Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 5:35:42 AM EDT
I just bought a nice 2001 Park Avenue.  It runs really good except at idle, it doesn't idle smooth and runs at around 800-900 rpm.  I pull the codes and get p0171 - Bank 1 too lean.  The fuel trim is staying around 15-20% and doesn't fluctuate with higher RPMs.  The upstream o2 sensor is reading around .05 and not really fluctuating, so I immediately suspect a vacuum leak.  I check all around the known spots with propane.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Thinking it might be an internal leak, I shoot the propane into the oil filler neck, and sure enough, the fuel trim goes down to normal and the 02 sensor begins fluctuating normally.

Is this a bad LIM gasket for sure or could it be something else?  Maybe a bad PCV valve?

I've never heard of a 3800 LIM gasket leaking air.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
pcv  should be  easy to check and is likely oem ... replace it anyways ... I would pull the intake and change the lim gaskets anyways they do have issues at the same time I would go to the help section at the parts store and get the upgraded metal coolant elbows to replace the plastic ones that always fail and break Dorman 47065hp Heater Hose Connector
ETA: every 3800 I ever had to work on leaked coolant at the lim gasket most times on the driver side .. pull it replace them now before you end up doing a head gasket
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
any updates ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still leaning towards the lower intake gasket.  I already replaced the PCV and cleaned the MAF.  Fuel PSI seems to be in spec.  I'm going to try cleaning the throttle body before I replace the LIM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top