Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 2:27:52 PM EDT
opinions?

I need to do my truck.  F'ing salt is already rusting it up underneath.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In general, the shit is amazing. I use it for all sorts of stuff like blue surfaces for long term storage. Try it on a battery terminal - it kicks ass.

I have put it on exposed car parts & subframe - it won't last too long there. It isn't like POR-15 or some actual treatment that is.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems a bit late in the season to apply it now but, excellent protection if annually used before roads are treated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Love it. Two year old Tundra looks brand new underneath after two upstate NY winters. I apply in October, reapply maybe once or twice during winter (spot applications) and come spring hose it off.

Recommended.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about your application but I sprayed that stuff on my bulldog hitch assembly and a year later I can still open the hitch with one hand.  I could not do that when it was brand new.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
want to do the underside of my 2014 ram 2500.  

are u guys using aerosol cans or paint guns?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I buy the cases on ebay of the spray cans. Literally hose down the underside of my stuff and parents. It does good but at least once or twice over winter we hit the under body wash place and re-spray the undersides again. Damn road salt and bs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, maybe I didn't really have a good control because I didn't try it but once and there was already surface rust started.

I use the squirt bottle. Great for a rag application on gun exteriors. If you folks haven't tried that it is my long term go to surface protectant and is ideal, but it is much too sticky for anything on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always bought the cans on Amazon by the case.

Chuck on an old Tyvek and spray the piss out of it. Your vehicle will smell like a wet sheep for a day or two, however
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I buy the gallon cans and use a cheap undercoating gun to spray it on.  I've heard that the cheap electric paint spray gun from Harbor Freight works well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]
about how many aerosol cans does it take?  

thinking about buying a 6 pack...
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Four or five to do my CrewMax Tundra, and I use the extra can and a half for touch ups thru winter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Four or five to do my CrewMax Tundra, and I use the extra can and a half for touch ups thru winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Pro tip: don't do it in your driveway or you will have a greasy lanolin oil slick that will dump you on your head if it's raining out. Ask me how I know

Now I back my truck onto the lawn and roll around underneath. Not very dignified, but it works.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pro tip: don't do it in your driveway or you will have a greasy lanolin oil slick that will dump you on your head if it's raining out. Ask me how I know

Now I back my truck onto the lawn and roll around underneath. Not very dignified, but it works.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Negative to Fluid Film is that you have to reapply often.  For vehicle undercoating I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protectant.  Sticks better and dries, much less touch up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Negative to Fluid Film is that you have to reapply often.  For vehicle undercoating I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protectant.  Sticks better and dries, much less touch up.
View Quote

Hmmm.  Looks good.  
More in a can for same money!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hmmm.  Looks good.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.  Looks good.  

Still recommend picking up some fluid film to get into some tougher to reach spots where it needs to drip down.  For the DD winter rig I'll coat with Amsoil and then get fluid film/hot oil sprayed on at a shop.  Afterwards drive down a dusty road to get a nice coat of dust built up.  Eastwood frame coating is also a good one to use inside the frame.

Take these steps and you won't have holes in your vehicle after 5 years of salty BS.

'98 XJ Cherokee I keep up in Vermont.  You can see the haze from the dried Amsoil product on the center caps.  No rust anywhere on this XJ, other than a bit of surface in the leaf stack -- but I've never had a truck where that doesn't happen.

The nice part about the Amsoil product because it dries, is that you can get a weekly car wash to knock off the salt without worrying about losing rust protection.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
There are least two good things about CA that aren't the result of winning the geography lottery:
1) Lane Sharing
2) What is this rust issue you folks speak of?

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are least two good things about CA that aren't the result of winning the geography lottery:
1) Lane Sharing

View Quote

my truck is less than 2 years old and its already starting.  
pisses me off.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

pisses me off.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) Lane Sharing

pisses me off.  

I have 6 cars/trucks - the newest is a '00, oldest is a '79.  The only one with any rust issues is the '85 Toyota 4wd P/U that spent 6 year in Mass...............................
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Question for you fluid film users. I bought a can for the underside of my Xterra. I applied it, but it's very thin. Goes on like WD-40. Is that normal?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question for you fluid film users. I bought a can for the underside of my Xterra. I applied it, but it's very thin. Goes on like WD-40. Is that normal?
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Then dust gets attracted to it, sticks to it, and forms a barrier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, great thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive used it for the last two years on my wifes 2010 HIghlander, and from day one on my 2015 Tundra. The stuff CT is throwing on the roads these days is bad enough to rot out the frame work for bridges, so anything you put on your frame/car is better than nothing.

Stuff sticks well, and goes on either thin or thick depending on how much you want to use. I CANNOT stand the smell of it though - to me and even my friends, it makes my truck smell like dog shit. I can't deny its uses, but after the last time I sprayed my frame in December, Ive since just resorted to some diesel in a spray bottle after I wash the truck down. I can have the frame coated with a light mist within 10 minutes and the spray bottle is easier to use than spray cans. Like I said - 'anything' is better than nothing....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top