Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 7:10:40 PM EDT
I need tint on the windows of my new WRX. I have had 3M color stable on the last couple of cars. Is that a good choice?

I looked up other options and it looks like there is some expensive ceramic stuff. Is it true you need to use it on every window including the windshield or it doesnt work?

If anyone has recommendations for brands/grades it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy I use mainly installs Suntek.  Guaranteed for life against color fade and bubbles.

I have never had an issue with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought some film off of ebay. The spray is just baby shampoo and water. All you need then are clean, lint-free towels and a couple different squeegees.

As long as you buy a little extra material for the inevitable mistakes, you can save a TON over what a shop will charge. Watch some videos and practice on some of the easier surfaces (small windows), and you will get the hang of it. DO make sure you apply in a clean, bright, windless place (well lit garage with plenty of room to work in).

My results were not perfect, but you have to look really closely to see the mistakes, and I have no bubbles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have Suntek ceramic on my Tacoma. The oem rear glass is just colored glass and not a tint; it offers no uv protection.
The front is just a shade lighter from the outside, but matches from the inside.
25% rear
18% front
I had 85% on the windshield and hated the light distortion(not pictured).

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea about it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my friends owns a tint shop and he prefers Suntek, Madico, Llumar, Johnson films, and Huber Optik.  My recommendation is to go with a sputtered metallic window film if you are like me and only keep your cars a few years.  It will save a lot of money over a ceramic based tint and will only fade 10% to 15% over a five year time period.  If you are keeping your car for more than three to five years, then ceramic film will be a better choice.  I think they fade an estimated 5% over a 10 year time period and they offer better heat rejection than the sputtered films do, especially in the lighter shades.

EDIT:  This is my current vehicle with Madico 20% window film

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I tinted for a few years. We used llumar brand film. Several levels in it. Use a metalized film, it resists fading and color shift best. It's more expensive, but worth it.

As mentioned, use Johnson's baby shampoo. couple ounces per gallon of water.
You'll need a couple  squeegies and a razor blade.

1- roll window down about 1". on the OUTSIDE of the window, wet the glass. put the tint on it, backing out,  along the seal edge. film against the glass, squeeze out water. Cut the film along the top edge of the glass, then sides.spray the outside of windshield, take the film off and put on the windshield while you work.

2- roll window up, push the seal down into the door. spray window down with soapy mixture, scrape with the razor, starting at the top, all the way to the bottom, below where the seal will be in normal position. Do this twice.

3- roll window down about 1". cleat the top of the window the same way, but scrap UP this time. again, do it twice. top is more important than bottom.

4- spray the window inside.   take backing off film, spray it down. you cant use too  much spray. get it WET.  put film on window, about 1/2" below the top edge of the glass. squeegie water down. about 3/4 way, roll window up, squeegie the rest. dont roll window down for at least a week.

if your back glass is a compound curve, pay to ave it down single piece or it will look like crap.

i'm sure youtube has videos to learn from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top