Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 8:16:29 AM EDT
I have experience with Miatas but none with Minis.  Which handles better?  Which is the better all-around vehicle...which may be just personal preference.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Miata. Way easier to live with and cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Miata handles better for sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Miata, the MINI was a great idea that got much too bloated in development; trying to be all things to all people.
The Miata has retained it's "Japanese Lotus Elan" flavor and although criticized for being small and cramped compares quite well with the cars it was modeled after.
Lotus Elan
Wheelbase 84.0 in (2,134 mm)
Length 145.0 in (3,683 mm)
Width 56.0 in (1,422 mm)
Height 45.5 in (1,156 mm)
Curb weight 1,516.8 lb (688 kg)

Fiat 124 Spider
Wheelbase 89.75 in (2,280 mm)
Length 156.25 in (3,969 mm)
Width 63.5 in (1,613 mm)
Height 49.25 in (1,251 mm)

Mazda Miata *Gen III*
Wheelbase 2,329.18 mm (91.7 in)
Length 4,000–4,020 mm (157.5–158.3 in)
Width 1,720 mm (67.7 in)
Height 1,240–1,255 mm (48.8–49.4 in)
Curb weight 1,110–1,153 kg (2,447–2,542 lb)
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like miata is the winner all around.  However I'm guessing the mini would blow it away in a drag race.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like miata is the winner all around.  However I'm guessing the mini would blow it away in a drag race.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

They are about the same (Cooper S compared to NC).

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Oh ok.  I always thought the mini had a larger engine.   Then again I'm basing that off of how fast they looked in "the Italian job".

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Mini S would blow away a Miata in a drag race. Except when the Mini is riding a rollback to the stealership.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mini S would blow away a Miata in a drag race. Except when the Mini is riding a rollback to the stealership.
View Quote

That remains to be seen considering how light the new miata is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you compare the two, you'll find they're similar, depending on trim level.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I would think the Miata would be more fun just by virtue of being RWD . I know rwd is more fun
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
When I sat in a Miata, my line of sight goes right thru the sun visor.  The top has to be down or my head hits the roof.  In order to avoid these conditions, I had to lay the seat so far back it ws not appropriate for driving.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I suspect my MINI is more comfortable, and it certainly can carry far more stuff. It handles like a wet dream and is very quick off the line.

But.

The Miata is far sexier, and in convertible form would be oh so much fun to drive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]
They're different cars.

The mini is more practical, but in trade you sit much higher, have wrong wheel drive, and have a significant amount more weight ahead of the wheels and above the ideal center of gravity. Not saying it's bad in these areas, it just wasn't purpose built as a sports cars, it's a well sprung econobox.

The miata is probably slower in a straight line, because it's supposed to be. The purpose of the miata is to give you the ability to fling your car into a turn at maximum attack at 40 mph and nail the gas to get the back to ever so slightly come around. When you add more power it makes the car less stable, and the miata is about pure joy and fun in driving, not straight line speed OR super car level cornering, so that's the way it was designed.

The miata is not a good car if you have lots of things/people to move around, and generally is very impractical. As the soul of a sports car, that's the way it should be. If practicality is a concern, get a mini.

If you want to have a smile on your face every moment you're in the car, wind blowing and sun shining, effortlessly tearing around corners and whipping down country roads, there are few other cars on the planet that can.provide that feeling at the level of the Mazda MX-5, and none of them are economy cars
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Should also add, Miatas are actually quite reliable and maintain resale value well, esp. special edition models.

Minis are very unreliable and value drops like a rock.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol to this thread.

View Quote

LOL @ you. You talk a good game, but I think you're full of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My Miata is all one color...

(Mostly, Japanese Racing Pink bumpers not withstanding).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol to this thread.

LOL @ you. You talk a good game, but I think you're full of it.

My Miata is all one color...

(Mostly, Japanese Racing Pink bumpers not withstanding).

Racial purist.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have experience with Miatas but none with Minis.  Which handles better?  Which is the better all-around vehicle...which may be just personal preference.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

WRX
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WRX
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

WRX

YOU JUST DID THIS
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

WRX

YOU JUST DID THIS

Kind of, but a new WRX is only about $2k more than a new Miata.

And I love me some WRX. But it's not really in the same category as a Miata, handling wise. Unless we are talking snow, ice, and gravel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When I sat in a Miata, my line of sight goes right thru the sun visor.  The top has to be down or my head hits the roof.  In order to avoid these conditions, I had to lay the seat so far back it ws not appropriate for driving.
View Quote

Same here.   Drove my aunt's Miata.   I figured my head was the first line of defense in a rollover.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Same here.   Drove my aunt's Miata.   I figured my head was the first line of defense in a rollover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally I was planning to buy a pristine 94 or 95 that my son and I could supercharge and then he could have it at 16.  But my wife pointed out that he's got her family's height.  Some of them are 6' 3" and 6' 4".  No way in hell he'd fit!

So now I figure ill spend considerably less on one with a little rust, drive the hell out of it and get rid of it in a few.  Probably trade up to a mustang that WILL fit him.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what year and how tall.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I know in 1st gens i have to lean forwards to see traffic lights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Third gen.   2006, I believe.   6'3 with a long ass torso and huge head.  (I can only wear "tall"  shirts and have to order the largest helmet possible)

I can fit myself in a Spec Miata with a racing seat bolted to the floor.   Still not comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Third gen.   2006, I believe.   6'3 with a long ass torso and huge head.  (I can only wear "tall"  shirts and have to order the largest helmet possible)

I can fit myself in a Spec Miata with a racing seat bolted to the floor.   Still not comfortable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6'3" seems to be about the threshold of comfort (depending on body type) according to most folks.

I asked due to the tendency of folks to lump Miatas into one group when the NC's are significantly more roomy (and more powerful).
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

6'3" seems to be about the threshold of comfort (depending on body type) according to most folks.

I asked due to the tendency of folks to lump Miatas into one group when the NC's are significantly more roomy (and more powerful).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.   I dont have a problem with either width-wise, though I feel claustrophobic in any second gen wearing a hard top and sporting any sort of roll cage.

Mind you,  my head damn near hits the ceiling of many 4 door sedans equipped with a sunroof.  Oddly sized torso,  after all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I an 6' 1" 255 lbs. I have leg room, head room and my arm stretch is good.
The only problem with my NB is my right knee hits the console.
Placed a computer wrist pad on it with Velcro.

Miata gets a bad rap for not fitting a big guy. But there are many ways around it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#32]
miata for sure.  they are very popular in the autocross / road course community.

I owned a very good condition NA when I lived out in vegas as a fun second car. I miss that thing almost every day. Im 6'-2" so it was a little cramped but it was SO much fun to drive around int he desert / up in the mountains around vegas.  I will own another one someday.

edit - don't even think about getting an automatic... manual is an absolute must
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#33]
It's probably been mentioned already, but reliability and resale value of the Miata is much higher than it is for the Mini. The mini drops off a cliff once the factory warranty is done.

I know that doesn't answer OPs original question, but it would be good to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top