Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 12:07:42 PM EDT
I just did a head gasket change on a 1.8L Passat engine and want to make sure everything was done right in it. Already ordered a new timing belt as well but hasn't arrived yet. Can I test the engine's compression with a compression tester by cranking it even without a timing belt installed? The camshafts are also off right now as well so all the valves are closed and I've already turned the crankshaft by hand with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How is it going to get air in it to compress?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A leakdown tester is what you need for that situation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
you would have to know where the piston is and open the valve at the bottom of the stroke to get air in. either valve will do.
The only catch is figuring out where the crank is since you don't have valves to figure it out.
since you don't have a cam in, you don't have to worry about hitting anything.
or the compression tester should also have a valve to open it to atmo so you should be good too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A leakdown tester is what you need for that situation.
View Quote

Truth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top