Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 3:00:35 AM EDT
144,000 miles, looks immaculate. Possibly going to drive it tomorrow.

What should I look for as far as problems on these?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Mileage... BMW's and age can be tough on the wallet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The Boxster is a better car, and can be found for a reasonable price, if you're willing to look.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Every pieced of rubber in it.

Make sure you have a sizable repair bank account.

If you buy older vehicles for fun, American or Japanese tend to be your financial best bet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Either the year or model is wrong.  They made Z3 through 2002 and Z4 from 2003 to present day.  

Have a link to the car with a VIN # maybe?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either the year or model is wrong.  They made Z3 through 2002 and Z4 from 2003 to present day.  

View Quote

This...

But also, do yourself a favor and get a Boxster or Miata.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Just easier to read these three pages http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1530530&postcount=8

As with any BMW, records from the previous owner are very valuable.  It lets you know what was taken care of.  The 2000 is fortunate or unfortunate depending on your view point of having the S52 instead of the S54 which is a much cheaper engine to repair and maintain.  If you like doing little projects yourself, a BMW is fine.  There is so much information on the web you can fix anything on the car with a little common sense.  At that  age/mileage you will have to make sure that the suspension bushings, springs, shocks, and struts are in good order.  Something seriously neglected can lead to tears in the chassis, but its kinda rare.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Boxster is a better car, and can be found for a reasonable price, if you're willing to look.
View Quote

Found a 1998 Boxster for $9960  with 100K miles, mechanically sound.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

2000 Z3M it says
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just easier to read these three pages http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1530530&postcount=8

As with any BMW, records from the previous owner are very valuable.  It lets you know what was taken care of.  The 2000 is fortunate or unfortunate depending on your view point of having the S52 instead of the S54 which is a much cheaper engine to repair and maintain.  If you like doing little projects yourself, a BMW is fine.  There is so much information on the web you can fix anything on the car with a little common sense.  At that  age/mileage you will have to make sure that the suspension bushings, springs, shocks, and struts are in good order.  Something seriously neglected can lead to tears in the chassis, but its kinda rare.
View Quote

Will read them, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

Are the Miatas good cars? Might be able to afford a new one of those.

I like Mazdas. My Protégé lasted forever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
friend had one growing up. I thought about getting a clown shoe @ 10 years ago but it seems like they have problems with the sub frame cracking.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-club-test-review
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
At your price point, don't ignore the honda s2000 too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

I have a 2015 and it's fantastic. The 2016 (not out for consumption quite yet, but already out for the journalists) is supposed to be the best Miata ever. The Miatas have kind of gained weight and bulk ever since the NA first debuted, and this new generation (ND) is supposed to be a return to basics, shedding a ton of weight, having the most powerful naturally aspirate engine in a production Miata yet, etc.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
$9k ain't too bad, nice color. Z3s look a helluva lot easier to work on than Boxsters, less common than Miatas.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Well after looking at the cost of repairs and parts on the BMWs and considering that two (small) seats in the back would be nice, we have decided to go with a Mustang or other domestic four seat convertible. Mustangs seem to be fairly inexpensive and repair and replacement costs are about what you would expect. Looked at a Solara convertible and it seemed well made, but we both agreed it looked like a bar of soap.

Still going to be a manual convertible, so I think the wifey will still be happy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well after looking at the cost of repairs and parts on the BMWs and considering that two (small) seats in the back would be nice, we have decided to go with a Mustang or other domestic four seat convertible. Mustangs seem to be fairly inexpensive and repair and replacement costs are about what you would expect. Looked at a Solara convertible and it seemed well made, but we both agreed it looked like a bar of soap.

Still going to be a manual convertible, so I think the wifey will still be happy.
View Quote

Not really in the same league though.  Z3/Boxster/Miata/S2000 present a totally different driving experience.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not really in the same league though.  Z3/Boxster/Miata/S2000 present a totally different driving experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't doubt that one second.  But practicality and compromise have reared their ugly heads. At least it won't be a minivan, though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Look for BMW anywhere on or in it... If you find any-run

You don't buy BMWs you lease them
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Look for BMW anywhere on or in it... If you find any-run

You don't buy BMWs you lease them
View Quote

That's just weapons grade stupid.  If you have just a bit of mechanical know how, you can easily own most pre-2000 BMWs, and even a few post 2000 models.  The engines are generally well laid out, and just about any issue you run into has about 17 different forum posts on how to solve it.

None of the BMWs I've owned have had major engine or transmission failure.  I've driven over 200k+ miles in used BMWs, with the youngest BMW being 9 years old (An 89 BMW 525i I picked up in 97 that had 277k miles when I sold it).

If you can't swing a wrench then stick to a Honda, Toyota or public transportation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top