Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnyRotten:
What's to be sorry about, keep them coming!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bravojmc:
Sorry for another picture but I wanted you guys to see the lights installed.
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a513/bravojmc/IMG_7530_zpsiclcfhac.jpg
What's to be sorry about, keep them coming!!
What he said! That looks fantastic! Show that thing off.

Where'd you end up getting the reflectors from? I'm thinking I'm going to replace mine since they're hazy, the bezel paint is faded, and one is cracked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waffleguy] [#2]
I figure it's time I quit being a creepy stalker reading this thread without contributing anything. Bought my 3rd truck this morning (birthday present for myself). Finally starting with an A1 instead of a beat up old A0. Sold the previous two before I moved from CA back to TX and feel like I've finally learned enough to contribute something. I bought a couple sets of reflectors from Jones Truck and Spring out of Columbus, OH. They are just standard truck reflectors. They aren't painted, but they are currently on sale for $1.79. Sometimes it's nice to get something without paying the HMMWV premium. Red Reflector Last order was 4 Red and 2 Amber shipped to CA for $16.

Here's the project I bought this morning. While not in the best shape, it's nice to get a running A1 as the only bidder. She will be getting turned into what I've always wanted - a tan slantback with the turbo and 4L80e. Just need to track down a set of 24 bolt wheels and a fording exhaust. As an aside, I'm planning to head back to CA to finish up the paperwork for my departure from the Navy and will be visiting Greg (86HMV on the other forums). So, if anyone is looking for something small, let me know and I'll see if he has it in his "compound".

I guess I need to become a Team Member here so I can embed pictures.

ETA: Cool, so I need more posts for my image links to work
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

What he said! That looks fantastic! Show that thing off.

Where'd you end up getting the reflectors from? I'm thinking I'm going to replace mine since they're hazy, the bezel paint is faded, and one is cracked.
View Quote
https://www.easternsurplus.net For the reflectors. I've tried the truck reflectors and they are very cheaply made imho..
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This sure was fun!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn now I want one.   Hummer plant is a few miles from my house.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#6]
Originally Posted By Waffleguy:
. As an aside, I'm planning to head back to CA to finish up the paperwork for my departure from the Navy and will be visiting Greg (86HMV on the other forums). So, if anyone is looking for something small, let me know and I'll see if he has it in his "compound".
View Quote
Waffleguy, nice to see you post. Thanks for helping with the Rhino tire carrier. If you are going by Greg's can you check and see if he has a VIC 3 mounting bracket that goes on the turret for the rear passengers? He sent me a pic with measurements but did not have any last year. Also see if he has a 6.5 na engine tucked away in there somewhere, I just haven't asked him as I usually try and have a list of things to save on shipping. Greg is also the guy I got my slant back kit from and he brought it to Texas which was great and I always recommend people check with him to see what parts he has.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I figure it's time I quit being a creepy stalker reading this thread without contributing anything. Bought my 3rd truck this morning (birthday present for myself). Finally starting with an A1 instead of a beat up old A0. Sold the previous two before I moved from CA back to TX and feel like I've finally learned enough to contribute something. I bought a couple sets of reflectors from Jones Truck and Spring out of Columbus, OH. They are just standard truck reflectors. They aren't painted, but they are currently on sale for $1.79. Sometimes it's nice to get something without paying the HMMWV premium. Red Reflector Last order was 4 Red and 2 Amber shipped to CA for $16.

Here's the project I bought this morning. While not in the best shape, it's nice to get a running A1 as the only bidder. She will be getting turned into what I've always wanted - a tan slantback with the turbo and 4L80e. Just need to track down a set of 24 bolt wheels and a fording exhaust. As an aside, I'm planning to head back to CA to finish up the paperwork for my departure from the Navy and will be visiting Greg (86HMV on the other forums). So, if anyone is looking for something small, let me know and I'll see if he has it in his "compound".

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/OwlofDarkness/722209_6002_160_0001_zpsxanu3e3l.jpg" border="0" alt="M998A1 photo 722209_6002_160_0001_zpsxanu3e3l.jpg

View All Quotes

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag26/OwlofDarkness/722209_6002_160_0001_zpsxanu3e3l.jpg" border="0" alt="M998A1 photo 722209_6002_160_0001_zpsxanu3e3l.jpg

Holy cow! Talk about join date/post count!

I seriously can't believe you were the only bidder on a running A1, that's great.

And thanks for the reflector link. If I can't find any more reasonable than the $15 Eastern is asking, I may have to just get those and paint them. I've got some flat black Alumahyde that might work pretty well to put a more durable coating than spray paint on them.

Speaking of Greg, that reminds me I had sent him a PM on SS inquiring about the new, tube style fuel sender about two weeks ago and didn't hear back from him and, I forgot to follow up. If you could see if he happens to have one of those, it would be much appreciated!

LOL! I bet!

Was it bad getting to the sender wiring and fuel intake/return lines without the access panel?

Seeing that pic made me remember I still need to pick up one of those tank side shields...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
"And thanks for the reflector link. If I can't find any more reasonable than the $15 Eastern is asking, I may have to just get those and paint them. I've got some flat black Alumahyde that might work pretty well to put a more durable coating than spray paint on them."

I didn't even look at their current price...! I only paid $7 per reflector from them a month ago...
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Holy cow! Talk about join date/post count!

I seriously can't believe you were the only bidder on a running A1, that's great.

And thanks for the reflector link. If I can't find any more reasonable than the $15 Eastern is asking, I may have to just get those and paint them. I've got some flat black Alumahyde that might work pretty well to put a more durable coating than spray paint on them.

Speaking of Greg, that reminds me I had sent him a PM on SS inquiring about the new, tube style fuel sender about two weeks ago and didn't hear back from him and, I forgot to follow up. If you could see if he happens to have one of those, it would be much appreciated!

LOL! I bet!

Was it bad getting to the sender wiring and fuel intake/return lines without the access panel?

Seeing that pic made me remember I still need to pick up one of those tank side shields...
View Quote
The H1 and Vee share the same fuel tank and components, I've been chasing down a fuel issues for months, what it turned out to be is the bladder that is plastic welded to the bottom of the tank broke loose and was moving Fwd-backwards and starving the fuel pick up sock.
I spent at least $1k replacing parts from the IP to the main tank, I'm going to drop my aux tank to make sure everything has been cleaned and checked..
BTW to answer your question it was a bitch disconnecting everything on top of the tank..
Wish I had a lift but my 8" redneck lift helped out....
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]

The H1 and Vee share the same fuel tank and components, I've been chasing down a fuel issues for months, what it turned out to be is the bladder that is plastic welded to the bottom of the tank broke loose and was moving Fwd-backwards and starving the fuel pick up sock.
I spent at least $1k replacing parts from the IP to the main tank, I'm going to drop my aux tank to make sure everything has been cleaned and checked..
BTW to answer your question it was a bitch disconnecting everything on top of the tank..
Wish I had a lift but my 8" redneck lift helped out....
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae238/JOHNGOE/IMG_20170426_153717826_zpsdfinqgii.jpg
View Quote
Ugh, I hate replacing parts and having it not fix the issue...

As for the lift, as someone once told me, if it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#11]
Sometimes it's the small stuff... Been getting some of the basic safety stuff installed like the emergency triangles and, tonight, my fire extinguisher.

Painted the base with Rapco, tossed the rusty old fire extinguisher bracket and, picked up some Quick Fist straps to replace the bracket.

I like the Quick Fists! Simple function and easy to work with. I just had to drill a couple extra holes in the Quick Fists to mount them to the base and then trim the straps and Quick Fist base sides. Very secure.

I also picked up one of the vehicular first aid kits from eBay.

Here are the contents it came with. Pack list is dated 2016 and everything is there:

Not a huge fan of the old style bandages the kit was packed with so I ditched the following:

I did keep a few but updated the kit with a CAT tourniquet, pack of QuikClot, and an Israeli bandage.

One thing I'm wondering about is where exactly the kit is supposed to go.

The parts TM shows this:

but I have no idea where that diagram is supposed to show. Is that the compartment next to the battery box? If so, my truck never came with the bracket and I'm not going to install it there. Too big a pain to get to if needed in an emergency.

I guess I can always just stick it in the compartment under the driver's seat or find another location. Any ideas?

I also started on getting my jerry can carrier installed on the rear bumper. That is turning into an adventure...

Remember way back when I posted about my new tail light buckets and LED tail lights and how they stick out further than they should? Probably not... Well, they do! And they're interfering with the can carrier:

I talked with my friend Dave who just got some new buckets to replace his when he paints his truck and compared mine to his. Looks like the ones I got are bad repros. He got his from Mac Motors so his are definitely real. Turns out Mac Motors has them for $7.04 each plus shipping. Unfortunately they have a $20 minimum order so I went ahead and ordered a couple deep water fording kit parts I had had my eye on, the selector valve and the special CDR valve.

I'm also going to have to reconsider my planned location for the carrier. I had wanted to use the outer brace mounting bolts like so:

Looks like it should fit fine right? Unfortunately, that's with the spare raised. Lowering it to the stowed position moves it left about 2", enough to interfere with cans in the carrier tray (not pictured).

I'm going to have to move it to the extreme left. So far to the left hand side that I'm going to have to trim out about a half inch of the mounting bracket so it can clear the shackle and shackle stop. It will only very slightly block the tail light and would only be an issue if you're tailgating me. Will also have to drill some extra holes in the bumper which is going to be a pain with as thick as it is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexJeepTJ] [#12]

I also picked up one of the vehicular first aid kits from eBay.
One thing I'm wondering about is where exactly the kit is supposed to go.

The parts TM shows this:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc40/ryaneruck/HMMWV/first_aid_kit_mount_zpsoiludopv.jpg

but I have no idea where that diagram is supposed to show. Is that the compartment next to the battery box? If so, my truck never came with the bracket and I'm not going to install it there. Too big a pain to get to if needed in an emergency.
View Quote
Yep, you guessed right, per the TM the original "approved" location for the first aid kit is in the side compartment in the battery box under the passenger-side chair (mine still has the bracket and footman loop there like in the diagram). Later revisions of the TM also said "at the unit commander's discretion, the first aid kit may be relocated to under the driver's seat or any other appropriate location."  Pretty sure you're your own unit commander here

Most operators put the kit under the drivers seat for two reasons:
- Easy to get to in an emergency, just like the fire extinguisher
- The metal hinge pins in the box were corroding in the battery compartment from constant exposure to all things battery-related.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexJeepTJ] [#13]
I noticed in alot of the more recent auctions (and more recently military operated HMMWV's) that they're using some sort of sleeve lock on the parking brake handle in the traditional 3LE80's to (I would suspect) keep it from inadvertently being released since there's no "lock" button like in the 4LE80 models.  It's the red piece of metal at the base of the handle in the photo:

Anyone have any idea what this "part" number, description, or title might be?  I hunted all over e-bay and google this morning and can't find any reference to it.  Seems like a great idea to make sure the truck doesn't go rolling if the guard dog patrols from the driver's seat like he tends to do when I'm away (relax, I always chock the wheels too just like in active duty).  

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TexJeepTJ:
I noticed in alot of the more recent auctions (and more recently military operated HMMWV's) that they're using some sort of sleeve lock on the parking brake handle in the traditional 3LE80's to (I would suspect) keep it from inadvertently being released since there's no "lock" button like in the 4LE80 models.  It's the red piece of metal at the base of the handle in the photo:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459757/HMMWV-ParkBrakeLock1-206901.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this "part" number, description, or title might be?  I hunted all over e-bay and google this morning and can't find any reference to it.  Seems like a great idea to make sure the truck doesn't go rolling if the guard dog patrols from the driver's seat like he tends to do when I'm away (relax, I always chock the wheels too just like in active duty).  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459757/DYoung7-206903.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the FAK info!

With the parking brake, I never even noticed there are 2 similar looking but different levers. My A1 truck has the one with the built in lock button like this so I don't have that red lockout. I checked the parking brake update MWO but I don't see any mention of it there.

My friend Dave has one on his truck that went through a reset a couple years ago. I sent him a text and he's going to check it for a PN. I'll let you know unless someone beats me to the punch with the info.

On a side note, it is a little scary how much this thread turns up on the interwebs searching for HMMWV stuff!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]

On a side note, it is a little scary how much this thread turns up on the interwebs searching for HMMWV stuff!
View Quote
I have noticed that too. Its probably because we have covered a big range of topics such as vendors to buy from, different tops, paint and painting techniques and a lot more.

Also too bad that swing out can carrier won't fit as is. I wonder if the Ibis Tek ones fit with the Rhino Tire Carrier or only their tire carrier? Either way, the gas can carriers seem very hard to find but one is on my wish list.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, this is a great way to start the weekend.

Still trying to figure out the ramifications of this, whether this is BMV HQ only reiterating that ORVs titled as ORVs can't be operated on road or if this is going to affect retitled trucks or if this will eventually affect all MVs in Ohio.

I really don't want to have to deal with a legislative battle to enjoy my truck, God knows I've got better things to do, but if it comes down to it I will.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw that thread and your response. You need to get the word out on other sites too like G503, I think they have a section for it. In addition you should FOIA their office and ask for any internal emails and correspondences regarding the issue to see what is going on and to put them on notice at the same time. Or move to Texas with the rest of us where its super easy and titling isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

I saw that thread and your response. You need to get the word out on other sites too like G503, I think they have a section for it. In addition you should FOIA their office and ask for any internal emails and correspondences regarding the issue to see what is going on and to put them on notice at the same time. Or move to Texas with the rest of us where its super easy and titling isn't an issue.
View Quote
Damn! That is a really great idea! Thank you!

As for Texas, I've been tempted a time or two but heat and humidity are my nemesis. I've got my eye on Northern Idaho. That said, I won't rule it out. If you all secede, I'm packing a box truck with the HMMWV in tow! I can count on a couple of you guys for citizenship sponsorship, right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
That said, I won't rule it out. If you all secede, I'm packing a box truck with the HMMWV in tow! I can count on a couple of you guys for citizenship sponsorship, right?
View Quote
Oh hell yeah.  Bet there'll be a bunch of HMMWV parts available too once you cross the border as a new citizen of the great state.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I read the steelsoldiers link above.  Some of the members there not only relish in the ban on hmmwvs, but they support it.  Without hmmwvs, I feel like the military vehicle hobby will virtually die out in the next 15-20 years when all the old fellers are gone.  Guys my age (30) are not going to be restoring 70-90 year old Willys jeeps and nothing else modern will be released to us.  Its going to be trailers and LMTVs and a bunch of old Deuces.

Thanks, government.

Back to the point, there was something passed in KY recently that regards getting an inspection and a real VIN number for MVs.  It doesn't specifically name hmmwvs, but I 'think' this is a good thing for them too?  Anybody have experience with that?  My county's DMV website went as far as putting up a specific message about not road titling humvees, so I'm hoping this changes things.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:13:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#21]
Originally Posted By Aguas:
I read the steelsoldiers link above.  Some of the members there not only relish in the ban on hmmwvs, but they support it.  Without hmmwvs, I feel like the military vehicle hobby will virtually die out in the next 15-20 years when all the old fellers are gone.  Guys my age (30) are not going to be restoring 70-90 year old Willys jeeps and nothing else modern will be released to us.  Its going to be trailers and LMTVs and a bunch of old Deuces.

Thanks, government.
View All Quotes

Thanks, government.
Yeah, it's strange. They don't seem to realize they're cutting their nose off to spite their face.

It's like I mentioned before here, this is literally the same scenario as we face with MG owners and getting NFA repealed. You've got folks who have HMMWVs that leaked out initially for sale back in 1999 (and ironically were sold with off road only branded bills of sale originally!) that enjoyed an exclusive little club for about 16 years, along with the premium price of ownership if you wanted to join that club.

All of the sudden the market is flooded with these trucks and their "investment" is no longer all that special and worth all that much.

I guess if they wanted an investment, they should have bought gold instead of having sour grapes over their trucks.

Back to the point, there was something passed in KY recently that regards getting an inspection and a real VIN number for MVs.  It doesn't specifically name hmmwvs, but I 'think' this is a good thing for them too?  Anybody have experience with that?  My county's DMV website went as far as putting up a specific message about not road titling humvees, so I'm hoping this changes things.
If you can, find out what legislation went through in KY regarding that and share it here. It could be very useful to us here in Ohio since Ohio's and Kentucky's government work so closely together on a number of things.

There was a member here that posted a number of pages back about Kentucky taking issue with titling HMMWVs, including ones with valid out of state road titles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aguas] [#22]

Hopefully this image will work.  It is what I found recently on a facebook group.  The guy who posted it is telling folks that this means an inspection and titling for hmmwvs, but for all I know it may lay out in no uncertain terms that hmmwvs will never be street legal in KY.  I'm hoping for the former interpretation, in which case I am gonna have to start warming my wife up to the idea of having a second military vehicle and I'm gonna have to build a garage addition with a door wide enough to get a hmmwv into.

Right now my county's DMV website states that it will not give road titles to hmmwvs in particular.  But this legislation does not take effect until July 1st, I am told.  I should call the DMV this week and see if they know anything about these changes.

Edit:  Found the actual wording of the bill and skimmed through it.  I am no lawyer or law maker, but it does not name any one vehicle by model.  It does state that the transportation cabinet may require modifications to a military vehicle prior to issuing a VIN number and continuing with titling.  That is a huge gray area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18221922_10209061984692431_7020911541356171528_n.jpg?oh=ed08414b54d3d8624cbd317caa21e692&oe=59AF598D

Hopefully this image will work.  It is what I found recently on a facebook group.  The guy who posted it is telling folks that this means an inspection and titling for hmmwvs, but for all I know it may lay out in no uncertain terms that hmmwvs will never be street legal in KY.  I'm hoping for the former interpretation, in which case I am gonna have to start warming my wife up to the idea of having a second military vehicle and I'm gonna have to build a garage addition with a door wide enough to get a hmmwv into.

Right now my county's DMV website states that it will not give road titles to hmmwvs in particular.  But this legislation does not take effect until July 1st, I am told.  I should call the DMV this week and see if they know anything about these changes.

Edit:  Found the actual wording of the bill and skimmed through it.  I am no lawyer or law maker, but it does not name any one vehicle by model.  It does state that the transportation cabinet may require modifications to a military vehicle prior to issuing a VIN number and continuing with titling.  That is a huge gray area.
View Quote
Image worked perfect. That's awesome and very helpful!

The requirement for modifications are likely for simple stuff like lighting, bumpers, and other safety equipment in the event they aren't equipped with said items. But, since most MVs are built to MIL-STD-1180B specs which closely mirror FMVSS, I would say there would be minimal mods needed for most MVs, HMMWVs especially.

I would definitely say that bodes well for the future of HMMWV ownership in the Commonwealth!

Given how closely OH and KY work together, this could also be great ammo in us getting something similar passed here. It's precisely the type of protection these trucks and MVs in general need.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#24]

View Quote
FOIA doesnt apply to states unless elected.  Ohio might have their own rules but its not FOIA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Dace:
FOIA doesnt apply to states unless elected.
View All Quotes

FOIA doesnt apply to states unless elected.
You guys are both right.

FOIA is a federal level act but, Ohio has an Open Government Unit and, has Open Meetings Act and Open Public Records Act (collectively Ohio Sunshine Laws) which are our state level equivalent to FOIA.

I'm reading up on the manual now and have an inquiry into the Auditor's Office to see if I need to file the Open Records/Meetings request through them or a specific point of contact within the BMV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
What're the hmmwv parts guys contact info again? I want to see about getting the parts to install AC in my hmmwv.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#27]
Originally Posted By An51960:
What're the hmmwv parts guys contact info again? I want to see about getting the parts to install AC in my hmmwv.
View Quote
AC as in Red Dot or other? I was hoping retiredwarhorses on steel soldiers was going to come up with a nice aftermarket unit, but I have not seen any progress. Anyway below are the vendors I have used.

86humv (member on g503 and steel soldiers)
Mac Motors
Hummer PArts Guy ( will answer your emails and probably your best bet for AC parts)
Equipment Parts Sales
Kascar (hit or miss)
Eastern Surplus (over priced)
And then the WTB section on g503 and ss forums and other hummer stores such as Blue Hummer Outfitters
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Or... If you want to be a guinea pig for us you could give this A/C unit a try.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#29]
In other news... It looks like I'm going to need to start keeping screen shots of content posted to the SS Ohio Titling thread.

Apparently trashing your own state's politics and praising another poster's (Texas, I might add) will get your post edited. That's a new one for me...

Also, asking a senior Kentucky member who commented about SB176 not applying to off road branded HMMWVs why he thinks that and what his thoughts are on non-branded HMMWVs like the M1123s and M1045s is a reason to have your post deleted with no notice or PM from a mod. Even if you'd like to know the details of the legislation in the event that you'd like to have your local legislators get in contact with the author of SB127 and potentially author a similar Ohio bill but with specific off road HMMWV protections if needed.

So much for being a site for the advocacy of MVs and MV beneficial legislation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#30]
That's why I prefer g503 as they allow open conversation about issues and even have a Legislative forum and of course here as we are all in this together as a hobby and I can post about guns at the same time. SS needs to grow up and get with the times if they want to attract newer members and keep the hobby going. Plus the no gun thing is very confusing since its goes with the hobby. I do think a lot of them are like the old machine gun owners and want to keep the exclusivity and prices high on their investments. I bet most don't put any miles on theirs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you think there is enough room under the hood with the radiator and oil cooler already under there?
If not, maybe it would work with a body lift. I read that there was a 2" body lift for the turbocharged models to provide extra clearance under the hood for the turbos. One reason I keep going back and forth on what type condenser to get is I like the wheel well for not adding crap and heat to the engine bay, but I like under the hood to keep the lines shorter and everything more or less in one area (without worrying that a rough ride would destroy the wheel mounted one).
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Ryan, how much was the first aid kit and where did you get your add-on goodies? And how much?

Have you seen the larger size on thebay? Do you know how big it is actually and if it'll fit under the seat?

What do you have stored under your seats?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
I saw a slightly cheaper version from the same folks. I might pick it up for all of the other parts and see if I can cobble together a solution.

On a side note, I'm just about half an hour from Kascar and never even knew they were there. I stopped by and picked up one of the wheel well condenser units today for $155. Since there was no shipping, it was about $120 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them.

They only have right sides. Seems there is a slight angle to it that would make it more than just a simple turn-around to make a right side work for the left.

I'll let you know more later as I still don't have a truck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you think there is enough room under the hood with the radiator and oil cooler already under there?
If not, maybe it would work with a body lift. I read that there was a 2" body lift for the turbocharged models to provide extra clearance under the hood for the turbos. One reason I keep going back and forth on what type condenser to get is I like the wheel well for not adding crap and heat to the engine bay, but I like under the hood to keep the lines shorter and everything more or less in one area (without worrying that a rough ride would destroy the wheel mounted one).
View Quote
Just look at a pre 2004 H1, mine has a turbo, 2 batteries, air compressor all under the hood, no body lift.
2006 Alpha has a 2" BL, a geared drive fan, intercooler and everything listed above.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Just look at a pre 2004 H1, mine has a turbo, 2 batteries, air compressor all under the hood, no body lift.
2006 Alpha has a 2" BL, a geared drive fan, intercooler and everything listed above.
View All Quotes
On the civilian side, in 1996 a 3/4" body lift was introduced to make room for the turbo.  So your 2004 indeed has slight body lift over the 1st gen HMMWVs.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features/ChangesByYear/Year-by-YearDifferences.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:

On the civilian side, in 1996 a 3/4" body lift was introduced to make room for the turbo.  So your 2004 indeed has slight body lift over the 1st gen HMMWVs.

View Quote
Your right, to me it looks like a ordinary body bushing
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Sorry, I don't know why I said "your 2004".  

Yours is a 2002 isn't it?  Lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
There might be room in the cooling stack for that condenser and fan but no way to know for sure since they don't give a height for either the condenser or fan.

There's pros and cons to each location for sure. One big upside to having the condenser in the cooling stack is you'll get the benefit of that mechanical fan that moves 10,000 cfm.

Ryan, how much was the first aid kit and where did you get your add-on goodies? And how much?

Have you seen the larger size on thebay? Do you know how big it is actually and if it'll fit under the seat?

What do you have stored under your seats?
I paid $25 shipped for that kit. Haven't seen the bigger ones. Got a link to it? Not sure how much space you're working with though. Your truck has the standard seat base, mine came with the updated highback seat base which has a compartment in it. Someone with the standard base could probably say though.

The add-on goodies I pulled out of my prep stash, purchased some time ago. Pretty sure the QuikClot and Israeli bandages came from a seller on eBay that specializes "expired" surplus med supplies. I can check if you want. I think I got most of the CATs from my brother when he got out of the Marines, he had a stack of them and gave me some. I think I bought some too though.

Currently under my driver's seat is my front plate I'm supposed to have per the state of Ohio () and my document binder (came with the truck) with my registration, insurance, etc.

Nothing aside from batteries under the front passenger seat at the moment.

I saw a slightly cheaper version from the same folks. I might pick it up for all of the other parts and see if I can cobble together a solution.

On a side note, I'm just about half an hour from Kascar and never even knew they were there. I stopped by and picked up one of the wheel well condenser units today for $155. Since there was no shipping, it was about $120 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them.

They only have right sides. Seems there is a slight angle to it that would make it more than just a simple turn-around to make a right side work for the left.

I'll let you know more later as I still don't have a truck.
I saw that one as well but, it's about 8,500 BTU smaller.

Just an FYI on the wheel well condensers, you will want both sides for a 4 man truck. The single side is for the 2 man. The one by itself just won't do the job. I do remember reading that on, I think, G503.com about that A/C setup.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone having titling issues yet?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
All over the place unfortunately, even in some states with HMMWVs being sold with clear titles.

Since all states handle ORVs and street legality differently, we can only go with information as it comes up. As far as I know, no AZ residents have jumped in with details on the registration process or I'd make sure to add it to the OP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#41]
All over the place unfortunately, even in some states with HMMWVs being sold with clear titles.

Since all states handle ORVs and street legality differently, we can only go with information as it comes up. As far as I know, no AZ residents have jumped in with details on the registration process or I'd make sure to add it to the OP.
View All Quotes

Arizona has lots of mixed messages.  I called our DMV and they said it wouldn't be an issue, however that probably means nothing once you actually walk in and try to do it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
I agree with Ryan, its all over the place and can not only vary state by state, but office to office. Even here in Texas there is one office near me that won't do it and the other it takes about 15 minutes with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Sorry, I don't know why I said "your 2004".  

Yours is a 2002 isn't it?  Lol
View Quote
2003, I just thought the 04 was the same as all the others size wise, other than a different cross over pipe, when I bought mine at Lynch I test drove a 04, it didn't feel like it had any more power then mine, the mechanic there kind of persuaded my towards the 03's because of the cat computer...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
I've been seeing another HMMWV running around town near me for the past couple weeks. Still no luck on finding out who owns it but it's got NY plates on it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#45]
The bigger one (first aid case) is about 11x10.5x7.5 according to the listing. First aid box.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]
The bigger one (first aid case) is about 11x10.5x7.5 according to the listing. First aid box.
View Quote
Interesting... Looks like you could fit quite a bit in there. It's way too big to fit under the driver's seat of either base though. You could fit it under one of the rear seats no problem.

Was sitting here getting my oil changed on my work van so I'm just browsing around and reading.

@TexJeepTJ, looks like you may have been smart getting in on one of the early M1045s. It appears the new ones being sold may well be demiled to the point of being seriously hacked up.

That's a damn shame.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#47]
@TexJeepTJ, looks like you may have been smart getting in on one of the early M1045s. It appears the new ones being sold may well be demiled to the point of being seriously hacked up.

That's a damn shame.
View Quote
I just read that part of the thread -- interesting, I'll have to look at the upcoming M1045 auctions and see exactly what they say regarding the demil code.  Thanks for the heads up Ryan!  The first and second rounds were all code "Q", so lets hope they stick to that and don't change their minds post-sale.   Since I got mine on the first round of 5 being sold, the second round saw prices spike up to the $50K mark for equipment that didn't look near as pristine as in the first.

The EUC status page still says "pending", and I got a call from Iron Planet a couple weeks back saying "Hey, just wanted to reach out to the 5 of you who bought these and let you know we haven't forgotten about you" which was nice. He basically reiterated that this is the first time these have been sold, so they're still working the paperwork through not just DLA and TSC, but the Marine Corps and DoD.  He also said that despite being a previously approved buyer which would normally expedite the EUC, this paperwork probably wouldn't clear until late June with all the extra agencies, so not to expect it until sometime in July.  I'll be pissed (and Iron Planet will have some 'splaining to do') if they change the code before pickup and demand that the thing be demil'ed.   That would be a mess that I'm not sure how I'd handle, so let's keep our fingers crossed that some bureaucrat along the way doesn't change their mind before signing off on the release and I can race out to Yermo and grab it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TexJeepTJ:
I just read that part of the thread -- interesting, I'll have to look at the upcoming M1045 auctions and see exactly what they say regarding the demil code.  Thanks for the heads up Ryan!  The first and second rounds were all code "Q", so lets hope they stick to that and don't change their minds post-sale.   Since I got mine on the first round of 5 being sold, the second round saw prices spike up to the $50K mark for equipment that didn't look near as pristine as in the first.
View Quote
So looking at the 1045's up for auction on June 27th, they have definitely changed the description:  6.5L Diesel Engine, Automatic Transmission, 4x4, 10,300 lb. GVWR, 4 Door, Hard Top, Slant back, Tow Carrier Body, 37x12.50R16.5 Tires. ***Buyer will need to complete and submit a Hold Harmless Agreement before scheduling pickup.***The turret and its components are subject to further demilitarization per DoD regulations.***

I pulled up the listing of the one I bought: 6.5L Diesel Engine, Automatic Transmission w/Park & Overdrive, 4x4, 10,300 lb. GVWR, 4 Door, Hard Doors, Hard Top, Slant Back, Tow Carrier Body, 37x12.50R16.5 Tires. ***Buyer will need to complete and submit a Hold Harmless Agreement before scheduling pickup.***No further demilitarization is required. The HMMWV is available for pick up as shown.***

Will be interesting to see if/how they handle this...with some luck I can get it out of CA before the June 27th auction takes place and the process begins for the new buyers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm sure this won't help you sleep any better TexJeepTJ but...

As was the case with the HEMTT sales, getting the truck into your possession will definitely help. Don't know if you saw anything on that fiasco.

There were some folks who had bought trucks and were waiting for the paperwork to clear with their trucks still in the sales yards when Uncle Sam said, "Sorry, we'd like those back. We're going to refurb them instead." They had their paperwork invalidated, money refunded, and had to walk away with no truck with no other recourse.

Folks who had their paperwork clear and had gotten their trucks removed in time were asked to please return them so Uncle Sam could refurb them but so far as I know, no one did and nothing further has been done about it. They still have their trucks.

That said, as slim a possibility as it is, at any point with any of our trucks, Uncle Sam could say, "Sorry bub, we want our equipment back for whatever arbitrary reason, here's your money back," or "We've changed our mind on the demil requirements on these trucks. You need to now demil it as we're telling you now or else," they technically could. I seriously doubt we'd ever see this done with equipment in private hands because of the shit storm it would cause but, the possibility does exist.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Anybody have a two door truck still?  I barely spent any time in any of the unarmored hmmwvs and at the time I didn't care to pay attention to things like this, but I'm curious what keeps water from just running up the 'bed' and into the cab.  If this registration thing proves true in KY I very may well be after my own and it may end up sitting outside for a winter before I can get around to my new garage project.

From what I've seen it looks like a guy can get a decent 2 door rig out of auction for $7500; is that correct?  I know the bodies are aluminum and the hood is fiberglass, but how are the frames and other steel parts under the trucks that people are getting?

Its funny how things change, but I remember being at BAF and having a 4 man softtop hmmwv with no power steering, no doors and thinking how I'd loved to just been issued a small pickup truck instead.  Now I'm in civilian land and I'm pining for the hmmwv.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top