Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2015 2:06:09 AM EDT
Polaris announced a several new products for 2016. The most interesting new introduction is the RZR 1000 Turbo. Yes, you read that right.  144hp.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Can-Am has a 1000 Turbo they are trying to keep up with...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The Can Am product has about 120hp.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Polaris announced a several new products for 2016. The most interesting new introduction is the RZR 1000 Turbo. Yes, you read that right.  144hp.  Crazy.
View Quote

ty

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the turbo was 925cc?  Regardless, 144hp in a 1400lb machine would be a fun ride if you have the room to open it up.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the turbo was 925cc?  Regardless, 144hp in a 1400lb machine would be a fun ride if you have the room to open it up.

View Quote

All the specs have not been released. During the introduction they said the engine was "all new". The  normal RZR Xp 1000 is 999cc engine.  Also introduced was a 60 hp Ace, highlifter versions of sportsman and ranger, and a 100hp version of the smaller 60" version of the RZR.  Big crowds around the Indian, Victory, and Slingshot display. No new introductions with those brands.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All the specs have not been released. During the introduction they said the engine was "all new". The  normal RZR Xp 1000 is 999cc engine.  Also introduced was a 60 hp Ace, highlifter versions of sportsman and ranger, and a 100hp version of the smaller 60" version of the RZR.  Big crowds around the Indian, Victory, and Slingshot display. No new introductions with those brands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going of of the "leaked" (probably by Polaris) photo of a brochure the other day, I swear it said 925cc turbo.  That would leave room to turbo the 1000 engine once Can Am answers the call next year.  Where is Arctic Cat in all this?  Or are they in bed with Yamaha's supposed Big Release this fall?  Hmmmmm.

I have a 2014 XP1000 and it's plenty for me in my riding area.  The dunes guys are gonna go nuts for this new turbo job though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Confirmed in a meeting: the turbo 1000 has 925cc engine
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love to take one of these turbo rigs for a spin
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Neighbor has one of those "hopped up looking four wheelers"...

Where does one ride these things?
Sand? Dirt, Track?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would love to take one of these turbo rigs for a spin
View Quote

You live in the right place! Hard to find places in Texas.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neighbor has one of those "hopped up looking four wheelers"...

Where does one ride these things?
Sand? Dirt, Track?
View Quote

Yes! Anywhere you want. I will say that cleaning off mud is not phone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Confirmed in a meeting: the turbo 1000 has 925cc engine
View Quote

Then it is not a 1000   False advertisement!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#13]
good.  the more power the better.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
You know, I get that these things are fun but the are getting huge. Like dimensionally huge. It seems like you are to the point of just getting a well built up jeep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know, I get that these things are fun but the are getting huge. Like dimensionally huge. It seems like you are to the point of just getting a well built up jeep.
View Quote

They are getting big but a Jeep is still bigger.  And weight makes a big difference.  My XP1000 weighs 1400lbs without me in it, I drove a stock Jeep wrangler over a scale the other day and it was 3900lbs with me in the seat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They are getting big but a Jeep is still bigger.  And weight makes a big difference.  My XP1000 weighs 1400lbs without me in it, I drove a stock Jeep wrangler over a scale the other day and it was 3900lbs with me in the seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup l, the weight is the killer. It is hard to justify when they cost as much as a decent jeep.

I really wish you could register them on the street here. I would probably already own one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Certainly looks like a fun toy.

I have to admit though.........i don’t really get what the hell you would do with that thing.  Ride around in circles in the desert?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny thing is.......1000cc street bikes are making 175hp without a turbo     And they aren't $27,000+ like the RZR's are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Funny thing is.......1000cc street bikes are making 175hp without a turbo     And they aren't $27,000+ like the RZR's are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also wouldn't last 5 seconds doing 60mph down a forest road.  The dealership that sponsors our ATV club brought one of the first rzr 900's on a club ride and told us to have fun with it.  Dad and I drove the shit out of that thing, didn't slow down for nothing bombing through creeks, jumping it, drifting it around corners.  I drove that thing 10 times harder than I've ever ridden my ATV and it took everything I gave with ease.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw the 900 Ace today, that is damned tempting.  I may have to trade in my ATV.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They also wouldn't last 5 seconds doing 60mph down a forest road.  The dealership that sponsors our ATV club brought one of the first rzr 900's on a club ride and told us to have fun with it.  Dad and I drove the shit out of that thing, didn't slow down for nothing bombing through creeks, jumping it, drifting it around corners.  I drove that thing 10 times harder than I've ever ridden my ATV and it took everything I gave with ease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just talking about the motors.....i wasn't suggesting that you take a street bike down dirt trails. . If they can get 175+hp out of a non-forced induction (no turbo) inline 4 street bike motor, why does it take a turbo to get 144hp out of the same motor in one of those side by sides?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was just talking about the motors.....i wasn't suggesting that you take a street bike down dirt trails. . If they can get 175+hp out of a non-forced induction (no turbo) inline 4 street bike motor, why does it take a turbo to get 144hp out of the same motor in one of those side by sides?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kind of wondering about that too. Seems like 144hp and 1400 pounds isn't so great with what they could do. But then again you have years ahead to have something a little more powerful than last year introduced and make people want to buy it. Why rush and put out full capability now when there is so much money to be made.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But at what rpm does the street bike engine makes its power?  Low rpm torque?  The RZR clutch engages at around 1800 and pulls up to 8600.  There are guys with 4 cylinder bike and sled engines in them. I sold a Yamaha Apex sled engine to a guy last winter for a RZR conversion.

Check out YouTube.  There are some insanely powerful side by sides out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSRP on the new RZR 1000 turbo is $24,999.  Initially, demand will outpace supply. We are a medium volume dealer and our initial allocation is only two units. You can believe we will not be discounting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
sweet ride--pricey I bet
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I still don't get it.  25k buys you a really nice jeep that you can drive to where ever it is you are going.  No truck and trailer needed to haul your 25k around.   I'm sure they are fun but just not practical at all.  

Then again, I sold a smith 500 to a guy for the sole purpose of having the biggest gun amongst his friends.  So they will sell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I still don't get it.  25k buys you a really nice jeep that you can drive to where ever it is you are going.  No truck and trailer needed to haul your 25k around.   I'm sure they are fun but just not practical at all.  

Then again, I sold a smith 500 to a guy for the sole purpose of having the biggest gun amongst his friends.  So they will sell.
View Quote

Agreed, RZRs are not practical.  They are about pure fun. At least half of our RZR sales are cash purchases. The people that buy them want the fastest best sport utv made. I know it might be hard to believe but I see a lot of brotrucks in my parking lot. ??
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of crazy to imagine, but not everyone likes Jeeps. Nor do they want to deal with any wrenching to get it trail ready if need be. Or they don't want to deal with having another fullsize vehicle. If they already have a trailer for other toys and something to tow it, why not get the out of the box offroader?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Kind of crazy to imagine, but not everyone likes Jeeps. Nor do they want to deal with any wrenching to get it trail ready if need be. Or they don't want to deal with having another fullsize vehicle. If they already have a trailer for other toys and something to tow it, why not get the out of the box offroader?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand..   lol
I hate Jeeps.  Rough riding twitchy little bastards.  Drove a 56 Willy's last week, I'd take a RZR over one of those POS any day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to be of the same mindset but a jeep really cant touch what these things do. While a jeep can be fun they really are two different beasts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a Jeep. I was doing Engineer Pass about a month ago and got passed by several. Way faster on the Jeep trails! Looked a lot smoother too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've got a Jeep. I was doing Engineer Pass about a month ago and got passed by several. Way faster on the Jeep trails! Looked a lot smoother too.
View Quote

Isn't the challenge what it is about though? Faster and smoother would be a road.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is very practical.  A SXS will make a stock-ish Jeep look foolish and it will embarrass a highly modified Jeep, all while having a blast!  That's a stock unit...wait 'til you start modding it

Go check out some Youtube videos
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nowhere near the same motors.  Completely different animals.  That's like comparing a semi's diesel to the latest supercar's engine.  A streetbike is designed for high RPM's to squeeze every last ounce of power out of it for racing purposes.  SXS's need a lot more low end torque to get 4 large tires turning while buried in the mud.  Use the right tool (engine) for the job.  

Just for fun:  Using the numbers of 144HP per .925L, my 5.7L Hemi should be making 887HP.  That would be nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top