Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/16/2016 10:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker]
I really thought I posted here about this car project. If I did it must have been archived. I purchased a 69 AMX 4 years ago for my wife's birthday. It was in body shop hell up until Aug of this year. The first shop stripped the car and then left it out and it got rained on and rusted. Then they started to fit a new panel and were doing a poor job of it. I finally got fed up with them dragging their feet and fired them. I got it to a new shop in Aug and they got the body straightened and painted. The first pic is the damage the first shop was inflicting. The rest of the pics are the the great work the new shop did.

This is what it looked like when I picked in up the first week of Dec.

Here I've removed the fenders and I'm installing the trough seals and respraying some undercoating.

I've been working on the car slowly as it's been cold, cold, clod in the garage even with a heater going. I got the front and rear windows installed, polished and installed the stainless, some of the weather stripping, bead blasting and painting brackets and fasteners. I also got the front and rear fender extensions installed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Love that color.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  I had a buddy that had an AMX years ago and haven't seen one since.  One of the few AMC's I would drive during the day!  

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:33:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Love that color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Love that color.

The color is Alamosa Aqua and original to the car.

Originally Posted By CroatianKnight:
Nice!  I had a buddy that had an AMX years ago and haven't seen one since.  One of the few AMC's I would drive during the day!  

The only one I wouldn't drive is a Pacer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice ride dude!!

Here's my original paint and interior lemans blue 1969 350 horse 396 big block Camaro..

" />
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#5]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
Nice ride dude!!

Here's my original paint and interior lemans blue 1969 350 horse 396 big block Camaro..

http://<a href=http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd429/Thinkin456/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/4A269AB3-0142-472C-A173-BFC025101029_zpsk52a797w.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
Nice!

This is the 74 Javelin I restored about 10 years ago.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice OP.  I've had a few of them over the years.  Great cars.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Such a cool car!
I'm glad you showed us the update.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Sooooo awesome. Love it.

Reminds me of my high school days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've always liked the Donhue Javelin SST in red, white and blue:
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#11]
I'll see your Donahue and raise you an SS AMX.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
That's awesome! The AMX is one of the most perfect designs out there.  Way too few sold.

Good on you for the restore, OP!

TC
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice OP. Can you share what the body and paint work cost you. I've got a 1968 Camaro that I need to get painted.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dana1972:
Nice OP. Can you share what the body and paint work cost you. I've got a 1968 Camaro that I need to get painted.
View Quote

paint and body was 19K
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice.  I had a 1972 Javelin AMX back in the late 70's.  I always wanted to try to get a 69 or 70.  Someday if I win the lottery I will get another one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#17]
Spent a good part of the day working on the car. Got all of the side windows installed and adjusted to seal with the window seals. I also got the exterior door pulls installed.

Then I moved onto the right and left door weather stripping.

I spent most of my time prepping the trunk for paint. I had to scrape out all of the loose dried seam seal putty and apply new seam sealer. Once the seam seal set up I masked and painted the trunk interior.

While I was waiting on the seam sealer in the trunk to set up I moved to the passenger compartment and did the same routine with the seams.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#18]
I had to roll the AMX out of the garage today so I shot some pictures. I also got the rear bumper installed.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice ! Now is the time to put in sound dampening, barriers, etc., if you're so inclined...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#20]
I've been installing the front suspension components. Trunnions are not my favorite suspension setup. I'm going to use it for now to get it up and running but a Control Freaks coil over set up with rack and pinion steering is in the future.

I also found that the stud for the hood hinge in this picture is stripped. Now I have to remove the hood and effect repairs. The stud plate is spot welded onto the inner fender well. I am going to have to remove it to fabricate a new stud. It's going to be a PITA since the car is freshly painted. Any damage should be covered by the hinge though if I'm careful.

This is the stud plate viewed inside the fender well.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#21]
I've got the stud it out. It was spot welded to the plate in three spots. It didn't take much effort to break the welds with a cold chisel once I had drilled it out from the engine bay side. I will machine a replacement stud on Tuesday.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Can a Javelin front end with ball joints be retrofitted? I was amazed to hear AMC stuck with trunions as long as they did.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Love the updates, seems to be coming along great. Something always comes up after paint. I had one of those moments when I went to install a trans cooler. Two threaded studs welded to the support would have been perfect except for the fresh paint. Had to do two thin headed bolts instead.

If it hasn't been said enough, that color is awesome!
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By slows2k:
Can a Javelin front end with ball joints be retrofitted? I was amazed to hear AMC stuck with trunions as long as they did.
View Quote

The whole front subframe, inner fender aprons and cross member would have to be swapped along with all the suspension. Way to much work, room for error and would require a donor car. The Control Freak unit bolts right in and runs a tad under 4k. It is a modern coil over set up that allows for better handling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

The whole front subframe, inner fender aprons and cross member would have to be swapped along with all the suspension. Way to much work, room for error and would require a donor car. The Control Freak unit bolts right in and runs a tad under 4k. It is a modern coil over set up that allows for better handling.
View All Quotes

^  This.  The 68-69 AMX and Javelin used a trunnion style front end.  They handled OK and had a beefy sway bar but had issues over time with the trunnions.  Starting in 1970 they went to a much better and more durable ball joint set up.  That later version was probably the best front end for a contemporary muscle car that Detroit ever put out in a regular production vehicle. (I say that in reference to the production car's ability to actually handle well when compared to it's pears.)   You would be better off using a 1970 AMX with the already manufactured shock towers and subframe if you wanted to make this modification.  
The Trans Am racing series was a great tested for all around performance back in those days.  The AMC teams were underfunded in respect to their competitors in 1968 and 1969 but they handled better than the Fords and GM counterparts.  They just suffered from being a slight step behind in the power department as they had to use the standard 290 engine block when everyone else was using a special 302 race block.  They got much better with the 1970 year and even better with the later 1971-1974 years with the more modern front end and much improved engines/ cylinder heads.  There was also a rules change that allowed for destroking a larger production engine (360 CID) block to the race's 302 CID limit, which also helped them out.  It is what allowed the Mopars to compete in the racing series with their 340 blocks.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#26]
Originally Posted By BM1455:

^  This.  The 68-69 AMX and Javelin used a trunnion style front end.  They handled OK and had a beefy sway bar but had issues over time with the trunnions.  Starting in 1970 they went to a much better and more durable ball joint set up.  That later version was probably the best front end for a contemporary muscle car that Detroit ever put out in a regular production vehicle. (I say that in reference to the production car's ability to actually handle well when compared to it's pears.)   You would be better off using a 1970 AMX with the already manufactured shock towers and subframe if you wanted to make this modification.  
The Trans Am racing series was a great tested for all around performance back in those days.  The AMC teams were underfunded in respect to their competitors in 1968 and 1969 but they handled better than the Fords and GM counterparts.  They just suffered from being a slight step behind in the power department as they had to use the standard 290 engine block when everyone else was using a special 302 race block.  They got much better with the 1970 year and even better with the later 1971-1974 years with the more modern front end and much improved engines/ cylinder heads.  There was also a rules change that allowed for destroking a larger production engine (360 CID) block to the race's 302 CID limit, which also helped them out.  It is what allowed the Mopars to compete in the racing series with their 340 blocks.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BM1455:

I would have preferred a 70 AMX not only for the suspension changes but I also liked the restyled hood and grill on the 70 AMX. I didn't care for the restyled dash much though. Alas the 70s are the rarest of the first gen AMXs. The price was right when the 69 popped up. It had spent it's entire life in Las Vegas and rust was not an issue. It was also really complete, the only thing it was missing were the original leather seats.

Production #s were as follows:

1968 - 6725 units
1969 - 8293 units
1970 - 4116 units

For all three years there were a total of 19134 cars made. The low production #s make all of these cars rare compared to the huge production #s of pony and muscle cars that the Big Three produced.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I helped a friend restore a 72 SST Javelin, and parted out a very rusty Pierre Cardin Javelin in the process.  The car drove very well with a new AGR steering box and big sway bars at both ends.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I helped a friend restore a 72 SST Javelin, and parted out a very rusty Pierre Cardin Javelin in the process.  The car drove very well with a new AGR steering box and big sway bars at both ends.
View Quote

My first car was a 1972 Javelin SST in Canary Yellow with a 304 and 727 transmission. I paid 200 dollars for it in 1979. I drove that car into the ground and blew the engine. The things you do when your are young and dumb.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Still working on the suspension. AMC had a special tool set to compress the trunnion springs. They are no longer made and it is near impossible to find a set. I had to make a set. I needed the springs compressed to a height of 13.5 inches. I made a set of turn buckles that would hold the springs at the proper height. The problem was the springs were too tall to use the turn buckles when they were extended all the way. The solution was to use a spring compressor and compress the springs part way and then install the turn buckles.  I could then compress the springs to 13.5 inches and get them into the proper position. Before I release the turn buckles I will touch the paint up.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember having to make similar tools for the Javelin, very narrow shock/spring towers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome job!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I think I saw your Javelin last year at the Santa Clara, Utah(Swedish Days) car show I do believe. You live in Pioche don't you? I drive through there often. I have a 72 Ambassador I want to make into a Rebel NASCAR clone some day. I need to find some front disc brakes for it though. Been trying to find a donor car and haven't had much luck. It just hasn't been a priority, I have to many other sticks in the fire. I really want to do most of the work when I get around to it.
It is nice to see your AMX coming along. I like to see something besides Camaros and Mustangs or Mopars at the car shows.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn.  I have to get back to work on my wife's 4 year old, old car project.  (88 Wagoneer)

Nice looking project!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#34]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
I think I saw your Javelin last year at the Santa Clara, Utah(Swedish Days) car show I do believe. You live in Pioche don't you? I drive through there often. I have a 72 Ambassador I want to make into a Rebel NASCAR clone some day. I need to find some front disc brakes for it though. Been trying to find a donor car and haven't had much luck. It just hasn't been a priority, I have to many other sticks in the fire. I really want to do most of the work when I get around to it.
It is nice to see your AMX coming along. I like to see something besides Camaros and Mustangs or Mopars at the car shows.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
I was at the Red Rock car show last Sept. I'm often the only AMC (not counting Jeeps) at many of the small local shows in the area. I've got several small Bolt Face logos on the Javelin if you look closely.

Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Damn.  I have to get back to work on my wife's 4 year old, old car project.  (88 Wagoneer)

Nice looking project!
I sold this 74 Cherokee Chief several years ago. Love the old Wagoneers.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#35]
Been a while since I updated this thread. I've been searching for parts and rebuild kits for some of the front end stuff. The wheel hub and brake disc on the early AMC/Ramblers is a two piece unit that is pressed together using the lug studs. The brake disc is available but the hub is not. One of my original hubs was trashed with some moron having tried to weld the steel studs to the cast iron hub.

A standard mod is to swap the spindles and brake stuff from a 72-83 AMC car. The spindle pattern is the same from 65 up through 83 with 72 and later parts being available new. As long as you swap everything including the spindles you are good to go. I have a buddy that is parting out a 77 Gremlin so I had him pull the stuff and send it to me for the paltry sum of $250.00. I bead blasted and painted the parts and ordered new seals and bearings. Here I have installed the spindles and hubs on the car. I also got the brake caliper on the drivers side. I'm waiting on a new caliper piston for the passenger side. I damaged the original during disassemble. New tie rod ends, drag link, sway bar and idler arm are also installed. Next install will be the steering box. I'm waiting on the rebuild kit to freshen it up.

As a final install for the day I put the wiper motor onto the fire wall. I sent it out for rebuild and plating bringing it back to it's original form. Another $250.00 well spent.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#37]
For the first time in over 4 years the AMX is sitting on her own front suspension. I've got the steering box in, torqued the wheel bearings and also got both headlight buckets installed yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Updates?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:
Updates?
View Quote

The last month has been hell dealing with my dog having cancer. Things haven't gone well and her leg had to be amputated. I have had no time to do much to the AMX. Her medical bills have put a 7K dent in my car budget. Hopefully we are done spending on medical bills but she needs close supervision for until the amputation site has healed. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before I can accomplish anything further on the project.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Progress on car looks great OP.  I love checking in on this thread when I see it.  Wish I had kept my 68 AMX which was in the same color as yours.  They called it Tahitian Turquoise in '68.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#43]

The last month has been hell dealing with my dog having cancer. Things haven't gone well and her leg had to be amputated. I have had no time to do much to the AMX. Her medical bills have put a 7K dent in my car budget. Hopefully we are done spending on medical bills but she needs close supervision for until the amputation site has healed. It's probably going to be a few more weeks before I can accomplish anything further on the project.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:
Updates?

Sorry about your dog. Hope she pulls through.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#44]
Been a while since I have had anything to update. I've had some home projects that had to be done and the dog is finally healed from the cancer and amputation surgery with the final tally for medical expenses coming in at 11k. This put a large dent in the car budget so I've been doing things that don't cost much but time.

I was surfing an AMC site and found some OEM AMC Rosetta Rivets for 20 bucks a set so I snapped a set of four up. These rivets have a flower shaped head rather than a round head. The repop sites want 80 bucks a set so these OEM rivets were a real bargain. I removed the aluminium rivets that I had put the tag on with and replaced them with the OEM rivets.

I've also been working on the dashboard. The one original to the car was broken in half and at one point it looked as if someone had broke out the ignition switch trying to hot wire the car. I opted to look for another dash that would need less repair. I found one in a 69 Javelin and traded an AMC 4 speed bellhousing for it. It had some minor cracks visible but nothing that would not be repairable. I used some Fiberglass cloth and gel coat to reinforce the damaged areas on the backside.

On the visible section I filled the cracks with a hard plastic repair compound and once cured it will be sanded and blended to the original.I will have to build some of the areas up several times. I will then dye the plastic to a nice light grey.

I also bead blasted and primed the dash supports that are not riveted to the dash. The ones that are riveted to the dash will get wire brushed and primed in place.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice work OP. Never been a fan of these cars until I clicked on this thread and saw yours. That color sure made me a believer, it is truly a gorgeous color !
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#46]
Worked a bit on the car today and last weekend. Got the dash shell repaired and dyed. I have to send the passenger crash pad and speaker grill insert to Just Dashes for restoration.

I also got some of the sound deadner installed.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#47]
Spent the morning repairing interior trim and dyeing it to the new color. Just waiting on the upholstery shop to finish the head liner so I can install all the freshly dyed parts. I'm also waiting on Just Dashes to finish the repairs on the crash pad and speaker grill for the dash.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 1:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#48]
Decided it was time to refurb the AMX Heater box. 47 years of grime had to be removed. All of the foam had deteriorated and needed to be replaced. Fortunately the AMC suppliers repop all of the foam and seam seals. The blower motor is toast but they are still available. I'll order one and install it at a later date. I also got the steering column and brake supports cleaned up and installed.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#49]
First time seeing this thread! Love me some old AMX. I have had a few customers over the years who have had a couple, one was an original owner car that I tried to buy but he wasn't selling. Few years later he died and it got sold off through his estate. Still keep my eyes peeled for a nice one.

Looking at how far you had it disassembled, was there a reason you didn't just have it media blasted inside and out, over and under?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread until you get it done. Thanks for saving it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Elsinore13:

Looking at how far you had it disassembled, was there a reason you didn't just have it media blasted inside and out, over and under?

View Quote

Car has been in Nevada it's whole life and had no rust. Since everything inside will be covered by trim or carpet I didn't see the need to have them blast the interior and they didn't have a rotisserie that would allow them to do the underside.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top