Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 101
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ordered one today just before the listing closed.  Crossing my fingers.

Should have dropped your name Ryan, to give you some credit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FKAM:
Ordered one today just before the listing closed.  Crossing my fingers.

Should have dropped your name Ryan, to give you some credit.
View Quote
Haha! "Ryan sent me"

If they're as nice as Ed is saying, I think we'll enjoy them.

According to FedEx, mine should be here tomorrow.

Also, my Vanner battery equalizers should be showing up as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bravojmc:

https://www.easternsurplus.net For the reflectors. I've tried the truck reflectors and they are very cheaply made imho..
View Quote
I checked the ones I ordered and they are an exact match for what was/is currently on my truck. Even down to the Grote part number. Then again, I guess nothing says they did put some cheap truck reflector on the truck in the motorpool.

Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

Waffleguy, nice to see you post. Thanks for helping with the Rhino tire carrier. If you are going by Greg's can you check and see if he has a VIC 3 mounting bracket that goes on the turret for the rear passengers? He sent me a pic with measurements but did not have any last year. Also see if he has a 6.5 na engine tucked away in there somewhere, I just haven't asked him as I usually try and have a list of things to save on shipping. Greg is also the guy I got my slant back kit from and he brought it to Texas which was great and I always recommend people check with him to see what parts he has.
View Quote
No luck on my interactions with Greg. I actually saw your slant back kit when it was still on his truck out in CA. I was trying hard to buy it off him, but he had already sold it (to you). (Eventually I tracked down another that will hopefully be here next week.) He was great as a source of parts and knowledge while I was there in CA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Holy cow! Talk about join date/post count!

I seriously can't believe you were the only bidder on a running A1, that's great.

And thanks for the reflector link. If I can't find any more reasonable than the $15 Eastern is asking, I may have to just get those and paint them. I've got some flat black Alumahyde that might work pretty well to put a more durable coating than spray paint on them.

Speaking of Greg, that reminds me I had sent him a PM on SS inquiring about the new, tube style fuel sender about two weeks ago and didn't hear back from him and, I forgot to follow up. If you could see if he happens to have one of those, it would be much appreciated!
View Quote
Ya, I've been reading for years, but rarely feel like I have anything positive to contribute, so my posts have been pretty limited. I think 10 of my 12 were probably over in the EE. No idea why everyone else avoided my "running" A1. Could have something to do with the lack of service brakes and massive oil leak. It was however the perfect truck for me. The first one I bought from Barstow was in perfect mechanical shape with a detuned 6.5 that was about 5 months old when I bought it. The body however was a hot mess. I figured the body was easy to repair and didn't want to mess with pulling engines or transmissions. Oh how wrong I was. My attempts with alumaweld and the like yielded crappy results, and I never really enjoyed looking at such a rough body. So the second time around, I went with a perfect body and plan to play with the engine this time. Already have a turbo take-out on the way. Assuming I can cobble it all back together, this route should be much better. Time will tell...

What’s really funny, is that my posts are still limited to 2000 characters as a “new” member. Doesn’t really matter to me, but makes me laugh when the site tells me I’m a “new” member. Maybe after 14 years I’ll be “old”…
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
All this talk of laptops has me rethinking my plans to use a tablet as the primary interface in the vehicle. In my time spent in the military, I was heavily involved in the use of tablets for mapping and communications between aircraft and ground units. There are some cool things out there and I still have a plethora of maps for that use. USB cameras talk to tablets easy enough, but I never saw anything like that actually fielded (except BFT). I may have to re-think that plan altogether. Also hadn't seen the SS thread about VIC-3 interfaces, but that should work well with the VIC-3 I'm trying to piece together. Just one more thing to add to the list...

Well I had a little time today and was pulling stuff out of the garage and got all of the VIC 3 stuff together as shown below. Mounted one of the lite systems and need to find a way to hang the headsets from the turret ting and find the rear bracket to mount the rear crew box.

First are the VIC full versions.

Next are the lite versions which are easier to fit in an hmmwv but lack some of the easier audio inputs as seen on the full versions.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/IMG-20170519-114122-resized-20170519-050044032-211983.JPG

Also thought I had an engine lined up and went to meet but it wasn't a 6.5 and for a 6.2 was really in bad shape. Did get a quote on a rebuilt 6.2 for $2500 but for that price I will go with a 6.5 and drive train from Southern Metals. Just trying to avoid that trip.
View Quote
Jake, if you end up with leftover boxes, I'd definitely be interested. Thus far I've managed to track down a few cables and the radio shelf mount, still a ways from a functional system. We'll see if Greg or Austin ever get any more in. As for your motor, ran across a guy in FL that had some turbo motors that might be able to source an NA for you if interested. Mine is still in transit, but has been good to work with thus far.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:50:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#6]
Heard back from GJ on keys for the dock.

Good Morning,

Unfortunately we no longer carry any parts for this docking station. A locksmith may be able to assist you.

Thank you,
Sales
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good Morning,

Unfortunately we no longer carry any parts for this docking station. A locksmith may be able to assist you.

Thank you,
Sales
Knowing corporate methods, I can't believe there aren't other docks in their current lineup that don't use the same lock. Maybe I need to go through and check...

@EdwardAvila, do the keys you got have any specific key number on them? Otherwise, hopefully you can get copies made.

Originally Posted By Waffleguy:
All this talk of laptops has me rethinking my plans to use a tablet as the primary interface in the vehicle. In my time spent in the military, I was heavily involved in the use of tablets for mapping and communications between aircraft and ground units. There are some cool things out there and I still have a plethora of maps for that use. USB cameras talk to tablets easy enough, but I never saw anything like that actually fielded (except BFT). I may have to re-think that plan altogether. Also hadn't seen the SS thread about VIC-3 interfaces, but that should work well with the VIC-3 I'm trying to piece together. Just one more thing to add to the list...
One nice thing is the GD laptops have touchscreens and I think most of the Toughbooks do too so, if you're used to a touchscreen interface, you have that option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:30:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By EdwardAvila:
I can post pics of the key (I only got one)- but yes, it has DIRAK written on one side, and D0205 on the other. Doug mentioned that he's tried getting keys made but has been unsuccessful.
View Quote
Perfect! Key markings are exactly what I needed. Was afraid it might not have any.

I just checked our company's parts availability and we don't stock Dirak lock products but, that doesn't necessarily mean we can't get them. I've got an inquiry into our parts department. If we can, I'll see if I can't buy a batch, assuming they're all keyed alike that is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#11]
I received mine today and might have a slight issue with the screen. It has two bright spots on the left edge. Its visible in full light but very noticeable in lower light and on a darker background or maps. Seller says its normal for Toughbooks, but I have been around Panasonic Toughbooks and now Toughpads my whole gov career and haven't see this. Otherwise it looks new and functions fine.

Lights on

Attachment Attached File

Lights off. If you look closely you can see the knobs on the VIC 3 glowing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#12]
Did a little bit of research, and I think I have the correct key blanks for the Toughbook docs.
They seem to be a 7 pin 137 or 1137 (at least that's what seems to be the closest match). I ordered a few to test.

I also think they can be cut with a hand tool that's available, but it's $300+
http://www.hudsonlock.com/uploads/7/0/1/1/70116369/pocket-3_orig.jpg

There are a number of Chinese/Korean knockoffs for the tool, but they seem to be for smaller keys (7, 7.5, and 7.8mm) where these keys are 9.53mm.

There are also way more expensive options, and electrical options, but this is a simple solution, just expensive.
Haven't pulled the trigger yet. (working on getting set up as a dealer, but first order needs to be $750!)
View All Quotes
Did a little bit of research, and I think I have the correct key blanks for the Toughbook docs.
They seem to be a 7 pin 137 or 1137 (at least that's what seems to be the closest match). I ordered a few to test.

I also think they can be cut with a hand tool that's available, but it's $300+
http://www.hudsonlock.com/uploads/7/0/1/1/70116369/pocket-3_orig.jpg

There are a number of Chinese/Korean knockoffs for the tool, but they seem to be for smaller keys (7, 7.5, and 7.8mm) where these keys are 9.53mm.

There are also way more expensive options, and electrical options, but this is a simple solution, just expensive.
Haven't pulled the trigger yet. (working on getting set up as a dealer, but first order needs to be $750!)
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get these keys. Our parts department indicated they were in touch with one of our suppliers waiting for a reply on price. Still need to get in touch with Doug to see how many he might need.

I received mine today and might have a slight issue with the screen. It has two bright spots on the left edge. Its visible in full light but very noticeable in lower light and on a darker background or maps. Seller says its normal for Toughbooks, but I have been around Panasonic Toughbooks and now Toughpads my whole gov career and haven't see this. Otherwise it looks new and functions fine.

Lights on

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/IMG-20170523-203738-resized-20170523-085225942-215179.JPG

Lights off. If you look closely you can see the knobs on the VIC 3 glowing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/IMG-20170523-204045-resized-20170523-085253278-215180.JPG
I haven't had much time to play with mine yet since I've been busy all day but when reading this I thought it might be something to do with that DynaVue feature these displays are supposed to have according to that review I posted earlier. So, I finally got around to firing mine up.

Didn't see any bright spots at first look so I fired up a screen homogenuity test to look for backlight bleedthrough. Can't say I saw any like yours Jake...

(No, that time isn't correct either. I had to set that. I just did this test a little bit ago.)

Also, I know I'm buying a used laptop but, I did request hand select as part of the deal and with Ed describing his as looking like it was never touched, kind of expected something similar. This is what I got though.

The beat up up dock port kind of scares me. I guess I'll know for sure if anything is the matter when I get the dock powered.

(Also note the worn vertical scroll on the touchpad.)

I suppose without knowing what the rest of the selection looks like, excluding Ed's since it was a premium model, I can't really judge if this was truly a "hand select" or not but, ignoring the blemishes, overall it seems like a nice package. The blems do kind of gives it that "tossed down the driveway" look...

Windows bloat seems to take up a lot of the rather limited hard drive space. I'm going to finish setting it up to see how much free space I end up with but I could easily see a hard drive update in the future.

I did test the GPS function with the help of the included WinFast Navigator app which will show you incoming GPS data.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:43:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#13]
Almost forgot... My Vanner Vann-Guard battery equalizers showed up today!

I had to take a pic because these things are huge. I was honestly thinking they'd be about half the size they are.

Plans are to install them in the compartment next to the battery compartment. Going to have to see how they fit.

I'm going to have to do some more reading on the monitor outputs to see how they can be used. These things apparently have a number of battery monitoring features.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
@EdwardAvila and @jake-cutter,
Have you guys tried out the GPS functionality on your laptops?

I've been trying mine with both the WinFast Navigator app that was included and an old copy of Streets And Trips I  had handy. Navigator will occasionally pick up a sat or 2 but it's typically poor signal and I get no speed or direction data. S&T won't even pick up any sats. It does see the GPS device on COM3 (same as Navigator) in configuration but it also sees one on 6. Not sure what's up with that.

Even tried leaving the laptop open on my dash and going for a 20 minute drive. Nothing...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
@EdwardAvila and @jake-cutter,
Have you guys tried out the GPS functionality on your laptops?

I've been trying mine with both the WinFast Navigator app that was included and an old copy of Streets And Trips I  had handy. Navigator will occasionally pick up a sat or 2 but it's typically poor signal and I get no speed or direction data. S&T won't even pick up any sats. It does see the GPS device on COM3 (same as Navigator) in configuration but it also sees one on 6. Not sure what's up with that.

Even tried leaving the laptop open on my dash and going for a 20 minute drive. Nothing...
View Quote
Have you tried downloading something like Topo Fusion and using the live tracking?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#17]
Thanks Ed!

Looking at the description of it, it does indeed look like it should have a different radio.

Originally Posted By Dace:
Have you tried downloading something like Topo Fusion and using the live tracking?
View Quote
Yeah, Streets and Trips is supposed to do that with turn-by-turn navigation. It's not picking up anything.

The Navigator app the laptop came with looks like this.

Attachment Attached File

It's supposed to at least give rudimentary speed, direction, and lat/lon data real time.

I was indoors when I just took that but, with clear sky view, it will sometimes pick up a sat or 2 only with poor signal and I get no telemetry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The GJ mount for the dock just got here.

Unfortunately the mounting bolts come nowhere near close to lining up with the ones on the dock.

So much for "standard GJ mount pattern"...

Should be an easy fix though. Going to relocate the mounting feet on the dock.

The dock housing isn't sealed, the internals are supposed to be, so I'm not worried about the openings.

Looks like the mount will work well otherwise with the tilt, pivot, and slide adjustability.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Wouldn't it be easier to just make an adapter plate out of some thin sheet metal with 8 holes drilled into it (4 for the base screws & 4 for to install round head screws) to mate up with the that mount?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
Wouldn't it be easier to just make an adapter plate out of some thin sheet metal with 8 holes drilled into it (4 for the base screws & 4 for to install round head screws) to mate up with the that mount?
View Quote
I was going to do that but then I noticed the mounting feet on the dock are only held on with screws.

I'll just run some self tapping screws into the dock where I need the feet for the mount. This way I don't have to spend the time cutting out a plate, drilling it, and then painting it. I just put the feet where I need them and screw them down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Ryan, I was able to pick up more satellites, but the compass and speed did not work.

Attachment Attached File

Also, mine seems to be in better condition as shown below. In the pics below what looks like wear marks on the side are just reflections. No blemishes except a little mark where the hard drive goes as I am sure the original hard drives and memory was removed. Overall after adjusting the screen I am happy with it for what we paid and the features. Now for the mount to arrive tomorrow, just a little disappointed to see its not a direct fit but will make do.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, if you were wondering what the inside of the GJ dock looks like, this is it:

You know that thing that looks like a switch on the front? Not a switch! Not anything really...

You could, however, add an actual switch and wire it in line with the positive input which is what I'm going to do.

Also, not overly impressed with the job GJ did sealing stuff up. I fully expected some sort of conformal coating on the PCBs but near as I can tell, the white stuff you see is the only sealing.

I think I'm also going to remove the PCBs from the chassis and give them a solid coating of Konform. I've used this stuff at work to seal up PCBs that are in non-sealed housings in harsh environments and it works great to seal up the board!

Here are the relocated feet. Didn't really take much effort. On the two holes on the furthest right, nearest the right hand side PCB, I went ahead and used the short screws the feet came with so they wouldn't contact the PCB but the other ones I used my larger self tapping screws.

Now the dock bolts up to the mount!

Also went ahead and updated the plug:

This dock will definitely be more ruggedized by the time I'm finished. I'm surprised that GJ would do so little to ruggedize the dock for such a rugged laptop.

Oh, and an FYI, if you don't have any external antennas to hook up to the dock, I'd recommend covering these pins or the contacts on the laptop to keep the antenna wavelength from being off. There's supposed to be a plastic cover that screws over them but, it's clearly long gone.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Ryan, I was able to pick up more satellites, but the compass and speed did not work.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/GPS-215784.JPG
View Quote
That's way better than what mine is doing.

This is the best I can pull after leaving it run for 5 minutes under a 100% obstruction free view of the sky near a field on the side of my house.

Attachment Attached File

I did manage to get Streets and Trips to get a sat fix on 3 satellites as well but it was dropping it off and on.

Definitely thinking there's something wrong with the GPS on mine...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#25]
Ryan, contact the seller Doug through ebay and ask to swap that one out with another one. He answered all my questions via ebay and was very helpful.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#27]
Ryan, contact the seller Doug through ebay and ask to swap that one out with another one. He answered all my questions via ebay and was very helpful.
View All Quotes
I did and I've got a new unit on the way with a return label. Definitely appreciate that!

I guess we should all have sent our bases to Ryan for the upgrades... now I'll have to buy the waterproof connectors and crimpers, and the rest of his fancy sprays and waterproofing for the boards.

Or I could spray the inside with expanding foam, wrap it in duct tape and a garbage bag and set it on a lazy Suzan. (Jk)

So is Topo Fusion the preferred map solution?

Regarding keys, I haven't pulled the trigger on the key cutter but I have some blanks inbound. If they fit, we can move to the next step if you can't get them from work (or I'll try cutting them on a CNC).
Duct tape is for the lightweights. Gotta step up to the Gorilla Tape if you want real sealing power!

And that's no joke... I've actually used Gorilla Tape to seal up the seam between both sides of my grafted together auto shelter. No leaks! It's good stuff!

I'm eager to see what map recommendations there are besides Topo Fusion as well.

ETA: Garmin Basecamp looks interesting but it doesn't work with serial GPS devices.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm going to have to do some more reading on the monitor outputs to see how they can be used. These things apparently have a number of battery monitoring features.
View All Quotes

So have you found any thing that connects into the diagnostic port to monitor the batteries? And you are right about them being a lot bigger than I was expecting. Still thinking of picking just one up and seeing how it goes.

I guess we should all have sent our bases to Ryan for the upgrades... now I'll have to buy the waterproof connectors and crimpers, and the rest of his fancy sprays and waterproofing for the boards.
I was thinking the same thing, especially since I just shipped him the VIC 3 could have thrown this in the box and had him take care of it for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
So have you found any thing that connects into the diagnostic port to monitor the batteries? And you are right about them being a lot bigger than I was expecting. Still thinking of picking just one up and seeing how it goes.
View Quote
Not as such...

The manual does give a pinout for the connector and the needed connector type but, it doesn't mention any specific accessories for that purpose.

The manual does mention: "This unit provides fault signals that can be wired to warning lights, buzzers or other control/warning devices."

So it sounds like there's no plug and play solution, rather, they set it up so that it can be wired in by manufactures of things like transit buses and motor coaches who would install a warning/status panel of their own.

Not necessarily a bad idea in this situation where you could assemble your own panel where you want it. And it would give you a lot more system information that the simple volt meter on the dash! Like the alarm low/high would be good for catching a regulator going bad or a warning lamp for the unit itself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay, just heard back from our parts guy on the keys. He's saying our supplier is quoting $4.75 per key regardless of quantity, no markup at all by me (I can show you the text exchange!).

I'll probably just order 2 for myself but if anyone else wants any, let me know and I'll order them.

Going to get with Doug and see if he still wants 200.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Not as such...

The manual does give a pinout for the connector and the needed connector type but, it doesn't mention any specific accessories for that purpose.

The manual does mention: "This unit provides fault signals that can be wired to warning lights, buzzers or other control/warning devices."

So it sounds like there's no plug and play solution, rather, they set it up so that it can be wired in by manufactures of things like transit buses and motor coaches who would install a warning/status panel of their own.

Not necessarily a bad idea in this situation where you could assemble your own panel where you want it. And it would give you a lot more system information that the simple volt meter on the dash! Like the alarm low/high would be good for catching a regulator going bad or a warning lamp for the unit itself.
View Quote
Ryan you should buy alarm cable for the VIC 3 control box and use the pin out to wire it up. That way you could hear it through the headphones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#33]
Ryan you should buy alarm cable for the VIC 3 control box and use the pin out to wire it up. That way you could hear it through the headphones.
View Quote
The way I read the manual, the pins on the alarms only ground when the condition state is met so you would need a tone generator of some sort.

You would then apply positive voltage to the tone generator, the fault state would trip and ground the tone generator, and then the tone could be passed through the VIC alarm cable.

Of course, I'm assuming that the VIC alarm interface is only an audio in. Guess I should check and see if it has a built in tone generator.

That might be a fun side project to design! Personally, I would still want to go with a visual warning indicator as well.

I'm almost done with modifying the dock (minus the addition of power cutoff switch, need to go to RadioShack if I can find one still open, or MicroCenter and find the right type maybe a waterproof one). Pics of the Konform treatment soon...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#34]
Dock PCBs now have a Konform coating. It dries in 30 minutes, cures in 24 hours.

Sprayed everything down with contact cleaner first then dried with a hair dryer on low. Masked openings and plug connectors I didn't want sealed. Did 2 coats. Figure that should be enough.

Been thinking about pulling out my S3 box and giving it the same treatment just in case.

ETA: Found the switch type for the dock so I can power it down. It's an R13-66. Found a waterproof one on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I loosely set the mount on the radio tray. Sits high, might look at the mongoose mount without the tilt and just the swivel or something else to lower it. Mine bolted right up using the plate that was on the docking station. If I remove the plate and relocate the holes like Ryan did it will sit only about a 1/2" lower. When the laptop is there and open I can't see out the passenger side windshield. Needs to be lower.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Received my computer and doc today.  Looks good overall with a little scraping on the Dock interface.  Tested the GPS and received 10 to 12 sats.  The Lat/Long was within a few secs on my multi$K Trimble, so good to go on that.  Battery was dead, trying to charge it tonight.  Hopefully it isn't toast.  I'm sure these are ex-military.  The stylus is tied with a piece of 550 cord gut.

Going to put it in the HMMWV and plug in the DAGR antenna on the outside of the A-pillar and see how things work.

Ryan, I second the Gorilla tape statement.  I repaired large sections (1'x2') of dry rot on the soft top with it, along with some plastidip and it is holding good and water tight so far.  Total cost of about $3.  It was in such bad shape I figured I didn't have anything to lose.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Received my computer and doc today.  Looks good overall with a little scraping on the Dock interface.  Tested the GPS and received 10 to 12 sats.  The Lat/Long was within a few secs on my multi$K Trimble, so good to go on that.  Battery was dead, trying to charge it tonight.  Hopefully it isn't toast.  I'm sure these are ex-military.  The stylus is tied with a piece of 550 cord gut.

Going to put it in the HMMWV and plug in the DAGR antenna on the outside of the A-pillar and see how things work.

Ryan, I second the Gorilla tape statement.  I repaired large sections (1'x2') of dry rot on the soft top with it, along with some plastidip and it is holding good and water tight so far.  Total cost of about $3.  It was in such bad shape I figured I didn't have anything to lose.
View Quote
Mine was dead too. Charged up fine no problem.

If you want to check your battery's "health", do the following:

1) Click the "Start" button and type "cmd" in the search box
2) Right click on "cmd" and select "Run as administrator"
3) At the command prompt type "cd %userprofile%/Desktop", hit enter
4) Type "powercfg - energy" and hit enter
5) On your desktop, open the energy-report.html file and down at the bottom there is a "Battery Information" section

I'm assuming the number it churns out is mAh. My battery is at about 70% capacity of it's original life.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Ryan,
Thanx, I ran it and it said design capacity is 56452 and last full charge is 29484.  So it looks like I have about 50% if I interpreted things right.
It will run about two hours just sitting before shutting down, so I may be still looking at a new battery some time soon if I want to run anything unplugged.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FKAM] [#39]
Ryan,

Also forgot to mention.  My dock came with a plate bolted to the four mounting points on the underside that reduced the bolt pattern and looks like it would match up with the GJ mount you purchased.
The "standard GJ mount pattern"... you mention may have taken this into account.  that plate may have been taken off of your mount.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Ryan,

Also forgot to mention.  My dock came with a plate bolted to the four mounting points on the underside that reduced the bolt pattern and looks like it would match up with the GJ mount you purchased.
The "standard GJ mount pattern"... you mention may have taken this into account.  that plate may have been taken off of your mount.
View Quote
Yeah, it would seem... It's sounding more and more like I didn't get the "hand select" I requested, which is disappointing, but at least my GPS issue is getting resolved. Just my luck though...

Speaking of GPS, I saw you mention you were going to try hooking up a DAGR antenna to the dock. After reading the owner manual for the laptop and seeing the dock internals, I don't think that will work because of how they've set up the connections.

If you were thinking of hooking it into the SMA port on the back, that's actually wired to the pin for the WLAN antenna for WiFi.

The GPS external antenna is actually run through the WWAN/cellular connection which is the TNC connector on the back. If you installed an external cellular antenna it should help augment GPS reception.

External Antennas
The vehicle dock integrates GPS and WWAN antennas with switching capability. You can also connect an external RF antenna to the dock using the SMA RF connector on the back of the vehicle dock.

I almost bought a PR-1 DAGR antenna myself since that SMA connector on the rear looks like one should be connected to it before I put 2 and 2 together.

I'm going to be mounting up a Laird cellular band antenna that was deinstalled from a site that I kept. It will be compatible with the cellular functions of the laptop if I decide to go with a cellular plan for it and it should boost GPS reception.

It's this without the bracket:

I don't really need the ground plane antenna since it's getting mounted right to the truck but, it's integrated into the antenna.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Good Info,

You also saved me the effort of finding the manual.  This site just keeps getting better.

Thanx
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Been working on getting the radio tray and laptop mount situated. Didn't really fully install it since it's going to need a pressure washing (it's got mold and other nastiness all over it) and I'm going to give it a fresh coat of CARC when I do the truck (decided I'm going to wait until after Haspin Acres to do that).

Set up in the truck:

SINCGARS tray removed. The power block comes out with 6 screws on top. It's going to need a thorough cleaning too. Plenty of sand everywhere:

Since I didn't have any future use for the SINCGARS tray I figured why let it go to waste. Used it to make a side for the radio tray thinking I'd mount the VIC crew station to it. Made from the bottom plate of it:

Didn't like how close it was to a possible passenger sitting in the seat. Also hard to see the controls:

So I think it's going to go up on the air box. I'll have to install some rivnuts to anchor it:

Matching side plate for the driver's side:

Should be enough room for the crew station on this side with the cables and box clearing the shifter:

As you can see from the couple pictures above, I also got the dock mounted up. It's far enough forward that when slid all of the way to the front the rear of the dock touches the dash. It does block a bit of the passenger's side windshield from the driver's seat but not too badly.Still have a view of the side mirror and can lean forward to see what's in the spot the screen is in. Everything except the crew stations mocked up:

Still need to drill some holes for the master control and crew stations and, pick up some 1/2" bolts for them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Ryan did your docking station come with the adapter plate on the bottom as shown below? I like what you did as it sits lower, but looks like some of ours came with adapter plates. I got a mongoose mount on the way to see if I can make it sit lower but it looks like I will have to drill the adapter plate to make it sit as low as possible.

Attachment Attached File

Also had a little time today to strip the power block off a radio mount. Now to find a way to mount it upside down underneath the radio tray and out of site, it will need longer screws. Then I need to pick up the long highway cable for the rear and fab up a mount. Augi should be getting the phone/laptop adapter boxes done soon and then that project is complete.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#44]
Ryan, you could cut those side plates down a little more and move them further underneath and have the boxes flush with the edge as shown in the pic below (pic from g503). Having in front of the passenger might be a mess once you add the highway cables, bailout cable and headset cable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#45]
Ryan did your docking station come with the adapter plate on the bottom as shown below? I like what you did as it sits lower, but looks like some of ours came with adapter plates. I got a mongoose mount on the way to see if I can make it sit lower but it looks like I will have to drill the adapter plate to make it sit as low as possible.
View All Quotes
No, apparently yours, FKAM's, and Ed's came with that and mine didn't. It worked out okay though. I'm glad not to have the extra height.

Ryan, you could cut those side plates down a little more and move them further underneath and have the boxes flush with the edge as shown in the pic below (pic from g503). Having in front of the passenger might be a mess once you add the highway cables, bailout cable and headset cable.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86875/IMG-20170326-191402-217861.JPG
Yeah, that's a definite possibility... I'll have to check that. The side plates do give the tray a cleaner look though, I think.

If I put it on the air box, I was thinking I might bundle up all of the cables and route them on top of the dash to the tray area with padded P-clamps.

Once I get the cables I'll see what might work best.

By the way, thought I'd pass it along, a friend of mine just installed this dashcam/backup cam system in his work van. He's pretty impressed with it. It's 1080p front, 480p rear. Not only gives you backup cam but it also records both front and rear. Can do PiP so you can watch both at once. He told me it has a feature so that if the vehicle is turned off and it detects a shock to the vehicle (like bumped when parked) it will record 30 seconds and shut back off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Ryan, have you wired up your vanner battery equalizers? Just wanting to see how you are going to do it and what extra parts are required.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Ryan, have you wired up your vanner battery equalizers? Just wanting to see how you are going to do it and what extra parts are required.
View Quote
Nope, haven't touched them yet.

I think the only thing you should need for basic operation is some 0 or 1 AWG wire, ring terminals, a 125A fuse, an 80A fuse, and mounting hardware.

I still need to check everything for fit but I'm going to try and fit them in the compartment next to the battery box and just wire both in parallel for basic operation for now. Once I start getting more of the interior built out, I'll see about building a warning panel or maybe just take advantage of some of that empty real estate on that driver's side plate I put on the radio tray.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Just a heads up. Do not buy a CF20 tough book. Its the new tablet type that seperates from the base. They took our tank of a CF19 and gave us the 20.  It lasted 3 months. The vibration from the pedestal mount caused bad terminal connections between the base and tablet. We got a brand new CF 19 again. If anyone needs pics of the modem and router set up we have in the ambulance let me know 
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Just a heads up. Do not buy a CF20 tough book. Its the new tablet type that seperates from the base. They took our tank of a CF19 and gave us the 20.  It lasted 3 months. The vibration from the pedestal mount caused bad terminal connections between the base and tablet. We got a brand new CF 19 again. If anyone needs pics of the modem and router set up we have in the ambulance let me know 
View Quote
I had similar experience with the Toughpads and the keyboard docking stations. Now we have battery issues and Panasonic is recalling them. But please post up pics, its always nice to get install ideas.
Page / 101
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top