Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 5:34:32 PM EDT
Hopefully this will save someone some agony.....

You have to have the trailer hooked up to the ball BEFORE trying to diagnose trailer light issues. (before deciding your lights aren't working)

Besides whatever grounds you have happening on the truck and trailer, the ball/coupler is ANOTHER ground, and your lights MAY act fucky without the two being connected.

I know this is basic.

If you can explain this better please do, I'm retarded.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Flat 4 connector, white= ground.  If your truck and trailer are wired correctly, being hitched or not hitched makes no difference. Never ever ever count on the ball hitch to be your ground.........  Ever.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Although the ball connection to the trailer IS indeed another ground, it is not necessary to have the trailer on the ball for your lights to work properly. If your lights work, or work better/brighter, with the trailer on the ball then you have a bad  ground. The problem could be a trailer ground or a vehicle ground. I've seen the connectors themselves cause the problem on my own truck.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your lights work, or work better/brighter, with the trailer on the ball then you have a bad  ground.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a separate ground from the trailer harness to the trailer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Flat 4 connector, white= ground.  If your truck and trailer are wired correctly, being hitched or not hitched makes no difference. Never ever ever count on the ball hitch to be your ground.........  Ever.
View Quote

Listen to this guy!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Listen to this guy!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen to this guy!!!

Listen to these guys . use a star washer and bare metal to get a good connection .
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
OP has a bad ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top