Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 6:47:03 AM EDT
I'm getting rid of my PITA Honda Civic and seriously looking at a low mileage LS430. I'm tired of driving tiny cars and I need something safe to haul my grandchild around in. I know the drive train is very reliable and I know to avoid the UL models with the air suspension. What other pitfalls might I expect? Is the AC system solid long-term? Would you buy again if you had a do-over? I was leaning towards a V8 4runner, but this model got my attention.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
How is a Civic a PITA car?  How old is it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is a Civic a PITA car?  How old is it?
View Quote

03 SI. 2nd AC compressor broke (faulty comp design for that era's K20's, broken shift cable, broken door handles, wonky VTEC spool valve assembly connection (goes into limp home mode occasionally), shitty faux suede upholstery, slow, bad window motors and door lock actuators. It still cranks and gets me to work, and I wrench on it myself, but it's a general pain in the ass and it's too small for anyone but me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had one and it was awesome.

The repair costs are more than Range Rover and Jaguar though. Possibly the most expensive production car on the planet to repair.
View Quote

Were repairs done at the dealer or an independent shop, and what were the most expensive repairs? I can do most repair work, but I'm concerned about certain expensive parts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a land cruiser which has basically the same engine. They run forever. Expect to do the water pump and timing belt every 90-100k at a cost of around a grand. I'd avoid one with built in navigation because if the screen goes it you can't control your AC and it's expensive to replace. My buddy has an 04 with over 200k miles and loves it. I'd like to have one as a highway commuter. Possibly the best all around car ever made.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm getting rid of my PITA Honda Civic and seriously looking at a low mileage LS430. I'm tired of driving tiny cars and I need something safe to haul my grandchild around in. I know the drive train is very reliable and I know to avoid the UL models with the air suspension. What other pitfalls might I expect? Is the AC system solid long-term? Would you buy again if you had a do-over? I was leaning towards a V8 4runner, but this model got my attention.
View Quote

So why are you looking at a 2001-2006 MY vehicle?

Plenty of newer vehicles of comparable cost that are safer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My Mother-in-Law has a 2003.  It looks like a brand new car.  The only sign of wear is the carpeting (which was light colored in those days) and the leather (to be expected).

The car looks new on the outside and runs like a new car.  Nav still works great.  Roadside assistance is no longer active because Lexus changed to digital and didn't make it backward compatible.   She has never had any problems with the air conditioner, and the car has lived in very hot climates its whole life.

Her's has the air suspension, which has never caused any issues, repairs, or problems.

It's a hoot to stomp on the accelerator!!!  V-8, Baby.

Every time she takes it to Lexus for service (which is the real reason to own Lexus IMHO), they try to buy, or trade her out of the car.  They want it bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2001 LS430 UL with 246k miles and it is my only vehicle. Its been my daily driver since 2004. Prior to that I drove a 1993 LS400 to 200k and a '87 Honda Accord to 225k, so I have experience driving Japanese cars to high miles.

I can't find a reason to get rid of the LS430. There is no other car on the used market that offers this level of luxury and reliability for $10-15k, like the 2001-2006 model LS430. I've never had any major issues other than routine maintenance every 30k miles and oil changes every 5k miles. I replaced a few parts here and there (radiator, MAF sensor ($75), valve cover gaskets) but by and large the car never has unreasonable mechanical or electrical issues. It starts every time, and drives as smooth as can be. I STILL get people in my car that comment about how nice the interior is and how smooth and quiet the car rides.

I disagree about high maintenance costs. Most parts are available online or through Toyota and the car is VERY easy to work on yourself. None of the crazy disassembly problems like you'd have with a BMW or Merc. I can service the brakes for less than $100 and in less than an hour. Stay away from the Lexus dealers, just use any decent indy shop or a Toyota dealer.

I recommend finding a UL model. The extra luxury features are very nice. The air suspension shocks do eventually go bad but they can be replaced with the stock sport suspension for around $1000 for all 4. I replaced my front air shocks at 130k and am still rolling on the original rear air shocks, so there's a chance you may never even need to replace them.

Air conditioning has worked flawlessly its entire life, and I LIVE IN PHOENIX SO ITS HOT!

Check out clublexus.com and you'll find solutions to all the known issues with the car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said earlier, I can do most repairs except for internal engine work and transmissions so as long as the parts are reasonable and it isn't ridiculous to get access to the parts then I can handle it. Glad to hear they're easy to work on. I just had concerns about possible wiring or ECU problems (which is another Civic problem - dead SRS module) and issues with all the electronic doodads that could break but aren't repairable. I'll start looking around Club Lexus too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be some suggestions in the <17k range?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said earlier, I can do most repairs except for internal engine work and transmissions so as long as the parts are reasonable and it isn't ridiculous to get access to the parts then I can handle it. Glass to hear they're easy to work on. I just had concerns about possible wiring or ECU problems (which is another Civic problem - dead SRS module) and issues with all the electronic doodads that could break but aren't repairable. I'll start looking around Club Lexus too.
View Quote

Don't worry about wiring or ECU problems, they simply don't exist. As far as the doodads, many are actually repairable. My father used to own a 1988 BMW 753i. Holy shit that thing was in the shop every month. Every time there was a problem with the car it would need some type of "control module" replaced. The headlights would randomly turn off at night.....headlight control module...$500. WTF? None of that crap with the Lexus.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The repair costs are more than Range Rover and Jaguar though. Possibly the most expensive production car on the planet to repair.
View Quote

I am not buying that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
same boat as you - looking for a safe, comfortable car under 15k. I'm looking at grand marquis, but not really sold on the look
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2010+ Chevrolet Malibu

2012+ Ford Fusion

2014+ Toyota Camry

2013+ Honda Accord

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mmm, because Lexus makes stupid quiet, safe, comfortable, and reliable vehicles?  Just picked up an IS250, will keep it until it dies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#16]
no doubt... I have a GX470 and I love it.  Best automobile I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
no doubt... I have a GX470 and I love it.  Best automobile I've ever owned.
View Quote

I gave a serious look at that one, too. Very nice. If I needed 4wd that would be my top pick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mmm, because Lexus makes stupid quiet, safe, comfortable, and reliable vehicles?  Just picked up an IS250, will keep it until it dies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that particular lexus doesn't hold up well to contemporary vehicles regarding crash ratings.

And here is another tidbit:  The driver that was killed in the crash involving Bruce Jenner earlier this year was driving a LS430. (03-06 iteration)

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well that particular lexus doesn't hold up well to contemporary vehicles regarding crash ratings.

And here is another tidbit:  The driver that was killed in the crash involving Bruce Jenner earlier this year was driving a LS430. (03-06 iteration)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In all fairness, her LS430 was hit head-on by an H2 Hummer. The front end sustained major damage but the entire passenger cabin was completely intact. Most vehicles would probably fair the same in that accident. I'm not privy to the autopsy report but I'd venture a guess that her death was due to the sudden rear and/or front impact and her elderly age. Neither the brain nor a weakened aorta fair well under the sudden acceleration she sustained. I would risk my life in that LS430 over a Chevy Malibu or Ford Fusion any day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am not buying that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not buying that.

Lawyer I work with has a GX460.  His repair and maintenance bills are MUCH more than my beemer.  That thing seemingly always needs $700-$1000 maintenance and little fixes.  Has it left him stranded?  Nope.  But it has certainly been exponentially more expensive to maintain than my over engineered German car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lawyer I work with has a GX460.  His repair and maintenance bills are MUCH more than my beemer.  That thing seemingly always needs $700-$1000 maintenance and little fixes.  Has it left him stranded?  Nope.  But it has certainly been exponentially more expensive to maintain than my over engineered German car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not buying that.

I started looking at Club Lexus after posting here and from what I can see, the newer models with the 4.6 are having more issues than the older ones. I also saw examples that Lexus service departments charge stupid prices. One person posted that he was quoted $1000 on a replacement radiator. Rock Auto has those for less than $150 and it's an easy repair. Even timing belt kits with water pumps are under $200, and that's about a 5 hour job on that engine from reading up on it.  Dealers charge around $1500. Insane.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not buying that.

I've owned 3 BMWs, 325 '04, 550 '08, and M3 '10.  Never again.

Water pump.
Electrical Issues.
Drive Shaft.
Nav.
Speakers blown.
Rattles everywhere.
Radiator.

I could go on.  Most reliable was actually the '10 E90 M3, oddly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Former '04 LS430 owner.

Replaced A/C system ($1100 at dealer)
Master brake cylinder failed ($800 at dealer)
Had dealer re-program transmission shift points to smooth it out when going from 2nd to 1st gear
Had dealer turn off tilt wheel mode

Had a Toyota dealer do timing belt/water pump
Little motors that telescope/tilt steering wheel will fail

It is expensive to maintain at the Lexus dealer.  My Acura is about half the cost to maintain...even at Acura dealer prices.

The 430 is a Great car, very quiet and very smooth on open highway.  It was Lexus' flagship for sure!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not buying that.

The lawyer you work with is getting taken for a ride by service writers that work on commission, because he doesn't know shit about vehicles. In the 1st 100,000 miles a GX460 will need a set of brake pads, 4 air filters, 10 oil changes, a diff and transfer case oil change.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In all fairness, her LS430 was hit head-on by an H2 Hummer. The front end sustained major damage but the entire passenger cabin was completely intact. Most vehicles would probably fair the same in that accident. I'm not privy to the autopsy report but I'd venture a guess that her death was due to the sudden rear and/or front impact and her elderly age. Neither the brain nor a weakened aorta fair well under the sudden acceleration she sustained. I would risk my life in that LS430 over a Chevy Malibu or Ford Fusion any day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the same model years as the LS430, sure.  But the current fusion/malibu?  They fare much better in crash testing than the LS430.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I started looking at Club Lexus after posting here and from what I can see, the newer models with the 4.6 are having more issues than the older ones. I also saw examples that Lexus service departments charge stupid prices. One person posted that he was quoted $1000 on a replacement radiator. Rock Auto has those for less than $150 and it's an easy repair. Even timing belt kits with water pumps are under $200, and that's about a 5 hour job on that engine from reading up on it.  Dealers charge around $1500. Insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not buying that.

Yes the LS460 has had more issues than the LS430. And yes stay away from the dealer, they will rape you. They have to rape you because when the car rarely breaks, they need to make it count when it does! And you're correct, radiator is cheap and OEM water pump kit can be bought from Toyota for $225, and you can easily do it yourself. Like I said, there's nothing retarded about the design and maintenance of the car, so most stuff you can do yourself, especially if you have access to a lift.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't believe that for 99% of parts.  Taking it ONLY to Lexus for repairs, maybe, but why would you do that?

Plus I'd say the LS430 might be one of the most reliable cars out there.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The lawyer you work with is getting taken for a ride by service writers that work on commission, because he doesn't know shit about vehicles. In the 1st 100,000 miles a GX460 will need a set of brake pads, 4 air filters, 10 oil changes, a diff and transfer case oil change.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not buying that.

You may well be right.  My post was completely anecdotal and a singular data point for the OP's consideration.  And as others have noted, he is going through a dealership that is undoubtedly costing him more than a DIY'er or Indy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top