Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2015 8:44:41 AM EDT
2004 Corolla with 255,000 miles on it. I'm getting the code for cylinder 2 misfire, a P0302. The CEL came on last week and I thought the easiest answer was to change the spark plugs, so I changed them all. Well, yesterday the CEL came on and I got the same code. The next thing I can think of is a coil has gone bad. I guess I could switch the #2 with the #3, and see if a code for Cyl. 3 misfire. There aren't any other codes popping up. Last year I got the code for too lean, which was the P10170 (I think), so I changed the intake gasket, and the fact that I'm only getting the P0302 leads me to just focus on that one cylinder.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Ignition coil would be the first thing I check.  Take a look at the plug boots and make sure they aren't cracked or worn.  Same with plug wires.

Rough idle after replacing and it could be crank/cam position sensor?

ETA: I chased the same problem recently on a jeep I6.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I only notice it stumbling right at start up. If I let it run for a minute, it runs fine. I can pull the boot while its running and it will stumble. The code always comes on after cranking it up. I need to check and see if there is any oil on the boot too. I didn't notice it last time. Could be a bad valve cover gasket too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

I replaced my coil and the cel cleared for 30 minutes.  Pulled my boots and wires...No problem there.

I'd just put in New plugs 15k miles ago so I figured they were fine.

Had a buddy run a compression test, came back at 130 per cylinder so I knew that was good (valves, rings, gaskets).

Come to find out, plug #1 was borked.  Tiny crack that caused some arcing.  Now running fine.

I bring up the cam and crank sensors b/c they created a similar issue as above for me.  Took an entire day just to track that one down.

Good luck man.  I hate electrical problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If it only runs like crap on initial start up after a long soak, you may have an injector leaking and flooding/fouling the plug on that cylinder. After it starts, it clears out the excess fuel and all is fine until the next morning.
PS: Toyota injectors are very reliable but anything is possible with a car.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I switch coils #1 and #2, thinking if it was a bad coil then I would get a Cyl #1 misfire now. I didn't. After resetting the CEL, I'm still getting a #2 misfire. I checked the injectors by manually pulling the electrical connections to see if the idle stumbled, and it did on all 4 cylinders. Then I check the ohms of the injectors, and they were all the same. So I can't figure out what is causing the misfire. I guess I'll check the compression and see if I have bad valves or something.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
With that many miles, the injector on #2 may be firing, but the spray pattern could be bad/partial if it's failing. If it's cheap, I'd pick up a new injector, and/or swap injectors from another cylinder and see if the misfire moves.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll give that a shot
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Any luck?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Bad head gasket
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad head gasket
View Quote

sorry to hear that man.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top