Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 3:37:49 PM EDT
2005 Ford Escape 130K miles. Lived its life in the rust belt. I am a DIY mechanic I have a MIG welder. The question is... is it worth saving?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn!  That looks like a lot of work!  It all depends on the amount of work you think it will take vs what buying another vehicle means to you.  You could prob get away with fixing the wheel well area and only things that really need it.  As long as the rust hasnt compromised strength, dont mess with it.  

Also if all you are doing is looking to repair damage and rebuild strength, the work and welding will be way less than trying to build show quality.  Weld that bitch, primer, and some paint from a can = good to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I REALLY hate buying cars because used cars are so expensive and you just end up with another problem. Brand new is out of the question, I would have it worn out before I paid it off. Most of its surface pitting rust, all the cancer is on the thin sheet metal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Pass
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Strip it down to the good parts and build a cool FAV like the other guy on here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
too far gone at this point.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuuuukkkk no! Fix one area, another pops up.  Put effort into a car that is collectable if you're in the mood to restore something.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Scab something over the hole by the rear shock mount, fill the gaps with expando foam and run it to death.

It's not worth putting any effort into trying to mint it out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
As much as I hate cracked windshields from the gravel they use here, it sure beats the shit out of salt. Tons of 20+ year old winter beaters around here, and dedicated FJ40 plow trucks.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
That right there is one good thing about Ca that even arfcom has to agree on.....  All 6 of my cars - MY '79 - '00 - cumulativelyv have less rust than the OP.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Fire up Craigslist in Arizona,   find 2005 Escape for sale.    Purchase a plane ticket and fly to the owner,  have him pick you up at the airport and drive the damn thing home.    You'll be money and time ahead from that rusty POS even if you have to drop a crate motor in the Arizona car.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fire up Craigslist in Arizona,   find 2005 Escape for sale.    Purchase a plane ticket and fly to the owner,  have him pick you up at the airport and drive the damn thing home.    You'll be money and time ahead from that rusty POS even if you have to drop a crate motor in the Arizona car.
View Quote

...........go with something like this.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Im going to investigate this rust a little more before I decide. If the worst of it is the fender I'm going to attempt to fix it. I have a mig welder and a couple other vehicles that I am driving in the mean time. Worst case will be fix it enough to get rid of it. I hate buying cars! Seems like the newer they are the flimsier the metal is.

I did look at craigslist and most of the escapes in pheonix are being sold at buy here/pay here type places and are more than I gave for this one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im going to investigate this rust a little more before I decide. If the worst of it is the fender I'm going to attempt to fix it. I have a mig welder and a couple other vehicles that I am driving in the mean time. Worst case will be fix it enough to get rid of it. I hate buying cars! Seems like the newer they are the flimsier the metal is.

I did look at craigslist and most of the escapes in pheonix are being sold at buy here/pay here type places and are more than I gave for this one.
View Quote

Well when you do, consider that some of that rust is around major support areas, like the shocks. Unless your getting it for about 2oo bux and gonna use parts off of it, its really not worth the time or effort. You need to look at cost and time. Your mig gas and wire isnt free (unless it is) and then the time. It is the true definition of trying to polish a turd.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to clarify. I already own this vehicle and have been driving it for quite some time now. The rust on the wheel well was hidden by the crappy under coating the factory applied.

I would never buy a vehicle already in this condition.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless you got a really cheap supply of sheet metal, MIG consumables, access to metal forming and bending tools, and an assload of free time I wouldn't waste my time. That SUV would be on CL either as a part out and/or sold for scrap metal.

Since you already own it you could continue to drive it as is till you fail a safety inspection, but I would probably let it go sooner than later.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Since you already own it you could continue to drive it as is till you fail a safety inspection,
View Quote

no such thing here
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Ditch it.  I look at about three per year that are identical to that, I wont even write an estimate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#24]
You already have it... cut out what you can from that wheel well and MIG it up yourself.

Do you have a sandblaster? If so hit the other spots with it and cover with POR or something.

That is, if you like doing that type of thing, or want to do it as a learning project.

But I wouldn't spend any real money on fixing it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Take it from a ford dealer in the top of NY where they salt like its going out of style. Crush it. IF you have the time and IF you can find the parts you are going to spend a ton of time and effort to fix a car that is worth what, $3000 maybe. You are going to spend your time, mig supplies, and probably $1000 in ford parts to get it somewhere near back to whole. And after you fix that rust there is going to be more coming. Rust sucks, and it never stops. Spend the time you have allotted for fixing this one looking for a clean southern or western car. One you can put the key in and drive. You could probably pay for a plane ticket with the cats you can cut off the 05.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

no such thing here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you already own it you could continue to drive it as is till you fail a safety inspection,

no such thing here

Well that certainly explains how it's still on the road then .

Frankly unless you have some crazy sentimental attachment to this vehicle, find a different one.  The rust through near the rear shock mount is enough of a cause for concern for me to say to put this one out to pasture.  Of course this decision is up to you, but I wouldn't put my family in that car.  And frankly if you get into a wreck as a result of a catastrophic failure due to weakening of structural portions of a vehicle you can have fun with that lawsuit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Either way I HAVE to do something. Either to be able to trade it in or drive it to doom. Stand by for severity report.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top