BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's just a machining artifact. I always look at threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those threads have a lot of chatter in them.

Poor machining? Or made that way because of the Plastic cap that screws in?

It's just a machining artifact. I always look at threads.
You machining nerd! Haha. I bet you can just hear those threads singing in the lathe can't ya? I can't imagine they thread milled that part but maybe..
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So at 173547 miles I'm calling it. I was able to change the fuel filters out just now and they didn't look dirtier than usual, but while looking into the fuel bowl if you really looked hard, I mean hard, you could see what appears to be some tiny silver specks in the fuel. So I am guessing the hpfp is dead Jim.

Interestingly enough I had the same code pop up when towing and when empty, what's weird is when it happens despite clearing the code with the scan tool I can only make like 15psi of boost and my cruise control is out until I turn off the engine and turn it back on.

What do you gurus think?

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg
View Quote
Where is the fuel bowl in relation to the pump and filter? If the pump makes metal does it get filtered before the bowl?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So at 173547 miles I'm calling it. I was able to change the fuel filters out just now and they didn't look dirtier than usual, but while looking into the fuel bowl if you really looked hard, I mean hard, you could see what appears to be some tiny silver specks in the fuel. So I am guessing the hpfp is dead Jim.

Interestingly enough I had the same code pop up when towing and when empty, what's weird is when it happens despite clearing the code with the scan tool I can only make like 15psi of boost and my cruise control is out until I turn off the engine and turn it back on.

What do you gurus think?

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/audiosolstice/media/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg</a>
View Quote

Low boost is usually a sign of worn turbos, it could be a lack of fuel pressure causing it but at 170xxx its time for turbos. You can get a kit with both of them for around $2k. As you see any metal pretty much means the pump is done too.

You're looking at close to $3k in parts, and those engines don't last like the rest of the oil burners.....I'd think long and hard about making the truck someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Low boost is usually a sign of worn turbos, it could be a lack of fuel pressure causing it but at 170xxx its time for turbos. You can get a kit with both of them for around $2k. As you see any metal pretty much means the pump is done too.

You're looking at close to $3k in parts, and those engines don't last like the rest of the oil burners.....I'd think long and hard about making the truck someone else's problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/audiosolstice/media/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg</a>

Yeah.

The turbos wear out? That's a thing?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where is the fuel bowl in relation to the pump and filter? If the pump makes metal does it get filtered before the bowl?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/08616CB2-E201-4EE0-B054-06761857F3D7_zpschfknbhk.jpg

The return from the hpfp goes right back into the bowl, it go through the filter again before going back to the engine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

Yeah.

I've got a stack of those in the shop floor too
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

The turbos should be good, when I don't build boost I don't get any fuel pressure. So like you said somthing isn't letting the pump build pressure.

Is there a special procedure in cleaning the lines to the tank and hfcm?

Also, do I need to send my injectors to get serviced?

You really think I should trade her in?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The turbos should be good, when I don't build boost I don't get any fuel pressure. So like you said somthing isn't letting the pump build pressure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

If you decide to keep it you'll be married to it soon, if you love the truck that might not be so bad but many many owners of them are buried by both payments and repairs.

All of the lines need flushed with break cleaner and compressed air....warranty pays 2 hours to do the job with the cab and pump off so it is lengthy procedure to do completely. Your filter looks better than ones that have terminal failure so there won't be near as much metal in the system to worry about.

6.4 injectors are the one good thing on them.....I'd bet they are fine with as little metal as your pump has made.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you decide to keep it you'll be married to it soon, if you love the truck that might not be so bad but many many owners of them are buried by both payments and repairs.

All of the lines need flushed with break cleaner and compressed air....warranty pays 2 hours to do the job with the cab and pump off so it is lengthy procedure to do completely. Your filter looks better than ones that have terminal failure so there won't be near as much metal in the system to worry about.

6.4 injectors are the one good thing on them.....I'd bet they are fine with as little metal as your pump has made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

yeah it's a long term commitment with her. I really don't want to drop 60k on a new one and I plan on getting a 3rd car to commute in because I put almost 20k miles a year on my vehicles for work. The truck is in really good shape, except for the steering wheel. that thing is ugly.

While I was at it, I was going to replace the HFCM with a FASS or an AirDog, what's your take on that?

Also, I have had the engine deleted from emission equipment since 134k miles. So, that should help prolong the blocks life i'd imagine.

When the turbos crap out, I want to go with a single kit. Should lower egt;s for towing.

i'll start saving some coin, for a new block. I'll know I will need one eventually.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yeah it's a long term commitment with her. I really don't want to drop 60k on a new one and I plan on getting a 3rd car to commute in because I put almost 20k miles a year on my vehicles for work. The truck is in really good shape, except for the steering wheel. that thing is ugly.

While I was at it, I was going to replace the HFCM with a FASS or an AirDog, what's your take on that?

Also, I have had the engine deleted from emission equipment since 134k miles. So, that should help prolong the blocks life i'd imagine.

When the turbos crap out, I want to go with a single kit. Should lower egt;s for towing.

i'll start saving some coin, for a new block. I'll know I will need one eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

Whoa...a new block? What happens to them?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess there's worse motors out there than LB7s.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[quoe]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you gurus think?

[/quoe]

a couple of different tings can happen.

the short list.

pre mature bearing wear, rocker arm wear and lifter wear from fuel dilution via the regen process.

some times the pistons crack because of the thin areas on the lips where the piston has a dish on the crown.

egr leaks and hydro locks the engine.

Most of those things I don't have to worry about since I removed all of the emissions crap.

More than likely in the future I am going to need new lifter regardless and rocker arms and push rods. I have 3.73 gears and that means I am turning about 2k rpm doing 65-70. Good thing for me I only do 55-60 on my commute, but still the lifters seem to be a wear item.

That's not that big of a deal though, because when that time comes I am going to put in some head studs and replace the body mounts.

I really need to get my garage built with a lift.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

werent those the engine that ate injectors like candy?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And required a rather comprehensive teardown of the motor to R&R the expensive little bastards.

There was the option of putting LLY heads on it, but that's expensive, too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And required a rather comprehensive teardown of the motor to R&R the expensive little bastards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that sucks, still not as bad as the 6.5 turbo diesel GM made.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Emission deletes go a long way on those trucks, especially if you get rid of the dpf and converter...it can add 5 it so MPGs. I won't have anything to do with them anymore after getting a phone call from an EPA agent

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket HFCMs....the stock ones seem to last pretty well though, at least for stock vehicles. When it comes to performance upgrades I shy away from them as they cost us man hours almost every time we've messed with them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Emission deletes go a long way on those trucks, especially if you get rid of the dpf and converter...it can add 5 it so MPGs. I won't have anything to do with them anymore after getting a phone call from an EPA agent

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket HFCMs....the stock ones seem to last pretty well though, at least for stock vehicles. When it comes to performance upgrades I shy away from them as they cost us man hours almost every time we've messed with them.
View Quote

Yeah the EPA has been hard on you guys lately.

I was looking into them for the better filtration and water seperation abilities.

I have a tune but it's an eco tune, I went from 12-13 mpg to 16-17. 85% hwy driving.

If I wasn't deleted, there's no way I'd dump money into the truck.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Ordered this rascal, hopefully it's not snake oil and does help

My topside creeper came in also, it looks like it will help reduce my swearing by  a little bit

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/audiosolstice/media/145D7034-AB2A-480E-BF27-AE3F859C4CDE_zps3sdympaa.png.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/145D7034-AB2A-480E-BF27-AE3F859C4CDE_zps3sdympaa.png</a>

My topside creeper came in also, it looks like it will help reduce my swearing by  a little bit

View Quote

I know you'll love the top side. Those things are the shizzle... I've not seen that socket before....let me know how it works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know you'll love the top side. Those things are the shizzle... I've not seen that socket before....let me know how it works out for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/audiosolstice/media/145D7034-AB2A-480E-BF27-AE3F859C4CDE_zps3sdympaa.png.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/audiosolstice/145D7034-AB2A-480E-BF27-AE3F859C4CDE_zps3sdympaa.png</a>

I am anxious to use it, I never used one before.

I'll let you know for sure. Hopefully it makes getting to those bolts easier. I have been spraying down the bolts and flange with penetrating oil. So, hopefully that will help the bolts come out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I was testing it out today by spraying the turbo flange bolts with penetrating oil. Whoa, this thing is freaking awesome. You can access everything.

Gun guy is 100% correct, it's a must have tool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I know you'll love the top side. Those things are the shizzle...
View Quote

I picked up one from a local pawn shop for $75, couldn't hardly get the money out fast enough to pay them...it is a handy SOB.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top