Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 10:00:46 PM EDT
Consider me a guy that has spent his whole life in motorcycles and race cars.  I'm truck ignorant but not heavy machinery ignorant.  I can drive tractors and backhoes.

Now I find myself in need of a truck.  A close friend has made a recommendation but I'd like to get the hives take on it too.

My requirements are: I'd like to stick with a V8 and 4x4.  I want LED (High intensity) lighting. I want to haul heavy stuff so it would need to be a normal size bed.  I want to spend around $35k at a max.

Please tell me what's good and what to stay away from.  

As always, I greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Please don't turn this into a dodge vs ford thread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Pickup wars are very similar to caliber wars.  In the end, with today's technology, 9 vs 40 vs 45 yield very similar results.

Ditto Ford vs GM vs Dodge.  It's all about personal preference.  Drive the big three, and one will likely emerge as your favorite.

Personally, my current truck flavor of the day is the GMT900 platform - I have an '08 Suburban 2500 and an '09 GMC Sierra Denali half ton.  I can speak best towards those models.

I think GM stepped on their dicks with the 5.3 engine that has active fuel management (cylinder deactivation) and is in the majority of 07+ GM half tons.  Neither of my trucks has the 5.3; the Burb has the 6.0, and the Denali has the 6.2.  I expect both of my trucks to hit 300k miles, if I keep them that long.  I will never buy an AFM truck from GM.  Just Google 5.3 AFM - it'll yield over a million hits.

Not sure about your lighting comment - are you talking about HID (high intensity discharge) headlights?  HIDs are optional on most trucks, but there are conversion kits out there for any specific model.  Any truck can take an aftermarket LED light bar.

What do you mean by heavy stuff?  A half-ton truck will have a payload around 2000 lbs.  You'll need to go up to a 3/4 ton or higher if you need more payload than that.

Do you plan to tow?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not enough information, see above.  "Legal" payload on a half ton will range from around 1400/1600 (fully loaded model, which if you're looking for factory HIDs it will be) to 2000 for a stripped model.  That said, if you don't really care about what the sticker says throw on some add-a-leafs or bags and you can load it down with 2400# ish without looking foolish.

If you want more and/or to stay legal, you need a 3/4 or 1-ton.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The manual transmission v8 full sized .5 ton truck has been extinct for over a decade now
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
GMC       rules
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah yes, about the towing.  Sorry for the lack of detail.  I wanted to be able to haul things like a midsize to small travel trailer, a utility trailer (5' by 12') with lumber and concrete.. or a small bobcat or a mini-excavator on a trailer.  I may be asking too much for the bobcat/mini-excavator as those are usually delivered on big trucks.  

Thanks for all of the input so far.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GMC       rules
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
GMC       rules
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You really wont go wrong with any of the big three. I would say if youll be hauling much get a 3/4 or 1ton, even if you dont think you will need it, it will be easier on the rig and things will last longer. As far as engine, again if youre going to be hauling much look into a diesel, again simply because its a meatier engine and powertrain so it wont be working as hard. Also with the new Cummins ISBs its possible to get a pickup into the high 20s for millage empty...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Are Japanese trucks worth anything?  I keep seeing threads and people talking about Toyota Tundras.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The Japanese trucks are well built, but if youll be hauling equipment you should get at least a 3/4ton. I went a lot of years with 1/2ton rated Japanese trucks, now that I have a Cummins powered 3/4ton Dodge I dont know how I did it...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The manual transmission v8 full sized .5 ton truck has been extinct for over a decade now
View Quote

He'd like "to stick" not "a stick".

My recommendation has been and will most likely always be GM 2500. I don't know if they use LED lights though. I'm pretty sure my 03 doesn't but I've never had a bulb blow out.

ETA: BTW, it's a stick.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Consider me a guy that has spent his whole life in motorcycles and race cars.  I'm truck ignorant but not heavy machinery ignorant.  I can drive tractors and backhoes.

Now I find myself in need of a truck.  A close friend has made a recommendation but I'd like to get the hives take on it too.

My requirements are: I'd like to stick with a V8 and 4x4.  I want LED (High intensity) lighting. I want to haul heavy stuff so it would need to be a normal size bed.  I want to spend around $35k at a max.

Please tell me what's good and what to stay away from.  

As always, I greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice.
View Quote

2013-2014 F150.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My recommendation has been and will most likely always be GM 2500. I don't know if they use LED lights though. I'm pretty sure my 03 doesn't but I've never had a bulb blow out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I caught that after I posted.

Other than fuel economy there are really no flies on a gasser super duty ford as long as you make sure the plugs are changed PROFESSIONALLY recently
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#14]
13' F-150

drive the eco-boost your mind will change about the 8....

420 ft lbs of torque from a stock 6 banger
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are Japanese trucks worth anything?  I keep seeing threads and people talking about Toyota Tundras.  Thanks.
View Quote

It's the only 1/2 ton I would consider.  

I don't trust anything GM or Dodge.  Older ones have rust, auto transmission, and all sorts of other issues.  The new ones haven't proven themselves yet.  I don't know much about the Fords in terms of reliability.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]
if your going to tow a bobcat or excavator get a 3/4 ton.

if your just going to haul small stuff, get a 1/2 ton.

flip a coin on which manufacture, they all make good trucks.  im partial to my Ram of course  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys!!

This has been very helpful so far.  Please keep it coming.  I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
13' F-150

drive the eco-boost your mind will change about the 8....

420 ft lbs of torque from a stock 6 banger
View Quote

This^^^^^
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy a 3/4 ton truck. It will pull a trailer much easier and haul loads way better . A 1/2 ton may do it but a 3/4 ton will do it better .
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Also another thing to consider, most new 3/4ton and 1tons come with 7 pin wiring already set up for trailer brakes. If youre hauling a bobcat you really ought to be running trailer brakes as well...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Your budget could get you a 2500 Ram Tradesman with the 6.4 hemi, 4wd and some options.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Best bang for buck work truck is a 2500HD Silverado with the 6.0.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
You towing regularly or just once in a blue moon. If your truck is gonna have a trailer hitched up more than 70% of the time get a 3/4 ton truck.

If you are towing that bobcat or mini excavator regularly get the diesel. If only once in a while or emergency only then gas is ok. I'd still tend towards diesel anyways for better MPG and resale. The trick is finding one that hasn't been molested and modded improperly
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn shame too.  The slush boxes in late 90s to mid 2000s 1/2 ton domestic pickups are junk.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I've owned nothing but trucks in my life.  

You don't need a diesel!  Diesels are the cool thing to do now...so you will pay a premium for it.  Don't jump on the bandwagon because some "bro" told you you need one.  Stick with a gasser and you can get a model much newer and with more options with the price difference.  

And unless you are towing the bobcat/ex more than once every few weeks, a newer 1/2 ton truck will be fine (I would suggest a 3/4 ton if they weigh over 6k, or if towing weekly or daily)
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Do you have the cash to maintain a modern diesel P/U?

How often will you tow a travel trailer/5th wheel? And what terrain would you be pulling a camper in?

Have kids yet? Will you take kids (future kids) in camping in the towable RV, with them in the tow vehicle?

Do you have the room/ability to store or house a small diesel tank?

Are thinking of buying a tow vehicle that can be a daily driver?

Are you thinking of buying a daily driver that can tow, but not concerned about towing really?

If I was buying a newer truck it would be a GM/GMC 2500 with 6.2 or Duramax. I miss my 06' CC/Dura/Allison

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you VERY MUCH to everyone who has responded.

I'd buy you all a round if I could.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#28]
This is the best advice here...

Quoted:
I've owned nothing but trucks in my life.  

You don't need a diesel!  Diesels are the cool thing to do now...so you will pay a premium for it.  Don't jump on the bandwagon because some "bro" told you you need one.  Stick with a gasser and you can get a model much newer and with more options with the price difference.  

And unless you are towing the bobcat/ex more than once every few weeks, a newer 1/2 ton truck will be fine (I would suggest a 3/4 ton if they weigh over 6k, or if towing weekly or daily)
View Quote

I personally have had 2 half ton fords recently, 2010 and then a 2014.

They both have been spectacular despite what others say, The Ecoboost screams. I have not pulled the skid with the 14 yet, but the old 5.4 in the 2010 pulled on beautifully. I would not hesitate to pull medium/heavy equipment with half ton trucks anymore. (I mean 4,000-8,000 lbs) Unless it is more than once weekly, I wouldn't consider a 3/4 ton.

Just my .2 cents
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Disregard the Diesel bros.

We tow with ours at the company EVERY DAY and they are still eating us out of house and home in continued never ending and ALWAYS expensive repairs. The gassers in our fleet go forever on nothing but neglect, overdue oil changes and ask for more.

Unless I was towing something straight up too heavy for a gas engine there's no way in hell I'd buy a modern diesel expecting to own it after the warranty expires. If you aren't bank enough to drop $8k on a fuel system at any point and not be hurt then a diesel is NOT for you
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We tow with ours at the company EVERY DAY and they are still eating us out of house and home in continued never ending and ALWAYS expensive repairs. The gassers in our fleet go forever on nothing but neglect, overdue oil changes and ask for more.

Unless I was towing something straight up too heavy for a gas engine there's no way in hell I'd buy a modern diesel expecting to own it after the warranty expires. If you aren't bank enough to drop $8k on a fuel system at any point and not be hurt then a diesel is NOT for you
View Quote

But a modern diesel with a good tune is so much fun to drive
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Diesels are really nice for towing really heavy shit.  

Our fully loaded race trailer weighed 15k.  The F350 with a Triton V10 would get 4mpg.  And it routinely ate transmissions

The 3500 Duramax got 11 mpg towing the same load, and we couldn't kill the Allison, no matter how hard we tried.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay guys,

I think I'm set for a F150 with an Ecoboost motor in the near future.  

I'm going to visit with a friend of a friend that makes a living wholesaling cars.  Hopefully I'll be able to find something that meets or beats my requirements.

I really appreciate all of you.  Thanks for the input and I think you helped me make a wise decision.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a GM guy, my 08 Sierra has 155k on it and the old Yukon I traded for the the Sierra had 280k on it when I traded it. No complaints out of me about GM trucks, and I will probably buy another one when the time comes.

That said, just about any new truck is going to last a long time if you maintain it. My good friend bought an 06 Ram new and has beat the living hell out of it. Like rev limiter every day and more time in the air than a 747. It looks like hell, but it still runs reliably. My old work truck was a 4.6L F150 that I used to tow a skid steer on a 5 ton trailer every day. It never broke either.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I was a diehard GM/GMC guy, until I had a GMT900 all wheel drive Denali for the last 4 years.

The drivetrain was ok, and I did like the grunty 6.2L. The electronics were awful. Worse than vehicles a generation or two older. The nav/radio and car bluetooth would randomly quit working. Sometimes the radio would freeze at full volume, and sometimes it would just never turn on. Other times, it would freeze on the nav screen. Still other times, it would missense the screen presses. The buttons alongside didn't do anything. I got random fatal errors on screen. The battery would randomly punk out just enough to forget all settings. It towed well and was comfortable, but I was quickly losing trust.

I traded it yesterday on a less used F150. So far, I'm happier in the Ford.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3.

Motor seems good, but the transmission is throwing a code and feels like it is slipping in 1st gear. The rear fenders are starting to rust from the inside out. The truck only has 80k on it.

I had a 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 and for some reason it felt like it was a much quicker truck. My 08 Silverado feels like a slug.

This will be my last GM truck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ah yes, about the towing.  Sorry for the lack of detail. I wanted to be able to haul things like a midsize to small travel trailer, a utility trailer (5' by 12') with lumber and concrete.. or a small bobcat or a mini-excavator on a trailer.  I may be asking too much for the bobcat/mini-excavator as those are usually delivered on big trucks.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ah yes, about the towing.  Sorry for the lack of detail. I wanted to be able to haul things like a midsize to small travel trailer, a utility trailer (5' by 12') with lumber and concrete.. or a small bobcat or a mini-excavator on a trailer.  I may be asking too much for the bobcat/mini-excavator as those are usually delivered on big trucks.  

Quoted:
You really wont go wrong with any of the big three. I would say if youll be hauling much get a 3/4 or 1ton, even if you dont think you will need it, it will be easier on the rig and things will last longer. As far as engine, again if youre going to be hauling much look into a diesel, again simply because its a meatier engine and powertrain so it wont be working as hard. Also with the new Cummins ISBs its possible to get a pickup into the high 20s for millage empty...

This. We bought 2 new dodge 1500s. We needed to tow and haul and a 1/2 ton was all we could afford. I researched and got weight distributing hitches (I'm the only person I know who actually uses these on flatbeds and cattle trailers). Even with a weight distributing hitch towing a 7,000lbs trailer is spooky. We ended up buying 2 '93 ford F250s at government surplus auctions for $2500 (diesel) and $1100 (5.8 gas) as our tow rigs. Night and day! You can forget you're towing with a 3/4 ton, where as towing with a 1/2 ton you'll be white knuckle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok. He'll never know the fun of getting 20 MPG in a 3/4 ton while having enough torque to pull a house down.

OP if you absolutely have to get a gas motor (sigh), go GM. The LS motors were kings of their time and the new 5th gen smalblocks seem pretty decent too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#38]
ive towed a fair amount w a 1/2 ton hemi.  No comparison to a 3/4 ton diesel.  

No matter the weight its sooo much easier.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top