Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 12:17:08 PM EDT
Some of the cars have nice styling, but overall I was never impressed.

The automaker has announced that it is killing its youth-oriented Scion brand and transitioning the models currently sold by the division to Toyota in August.

Scion was launched in 2002 in an effort to attract younger car buyers to the Toyota fray, and was successful at that. Its average customer age of 36 is the lowest in the automotive industry, but its overall sales peaked at 173,034 in 2006 and were just 56,167 last year.
View Quote

more at link:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/02/03/toyota-killing-its-scion-brand/?intcmp=hpff
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, they epic failed on that brand.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Teeners loved it at first, as did parents looking for a cheaper car option.  But out of the whole brand, the only car that I thought actually looked good was the FRS, and I see too many 35yr olds driving them still trying to be cool.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I adored my XA. This is sad news.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an '07 tC and am faaaaar from young. Guess I'm giving the brand a bad name.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Millenials dont need cars as they just drive their parents BMWs until they hit 26 and have to get a job or no insurance.  A lot of them don't even have licenses until they get into their 20s.  sad sad sad.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Target a fickle demographic, get fickle sales.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The older tC's and breadboxes looked good.  Second generation, not so much.

TC
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Riddance
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good Riddance
View Quote

This.  Stop trying to cater to a demographic that doesn't like to be catered to.  Several other brands and marketing gimmicks have struggled and died while attempting to appeal to a group that seems to value authenticity while being unable to afford it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
The best thing about scion is also its greatest downfall; they're cheap. Nice lil cars but most younger people have moved to hyundai. You can buy an actual adult looking car for the same money and more tech.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Toyota is killing its SCION brand
View Quote

No, sales killed the brand. Toyota is just pulling the plug.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The best thing about scion is also its greatest downfall; they're cheap. Nice lil cars but most younger people have moved to hyundai. You can buy an actual adult looking car for the same money and more tech.
View Quote

Except that Scion/Toyota is still a better product than Hyundai. I have a friend that is a Hyundai tech, and he says they're garbage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, you do sell more cars at $12K, than you do at $20K.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I had two Scions, both sucked.

In fact, my Toyota sucked too ...

Oh well. Like Saturn, nobody will really miss them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Not surprising.  I used to really like Toyota....now-a-days not so much.  They just don't make anything that appeals to me.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Scion TC when they first came out. Great car... sadly someone decided to hit it to the tune of $8000 in damage. Was never the same after that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a 1998 SL2. I loved that thing. Very easy to work on. The transmission filter that spun on was a plus. Just like Pontiac, ( had a 2004 Grand Prix GT ) I'll miss them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a 1998 SL2. I loved that thing. Very easy to work on. The transmission filter that spun on was a plus. Just like Pontiac, ( had a 2004 Grand Prix GT ) I'll miss them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 2001 SL2. Decent car, got good fuel mileage, but popped a HG and then ate itself.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had a 2001 SL2. Decent car, got good fuel mileage, but popped a HG and then ate itself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch! I bought my SL2 with about 40k on it in 2002 and sold it in 2005. In that time it did a round trip from NY to Missouri and back to Missouri when I moved there. As well as a few other long trips and lack of proper oil changes as my GF at the time took it to Wisconsin for a bit. In that time it needed no repairs other than basic maintenance. Fun little car that I beat the piss out of.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked my xB daily driver for the room and the fact that it had a Camry drivetrain.  However, it never got better than 25mpg, which I can almost get with my Ecoboost F150.  I dd a Rav now and it gets better mileage and is AWD.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if that 2016 Scion iA that's actually a Mazda will be rebadged as a Toyota.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top