Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 11:16:47 PM EDT
Looking for a rust remover that I can spray on that will loosen/eat rust.

I presently have OSPHO which is sprayed on, and then rinsed off, or wiped off. I am starting to think OSHPO is only really a rust converter, as the heavier stuff turns black which I don't want right yet.

Want a chemical that will remove rust, without having to wire wheel/sand the entire thing. If I wanted to do that I would avoid the chemicals.

ETA: Do not want something that I have to soak in a bucket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used POR-15 with good results. I'd say that's a converter as well... I don't know if rust can be technically "removed" without abrasive blasting, sanding or grinding? Shy of cutting out and replacing the affected area. Which isn't very practical at times.

Let us know if you find something that works well!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Got Evaporust and Naval Jelly on the way.

I don't think I'm expecting magic, as I know I will have to do some scrubbing. I just don't want to have to scrub the whole thing to get every bit. If I did that then it would just make sense to skip the chemical I'm thinking.

Ospho does scrub off light surface rust good, in case anyone was curious.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what you are working on, the electrolytic rust removal process is pretty darn cool  Again, depending on the item, you can skip the bucket and separate the anode/cathode with a towel.

Other than that, same as above, cut it out or blast it off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the Evapo-rust in a spray bottle and it should do what you want.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to suggest Naval Jelly, but it's a bit thick to spray on.  I see you've got some on the way (Lowes sells it too if you simply can't wait)

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on what you are working on, the electrolytic rust removal process is pretty darn cool  Again, depending on the item, you can skip the bucket and separate the anode/cathode with a towel.

Other than that, same as above, cut it out or blast it off.
View Quote

Mechanical removal is the only way to deal with anything more than surface rust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top