Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2015 10:30:36 AM EDT
My daughter bought a '98 Golf. 4 door, 223000 miles. I havent seen it yet.

What is she in for?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of pain and repairs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy bought a 97' jetta (2.0) with 190k on it when he was 17, sold it with 240k on it a few years ago and it was still plugging along. He had to replace the water pump at 225k and that was it. VW's are hit or miss, you either get one that constantly needs repairs or one that needs almost nothing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My gut would say that if it had already made it that far, it could be a good one.

I still wouldn't have bought it, personally.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Back story:
Three months ago she rear ended someone in her 2000 Dodge minivan with 225k. It was given to her by a great aunt. It was easily totalled. Sold it for scrap. My wife was heading out of town 3 days later, and she reluctantly let the kid borrow her Durango. Thursday wife got back, she and i left for a 5 days on the bikes. While we were gone, kid rear ended someone in mom's car (see a pattern here?)  She could have saved at least 3500 the last three months, but partied and wasted it, saving only 900. I told her she wont be driving anything i own, wont be on my insurance, and will be paying to fix moms car. Mom took her down to all the used car lots. I think this Golf was the only thing she could afford the down and monthly on. She'll end up paying twice the blue book. I told her its the stupid tax.

Short version, she had almost no choice.   Oh yeah, turned 19 (nineteen) 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back story:
Three months ago she rear ended someone in her 2000 Dodge minivan with 225k. It was given to her by a great aunt. It was easily totalled. Sold it for scrap. My wife was heading out of town 3 days later, and she reluctantly let the kid borrow her Durango. Thursday wife got back, she and i left for a 5 days on the bikes. While we were gone, kid rear ended someone in mom's car (see a pattern here?)  She could have saved at least 3500 the last three months, but partied and wasted it, saving only 900. I told her she wont be driving anything i own, wont be on my insurance, and will be paying to fix moms car. Mom took her down to all the used car lots. I think this Golf was the only thing she could afford the down and monthly on. She'll end up paying twice the blue book. I told her its the stupid tax.

Short version, she had almost no choice.   Oh yeah, turned 2 weeks ago.
View Quote

well...I think I have found your problem, she just turned 2 a few weeks ago and apparently isn't ready to be driving

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

She's gonna put some VAG mechanics kids through college.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Back story:

View Quote

Damn.  No way I could partied that hard when I was 2.  Daughters' a pro.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Back story:

View Quote

I'm going to guess "texting and driving."
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back story:

View Quote

Wow. With her track record I shudder to think about how much she's going to pay for insurance.

When I was that age I had one accident and one speeding ticket and I was paying 2300 a year

I agree with other posters. Sounds like texting and driving
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Error fixed. She is 19. My phone hates me.
She says she wasnt texting first time, just didnt look in cront of her before going at a right turn, assumed car in front had gone. This time she was looking at her phone for directions. I asked why she didnt do that before she left. She said running late. She always is....

After first one i told her if she has an at fault accident, she is off my insurance.

She found insurance for 185 a month. Liability and collision. Just wait until the accident hits her record....
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So far the car has had the check engine light come on for O2 sensors OR catalytic converter (same code i guess), temp running hot (her fix was turn on heater and open windows, not figure out why it's too hot..)

and now my wife calls saying she broke down and wife is going to tow her back to the dealer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The water pump probably fragged.

And the O2 sensors/cat thing is the ghost in the machine on those cars.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Prediction: cats are clogged and the water pump has thrown its plastic blades. BTDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell it.  You can buy a new Jetta with the SLOW but reliable 2.0 engine for under $11,000.  My wife had a 93 Jetta with that motor.  It's bulletproof. We sold the car with 205k miles on it with nothing more than oil changes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sell it.  You can buy a new Jetta with the SLOW but reliable 2.0 engine for under $11,000.  My wife had a 93 Jetta with that motor.  It's bulletproof. We sold the car with 205k miles on it with nothing more than oil changes.
View Quote

you willing to give or loan the kid $10k?

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Where are you in Texas?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Arlington.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]
93-97 Corolla or Geo Prizm (same car).

Most reliable/slow car ever built.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#20]
It was taken back to the car lot, beyond that i dont know whats up with it.  Im not paying, so its really not my business.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It was taken back to the car lot, beyond that i dont know whats up with it.  Im not paying, so its really not my business.
View Quote

XJ Cherokee.  4.0 never dies.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#22]
ONe for sale 3 doors down. $1800. She didnt want it because it has a couple small dents. moron.

I wish I still had my '95 XJ.  no 4wd though
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy her a bicycle for Christmas!

or

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My daughter bought a '98 Golf. 4 door, 223000 miles. I havent seen it yet.

What is she in for?
View Quote

My wife has an 04' Golf, 2.0 gas motor, 160,000 miles on it. Overall it's been a good car, but go through all of the suspension on it. With that many miles, I'm guessing all of the shocks, bushings, ball joints, and rod ends are shot and loose as hell.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

or

http://www.insideedition.com/images/stories/1509/11849.jpg

View Quote

Dat Wheel Camber.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm impressed your 19yo daughter knew to turn the heater on to cool it down.  Well done, Dad.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy something like a corrola or a civic . They are cheap and common parts are everywhere and there is all sorts of info on the net to fix them
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

or

http://www.insideedition.com/images/stories/1509/11849.jpg

View Quote

There are two of them now?  Hot damn, I'm headed down to San Marcos ASAP.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
She found insurance for 185 a month. Liability and collision. Just wait until the accident hits her record....
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#30]
She'll be fine.  By then, that gen was tried and true.  Avoid those mid-year '99 "new" models though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top