Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 12:43:46 PM EDT
So I'm pretty close to the point of having to get a 4x4 truck.
Bottom line you don't get much for less than 8K these days.

I've been looking at a 2003 F150 FX4 with 239K miles asking price of $6900...pretty sure I can get that down to 6 or less.
Condition is excellent for the age.
The only concern at first look was when I turned the AC to max pieces of foam shot out of the vents.
My plan is to run it down the interstate for 10 miles and have a mechanic co-worker give it the once over.

Anything I should key in on during inspection or should I just avoid it all together?
Thanks for any advice
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I've been looking at a 2003 F150 FX4 with 239K miles asking price of $6900...pretty sure I can get that down to 6 or less.
The only concern at first look was when I turned the AC to max pieces of foam shot out of the vents.
My plan is to run it down the interstate for 10 miles and have a mechanic co-worker give it the once over.

Anything I should key in on during inspection or should I just avoid it all together?
Thanks for any advice
View Quote

How old are the sparkplugs?

ETA:  The old Triton motors have a track record of sparkplugs breaking when trying to swap them.  To have them removed professionally can cost hundreds of dollars per plug.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a $2500 truck TOPS at that mileage and age
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It is 3 body styles old, but if all 4 wheels are turning, still has good compression, no transmission issues, and the plugs are still good, it's worth more than $2,500 around these parts.  I would say in the $5k neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA:  The old Triton motors have a track record of sparkplugs breaking when trying to swap them.  To have them removed professionally can cost hundreds of dollars per plug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice

"Can" but should not cost hundreds of dollars.  I had had mine done (2004 Crew 4x4 with 150k miles) and paid no where near amount.  It is not a big deal as there is a cheap tool to help with the process.

I am with the poster above though, that seems steep for a 12yr old truck with over 200K on the clock.  What does KBB and others say on price?  You are in the area where expensive things may start to need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice

The plug issue is with 04 an up models.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice

Apologies.  I thought it was on some of the later Triton's too from the 1997-2003 series.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is 3 body styles old, but if all 4 wheels are turning, still has good compression, no transmission issues, and the plugs are still good, it's worth more than $2,500 around these parts.  I would say in the $5k neighborhood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it would be to your advantage to take a road trip to Dixie the next time you need a truck
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot, I read it wrong.

How 'bout an F350 with a 240 (and a Ma Deuce)?

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah price is a little high.  I just sold my 01' 4x4 with 90K less miles for $5,000.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't buy that pricey thing. That price for one with 150k, yes. With 240k, no.

The problem wasn't with the Triton, but the 5.4 in general (the early 5.4's weren't Tritons) and covers 1997-2008.The primary problem is the plugs would either break or someone would strip the threads out of the block (aluminum blocks). That's why you pay to have plugs done on 5.4's...if your mechanic strips the threads out it's his problem.

Now for the price, you can find 3/4 ton diesels for that. Granted slightly older. I've seen a lot of first generation Duramaxes (LB7) going for around $8000 with 250k miles on them. We use to run about 23 MPG in them (but there was the injector issue...). Another option is the 6BT (12-valve 5.9 Cummins). One of the work trucks I used to drive was a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500...it was purchased with 850k and it wasn't retired until the odometer read (1,)345k. It ran about 19 MPG. The first gen ISB (24 valve 5.9) ran about 21...

If you are looking at higher mileage trucks...look at the diesel market on late 90's and early to mid oughies trucks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shoot, I read it wrong.

How 'bout an F350 with a 240 (and a Ma Deuce)?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/26/4e/40/264e40a1a471dd08ff4acef75631c4f8.jpg
View Quote

All those upgrades and they couldn't replace the rinky-dink little stock tires?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Not even close to a good price. My 06 Ram 4x4 with 104k on the clock only books for $8-$9k.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't buy that, and I like those trucks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the good advice fellers.
I'll point out that 4x4 truck deals don't seem to be as plentiful as some of you guys make them out to be.
Here are a few in my area for comparison.

4.6L with 204K for $5000

GMC 2500 with 260K

Dodge 2500 diesel

That's kind of the ball park for the Tri-State area.

I'm thinking at the sub $6500 stage they're all pretty much a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the good advice fellers.
I'll point out that 4x4 truck deals don't seem to be as plentiful as some of you guys make them out to be.
Here are a few in my area for comparison.

4.6L with 204K for $5000

GMC 2500 with 260K

Dodge 2500 diesel

That's kind of the ball park for the Tri-State area.

I'm thinking at the sub $6500 stage they're all pretty much a crap shoot.
View Quote

Yeah, same ballpark in my area.  That diesel might have potential.  Good price on it considering mileage, at least around here.  Of course, 240k miles around here probably consists of 90% highway driving.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You could travel and save money.
View Quote

Definitely. Check Craigslist in Houston or Dallas, there are plenty of trucks in ghat price range. I was just looking at 4x4 4Runners and Tacos on there today.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for any advice
View Quote

Anything with that many miles is a crap-shoot.  If it hasn't yet been replaced it could go at any time.  My '02 ran great to 180K.  Then the replacements started hitting and it sucked for a while.   Fuel pump, plugs, coil packs, transmission, wheel bearings.   Now it's settled down again but I know it can and likely will break down more in the future.  Next thing is going to the exhaust manifold and that may be the straw that breaks the camel's back because of the potential for broken studs in the process.  If they break then the cost skyrockets.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

How much would you pay for a truck with a quarter million miles?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where?

Depends on the truck in all honesty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't touch anything 90's + with that kind of mileage but that's me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Figure out the best engine and trans combination and travel and buy it. I have done this before with good success
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I love Fords, but I wouldn't touch one with over 200k miles unless they were nearly all hwy miles and I personally knew the seller.

For anything super high mileage, get a GM or Chrysler Diesel or a GM LS gas motor truck.   For the later, junkyard engines will be plentiful and although everything else may fall off a GM truck, the drivetrain usually keeps plugging along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top