Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 6:34:42 PM EDT
So, I'm thinking of putting a leveling kit on my truck but run across the one described below which adds some rear lift as well.  My goal is a little more ground clearance, particularly up front and a little more ride height to match what I consider standard for a half-ton truck.  Chevy's seem to ride a couple inches or so lower than corresponding Ford or Dodge vehicles.

Seems like a minor upgrade.  My plan is to leave the wheels alone and keep the stock 17's which should leave my gearing the same.  Any experience with minor leveling/lift kits like this?  Will I see a noticeable drop in mileage or suspension performance?  The truck rides quite well.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1305-10.html

Off-Road Action has never been more affordable thanks to Rough Country's new 2.5" Suspension lift for '07 & Up GM 1500 Pickups. If you're looking for something more than a simple leveling kit, look no further! This new design utilizes our popular 2" Lower Strut Extensions combined with a set of strut spacers and rear blocks to achieve a total of 2.5" of lift - enough clearance to run up to a 285/70/17 tire - all at a price that won't break the bank! This kit includes a set of Fabricated 2" Rear Blocks to replace the OEM 1" block. Fabricated blocks offer a longer lifespan than cast blocks and are less susceptible to damage and the environment. Not only is this kit affordable, it's also easy to install, featuring a 100% bolt-on installation procedure with no need for a strut compressor to install. Lift your 1500 easily, efficiently, and cost effectively.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally speaking, at least in the Jeep comunity, rough country products are looked down upon, I've never had any experience with any of their non jeep related products. That being said, it's gotta be pretty hard to screw up a leveling kit for a pick up truck, and for only a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't feel bad about buying it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a rough country lift kit on my truck. It gets the job done and I used to take it mudding and wheeling pretty often. Never broke anything suspension wise.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally speaking, at least in the Jeep comunity, rough country products are looked down upon, I've never had any experience with any of their non jeep related products. That being said, it's gotta be pretty hard to screw up a leveling kit for a pick up truck, and for only a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't feel bad about buying it.
View Quote

Basically what this guy said.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Rough Country is fine.

I wouldn't look to them if you're building an all-out wheeling rig, but when it comes to reasonably high quality leveling kits with all necessary parts, proper fitting, clear instructions, a good return policy, and lots of experience they are quite adequate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rough Country is fine.

I wouldn't look to them if you're building an all-out wheeling rig, but when it comes to reasonably high quality leveling kits with all necessary parts, proper fitting, clear instructions, a good return policy, and lots of experience they are quite adequate.
View Quote

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I put this exact kit on my 2012 Silverado crew cab.  I did it just for looks, not for serious off roading or putting large tires underneath.  It basically makes my 1/2 ton look like a 3/4 ton.  I am very happy with it for the price....
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Do not raise or modify the suspension of a '14 and up GM truck, they have a ton of vibration issues without you doing something stupid to it. Even the wrong tires can increase vibrations to levels that will drive to crazy. If you rolled into my dealership with a modified GM truck complaining of vibrations I would ship you right down the road, if you think you are smart enough to modify your truck then YOU own it, GM is not paying to fix your fuck ups.

I've seen over 20 hours into getting vibrations to acceptable levels, and that is for a bone stock truck with OEM tires on it. The big problem with the '14 and up GM trucks is everyone wanted a stiffer frame and body mounts, now the frame becomes a tuning fork and the mounts no longer dampen out all vibrations, so all at one time acceptable vibrations now become unacceptable.

Of course the ARFcom grease monkeys know a lot more than those of use that fix these trucks for a living.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do not raise or modify the suspension of a '14 and up GM truck, they have a ton of vibration issues without you doing something stupid to it. Even the wrong tires can increase vibrations to levels that will drive to crazy. If you rolled into my dealership with a modified GM truck complaining of vibrations I would ship you right down the road, if you think you are smart enough to modify your truck then YOU own it, GM is not paying to fix your fuck ups.

I've seen over 20 hours into getting vibrations to acceptable levels, and that is for a bone stock truck with OEM tires on it. The big problem with the '14 and up GM trucks is everyone wanted a stiffer frame and body mounts, now the frame becomes a tuning fork and the mounts no longer dampen out all vibrations, so all at one time acceptable vibrations now become unacceptable.

Of course the ARFcom grease monkeys know a lot more than those of use that fix these trucks for a living.
View Quote

This sorry op, i work at a chevy dealer and have heard the same thing. I haven't personally felt the vibration in the trucks so I can't say how bad and annoying it is. On the other hand I've seen a bunch of them driving around.   so by the end of the day your the one that has to live with it.  

Heres a couple sites to read about it.link...
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  This is exactly why I'm waiting until my warranty is over before doing any mods on my truck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

At what point are you getting the vibration from a leveling kit? 1" over stock? 3" over stock?

The front components on a K2 are largely unchanged from the T9, did you have the same complaints for '07-'13.5 MY?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup.  This is exactly why I'm waiting until my warranty is over before doing any mods on my truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then you'll be bitching about the vibrations, you get from your truck. You go back to the dealer and some stupid writer will take it in under warranty and try to fix it, and won't be able to. This will cost the dealer and mechanic a butt load of money. If you brought me a truck with a vibration I would tell you a MINIMUM of 10 hours plus any parts with no guaranty it can be fixed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At what point are you getting the vibration from a leveling kit? 1" over stock? 3" over stock?

The front components on a K2 are largely unchanged from the T9, did you have the same complaints for '07-'13.5 MY?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope only '14 and later, guess you need to learn to read what I posted, GM made the frame and mounts a lot stiffer. Vibrations are most common between 50-70 MPH, and come from MORE than one source, once one is fixed you move to the next one. If you are not using a Pico scope to pick up and graph the vibrations you are just guessing where each are coming from.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope only '14 and later, guess you need to learn to read what I posted, GM made the frame and mounts a lot stiffer. Vibrations are most common between 50-70 MPH, and come from MORE than one source, once one is fixed you move to the next one. If you are not using a Pico scope to pick up and graph the vibrations you are just guessing where each are coming from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to be combative, just trying to understand.

The liquid filled mounts became original equipment on the K2, correct? Or was there an additional revision since then? Because TSB PIT3009L  addressed trucks with beam shake sometime in '09-'10, advising installers use the updated liquid-filled mounts to isolate the vibes on trucks 99-up. I would assume that since the K2 and T9 are very similar, you could resolve the problem with the same TSB.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The liquid filled mounts became original equipment on the K2, correct? Or was there an additional revision since then? Because TSB PIT3009L  addressed trucks with beam shake sometime in '09-'10, advising installers use the updated liquid-filled mounts to isolate the vibes on trucks 99-up. I would assume that since the K2 and T9 are very similar, you could resolve the problem with the same TSB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The '14 and up is completely different than any earlier truck, most issues are with the 1500,both C and K models.At some point GM is going to have to re-design there body to frame mounts.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And then you'll be bitching about the vibrations, you get from your truck. You go back to the dealer and some stupid writer will take it in under warranty and try to fix it, and won't be able to. This will cost the dealer and mechanic a butt load of money. If you brought me a truck with a vibration I would tell you a MINIMUM of 10 hours plus any parts with no guaranty it can be fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I won't be "bitching".  I was agreeing with your post.  I'm not some idiot who does a bunch of silly shit to his vehicle and then takes it to the dealer when it goes south.  Any thing I do to my truck after the warranty expires is on me.  As mentioned above my truck stays factory until the warranty is over so there is no risk of getting something denied because of something I did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No I won't be "bitching".  I was agreeing with your post.  I'm not some idiot who does a bunch of silly shit to his vehicle and then takes it to the dealer when it goes south.  Any thing I do to my truck after the warranty expires is on me.  As mentioned above my truck stays factory until the warranty is over so there is no risk of getting something denied because of something I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the hell goes to an overpriced dealer for service work anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah take it to Firestone and Jack Off Lube and have your car fucked up?

Most Indy shop do not have the equipment and training to work on the current vehicles.  You probably think nay retarded donkey can fix a late model vehicle, well most people don't have the smarts to understand how they really work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just putting the wrong tires on the vehicle can create strange vibrations, all the tires on these trucks need to be under 7 lbs road force when balanced.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 14 Silverado 1500 double cab LTZ Z71 that I leveled. To me it increased the clearance of that ridiculously low stock front end, improved the look and ride. Zero vibration issues or whatever the dealer guy was talking about.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 14 Silverado 1500 double cab LTZ Z71 that I leveled. To me it increased the clearance of that ridiculously low stock front end, improved the look and ride. Zero vibration issues or whatever the dealer guy was talking about.
View Quote

Just don't bring it to a dealer when vibration issues start, you can spend the $5K-$8K to fix the problem on your modified vehicle. I just looked at three new trucks that some sales manager took and had lifted and put oversized wheels and tires on. Now they want GM to fix the issues that they shook and couldn't sell them. I told the dealer  they want then fixed the owner and sales can foot the bill.  I branded the warranty on these trucks. I used to do it all the time on Duramax trucks that were modified, that included over size tires, the customers got to foot the bill for $4-5000 for new injectors. GM puts it right in their warranty, they don't cover modified vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just don't bring it to a dealer when vibration issues start, you can spend the $5K-$8K to fix the problem on your modified vehicle. I just looked at three new trucks that some sales manager took and had lifted and put oversized wheels and tires on. Now they want GM to fix the issues that they shook and couldn't sell them. I told the dealer  they want then fixed the owner and sales can foot the bill.  I branded the warranty on these trucks. I used to do it all the time on Duramax trucks that were modified, that included over size tires, the customers got to foot the bill for $4-5000 for new injectors. GM puts it right in their warranty, they don't cover modified vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know there are dealers that sell, as new, trucks with lift kits installed?  And that these trucks are under the factory warranty?

Did you also know that a dealer is required to prove that the modification is causing the issue?  Since even you admit that the vibration is a problem with the truck, and happens on un-modified factory vehicles, the dealerships are having an issue with denying claims due to modified suspensions....
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you know there are dealers that sell, as new, trucks with lift kits installed?  And that these trucks are under the factory warranty?

Did you also know that a dealer is required to prove that the modification is causing the issue?  Since even you admit that the vibration is a problem with the truck, and happens on un-modified factory vehicles, the dealerships are having an issue with denying claims due to modified suspensions....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dealer eats the bill to fix the truck if they modified a new truck. Fixing vibration issues on these trucks are not easy, many times it is 3-5 things causing it. On pre 14 trucks the frame had a bit more flex and the mounts were slight more forgiving, so the numerous little vibrations weren't felt by the driver. Another big vibration problem is the low quality on the rear end, American Axle quality has really gone down hill since moving to Mexico.

GM will not fix modified vehicles, so you buy a new modified truck it is between you and the dealer to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#23]
You go ahead and keep pretending that we all need to pay $100 plus an hr for your GM trained techs to fix something, most of us know better.  90% of the so called highly trained dealer techs I have encountered look at a duramax engine and scratch their head in confusion.  Good independent shops aren't easy to find, but they do exist.  Many of us are nowhere near as incompetent as you would like to imagine either. Sorry if that pisses you off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

GM will not fix modified vehicles, so you buy a new modified truck it is between you and the dealer to fix it.
View Quote

So, GM thinks they're above the law?

For the record, I should note that I own a '15 Silverado with a Rough Country lift kit on it, that I installed myself.  I should also note that GM paid, under warranty, to have my driveshaft replaced to correct a vibration AFTER I installed the lift.  They did attempt to deny the claim with out even looking at it.  I pressed the issue and reminded them that they had to prove the modification caused the complaint.  Turns out it didn't, and they fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You go ahead and keep pretending that we all need to pay $100 plus an hr for your GM trained techs to fix something, most of us know better.  90% of the so called highly trained dealer techs I have encountered look at a duramax engine and scratch their head in confusion.  Good independent shops aren't easy to find, but they do exist.  Many of us are nowhere near as incompetent as you would like to imagine either. Sorry if that pisses you off.
View Quote

That's fine when YOU are footing the bill, but you want GM to foot the bill you need to go to the dealer.

I agree there is a serious lack of talent at the dealers now a days, but most Indy shop owners and indy mechanics don't wanta spend the money to have the equipment to fix the current vehicles. I have over $20,000 in scan tools and scopes alone and I don't work on all the different cars out there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For the record, I should note that I own a '15 Silverado with a Rough Country lift kit on it, that I installed myself.  I should also note that GM paid, under warranty, to have my driveshaft replaced to correct a vibration AFTER I installed the lift.  They did attempt to deny the claim with out even looking at it.  I pressed the issue and reminded them that they had to prove the modification caused the complaint.  Turns out it didn't, and they fixed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely the dealership ate it, screwing over the mechanic for the time he had in finding the root cause.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

More than likely the dealership ate it, screwing over the mechanic for the time he had in finding the root cause.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  GM paid it.  They have to.  The modification didn't cause the problem.  It's a great law for consumers.  The manufacturer has to PROVE (not just suggest or imply) that the modification caused the problem.  They have to PROVE it.  If they can't prove it, they have to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's fine when YOU are footing the bill, but you want GM to foot the bill you need to go to the dealer.

I agree there is a serious lack of talent at the dealers now a days, but most Indy shop owners and indy mechanics don't wanta spend the money to have the equipment to fix the current vehicles. I have over $20,000 in scan tools and scopes alone and I don't work on all the different cars out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont own anything new enough to have a warranty.  Can't justify the cost of new pickups these days.  I would never expect a dealer to foot the bill for my modifying though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I dont own anything new enough to have a warranty.  Can't justify the cost of new pickups these days.  I would never expect a dealer to foot the bill for my modifying though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then go where you think they know how to fix your truck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Most independent shops can't afford the software licensing for proprietary scan tools, especially if they work on all makes and models. They are getting more and more proprietary as cars get more complex too. 10 years ago that may have been the case but not true at all anymore. Just to install a module you need to have a OEM scan tool because they need to be programmed with as-built data for each car.

Simply put you have no idea what you are talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most independent shops can't afford the software licensing for proprietary scan tools, especially if they work on all makes and models. They are getting more and more proprietary as cars get more complex too. 10 years ago that may have been the case but not true at all anymore. Just to install a module you need to have a OEM scan tool because they need to be programmed with as-built data for each car.

Many cars are real hard to program had 5 hours into program a BCM in a new Chevy Trax, took 4 emails to Europe just to get the correct software then an hour of the normal jumping through the hoops to get everything working. Reason the BCM was needed was a headlight and tail light didn't work, car had 2 miles on it. Most guys at your Indy shop would shake their head say take it to the dealer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This sorry op, i work at a chevy dealer and have heard the same thing. I haven't personally felt the vibration in the trucks so I can't say how bad and annoying it is. On the other hand I've seen a bunch of them driving around.   so by the end of the day your the one that has to live with it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so this has been very informative.  I do a fair amount of 70+ cruising and have never noticed any vibration to date.  Wouldn't it be simple enough to remove the additional pieces of the lift/leveling kit and return the truck to stock if there was an issue?

Thanks for all the responses, btw.  The truck could simply stand to sit a bit higher and I would think that some spacers and U bolts would neither damage the vehicle or void the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Many cars are real hard to program had 5 hours into program a BCM in a new Chevy Trax, took 4 emails to Europe just to get the correct software then an hour of the normal jumping through the hoops to get everything working. Reason the BCM was needed was a headlight and tail light didn't work, car had 2 miles on it. Most guys at your Indy shop would shake their head say take it to the dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit...you should look into Lexus/Toyota.  All of their code for their software is proprietary and follows no common language.  This is why they got in trouble a while back with the "accelerating cars" b/c when the governing bodies started looking at the software, no one could read it.  Just now, literally within the last month or so, there have been exactly two shops to actually crack a Lexus engine management ECU so you could actually tune it.  I don't know about other brands these days but Lexus is far from tuner friendly and has something like 10 ECU's in their cars which complicates matters even worse.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I put this exact kit on my 2012 Silverado crew cab.  I did it just for looks, not for serious off roading or putting large tires underneath.  It basically makes my 1/2 ton look like a 3/4 ton.  I am very happy with it for the price....
View Quote

This is pretty much what I'm looking for.  It sounds like it lifts the front 2.5" and the back 1".  Do you know if that's accurate?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rough Country is fine.

Yep, I had one on an 87 Chevy short box 4x and it did what what advertised. Never had issues with it and I off roaded that thing enough to break the frame in 3 places

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top