Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/27/2015 8:39:55 PM EDT
Finally got my license and I'm am looking at getting a used bike from a Harley dealer. It's a 2010 XL883 Low with engine guards, exhaust, shield, new battery and rear tire. 6457 miles. Asking 5995.

This is my first bike. Never been on a bike except last weekend for a BRC. This is far from my ideal look/setup but I think it's better then spending 3x as much for an 883 iron.

The used 1200s seem just big enough to be to big for me right now so I'm starting with an 883 maybe with a 1200cc conversion down the road.

Any advice on dealing with the actual sale? I can pay cash or finance if it will get me a better deal.

Here's the bike and below is what I actually want to end up with down the road.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a lot for something you will probably drop, maybe lay down and or otherwise scratch up.  But then I'm not a Harley guy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea I was hoping for a $500 beater but not possible around here. So I figure if I mess the finish up enough I'll have it repainted or just ride it till its toast and spring for a brand new bike
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, could be worse.

I say good buy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
SO where is the MC?

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The first Harley I owned was a Sportster. 01 883 that I later did the conversion on myself. Owned that bike for ten years before I traded it in on an Electra Glide. I wanted to take longer trips on a bike. I kind of miss my Sportster. If you are dealing with a dealership then you probably aren't going to get them to move on the price at all. Good luck with the bike and enjoy. If you want to learn a lot about Sportsters you can try xlforum.net. There is a lot of good information over there for Sportsters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I would seriously consider getting a Low Rider, Fatboy, Heritage,  Wideglide, Softail etc. instead of a sporty.  Get a little bit older one for the same $$ as the Sporty and have a bike that rides better, handles better and has way more power and the fuel capacity to go more than 80-100 miles.  Sproties always are the ones that run out of gas on long hauls.  Buy form private party.  It's a buyer's market.

Good Luck and watch out for the people in their cages texting!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I give this advice to all new riders and almost all tell me they wish they had listened.  Don't buy a small or low powered bike because you think it will be easier to ride or learn how to ride.  You can crash an 883 just as easy as a 1200 or even a 103ci.  It will take you about 2 months to master that 883 and then you'll wish you had something bigger.  If that's all you can afford or will never want anything bigger, then buy it.  If you are buying that size because it's makes you feel more comfortable in the beginning... you will soon realize your mistake and have to trade up.  Deal with the fear up front and buy the bike you'll still love a year from now.

Aside from that advice... that's a nice looking bike.

P.S. It has saddlebag brackets.  Where are the saddlebags?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a bigger bike or you will be sorry later on !
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I want a 1200 however I'm not worried about being able to handle it I'm worried about it actually fitting me and not breaking my bank.

There is a new 1200 but it's 8k plus the 2k ID have to put into it to get it like this 883. This is going to be mainly for fine tuning my skills and going to and from work about 15min one way.

I will prob be the last owner this bike has. I'm going to try and get a sissy bar and bags from the dealer. Also have a $275 gift card.

How are the Harley branded bags?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't get a 883. At least go 1200 for a sportster.
edit: and sissy bars look bad on a swingarm bike.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Id just get the 883, it's cheap to build it into a 1200 or larger down the road anyways. Or sell it after a year and get the bike you want. It won't loose much value unless you put tons of miles on it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
We just bought a bike, and I say we because the wife and me are about 50/50 for putting miles on it. We bought a Dyna WG.

She was a little worried about size, but two weeks into ownership she's as happy as can be. I'm looking at maybe a RK in another year or so.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I want a 1200 however I'm not worried about being able to handle it I'm worried about it actually fitting me and not breaking my bank.

There is a new 1200 but it's 8k plus the 2k ID have to put into it to get it like this 883. This is going to be mainly for fine tuning my skills and going to and from work about 15min one way.

I will prob be the last owner this bike has. I'm going to try and get a sissy bar and bags from the dealer. Also have a $275 gift card.
View Quote

Trust me the 1200 won't be to much for you if you have any semblance of self control, and I say this as a former 883 owner.  Still own my Sportster, but it's now a 1250 putting down way more power than a stock 1200.  

How tall are you and what's your inseam?  The only reason to get a low is if you're short or have short legs.  They have shorter front tubes so if you decide you want to raise it up you'll need new fork tubes.  The rear suspension is shorter as well, but no issue to swap out.

Personally I'd avoid buying anything extra at the dealership for right now.  Ride it for a bit and see what you do or do not like.  I still have a set of saddle bags I used maybe 4 or 5 times before I decided I didn't care for them.

Go to xlforum.net, do some reading there and post an introduction thread.  That place will become your new home and teach you everything you need/want to know about your bike.

ETA: Sportsters are great bikes, and I love mine to death and will likely not part with it willingly, but they are not for everyone.  I'd give some serious look into the Dyna models as well OP.  I know it seems like a huge step up, but IMHO they're really the best bang for your buck when it comes to newer HD's.  They're really not that much bigger or heavier than the sportsters, and IMHO they actually ride better.  The sportster will always feel like a top heavy bike, the Dyna seems to carry the weight a bit better.  And IIRC around that model year the lean angles and ground clearance figures were better for the Dyna lineup than the sportster lineup.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Id just get the 883, it's cheap to build it into a 1200 or larger down the road anyways. Or sell it after a year and get the bike you want. It won't loose much value unless you put tons of miles on it.
View Quote

Actually not true for Sportsters after 2004.  The 1200 models have much better heads.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 5' 7" on a good day. I need low and slim with from controls. Also like the engine guards especially for starting out. I'm going to test ride a 1200 and a 883 in the next few days and see which one I like the best. Really comes down to price and if I can get a seat that allows my feet to rest firmly on the ground.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]
F'it...buy it and ride it.
Don't like it? Sell it and buy something else. Rinse and repeat. Been doing this since 1978. Never really had a bike I hated, liked some better than others.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
There are a plethora of seat/bar/peg option to get a bike to fit you.  Just because the one in the showroom is too tall/long reach, doesn't mean you cannot tailor it to your body.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#18]
What is the horsepower of the 1200 vs the 883?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not much 50-60 horsepower unless they have changed over the years. I think the bigger one has a little more torque. Funny thing is years ago when they came out they were considered fast as hell  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the horsepower of the 1200 vs the 883?
Not much 50-60 horsepower unless they have changed over the years. I think the bigger one has a little more torque. Funny thing is years ago when they came out they were considered fast as hell  

So not crazy hp that would get a noob into trouble.
If that's the case go with the 1200 for resale value alone.

My two cents, Gary
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Good for you. I just picked up a 98 Electra Glide Anniversary, in fantastic shape.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are a plethora of seat/bar/peg option to get a bike to fit you.  Just because the one in the showroom is too tall/long reach, doesn't mean you cannot tailor it to your body.
View Quote

I know but I'm already looking at being 1k over budget right off the bat. Trying not to spend and more then I have to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Look I am going to advise not to get such a heavy bike despite the fact it is what I learned to ride on....Blah, blah, blah we have gone over this a lot.

Now with that out of the way and your mind is set on a sportster let me say I love them though I currently ride a Heritage softail and a Triumph. But I would go straight to a 1200 as there is not very much HP anyway. Secondly, I would say that if you don't have to have financing there is an insane amount of quality sportsters on the used market in the $3500 and down range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Secondly, I would say that if you don't have to have financing there is an insane amount of quality sportsters on the used market in the $3500 and down range.
View Quote

Agreed....plus if you can find a 2000-2003, and you don't mind carburetors, you'll get one of the best sportsters ever made.  When they redesigned it in 2004 they porked the bike up weight wise and made the frame geometry a bit crappier (lean angles suck) but you get a rubber mounted motor which does a little to help with vibrations (I don't think the difference is that noticeable).  EFI came about in 2007, so you can go back that far if you're wanting to stick with EFI.  If you're paying more than $5K for a Sportster with the usual accompaniment of off the shelf bolt on accessories, you're paying way to much IMHO.

I also forgot to answer your previous question about HD financing on used bikes.  LOL Don't!  Their rates usually suck, try to see if you can get a better rate from a lending institution (good luck).

Unless you're 110% dead set on a 883 Sportster as your first bike, seriously look at the Yamaha Bolt.  It's honestly the better buy when it comes to this style of bike.  Neither are perfect, but I think you get a better value for your dollar with the Bolt.  Aftermarket accessories for the Bolt aren't as numerous as the Sportster, but they were getting better last I checked (about a year ago).  Price wise brand new they're right around $8K.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think sportsters were raced back when they first came out
View Quote

Link

"Leo Payne was a leading drag racer and top-speed record racer from the 1950s through the 1970s. He was a drag racing champion and set numerous records on his highly modified Harley-Davidson Sportsters. His custom-built machine, dubbed "Turnip Eater," was also the first non-streamliner to go over 200 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1969"
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Around me the price is around 5-6k for a 2007 1200. I could save a bit of money buying from a third party but I'd rather have a limited warranty then none at all.

Only reason I'd finance is to get a better deal. Pay it to $100 and let it sit on my credit report to build payment history.

the bike in the OP has about anything I'd add but I'd rather get a 1200
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#28]
If you're over 5 foot 8 you're gonna be cramped...Ask me how I know...My first bike was a Sporty, I had it for about 1 month :P

Seems like a "okay" price though, and don't listen to any of that "girls bike" stuff. You'd be fine with a 1200. It's not like a 600cc or 1000cc sportbike in regards to power delivery - much "smoother".

ETA: Just read you're 5 foot 7, you should be okay.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#29]
That seems pretty high to me especially since you will be paying a bunch of tax and fees from the dealer. If you must have that one pick a out the door price and stick to it.

Around here you can grab sportsters under 5k pretty regularly if you are diligent on craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 EDT
[#30]
The other thing is I still need ALL my riding gear and whatever addons I may want. Also going to try to get the.

What I'm looking at now:
From revzilla
Icon citadel Jack and pants $432
Cobra engine guard $180
Bell Revolver Evo $200
From Harley I also have a $275 gift certificate so maybe I can get all my Harley stuff for free in the end.
Digital gear indicator 219
Reduced effort clutch kit 49.95
Buckshot exhaust hear shield 149.95
Muffler heat shield 129.95
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The other thing is I still need ALL my riding gear and whatever addons I may want. Also going to try to get the.

What I'm looking at now:
From revzilla
Cobra engine guard $180
Bell Revolver Evo $200
From Harley I also have a $275 gift certificate so maybe I can get all my Harley stuff for free in the end.

View Quote

Why would you waste money on silly shit like that without buying the bike and actually riding it for a while?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm 5' 7" on a good day. I need low and slim with from controls. Also like the engine guards especially for starting out. I'm going to test ride a 1200 and a 883 in the next few days and see which one I like the best. Really comes down to price and if I can get a seat that allows my feet to rest firmly on the ground.
View Quote

Those "engine guards" are good for when the bike falls over at zero mph, but an just about any speed over that they will fold like paper.

If it was your "first Harley" I would advise something bigger, but not for a "first bike".  883cc and 550 lbs is plenty big enough for a beginner.  

I'm sure, if motorcycling and Harleys are agreeable to you, you will graduate to something bigger in the near future, but it's also possible that motorcycling or Harley just isn't for you so there's no need to invest any more than the minimum until you have a little more experience.    
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Are you a female?  My mother used to ride a sportster...Men's Harelys are measured in inches not centimeters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why would you waste money on silly shit like that without buying the bike and actually riding it for a while?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm looking at now:
From revzilla
Cobra engine guard $180
Bell Revolver Evo $200

This. After riding for a while you probably won't want any of that in a couple of months. Don't skimp on gear but you don't have to break the bank either.

I bought a 2006 1200 with only 1900 miles on memorial day at right around the same price as that 883, as of last week I've put just over 2000 miles on it. If I were you I wouldn't mess with an 883, I love my bike but I'm already eyeballing fat boy's. I just want more power, and I'm not sure the 1200 will ever be as strong as I want (then again, I don't think any bike will be as strong as I want)...the only thing keeping me on the sportster is the "sportyness" of it (you can really toss it through the curves). Also, that one is EFI, AND you're going to want to put exhaust on it if it's not already there...then you're going to have to map it to get the fuel/air right, which is expensive. A carb'd bike is MUCH easier to work on.

If you're dead set on that bike, pick it up! You'll want to pick up some exhaust/an intake/get it mapped shortly after, then start looking at 1200 or 1250 kits. Lowbrow seems like decent prices.

When it's all said and done, get a bike, whichever one makes you happy and go give it hell!

Eta; that 275 dollar gift card won't get you anything significant from the parts counter at the shop, you might be able to get a couple of those harley shirts everybody hates on though

ETA II; Don't give them a dime until they give you the saddlebags that went on those brackets, those things are expensive! ....plus it looks goofy with just the brackets lol
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#35]
At 5'7" I think you should get a Dyna or Softail.

Both sit better than the Sporty and are vastly superior on longer hauls. And you can get either with an Evo engine in your price range. Fuck that warranty.

Plus, if you're looking to haul passengers, they will appreciate your forethought.

Lastly, NEVER ride a bike only 15 minutes - especially, not repeatedly. That's not nearly enough time for the engine to warm up and you're just asking for problems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#36]
The price I high and the warranty is pretty much a joke they leverage as a sales tactic. A sportster, even EFI, s pretty simple to work on yourself. Bikes are pretty simple machines. If the previous owner didn't mess with the wiring that eliminates 90% of the problems. Suspension and motor account for the remaining 10%, but those are harder to screw up short of gross negligence...and that's usually very apparent and easy to spot when talking with a previous owner.

All the stuff you listed about getting from the dealer, don't bother. I have yet to burn my leg on my pipes, a gear selector is extra fluff you don't need when learning, and unless you have a medical issue affecting your left hand you shouldn't have any issues with the clutch lever. JMHO but those are all pissing money down the drain.

As for your riding gear look at motorcyclegear.com.  They seem to always have the best deals and prices.  Buy your helmet locally and try a bunch on.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are you a female?  My mother used to ride a sportster...Men's Harelys are measured in inches not centimeters.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is stupid comments like this that tells me when someone rides for show and isn't really a motorcycle person at heart.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? The small Sporster may be too small for you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm looking at now:
From revzilla
Cobra engine guard $180
Bell Revolver Evo $200

No kidding. Buy some good ankle-protecting bike-specific boots too.  Your work boots hold up about as well as tennis shoes in a slide under a heavy bike.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm looking at now:
From revzilla
Cobra engine guard $180
Bell Revolver Evo $200

Well thanks for the constructive input. That was cosmetic stuff I was going to try to get thrown in to sweeten the deal since I don't.really care for all the chrome. See rhyme and reason.

ETA: The reduced effort clutch kit is because I rapidly lose feeling in my hands to a medical condition the VA and army docs call IDFK. It was supposed to clear up after tour 1, it didn't.After tour 2 same deal. So I guess it really is wasting money on silly shit. My bad.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good job hero. I'm sure your pearls of wisdom have served many well over the.years. it's assailed such as yourself the get FNGs splatter across the black top or bankrupt trying to fit your "ideals".

I'm sorry I'm not the kind of guy you'd be.interested in but kindly fuckoff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? The small Sporster may be too small for you.
View Quote

I test rode a 1200 and the 883 in the open today. The 1200 was just slightly to big.

It rode fine but at a stop it just didn't fit well.

I bought the 883 from the OP. It had all the.add-ons I wanted minus the little gear indicator.

In a few years I may have it converted to a 1250 but for now it will get me to and from work and maybe to a few CVMA events.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I test rode a 1200 and the 883 in the open today. The 1200 was just slightly to big.

I bought the 883 from the OP. It had all the.add-ons I wanted minus the little gear indicator.

In a few years I may have it converted to a 1250 but for now it will get me to and from work and maybe to a few CVMA events.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sportster hate is just like the harley hate, nobody will say it to your face. The only thing anybody has ever said to my face about my sportster is that it sounds better than other sportsters (shout out to Darkstar for helping me tune it, hit him up, very knowledgeable guy).

Which CVMA chapter? I've been thinking about riding with them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The sportster hate is just like the harley hate, nobody will say it to your face. The only thing anybody has ever said to my face about my sportster is that it sounds better than other sportsters (shout out to Darkstar for helping me tune it, hit him up, very knowledgeable guy).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy.has been in a few chapters and highly recommends it seems like it is a modern version of the VFW (I'm a lifetime member but have yet to go-to a hall). The closest chapter to me is 19-4.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Trust me the 1200 won't be to much for you if you have any semblance of self control, and I say this as a former 883 owner.  Still own my Sportster, but it's now a 1250 putting down way more power than a stock 1200.  

How tall are you and what's your inseam?  The only reason to get a low is if you're short or have short legs.  They have shorter front tubes so if you decide you want to raise it up you'll need new fork tubes.  The rear suspension is shorter as well, but no issue to swap out.

Personally I'd avoid buying anything extra at the dealership for right now.  Ride it for a bit and see what you do or do not like.  I still have a set of saddle bags I used maybe 4 or 5 times before I decided I didn't care for them.

Go to xlforum.net, do some reading there and post an introduction thread.  That place will become your new home and teach you everything you need/want to know about your bike.

ETA: Sportsters are great bikes, and I love mine to death and will likely not part with it willingly, but they are not for everyone.  I'd give some serious look into the Dyna models as well OP.  I know it seems like a huge step up, but IMHO they're really the best bang for your buck when it comes to newer HD's.  They're really not that much bigger or heavier than the sportsters, and IMHO they actually ride better.  The sportster will always feel like a top heavy bike, the Dyna seems to carry the weight a bit better.  And IIRC around that model year the lean angles and ground clearance figures were better for the Dyna lineup than the sportster lineup.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the forum link.I was looking at eventually doing a 1200 conversion but ill wait it out until I decide if ill be keeping the bike for a LONG time. And if I am ill be going for the full blown 1250 upgrade and essentially rebuilding the bike exactly how I want. But that's prob 5 years down the road.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My buddy.has been in a few chapters and highly recommends it seems like it is a modern version of the VFW (I'm a lifetime member but have yet to go-to a hall). The closest chapter to me is 19-4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was gonna say we'll ride but that's a long way away
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#48]
You may want to look at a bike with a larger fuel tank if you are going to be riding with friends.  Bikes like that look cool, but annoy the heck out of your friends when you have to stop every 80-100 miles for fuel when they are on bikes with more than a 200+ mile range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in.WA are you? My first duty station was Fort Lewis. I've done NY to WA in 36hrs prob take a week on a bike.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:08:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You may want to look at a bike with a larger fuel tank if you are going to be riding with friends.  Bikes like that look cool, but annoy the heck out of your friends when you have to stop every 80-100 miles for fuel when they are on bikes with more than a 200+ mile range.
View Quote

Right now it's a commuter bike. Down the road if I rebuild I'd definitely get a bigger tank
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top