Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:32 AM EDT
In my search for a fun/fast car I started at the Mustang GT then went to a turbo'd Subaru and now I'm considering the 11-12 Mustang again.  The reason why I'm back is due to learning that the used Subaru's need a ton of work done to them past a certain mileage to keep them running.  Just curious if the Mustangs require the same in their turbo models?

Or can you buy them at 50k-100k and they are fine?  

If all I have to do is the normal wear/tear items that high mileage is going to bring (axles, brakes, fluids, suspension, etc.) no big deal.  But engine/trans work is something I'd like to avoid since I don't do the  work myself.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In my search for a fun/fast car I started at the Mustang GT then went to a turbo'd Subaru and now I'm considering the 11-12 Mustang again.  The reason why I'm back is due to learning that the used Subaru's need a ton of work done to them past a certain mileage to keep them running.  Just curious if the Mustangs require the same in their turbo models?

If all I have to do is the normal wear/tear items that high mileage is going to bring (axles, brakes, fluids, suspension, etc.) no big deal.  But engine/trans work is something I'd like to avoid since I don't do the  work myself.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

My highest mileage Mustang was 143k miles. I modded the shit out of it even with high mileage (intake, exhaust, cam, etc) and it ran like a top till the day I moved on. I'm on Mustang number 5 now, which happens to be an 11 GT with 93k miles. Runs fantastic. Nothing more than your typical maintenance is needed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My highest mileage Mustang was 143k miles. I modded the shit out of it even with high mileage (intake, exhaust, cam, etc) and it ran like a top till the day I moved on. I'm on Mustang number 5 now, which happens to be an 11 GT with 93k miles. Runs fantastic. Nothing more than your typical maintenance is needed.
View Quote

Ok, so no engine/turbo/clutch work needed even at 93k-143k?  

Good to know, thanks for sharing.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Clutch is all in how you drive and what you do.

First car had stock clutch at 143k when sold. Second Mustang was a 99 Cobra, still had stock clutch at 119k after I sold it. Third (and only one to ever have problems) was a supercharged 96 Cobra with 55k miles. Previous owner destroyed the shift forks in the trans. Not the cars fault. 06 GT had 75k miles when I got it, stock clutch until I sold it at 97k miles. Now the 11 GT. None have had engine work other than what I wanted to do. No turbos on the modern Mustangs (until the 2015 Ecoboost)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The MT82 is a pretty shitty trans.   If you are beating on it then expect clutch or trans issues at some point.

But if driven normally then it wont go too far south on you.

My 05 GT's clutch lasted to 120k miles.   When I replaced the clutch I did a trans rebuild even though it likely didnt need it.   I went to a 1 piece drive shaft and adjustable upper control arm at the same time.

Car has 123k miles on it and gets driven pretty hard.

The 5.0 4v Coyote is a way better engine than the 3v 4.6.    Trans/clutch is the "meh" part.

It didnt get any better with the 2015 either, I just got a 2015 GT PP and the stock shifter is vague as hell and the clutch is "off or on" due to a stupid helper spring for the clutch pedal that I need to remove.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

If you get a Coyote, make sure to have a compression check done on it. The early (11-12's) were subject to shitty tunes that killed or damaged piston rings. Some of these cars are floating around on the used market. Try to find as bone stock a car as you can. Regardless, have a pro do a compression test (about $100) - pay particular attention to cylinder #8. MOST of the MT82 issues got worked out by January 2013. If the trans in the car is a 2013 production or later, it should be just a good as any other Ford manual trans. The 2010-2012 MT82 are prone to being buckets of shit.

Regardless, RevAuto in Baltimore can rebuild the hell out of an MT82 for less than $2K.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Been running Mustangs for 35 years, die hard ford guy.

Just picked up a 2010 DODGE CHARGER pursuit, 109000 miles with the 5.7 Hemi. All black with spot light and brush guard. $5500, YES $5500. Funniest car I've owned. Just sold my 02 GT convertible. Hate to switch but I'm quickly becoming a Dodge guy. Look around these car are coming off service and for the money are awesome cars to rip around with.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Turbo Mustang GT??  Are you talking about a stock production car??  No such an animal exists.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
There's only one question, what are you trying to spend?  this will tell me what you should buy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2011 GT w/manual trans. Only 69K on it, but I've done nothing but oil changes and tires.

In direct contrast to the BMW it replaced, the car has been a dream to own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top