Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2016 6:05:01 PM EDT
This summer we'll be buying another used Subaru.  In searching online the Tribeca's are pretty much the same price as the Legacy, Outback, Forester, etc....maybe a hair higher but really not much.  

From searching online I can see there were not popular.  I'm just curious why?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This summer we'll be buying another used Subaru.  In searching online the Tribeca's are pretty much the same price as the Legacy, Outback, Forester, etc....maybe a hair higher but really not much.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Likely because they are quite ugly
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

That doesn't seem logical.  Google "WRX" or "STI".

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

Two nicely styled models that look nothing like the B9's ugly styling. Especially the front end treatment. The 2nd gen isn't as outright ugly. But the styling is still unimaginative Chrysler town n country grade meh
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Two nicely styled models that look nothing like the B9's ugly styling. Especially the front end treatment. The 2nd gen isn't as outright ugly. But the styling is still unimaginative Chrysler town n country grade meh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

While it's a possibility, I'm a Subaru fan...have been since I started driving my first one...a 92 Loyale.  Also know a bunch of fans.  Can't say looks are the main reasons people buy these cars.  Seems to have more to do with capability, dependability, ease of maintenance/customization, etc.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Fuel economy sucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fuel economy sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Fuel economy sucks.

That comes with the Subaru part

Even my old DL wagon only got low low 20's
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
i test drove one awhile back, the swoopy star trek dash that merged into the door panels was meh

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Fuel economy sucks.

Ok, sucked even more than the typical subaru of that era.  Like V8 pickup bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Fuel economy sucks.

The EZ36 is not known for their economy lol. I've got a Forster with the FB25 and I get high 20s at 80mph on Continental's - never understood how a 4WD getting those numbers is bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The EZ36 is not known for their economy lol. I've got a Forster with the FB25 and I get high 20s at 80mph on Continental's - never understood how a 4WD getting those numbers is bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Fuel economy sucks.

See for yourself:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/tribeca

Now look up the forester on the same website.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
First, it's ugly. I drive a wrx btw. Second it was a bit underpowered per all the subaru salespeople I know (and I know a lot of them) but I have not driven one. They are quality built though. They do have the same secondary air injection problems (smog pump rusts and sticks closed or open) as all the other subaru from 06-09. Other than that no idea why they weren't popular.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I think they were kinda pricey too.

Mighty Car Mods took an engine out of one, swapped it into a Legacy, and turbocharged it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the above posters that they were too pricy and that the styling, inside and out, didn't help matters.  However, the biggest reason is that the vehicles just didn't match the demographics of the typical Subaru owner.  And most other potential purchasers of the Tribeca migrated to more popular car makers/car lines.

I was still working at a dealership group that had Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, etc. Just about all the Asian makes except for Honda. When the Tribeca was produced, I was a former service manager at this dealer group who had semi-retired and was rotating around to all of the seven different store's service departments to fill in for vacations, trainings, firings, etc. I would see many potential Tribeca buyers shopping at Subaru but then see them later at one of our other stores with one of the other makes. Bottom line, the Tribeca didn't appeal to traditional Subie owners and there was
way too much competition with other maker's SUV's and Crossovers for the Tribeca to make any headway in the marketplace.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I leased one when they first came out.  Went on a few long road trips with six of us, four were large adults.  The transmission light came on a few times going over the mountains.  I'd have to slow down and let it cool.   Tires, if I recall are extra wide, an odd expensive size.  I never had to replace them though.  The gps map included was crap.  It would find the quickest way by bird, even want you to turn off highways and go on dirt roads.

My wife loved it though and wanted me to keep it.  I was a bit worried about its longevity costs and turned it in at end of lease.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't sell too well compared to toyota and honda offerings. Basically same fuel economy as most V8 suvs with less space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top