User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2015 9:05:49 PM EDT
SO I am shopping for a new truck.  My potential picks are below:

2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Double Cab  5.7l
2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 Double Cab 5.3l
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l
2015 Ford F150 Super Cab 5.0l

They are all relatively the same price.  The Dodge and Ford are a wee bit higher.  I have been leaning toward the Tundra since I have had one for 12 years.  However I have been reading about many problems with their new flex fuel models with ECU reading wrong alcohol levels.  I also noticed many reviews about Dodge transmission problems with the new ones.  I know the age old Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge and they all hate Toyota thing so don't bother.  I want to hear real world examples from some of you 2014-15 owners out there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my '13 Scab f150 with the 5.0. Went through a decent winter with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly I would go for the Tundra, just avoid the flex model. The tundra gets not so great fuel economy as it is but e85 is even worse in every vehicle.

I test drove the quad cab models of each this winter and I liked the tundra the best out of them. Fit/finish were better than the other three, and I just preferred the way it drove and felt and handled.

Are you talking about the TRD Pro model or just the TRD off road package? If the add-on, are you looking at the SR5 or the Limited?If you do not plan on lifting it, then I would say take a real good look at the TRDPro model, the Pro suspension is worlds better than the other models, but if you plan on lifting it then I'd stick with the SR-5 TRD4x4 package, and add your preferred lift of choice(Toytec is pretty legendary for Toyota lifts)
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Best I can say is to pick the one you like the best. You can get a thousand opinions but that's all you can get.

I love my 2014 f150 and I'd do it again but I wouldn't have a problem with any of the other brands either. But I like the f150 the best.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would only go with the F150 or the Tundra.  

I love Toyotas but recently bought a F150 and really like it.

Dodge auto transmissions are shit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the Chevy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Tundra
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in your shoes a few months ago.

After extensive research I went with the Tundra due to resale and reliability and the fact that my 1997 4Runner with 200k miles did not really give me any headaches over the years, never left me stranded, only non-maintenance items replaced was the starter and power steering line(salt corrosion).  At my time of purchase, Toyota was offering 0 percent APR.

Price wise, for me, the Tundra with similiar options were slightly lower in price vs the big 3.

I've owned Chevy 1990s products in the past in the form of Tahoe and Suburban.  Both vehicles had close to 200k miles before I got rid of them.  For the 50-60k miles that I had them, I went through fuel pumps, radiators, top ends, AC Compressors...  The worst part, these two SUVs were rattling and loose, unlike the Toy products.

Since your are up in Michigan, don't get a Flex Fuel vehicle.  I read on TT that only people in the Gulf states have a difficulty getting a non-FFV.  Besides, if you plan on putting a TRD supercharger on it, you can't with the FFV engine.

I've had her for 2 months now, the only complain I have is the sound system(Entune).

Keep in mind that the Tundras are built in San Antonio, Texas.  

Whereas the Chevy/Ford are made/sourced in Mexico/Canada??

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Silverado. Always had excellent reliability with them. my 90 has 328k. Had original ball joints replaced at 310k. It's a 4x4 too. Dad has an 08 Silverado 2500. 128k. Had an exhaust manifold bolt fail. Under warranty. No reliability issues at all and it is no stranger to trailers. Company duramax has been a good truck too with over 120k. Had a component go out in the fuel system and that was the biggest issue. We had a guy that worked for us with a old Silverado. Two nasty wrecks. Still running / driving.  

I'd be afraid of an Eco boost going eco bust.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Im a dodge guy.  Before i bought my ram 2500 diesel i had a 2012 1/2 ton hemi.  Great truck.

I have never, ever, in driving dodge trucks for over 16yrs had a problem w/ a tranny.

I like all 3 of the new model trucks, sorry toyota, im not a fan.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are all relatively the same price.  The Dodge and Ford are a wee bit higher.  I have been leaning toward the Tundra since I have had one for 12 years.  However I have been reading about many problems with their new flex fuel models with ECU reading wrong alcohol levels.  I also noticed many reviews about Dodge transmission problems with the new ones.  I know the age old Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge and they all hate Toyota thing so don't bother.  I want to hear real world examples from some of you 2014-15 owners out there.
View Quote

While the Tundra may be the most reliable vehicle on that list, it is significantly behind its competition.  Compared to the Ford which is currently the best truck in its class, but isn't likely to be as reliable as the tundra.  So really it comes down to whether you want the f150 which is the best truck available with somewhat worse reliability than the toyota, or do you want to play it safe and get the most reliable truck, but deal with all the other shortcomings of the Tundra.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-silverado-vs-2015-ford-f-150-2015-ram-1500-2014-toyota-tundra-comparison-test
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose the Tundra TRD Pro.  in Inferno.

Taking it to Moab on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While the Tundra may be the most reliable vehicle on that list, it is significantly behind its competition.  Compared to the Ford which is currently the best truck in its class, but isn't likely to be as reliable as the tundra.  So really it comes down to whether you want the f150 which is the best truck available with somewhat worse reliability than the toyota, or do you want to play it safe and get the most reliable truck, but deal with all the other shortcomings of the Tundra.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-silverado-vs-2015-ford-f-150-2015-ram-1500-2014-toyota-tundra-comparison-test
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust a single thing I read on C&D. They are so blatently biased on every single review they do that it boarders on the insane.

In all honesty, the trucks these days are so close in specs/ability when similarly equipped that you may as well just do a test a test drive and pick then pick the one that you like the best.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
F150

I know several people with newer models and they love them.  

Quoted:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/bmwguy2007/tundranfab_zpsidmkuky9.jpg
View Quote

And the profits from Toyota go right back to Japan.  They put up a factory here to get people like you to think that they are a US company...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03/what-percentage-of-your-truck-is-made-in-america.html

For 2014:

3-way tie between F150, Tundra, and Ridgeline (not a truck)
Engines and transmissions are sourced in the US, and final assembly is here in the US

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust a single thing I read on C&D. They are so blatently biased on every single review they do that it boarders on the insane.

In all honesty, the trucks these days are so close in specs/ability when similarly equipped that you may as well just do a test a test drive and pick then pick the one that you like the best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If C/D is no good then what is left?  All the other magazines/auto media are mediocre.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was in your shoes a few months ago.

After extensive research I went with the Tundra due to resale and reliability and the fact that my 1997 4Runner with 200k miles did not really give me any headaches over the years, never left me stranded, only non-maintenance items replaced was the starter and power steering line(salt corrosion).  At my time of purchase, Toyota was offering 0 percent APR.

Price wise, for me, the Tundra with similiar options were slightly lower in price vs the big 3.

I've owned Chevy 1990s products in the past in the form of Tahoe and Suburban.  Both vehicles had close to 200k miles before I got rid of them.  For the 50-60k miles that I had them, I went through fuel pumps, radiators, top ends, AC Compressors...  The worst part, these two SUVs were rattling and loose, unlike the Toy products.

Since your are up in Michigan, don't get a Flex Fuel vehicle.  I read on TT that only people in the Gulf states have a difficulty getting a non-FFV.  Besides, if you plan on putting a TRD supercharger on it, you can't with the FFV engine.

I've had her for 2 months now, the only complain I have is the sound system(Entune).

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/bmwguy2007/tundranfab_zpsidmkuky9.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking truck.  I took one home the other night and loved it.  I cant seem to find a non-ffv model in the whole midwest.  The Silverado intrigues me for some reason.  I have worked a deal for around $400 under invoice.  The ffv thing just bugs the shit out of me on the Tundra.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tundra
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#17]
For those that own newer Tundras, do you own the flex fuel model?  If so, have you had any problems and what is you mileage like?

BTW-The TRD Pro looks to be all that but I dont like the color choices.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice looking truck.  I took one home the other night and loved it.  I cant seem to find a non-ffv model in the whole midwest.  The Silverado intrigues me for some reason.  I have worked a deal for around $400 under invoice.  The ffv thing just bugs the shit out of me on the Tundra.
View Quote

Don't forget...there are two invoices.  The real one, and the one they show you.  They will never show you the real one...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Had an old auto tech instructor tell me that if it doesn't have solid axles, it ain't a 4x4.

You didn't list any 4x4's
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Had an old auto tech instructor tell me that if it doesn't have solid axles, it ain't a 4x4.

You didn't list any 4x4's
View Quote

Key word.. old...

I'd be looking at the ford and chevy.. And I'm not even a ford guy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Tundra.  Toyota all the way for build quality.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Owned a 2010 Silverado (bought new) and a 2012 Ram (new). Shopped, priced and drove every new 1/2 ton except the Nissan, last month.

My '15 F-150 5.0 Supercrew is nice :)

The chevy looks and interior turned me off. The Toyota seemed average and unexciting, the Ram is still a nice truck, but the New style all aluminum body F-150 beat them all in my book.

ETA: FUUU the rotary transmission "shifter" knob in the Ram. Wierd, just wierd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top