Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2015 3:44:08 PM EDT
I need new injectors for my LB7.  Going to order and hope to start next weekend.  Found a write up online.  It seems pretty straight forward, just time consuming.  I was going to replace the glow plugs while i was in there.  Anything else I should do?  Any tips?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some special tools for removing the injectors and cups if they come out with the injector. I always replaced the fuel filter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Soak all the high-pressure injector lines in CLR for a few days, then blow them out real good with an air compressor.

You will curse the rearmost bolts on the driver's side lower valve cover.

Make sure the return lines are TIGHT before you put everything back together, otherwise you'll dump fuel into the oil.

Get the tool to pull injectors, it makes things much easier. http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6778-Injector-Puller-Duramax/dp/B00JRV1V2E

I was told to expect a 12-hour job. It took me and my buddy most of 4 days to do it.

It's been a year since the job and my truck frame is still coughing up tools we had dropped and lost.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My son is pretty good on the LB7 stuff............his dailydriver does about 650 hp (DE-tuned)......I'll send his contact info via IM.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I always pull the cups and reseal them. Get the kit from merchant automotive. They have all the tools, chemicals, sealants and parts you could need.

Get the high pressure lines clean before you disconnect them and clean the tapers before you reconnect. That's the Achilles heal of the LB7, if the hp lines leak or an injector body cracks you can't tell until the crank case is full if fuel.

Go slow, be type A about cleanliness and Double check your work, it's a PITA but it's doable for an experienced shade tree
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I starting working on it this weekend.  This job is a pain in the butt.  It is time consuming just to get to the engine.  One of the cups came out pouring antifreeze into the cylinder.  I turned the engine to get it out.  then poured 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and turned it over again.  it shoots out everywhere.  I should have a few cups delivered today.  I am going to finish the passenger side tomorrow and then work on the drivers side this weekend.  Going to replace a few things while it is apart.  rubber fuel line etc.  

Nothing is hard just a lot of little things to do.  Plus you are hanging over the truck.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I starting working on it this weekend.  This job is a pain in the butt.  It is time consuming just to get to the engine.  One of the cups came out pouring antifreeze into the cylinder.  I turned the engine to get it out.  then poured 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and turned it over again.  it shoots out everywhere.  I should have a few cups delivered today.  I am going to finish the passenger side tomorrow and then work on the drivers side this weekend.  Going to replace a few things while it is apart.  rubber fuel line etc.  

Nothing is hard just a lot of little things to do.  Plus you are hanging over the truck.
View Quote
The duramax is buried in stuff.  It's amazing when you take one all the way to the block, the block is big but holy shit is there a lot of crap bolted to it.  

The newer ones are even worse.

It's a great engine. I am a huge fan of the dmax and I've built a few.   The only thing better than the Dmax engine is the trans its bolted to.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I need new injectors for my LB7.  Going to order and hope to start next weekend.  Found a write up online.  It seems pretty straight forward, just time consuming.  I was going to replace the glow plugs while i was in there.  Anything else I should do?  Any tips?
View Quote

Sell it and get a gas truck as soon as it's buttoned up.

That's my advice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's my advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my advice.
Stop putting out the negative waves man.....

He's doing the toughest (well touchiest) job on the truck.  it's all wheel bearings and brakes lines from here, those are easy.

I'm gonna keep reminding you of the turbo whistle and gobs of torque.....you know you want one again....c'mon, torque is like heroin, once you get a taste...

Honestly if mine wasn't tuned and built I'd probably be driving gasser too...a turbo'd gasser but a gasser....I have a horsepower problem.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What injectors did you go with? Please dont say Pensacola. Only use OEM Bosch injectors.

The cups can be a PITA. The LB7 is the worst of the duramaxes to work on. With each generation they kept improving the head design and making them easier to work on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What injectors did you go with? Please dont say Pensacola. Only use OEM Bosch injectors.

The cups can be a PITA. The LB7 is the worst of the duramaxes to work on. With each generation they kept improving the head design and making them easier to work on.

Not Pensacola but not OEM.  I enjoy torture I guess.  I just replaced my furnace and AC.  I am gambling but hoping to save a couple dollars.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my advice.

He's doing the toughest (well touchiest) job on the truck.  it's all wheel bearings and brakes lines from here, those are easy.

I'm gonna keep reminding you of the turbo whistle and gobs of torque.....you know you want one again....c'mon, torque is like heroin, once you get a taste...

Honestly if mine wasn't tuned and built I'd probably be driving gasser too...a turbo'd gasser but a gasser....I have a horsepower problem.

I bought the truck with a bad water pump.  Anything gas was a few grand more and in worse shape.  I figured on injector replacement soon when I bought it a couple years ago.  The originals lasted 165k miles.  I knew i was on borrowed time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my advice.

I just rode in a buddies 6.7. It's fast. Lots of torque, intake sounds brutal.

But what really made it, was the way the transmission was stuttering every time he rolled into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top