Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2015 4:24:16 PM EDT
I just started having a problem the vehicle is a 2006 F350 I have noticed that the pick up on my truck has gotten worse. I did over the winter just get a new ERG cooler and oil pan. Not sure what the problem is. Also might add it also seems that it takes a little more to get into the next gear.

Anyone have any advice could it be the fuel filter? Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Any abnormal smoke. My dad has a 06 f350 farm truck. It started running like crap this fall and would smoke heavy cold(truck only had 77,000mi). No lie we tried the hot shots secret oil and fuel treatment. It runs much better now. I think the FICM is still probably shot from running dying batteries but it is much better than where it was.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
6.0?

Do the filter but I suspect a coked up turbo.

Eta. How bad was the egr cooler? I just replaced two cats that were damaged by blown egr coolers dumping coolant into the exhaust. Another spot to c check would be the egr valve. Usually a sick valve will cause a harder start issue as well
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much help but whenever I have an issue or something with my 7.3 I google "whatever the problem is 7.3" and it usually takes me to a bunch of I depth threads on ford truck and diesel forums.

Thedieselstop.com is particularly helpful
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Need more info.

Any codes?

When was the last time you've done fuel and air filters?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I just started having a problem the vehicle is a 2006 F350 I have noticed that the pick up on my truck has gotten worse. I did over the winter just get a new ERG cooler and oil pan. Not sure what the problem is. Also might add it also seems that it takes a little more to get into the next gear.

View Quote

That was your first mistake.

Should have done the EGR delete and studs and called it good.  

Did they at least clean out the oil cooler when putting in the new EGR cooler?  How about a coolant filter, have one?  Have you switched over from the crappy Ford Gold coolant to CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant?  All these need to be done or your just pissing in the wind with the new EGR cooler, it will go just like the old one.

Here's a bunch of other ideas to implement:  http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=13/mode=cat/cat13.htm

Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did they at least clean out the oil cooler when putting in the new EGR cooler?  How about a coolant filter, have one?  Have you switched over from the crappy Ford Gold coolant to CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant?  All these need to be done or your just pissing in the wind with the new EGR cooler, it will go just like the old one.

Here's a bunch of other ideas to implement:  http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=13/mode=cat/cat13.htm

Good luck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

They replaced the oil cooler with the EGR. Would have done the delete but truck just stopped working had it towed in and thats what they said the problem was I did not have time to fix it.

I have no smoke it is a 6.0

Edit to add more : I'm not throwing any codes at all. I might do that back flush from what you all said and I read it just sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#7]
ipcm?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They replaced the oil cooler with the EGR. Would have done the delete but truck just stopped working had it towed in and thats what they said the problem was I did not have time to fix it.

Edit to add more : I'm not throwing any codes at all. I might do that back flush from what you all said and I read it just sounds like a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

I was going to switch to this fluid for my truck (ended up not because my water pump was fine), best deal I could find basically.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J65ILO2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=4T0ZQ8EYSFM4&coliid=I323H28YF3RPIV

Read this. Keep in mind its step by step for 7.3 but good info and shouldn't be too different for your 6.0

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Something else I noticed today after I started the truck up I left the drive way pulled on to the road and hit the gas petel all the way down to the floor and the truck would not go faster then 20 mph and it did not even sound like I just floored it.

Think when it stops raining going to back wash and change the fuel filter and see if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a clogged cat. Take the exhaust loose at the front of the cat and see if its plugged up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like a clogged cat. Take the exhaust loose at the front of the cat and see if its plugged up.
View Quote

Know anyway to take care of this problem? Might add that it gets better after driving a little. Not sure if it helps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If that ends up being your problem you can do a delete pipe or gut the factory one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Know anyway to take care of this problem? Might add that it gets better after driving a little. Not sure if it helps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The best $45 I ever spent was getting a "test" pipe to replace the cat on my 6.0.  The 2nd best $45 was having the muffler replaced with straight pipe.

Get rid of both, your engine and exhaust will thank you.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The best $45 I ever spent was getting a "test" pipe to replace the cat on my 6.0.  The 2nd best $45 was having the muffler replaced with straight pipe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you go about doing that?

Also got the front part of the cat lose took for ever and a few bottles of WD-40 to lossen all the rust. I could not see down it but emptied half a bottle of heavy engine degreaser down the pipe helped a lot. Now if I could get the other end of the cat that the clamp is on I'd take it off and spray a few bottles down it.

Funny I was told by some one to drill a hole in the cat and fill with cooking oil and burn the guts out of the cat.

Sorry guys just learning about fixing my own diesel and doing stuff like this so if I ask dumb things you know why. I'm trying to take care of these problems more on my own and not have to take it into a shop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
He's talking about one of these.

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/diamond-eye-3-5-t409-stainless-cat-oem-offroad-pipe/
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Also got the front part of the cat lose took for ever and a few bottles of WD-40 to lossen all the rust. I could not see down it but emptied half a bottle of heavy engine degreaser down the pipe helped a lot. Now if I could get the other end of the cat that the clamp is on I'd take it off and spray a few bottles down it.

Funny I was told by some one to drill a hole in the cat and fill with cooking oil and burn the guts out of the cat.

Sorry guys just learning about fixing my own diesel and doing stuff like this so if I ask dumb things you know why. I'm trying to take care of these problems more on my own and not have to take it into a shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I took it to the local exhaust shop and had them do the work.  The kitty one day, the muffler the next.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]

I don't if it was that make, but yes.  It was provided by the muffler shop, apparently it left over since the only charge was $45 for the whole thing.

I still have the kitty btw, after all these years.  Have no idea why kept it.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Does the truck have a EBPV? I know on the 7.3's if the EBPV malfunctions it can cause similar issues a lot of people just disconnect it and wire it open.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does the truck have a EBPV? I know on the 7.3's if the EBPV malfunctions it can cause similar issues a lot of people just disconnect it and wire it open.

View Quote

I'm not sure I'll have to check on that.

Have noticed also when I first start it and hit the gas and it speeds up when I take my foot off the gas it will make a weird glug glug sound that sounds like its coming from under the hood.

I did notice that spraying now a few more bottles of heavy degreaser and brake cleaning fluid has really helped still thinking of the delete kit.

Edited to add: Got what the nosie sounds best like its more of like when you jump on a a diving board sound thunk thunk sound not sure what it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top