Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 10:38:10 PM EDT
So now that my wife has a much more reliable and safe car, I am getting a wild hair and have started thinking about selling my 2012 4runner and getting an International Scout.

It would be my DD, so I wouldn't be looking for a show ready example, but how are they reliability wise? How hard are they to work on? Im just starting to think about this so I'm still in the research phase, but I have always wanted one and now we are in a better position for me to make it happen, and I'm getting excited.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There are too many variables to answer your question honestly. If you get a well maintained example, it could be as simple as checking oil at every fill up and the usual maintenance involved with carbureted vehicles.
Unfortunately, you are more likely to run across an example that needs extensive work to get caught up on years of neglect.
I would recommend looking for a clean restomod that has an LS swap. Fuel injection is better than carbs in every possible way.
Also be prepared for every trip to potentially be an adventure. Carry a full set of hand tools, extra belts, plugs, wires, hoses, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
They are simple to work on and if properly maintained/refurbished the drivetrain is rock solid.
The bodies were very rust prone though. My dad always said the body would rot away before the engine gave out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#3]
keep the 4runner.  At least until you work out all of the kinks.  Even then you'll be working on it and then need to drive to the parts store.  Then the store will tell you that they don't have that part but they'll get it for you in 2 days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#4]
A 35+ year old daily driver? Make sure you get a little cheap beater car too....you'll need a backup.

Other than the age scouts are good rigs mechanically, they rust worse than old chevys though and jeep guys love stealing the axles so finding one may be a bit difficult.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Price aside(which I think is pretty high from the others I've found so far), this one is absolutely amazing. Told the wife I may have to sell a kidney to afford it though, lol.

Click here
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
A vehicle that has been out of production for 35 years is not a DD candidate.
Even when the were still being produced parts were hard to obtain.
Mostly everything had to be ordered as very little were stocked items.
As a toy it would be fun
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My ex uncle in law used to own one . It is easy to work on , built like a tank , they rust , no ac in his , go anywhere offroad. His was a 73 all manual v8 had skid plates that you could jack the truck up on. Had factory limited slips in both ends and would damn near snatch the wheel out of your hand if you were not careful. . The problem is it is way obsolete and very niche market .
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Build the 4runner instead
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Do it OP!

But don't sell the 4Runner, because you'll need a backup rig and something to run to the parts store.  I've been working on mine for a few months now to be a fair weather daily driver and weekend ride.  

Mechanically, they're easy to work on (IH/Dana/AMC parts) - that being said, try to find a recent restoration or one with minimal body rust (you can see the rust bubble on mine), otherwise you'll get a crash course in cutting/welding to repair the rusted out sheet metal around the floors and tub.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Plenty of people daily drive old vehicles. They will be just as dependable as a 10 year old beater, provided they are well maintained.
It is a good idea to get a AAA membership though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I would never trade my 4Runner as a DD for a Scout.

I would take on a Scout as a project car and occasional driver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top