Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 9:03:32 PM EDT
On the ride home from work this evening, listening to the XM radio, and all audio stopped in my 2015 Silverado. And by all audio, I mean ALL audio. The blinker sound wasn't even working (didn't know that sound was generated by the speakers).

I tried all audio modes, onstar, XM, CD, cycled power and nada, nothing, not a sound...not even chimes or bells or whistles. When I got home, I turned off the truck, got out, locked the doors, unlocked then restarted thinking that might reset some type of logic. Still nothing. Control panel was still powered and working as if nothing was wrong...just no sound.

Any ideas? I looked through the manual but there's really not troubleshooting steps to try. I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow, still under warranty...only had it 3 months.

Cheers

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the Bose system?  If so, see if there may be a fuse for the Bose amp....Idk...I haven't any problems out of my Sierra
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming it has steering wheel controls for audio system. Maybe you inadvertently triggered a mute button. Seen a few that look like a phone receiver with a slash through it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm assuming it has steering wheel controls for audio system. Maybe you inadvertently triggered a mute button. Seen a few that look like a phone receiver with a slash through it.

View Quote
It does...checked that and it wasn't muted. Even when I do mute it normally, the blinker sounds still occurs...it doesn't now.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a 15'. Take it to the dealer
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
+10000000

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+10000000  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+10000000  
I am calling the dealer today. However, it would be nice to not have to take up precious time driving there, sitting in the service waiting area, leaving it over night.  If there was a simple thing i was overlooking or hadn't thought about, I could avoid all that.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll assume you checked fuses...however, I'm not aware of a fuse for sound...should control the unit which is "on" without audio.
The amp was mentioned above so I'd check that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
So, I went to crank it up this AM and everything was working fine. All audio returned to normal, including blinker sounds. I ran it several different times throughout the day without any issue.

The mystery continues.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, I went to crank it up this AM and everything was working fine. All audio returned to normal, including blinker sounds. I ran it several different times throughout the day without any issue.

The mystery continues.

View Quote

Just a guess, but maybe it overheated and a thermal protection circuit kicked in, and when it was cool reset?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a guess, but maybe it overheated and a thermal protection circuit kicked in, and when it was cool reset?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The mystery continues.

Could be, but it wasn't that hot that day...upper 80s. I had only been driving it about 5 minutes when it cut out.

If that's the case, I need to get that part replaced, because it'll be cutting out a lot more as the summer heats up.

Another issue I just remembered is that about a month ago, I jumped in, cranked it up and the temp display on the climate control was in Celsius. Everything else was still in English system (speed, mileage). When i restarted it was back to Fahrenheit.

Strange electric gremlins running around.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Pulling fuses or power resets the audio system, but DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!! The problem is the SOFTWARE in the audio system, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT REPROGRAMED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!

The reprogram takes over an hour with a mix of the GM software website, the scan tool and memory stick. Make an appointment to get it reprogramed, it will not cost you anything. There is a GM TSB on the software in the audio system.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pulling fuses or power resets the audio system, but DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!! The problem is the SOFTWARE in the audio system, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT REPROGRAMED UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!

The reprogram takes over an hour with a mix of the GM software website, the scan tool and memory stick. Make an appointment to get it reprogramed, it will not cost you anything. There is a GM TSB on the software in the audio system.

View Quote
Copy all on that. I'm taking some leave in the next few weeks and I'll take it in for reprogramming.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Copy all on that. I'm taking some leave in the next few weeks and I'll take it in for reprogramming.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Most of the time the re programing fixes it, have had a few I've had to put the 'radio' it self in (not the screen you see). Sometimes some dealers don't want to do the reprograming GM pays like .4 to reprogram and IF everything goes right it takes at least a bit over an hour, if you don't need to call GM for a 'patch' in the program.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Check the cab grounds.

My parents had an 03 chevy and the gauges and radio lights would all go funny all of a sudden. 2 trips to the dealer it didn't get fixed, my dad brought it back home to take it to another and thought he should spend a few minutes looking at it. He saw the main ground cable to the cab was never tightended from the factory. Had the nut just wasn't snugged.

The truck was maybe 5 months old at the time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The fuse that controls the audio in my '09 Sierra also controls the blinker sounds.  Seems odd that yours would not work, then work.  Maybe a loose socket?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The fuse that controls the audio in my '09 Sierra also controls the blinker sounds.  Seems odd that yours would not work, then work.  Maybe a loose socket?
View Quote

The '09 and the '14/'15's are two completely different animals. The GMT 900's used mostly a plug and play radio that is all in one piece. The '14 on up the radio, screen, HVAC and Onstar all work together. The radio module does not have a screen, the screen is shared by all 3 above modules.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am calling the dealer today. However, it would be nice to not have to take up precious time driving there, sitting in the service waiting area, leaving it over night.  If there was a simple thing i was overlooking or hadn't thought about, I could avoid all that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+10000000  

It's a Silverado, may as well get used to it.

Kidding, kidding.........but I would be pissed off if that was my new truck. Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck. I know they revamped things for the new generation. However, the wonky electrics on my 2011 Sierra included the same symptoms, mostly arising after it was out of full warranty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I know this thread hasn't been replied to recently, but this JUST happened to me on Friday. Got my complete wiring harness replaced last week at the dealership in my 2009 Sierra. Picked it up Thursday morning, worked fine to and from work. Friday morning everything was fine. Coming home from work on Friday I go to get in and the auto start didn't work, so i unlocked the doors, started it up, and everything worked fine EXCEPT the sound, including the blinker sounds. Go to start it Saturday morning and NOTHING was working, wouldn't start, wouldn't do anything. I check under the hood, and while it was on, the power cable to the battery was not tightened down. Tightened it, made sure the ground was tight, and now everything is working just fine.

I'm thinking you have a loose nut somewhere....
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Oddly enough, the same thing happened to me recently on a rental Cruze. Lost all the audio while driving.

I let the rental agency know when I dropped it off and they said "Meh, happens all the time".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top