Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 1:10:06 PM EDT
I'm sure for a long time BFG kinda held the title for A/T tires but there are a lot of options these days. What are you guys running now? About to get new tires for my truck, and frankly, I'm tossed
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Goodyear tank tracks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure for a long time BFG kinda held the title for A/T tires but there are a lot of options these days. What are you guys running now? About to get new tires for my truck, and frankly, I'm tossed
View Quote

Just bought some tires for the Scout today.

BFG were high on the list, simply because they are "appropriate" to the vehicle and the era.   They priced themselves right the fuck out of my wallet though.   General Grabber AT2 are a nearly identical tire, sometimes even reported to wear better, at a lower price.  The only thing you don't get is the BFG lettering on the side.   That's what I went with.

For my daily driver Nissan Frontier, the Cooper Discoverer is the best all terrain light truck tire going, bar none.    Get some.  You'll thank me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BFG were high on the list, simply because they are "appropriate" to the vehicle and the era.   They priced themselves right the fuck out of my wallet though.   General Grabber AT2 are a nearly identical tire, sometimes even reported to wear better, at a lower price.  The only thing you don't get is the BFG lettering on the side.   That's what I went with.

For my daily driver Nissan Frontier, the Cooper Discoverer is the best all terrain light truck tire going, bar none.    Get some.  You'll thank me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah those are on my short list. Saw some Firestone Destination AT's today on a Tacoma that looked pretty good but haven't researched Firestone's reputation these days so not sure where they're priced or how good they are.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
On my current truck I've used:

Nitto Terra Grappler

Cooper Discoverer AT3

Toyo Adventurer (current)

The Toyo's are wearing the best, and have the best treadwear rating.

The Nittos were nice, but didn't last.

The Coopers had the best traction - wet pavement, dry pavement, mud, sand, etc.)  I will probably get another set when the Toyo's wear out.

I've had BFG's, and the wet pavement traction deteriorated too fast.  Otherwise, they were a good tire - if a bit noisy.)

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Terra grapplers on 14 trucks right now
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah those are on my short list. Saw some Firestone Destination AT's today on a Tacoma that looked pretty good but haven't researched Firestone's reputation these days so not sure where they're priced or how good they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had the Destination AT's on an XJ - good all around AT tire, the only thing I didn't like was the lack of a third sidewall ply.  I've got Falken Wild Peak's on my FJ80 - good on & off road, but the compound is too soft for longevity. The Bridgestone Duelers on our JK have held up surprisingly well - but the tread pattern is too tight & shallow for slick/soupy mud. I may go Goodyear MT/R Kevlars or BFG KM2's on the Yote, but will probably go slightly less off-road biased on the Jeep. Maybe the Cooper STMAXX, MT ATP3, or another of the "hybrid" agressive AT patterns. Cooper has a brand new tire about to drop - the STT PRO. It looks like a cross between the KM2, and the ATP3 - I know you're looking at more of an AT - but I really want to see the new Coopers up close.

Completely agree with BFG's riding their reputation to the bank though... They charge a premium for the name - if I ever buy some new, it'll be when they're running one of their rebate deals.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Cannot be beat.  Excellent tires.  i would have paid double what I did for them after having bad experiences with Cooper and BF Goodrich
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Toyo RT's
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm running the Cooper ATPs carried by Discount Tire on my '98 K1500.  No complaints, but haven't seen a winter yet...should be fine, but we'll see...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got the Cooper AT3's about a month ago and love them so far, they have been outstanding in all the heavy rain we've been getting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Goodyear DuraTracs, I have almost 70K on mine, and  still have tread left to go. Very good snow tire.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Goodyear DuraTracs, I have almost 70K on mine, and  still have tread left to go. Very good snow tire.
View Quote

I wanted these, but they we +$27/tire...and Cooper was running a $70 rebate for a set at the time....
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on the Tundra 4x4 and Cooper Discoverer ATP's on the Expedition. I'm satisfied with both of them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Hankook Dynapro ATM for my Disco. Got 40k so far and probably another 10k of life left. Low road noise and their highway manners are excellent. Great wet road trip and good stuff in the snow. As with most ATs, sloggy mud can be problematic.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The answer you seek is ATKO2.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I liked the Toyo AT2s I had on my Duramax before I traded it in.  Thinking about getting another set on the new Duramax.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Vote for Destination A/T. Have had 2 sets on my old Tacoma...good tires, especially in snow
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Cooper Zeon LTZ

They're at least $100 cheaper than nittos and BFGs and work really really well for me. Plus they have a really good tread life.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Toyo open country AT II or discovery AT3
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooper at3 or atp
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cooper Zeon LTZ

They're at least $100 cheaper than nittos and BFGs and work really really well for me. Plus they have a really good tread life.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/Stangfan93/Mobile%20Uploads/8ECEBCC5-5313-4E21-86E9-4FDA154334B5_zpsraluxtpk.png
View Quote

Low profile offroad tires are... let's go with brotastic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Toyo muds currently

Holding up pretty well
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
How are you planning to use them? What vehicle?

BFG AT KOs were great 20ish years ago, and they are hard as shit, so they last forever, but they are total crap in every other comparison to pretty much every other modern offering.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Toyo A/T2's

Amazing tire in the snow, dirt, dry/wet pavement...haven't had them in mud yet.  I have 18k miles on my set (3/4 ton truck), and they are wearing extremely well.  They are just past the initial 2/32 initial wear layer.  LT's have a 50k treadlife warranty.  P-series have a 65k warranty iirc...

BFG's suck.  They are old technology that is only surviving on their name and nostalgia...

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I would go with the Toyo A/T

Had Goodyear Wranglers lasted about 35k, Bridgestone Revo AT lasted about 40K they were bald

Bought a cheap set of Toyo on CL only expecting them to last a year, they lasted 2 years. So I bought a new set have 40k on them now, still look new

Toyo is the only AT tire with a mileage warranty
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The cooper AT3 has a 55 or 60k warranty also
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Cooper ATP3

I have 60,000mi on them and can probably get another 25k.

They handle great in all of Michigan's nastiness.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]
They aren't very agggressive, but I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2's. The first set wore out at 75,000 miles. I have 30,000 on the second set and they look great.

This is on a CCSB Duramax. If this second set lasts as well as the first, I don't think I'll ever buy a different light truck tire ever again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

BFG AT KOs were great 20ish years ago, and they are hard as shit, so they last forever, but they are total crap in every other comparison to pretty much every other modern offering.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truck is a 2005 Tundra Limited 2wd. Won't be using it for any hardcore off-roading, but would like them to handle more than wet grass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've run Nitto Terra Grapplers on everything I've owned in the past five years. Three different vehicles. Five sets. Never been disappointed or managed to get stuck. And I'm off road probably 30% of my driving. Mud, gravel, snow, slop...they handle everything I've thrown at them. And no I don't work for Nitto, but maybe I should.

ETA: I've got about 40k miles on the current set and they are still at 8/10ths and GTG in the mud.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Goodyear Duratracs.  Quiet, aggressive, and last forever.  Worth the $ in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got some hankook dynapro ATM

the reviews were good and the price was right @ $730 out the door mounted and balanced.

hope they hold up decent
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've run Nitto Terra Grapplers on everything I've owned in the past five years. Three different vehicles. Five sets. Never been disappointed or managed to get stuck. And I'm off road probably 30% of my driving. Mud, gravel, snow, slop...they handle everything I've thrown at them. And no I don't work for Nitto, but maybe I should.

ETA: I've got about 40k miles on the current set and they are still at 8/10ths and GTG in the mud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same, except I'm pushing 70k on a 1/2 ton 4wd. They're not as great in the rain as they were when they were newer, but then again they're (finally) getting close to the wear bars. I am extremely impressed with them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll be the dissenting voice here and say that Terra Grapplers are horrible, terrible tires.   I sold lots of these back in 06-07 and we had many, many people complain about their poor traction... I personally had them on my Duramax, they wear like butter on a heavy truck. Even if your truck doesn't end up wearing them out by 20k miles, you'll have to deal with their absolutely horrible wet weather and mud traction, my dad's 1500 series has a set on them and they don't bite for shit.

BFG's vibe a little, and they will sing you the song of their people around 8/32, but at least they'll clean themselves out with a bit more pedal input, aren't horrible in the snow, the TG's just slick over the moment they hit anything that's not a hot, dry road and leave you boned.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#37]
BFG AT TA KO
I hate flats and getting stuck so any new tire is going to have to be a third
the price and come with some great testimonials to even try them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Nexen Roadian AT II. Got em at Walmart for $600 for 4 in 30x9.50

I've had Goodyear wranglers that didn't last long. The Toyos lasted a long time but they wondered a lot. These Korean tires seem to be wearing good and have great traction in everything but wet pavement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top