on a 22 year old vehicle.

Guys, the OP is from Colorado...mule deer up there can easily range from 150-300 lb. West Texas mule deer can tear wheel assemblies off a 1 ton truck at 70 mph.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Auto shop doesn't think the frame is bent (friend who looked at it did).

Anyway, factory parts are super expensive $514 for a pair of headlamps.  I can get aftermarket for $60 each.
Factory bumper is $809 and chrome Autotrust brand is $202 (5 yr warranty).
Factory radiator is $764 and aftermarket is $269.48 (CSF)
Factory grille is $429 and aftermarket from PartsGeek is $23.98 to $32.98 (black & chrome respectively)
Factory hood for $439 v. Autopartswarehouse for $181.27
Factor driver side front fender for $279 v. Autopartswarehouse for $104.58

How good are after-market products?  Are there any aftermarket to be avoided?

BTW, CO State Trooper estimated the deer to be 200 lbs. min.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#26]
if aftermarket parts were good wouldn't the OEMs use them as OE parts

They will probably be good enough for you though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Aftermarket body panels are made from thinner steel and rarely ever line up as well, but with care they can be made to look great. I can't even imagine how many old Chevys & Fords are driving around looking better than new with LMC Truck body panels on them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
if aftermarket parts were good wouldn't the OEMs use them as OE parts

They will probably be good enough for you though.
View Quote

I've actually seen aftermarket panels fit better on JK's than OEM panels. At least with the aftermarket grille the headlights were centered in the cutout.

To add to the poster who is above this post…LMC purchases the tooling from the OEM when the OEM retools for the new body (or at least they used to before the Chinese aftermarket came around).

OEM front bumpers are always expensive. That's why most people (at least in Texas) usually upgrade to a Ranch Hand, Frontier or Cattleman replacement after striking a deer…same cost as the OEM bumper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#29]
It depends. Some aftermarket parts are OEM parts sold out of the back of the same factory as OEM parts. Many (most) are (poorly) reversed engineered parts that look and fit close enough that you won't know any better during installation, but they will fail in a short time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyway, factory parts are super expensive $514 for a pair of headlamps.  I can get aftermarket for $60 each.
Factory grille is $429 and aftermarket from PartsGeek is $23.98 to $32.98 (black & chrome respectively)

View Quote

I'd look for the headlamps used off ebay and get an aftermarket radiator. The rest from a junkyard or possibly used online and try to find the right color parts. Not having to get is sprayed will save a lot and probably look more appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Around here 2nd gen 4runners are the cheapest of all 4runners.  If the frame is in fact bent I'd suggest just replacing the whole vehicle and keeping the old one as a parts donor.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jesus Christ.  I'd look at junk yards for those parts (except the radiator, might as well get a new aftermarket one of those).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top