Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 3:07:22 PM EDT
They look like they are a good deal if you are handy and have a lift at your house. It seems like the only issues around with them now are the intermediate shaft bearings, which have an aftermarket fix. The only thing that bugs me about them is the carerra models don't have a spoiler on the rear deck. IMO, it makes the car look weird.

I was looking at performance specs and it appears depending on the year the 0-60 is anywhere from 5 seconds to 4.5 seconds. That's pretty impressive. How do the 3.4 and 3.6 handle forced induction?

They have a 99 with a turbo front bumper and splitter that has 85k on the clock and asking 15, 500 obo. clean for it's age, and seems like a good deal.

any of you 911 guys have any complaints?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I like them, I work on them often.  If you get one let me know, I can probably round you up a couple turbos for free.  You will just need to get them plumbed and tuned..

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like them, I work on them often.  If you get one let me know, I can probably round you up a couple turbos for free.  You will just need to get them plumbed and tuned..

View Quote

Wow, that's awesome. I have a welder now, so the sky's the limit. What's somthing to watch out for on those cars?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow, that's awesome. I have a welder now, so the sky's the limit. What's somthing to watch out for on those cars?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trailing throttle snap over steer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, I heard they are interesting to drive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go into a corner hot, do NOT lift or you'll do a 180 so fast you won't know what hit you. Far better to just stay on the gas and ride the slide.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMS is the main thing.  Rear main seal leaks are somewhat common.  Other than those just the normal used car things to look for.

Try to find a car that has a good maintenance history.  I would get a PPI if you can, it is worth the money in what it can save you.  If you aren't too far from Houston I can do one for you for free, plus you can check out some cool cars inlcuding a gt2, gt3, gt3 rs, and a gt3 cup car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you go into a corner hot, do NOT lift or you'll do a 180 so fast you won't know what hit you. Far better to just stay on the gas and ride the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense, just by looking at where the engine sits it's amazing how the car handle so well
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IMS is the main thing.  Rear main seal leaks are somewhat common.  Other than those just the normal used car things to look for.

Try to find a car that has a good maintenance history.  I would get a PPI if you can, it is worth the money in what it can save you.  If you aren't too far from Houston I can do one for you for free, plus you can check out some cool cars inlcuding a gt2, gt3, gt3 rs, and a gt3 cup car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer, i really appreciate it, I'm probably about 4-5 hours away. Not too bad of a drive.

Is it a faux pas to out a turbo front and rear bumper cover and wing on a carerra?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it a faux pas to out a turbo front and rear bumper cover and wing on a carerra?
View Quote

The factory 996 aero kit looks pretty good if you can find the parts. A GT2 wing is a bit much on a narrow-body 996, but a GT3 wing looks good, of course.

I wouldn't add FI to an M96 engine. It wasn't designed for it and if it goes bang that's a very expensive day. The factory turbos have a different engine block. IMO if you get a 996 just enjoy it as it was made. If you've got to have boost, get a factory turbo. 996 turbos are a performance bargain on the market right now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The factory 996 aero kit looks pretty good if you can find the parts. A GT2 wing is a bit much on a narrow-body 996, but a GT3 wing looks good, of course.

I wouldn't add FI to an M96 engine. It wasn't designed for it and if it goes bang that's a very expensive day. The factory turbos have a different engine block. IMO if you get a 996 just enjoy it as it was made. If you've got to have boost, get a factory turbo. 996 turbos are a performance bargain on the market right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are probably right about leaving the engine alone. As it stands, it is just as fast if not faster then the gto I had, and that was plenty fast. I'll check into that aero kit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/shop_zpsn0gs8btm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/shop_zpsn0gs8btm.jpg</a>

View Quote

I just noticed the pic, you have a GT in your shop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I generally don't like the M96 engined cars, but they are a fantastic bargain right now.

Otherwise, I agree with what's been said.
View Quote

They do appear to be priced right. It seems like if there is a permanent fix then it's a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tat2d/media/shop_zpsn0gs8btm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Tat2d/shop_zpsn0gs8btm.jpg</a>

Ya, we have a lot of exotics.  Ford Gt, a pair of twin turbo lamborhini gallardos, pair of muricalgos, 458 italia, ferrari FF, 430 Scuderia 16M edition, diablo, testarrossa, gt2, pair of gt3's, gt3 rs, gt3 cup car, handful of 911 varities, early 60's v12 jag, some bentleys and rolls, even a maybach, and around 20 or so different BMW M cars and a handful of AMGs.  Plus all the normal commuter BMWs like I8's and i3's.  There are also a few race cars here that we handle.  Very busy shop and there aren't very many of us that work there.  We just work our asses off and pull some long hours but it is a pretty kick ass place to work.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ya, we have a lot of exotics.  Ford Gt, a pair of twin turbo lamborhini gallardos, pair of muricalgos, 458 italia, ferrari FF, 430 Scuderia 16M edition, diablo, testarrossa, gt2, pair of gt3's, gt3 rs, gt3 cup car, handful of 911 varities, early 60's v12 jag, some bentleys and rolls, even a maybach, and around 20 or so different BMW M cars and a handful of AMGs.  Plus all the normal commuter BMWs like I8's and i3's.  There are also a few race cars here that we handle.  Very busy shop and there aren't very many of us that work there.  We just work our asses off and pull some long hours but it is a pretty kick ass place to work.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's so awesome. I really need to just make the trip one day out there and stop by.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers bitch

That sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Is that a picture of Dallas Motor Sports?  If so I bought an LX 470 from you
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you ever need an extra set of hands, let me know.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pay him to hang out at that shop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, we are in the North Houston area.  We are strictly a repair/build shop so we dont really sell any cars except our personal ones when we upgrade.  We have a mild twin turbo Gallardo for sale right now if you know anyone interested, street tune is 1100 awhp.  Also a 550hp E46 M3, a Z3, and a 95 honda accord, lol.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope, we are in the North Houston area.  We are strictly a repair/build shop so we dont really sell any cars except our personal ones when we upgrade.  We have a mild twin turbo Gallardo for sale right now if you know anyone interested, street tune is 1100 awhp.  Also a 550hp E46 M3, a Z3, and a 95 honda accord, lol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of #'s the accords putting down?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top