Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright couple new questions for you guys on my DR650.

What do I need to know about tubed tires? Can't plug em so I guess my options for a flat are a extra tube or to patch the existing one. Is it worth going tubeless?

Going to need some tires eventually and will probably get something more street oriented. What should I be looking at.

Broke a rear turn signal off and am thinking some low pro LEDs would be a better option. Good idea or bad idea?

I need more range. Any brand of desert tank to stay away from or suggestions on size.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright couple new questions for you guys on my DR650.

What do I need to know about tubed tires? Can't plug em so I guess my options for a flat are a extra tube or to patch the existing one. Is it worth going tubeless?

Going to need some tires eventually and will probably get something more street oriented. What should I be looking at.

Broke a rear turn signal off and am thinking some low pro LEDs would be a better option. Good idea or bad idea?

I need more range. Any brand of desert tank to stay away from or suggestions on size.
View Quote

Id go tubeless. I will be on the Tiger. Look for kits to do it yourself, super easy.
I like the Shinko 705 tires. Theres also another brand, veey similar to the 795. My brain just went blank what they are. Popular for bigger bikes like mine.

Look for flush mount signals. If you get led, you'll need resistors, or an electronic relay. I suggest relay. Easier, and its a one time deal, works with any signal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered an IMS 4.9 gallon tank for my DR650 today. The Acerbis while awesome looking has issues where the fill hole shape can distort when the tank is full causing cross threading of the gas cap. There are also reported issues with the way the petcock mounts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Full Bore m40 and m41
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mind tubes....once you learn how to spoon 'em quick, carrying a spare is nothing (I used a Tusk fender pack) and at least there you can repair any flat. Tubeless can strand you if you tear the tire the right way...and you can't run as low of pressures as you can with tubes without dismounting on rocks & roots and so forth.

Guess it depends on how gnarly you ride....mostly road? Tubeless is probably the best.

As for signals short stalk LED's are the way to go, but you might have to install a variable load flasher to get them to flash normally.

I haven't had a DR650, but the Clark tank on my DRZ was awesome...and not that expensive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have the Oxfords on my KLR and they do work well...I usually run them at 50%, maybe 75%...never tried 100%
I also just installed the Oxford Muffs on my Versys...easy install, easy removal. Haven't tried them yet but have a ride planned. Cheaper than guards/heaters so I thought I'd give them a shot this winter.
Oxford Muffs

ETA: Guns...does the AFX 41 let a lot of wind in under the chin area? Noisy? Thanks...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought I'd update on my Oxford heaterz grips.  I used them today!  They warned up quick!  It was great.  Also love my new AFX 41 helmet.  The more I wear it, the better it gets.  Didn't fog up on me this morning like my HJC would.

I have the Oxfords on my KLR and they do work well...I usually run them at 50%, maybe 75%...never tried 100%
I also just installed the Oxford Muffs on my Versys...easy install, easy removal. Haven't tried them yet but have a ride planned. Cheaper than guards/heaters so I thought I'd give them a shot this winter.
Oxford Muffs

ETA: Guns...does the AFX 41 let a lot of wind in under the chin area? Noisy? Thanks...

I haven't had it out for very long rides yet, but I do think there is a little more air under the chin than my HJC.    Noise......not really much more than my HJC.  Maybe less.    The HJC leaked a lot of air at the top of the visor, and created a ton of noise there.    This visor seems to seal better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately all it see at the moment is road. I would eventually like to remedy that but it's my best option for a commuter right now.

I am kind of familiar with the resistor for the leds as I had to do that on my VTX but I haven't done electrial work since then either and it's been 10 years
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Unfortunately all it see at the moment is road. I would eventually like to remedy that but it's my best option for a commuter right now.

I am kind of familiar with the resistor for the leds as I had to do that on my VTX but I haven't done electrial work since then either and it's been 10 years
View Quote

They sell variable load flashers that won't require a resistor (which has the added benefits of drawing less juice). I prefer them to wiring a resistor inline.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#9]
it seems with the DR's system, using a relay requires pulling the turn indicator bulb in your dash.
Here's one guy's write up:
https://www.procycle.us/info/guides/dr650/led-flshr-install-guide.html

about halfway down you'll see his note about the dash light
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it seems with the DR's system, using a relay requires pulling the turn indicator bulb in your dash.
Here's one guy's write up:
https://www.procycle.us/info/guides/dr650/led-flshr-install-guide.html

about halfway down you'll see his note about the dash light
View Quote

Thanks man I appreciate it
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got done spending a long time on the bike a few days ago.

Made a trip from Minot to Yellowstone for a couple days then to Salt Lake, some riding around there, then back. Bought two accessories after some time in Yellowstone. Waterproof boot covers and air deflectors.

I do have to admit to chickening out at times. My dad was supposed to meet me in Cody on his bike. But after looking at the weather he decided that was a stupid idea and brought his truck and a trailer. I on the other hand was bullheaded and wanted to ride everywhere. So I got very cold and my feet also got very wet. Using shopping bags for waterproofing was a a temporary fix. So a few times in the park I put the bike on the trailer. In my defense, they did eventually close some of the higher roads due to snow.

I've gotta give due credit to my Seat Concepts saddle. I was concerned before the trip because it never felt quite as comfortable at the stock saddle. The difference is that it never started to hurt. Ok well actually it did, but that was about hour 9 on the way back. I'm not counting that.

I've also got some time lapses from a new go pro. I'll post those once I figure out how to edit them. Overall great trip the vee 650 never felt underpowered and I learned a lot.

I think the one mod I need is a handlebar raise. Maybe a straighter bar too. The one major discomfort from the trip was a very sharp pain between the shoulders.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I strongly suggest the SE atv high bars, and Rox Risers are amazing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I strongly suggest the SE atv high bars, and Rox Risers are amazing.
View Quote

+1 to both those. I have up/back risers on mine and they really helped comfort and being able to stand up comfortably (which I do a lot on gravel/trails).
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm thinking about picking up the Tusk panniers for my DR650. Does anyone have any feedback on their quality?  Also, do you recommend the medium or the large size?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Got my first bike a few weeks ago, a 06 KLR650. Haven't taken it off road yet (except my driveway). Just thought I'd say hi.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got my first bike a few weeks ago, a 06 KLR650. Haven't taken it off road yet (except my driveway). Just thought I'd say hi.
View Quote

Welcome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-milk-crates-HEAVY-DUTY-Pick-your-Color-Mix-and-Match-vintage-modern-/281675521423?var=&hash=item41952b5d8f
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-milk-crates-HEAVY-DUTY-Pick-your-Color-Mix-and-Match-vintage-modern-/281675521423?var=&hash=item41952b5d8f

I've got PVS-14 "Ammo Cans" on it right now. Gonna pick up some 40mm though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome!

New guy thinks his KLR was made by KTM!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Im out and about on a road only trip with my wife. Talked with a guy in Roswell, said he has a poor mans bike, thw KLR.  I told him klr is a great bike. 2nd gen with sidecar is best

Lots of interest in her versys 1k.

Dropped my 3 week old Tiger today.  I stupidly parked it facing slightly down hill at a gas stop. Standing there talking to a guy about bikes and weather, wind nudged it just enough that it fell over. Broken turn signal, scratched engine bar. I'll look for lower profile signals and an electronic relay when we get home in a few days.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome!

Not sure I follow, my understanding was that cheap and improvised was the KLR way. Anyway here is a pic.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure I follow, my understanding was that cheap and improvised was the KLR way. Anyway here is a pic.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20151004_152853_RichtoneHDR_zpsmodvqupp.jpg
View Quote

Awesome bikes, those gen 2 KLR.  Swiss Army knife of bikes. Does everything, but not perfect for anything.  Enjoy it, ride the crap out of it.

Make sure the "doo" has been done. If youre going to serious off road it, look into the Eagle Mike bolt upgrade for the subframe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im out and about on a road only trip with my wife. Talked with a guy in Roswell, said he has a poor mans bike, thw KLR.  I told him klr is a great bike. 2nd gen with sidecar is best

Lots of interest in her versys 1k.

Dropped my 3 week old Tiger today.  I stupidly parked it facing slightly down hill at a gas stop. Standing there talking to a guy about bikes and weather, wind nudged it just enough that it fell over. Broken turn signal, scratched engine bar. I'll look for lower profile signals and an electronic relay when we get home in a few days.
View Quote

That sucks, sorry that happened.   Everytime I get off my bike, I always say a little prayer, "Please don't let this fall over when I get off."  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Awesome bikes, those gen 2 KLR.  Swiss Army knife of bikes. Does everything, but not perfect for anything.  Enjoy it, ride the crap out of it.

Make sure the "doo" has been done. If youre going to serious off road it, look into the Eagle Mike bolt upgrade for the subframe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20151004_152853_RichtoneHDR_zpsmodvqupp.jpg

Doo was done by the PO along with a lot of extras, Cogent Dynamics MOAB shock, progressive fork springs, radiator guards, etc...came with about an inch of service records. I need to check,  but I'm pretty sure the subframe was also done.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome!

Sorry, I guess that wasn't as clear as I thought. I was inferring that ammo cans were a hoity toity snub to the milk crate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My Honda XR650L Commuter

XR650L by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

Everyday is an adventure riding on Long Island
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#27]
New Gaerne Adventures and an Olympia Motoquest jacket to replace the 5 year old X-Moto got here yesterday.  As did shorter more flexible turn signals and Bark Busters.

Sadly these new Tigers have the computer control the flash rate, so unless i want to install inline resistors, I'll have the fast flash rate.   I dont like either option
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New Gaerne Adventures and an Olympia Motoquest jacket to replace the 5 year old X-Moto got here yesterday.  As did shorter more flexible turn signals and Bark Busters.

Sadly these new Tigers have the computer control the flash rate, so unless i want to install inline resistors, I'll have the fast flash rate.   I dont like either option
View Quote

Pictures of new jacket?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Evidently Triumph did not use a relay to control the turn signals. The ECU controls them, and so the only way to adjust the flash rate is with resistors. There is an alarm plug for the optional alarm, that has wires for left and right signals. 1 10 ohm 25 watt resistor per side wired at the alarm plug, and I'm back to a normal flash rate. Finally took the coat out of the box. I like the black better than the grey of the x-moto. I still love the yellow. It matches my mid weight gloves and of course helmet.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay, let's see some fall ADV rides -

We're probably about 2 weeks from "peak autumn" here in VA, but yesterday's ride was pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Nice.

I'm leaving for a trip next Friday, hoping to get some color before the leaves start falling....riding through the Monongahela, George Washington NF and so forth. I'll post some pics.

Come to think of it, I'll be skirting the VA line for a lot of my trip...if you're free you should zip across the border and join me!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Tomorrow I'm hitting some light trails. First time off-road for this Tiger. Lousy tires and all. They may be a 95/5 tire. We'll see in the morning.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Swingset

Come to think of it, I'll be skirting the VA line for a lot of my trip...if you're free you should zip across the border and join me!

View Quote
That just may be doable - shoot me a pm when you figure out where/when you'll be out there.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Tomorrow I'm hitting some light trails. First time off-road for this Tiger. Lousy tires and all. They may be a 95/5 tire. We'll see in the morning.

View Quote

Post pics of it laying on its side.

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Didnt get to go
Busy working on the wife's  bike. She decided she didnt want the 1" lowering links or shorter side stand.  Then work around the house.  It's been on it's side twice already though

So now you all have to talk me out a 2001 Super Sherpa with 3300 miles. SeatConcepts, DirtBagz. for some reason I've wanted one for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So now you all have to talk me out a 2001 Super Sherpa with 3300 miles. SeatConcepts, DirtBagz. for some reason I've wanted one for a long time.
View Quote

Ok, here's my best shot....

It's slow.

<thinks a minute, scratches head>

Ok, that's all I got.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#37]
What are the thoughts on the Vstrom vs Vstrom Adventure?

Any of the big adventure bikes to stay away from? Local dealer had a Super Tenere that didn't sell and was blowing out but I realized I don't hear much about them. Would love to go buy a GS but I think that's going to be out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Any of the big adventure bikes to stay away from? Local dealer had a Super Tenere that didn't sell and was blowing out but I realized I don't hear much about them. Would love to go buy a GS but I think that's going to be out of my price range.
View Quote

I'm assuming you're talking about the 650 Adventure.

My buddy has a new DL650 Adventure, and I have the 1st gen DL650. From my view, the only compelling reason to choose the adventure over the normal Strom is if you're going to really get it off the tarmac and into ruts/rocks where the wheels matter. Otherwise, it's all aesthetic and "package" differences.

It's a nice bike, tho, rides and handles great and bang/buck I don't think you can beat a Strom. I have nothing but praise for the 650, and the 1000 is a great bike too..although when stepping up into the liter range, I think I'd opt for a shaft-driven bike and on that note the Super10 is a great choice. I know a lot of people who have had them and they love the bike. The only complaints were small stuff that got sorted out, or the overall weight, but I've seen them ridden in some pretty gnarly stuff and they seem as capable as a GS and then some.

If I had the money, I'd buy a Tenere without hesitation.

And then there's that new Africa Twin coming....hmmm.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Everything he said.  If the new Africa twin is a child of its lineage it will be a great adventure bike,more than capable offroad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My buddy has a new DL650 Adventure, and I have the 1st gen DL650. From my view, the only compelling reason to choose the adventure over the normal Strom is if you're going to really get it off the tarmac and into ruts/rocks where the wheels matter. Otherwise, it's all aesthetic and "package" differences.

It's a nice bike, tho, rides and handles great and bang/buck I don't think you can beat a Strom. I have nothing but praise for the 650, and the 1000 is a great bike too..although when stepping up into the liter range, I think I'd opt for a shaft-driven bike and on that note the Super10 is a great choice. I know a lot of people who have had them and they love the bike. The only complaints were small stuff that got sorted out, or the overall weight, but I've seen them ridden in some pretty gnarly stuff and they seem as capable as a GS and then some.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is exactly where I am at.  I know the DL650 would do everything I need it to although I would like traction control. I just have it in my head one day the traction control may keep the motorcycle upright while commuting. Aside from that it fits my budget very well and I see 2014 & '15 leftover Adventure (non XT) models around locally.  I like it.

On paper the DL1000 V-Strom is great, I just don't like the looks of it.

The Super Tenere is my big want.  I test rode an ES and fell in love.  Shaft drive, cruise control, heated grips - yummy.  Feels like a Gold Wing compared to my XR650L and that's a good thing.

The Honda Africa twin seems really nice.  I love the idea of the DCT (automatic) transmission but don't like the idea of tubed tires and a chain.  

I wish there was a 750 Tenere with all the technology of the 1200.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

It'd nearly weigh as much, I fear...with less power to get it going.

I don't mind the tubed tire thing on the A/T so much, tire changes are easy on tubed tires (I'd much rather change a tube trailside than wrestle a stuck bead on a tubeless), and it allows a much wider range of tire and inflations for offroading and a vastly wider selection of off-road tires than you can put on the big bikes.

I guess it comes down to where you're riding. If you're way more road biased, the A/T seems not be the best choice anyway, but when you do venture offroad I'm glad Honda has taken that aspect of the Adventure bikes serious.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I don't mind the tubed tire thing on the A/T so much, tire changes are easy on tubed tires (I'd much rather change a tube trailside than wrestle a stuck bead on a tubeless), and it allows a much wider range of tire and inflations for offroading and a vastly wider selection of off-road tires than you can put on the big bikes.

I guess it comes down to where you're riding. If you're way more road biased, the A/T seems not be the best choice anyway, but when you do venture offroad I'm glad Honda has taken that aspect of the Adventure bikes serious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, I agree with you on the 750 Tenere concept's weight unless they did something that would make it very light and then it would cost more than the 1200.

I wish I had more off pavement available to me but 75% of my motorcycle's duties are commuting to work.  I don't need an Adventure bike but I just like the idea of them.  

:imaposer:  
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yup, I agree with you on the 750 Tenere concept's weight unless they did something that would make it very light and then it would cost more than the 1200.

I wish I had more off pavement available to me but 75% of my motorcycle's duties are commuting to work.  I don't need an Adventure bike but I just like the idea of them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that, I have to travel a lot further to get dirty than I used to, most of my riding now is back and forth to work. The good is that there are so many great bikes that are more road biased but will handle the occasional foray into the gravel or light trail...never been a better time in that market, really.

And, you can always make things work where they shouldn't. The NC500X Rally Raid package is fucking killer, a great example of how you can make a pseudo adventure bike into the real animal.

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that, I have to travel a lot further to get dirty than I used to, most of my riding now is back and forth to work. The good is that there are so many great bikes that are more road biased but will handle the occasional foray into the gravel or light trail...never been a better time in that market, really.

And, you can always make things work where they shouldn't. The NC500X Rally Raid package is fucking killer, a great example of how you can make a pseudo adventure bike into the real animal.

http://giantloopmoto.com/wp2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/RRP-CB500X-Adventure-f.jpeg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://giantloopmoto.com/wp2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/RRP-CB500X-Adventure-f.jpeg

I've Youtube'd the shit out of those.  Really cool.  It's a half-sized Africa Twin.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is exactly where I am at.  I know the DL650 would do everything I need it to although I would like traction control. I just have it in my head one day the traction control may keep the motorcycle upright while commuting. Aside from that it fits my budget very well and I see 2014 & '15 leftover Adventure (non XT) models around locally.  I like it.

The Super Tenere is my big want.  I test rode an ES and fell in love.  Shaft drive, cruise control, heated grips - yummy.  Feels like a Gold Wing compared to my XR650L and that's a good thing.

The Honda Africa twin seems really nice.  I love the idea of the DCT (automatic) transmission but don't like the idea of tubed tires and a chain.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Africa Twin has my full attention for sure. Though I don't like that you only get abs on the dct model. No way I'm buying the first generation of that(Unless they are well proven elsewhere). I am a Honda fan through and through and am really excited to see one in person.

I was talking about the 1000 stroms not he 650. I've never ridden the 650's but I'm a big fat bastard and will mostly be doing road trips. I was surprised to see a chain on it but I guess that's one of the reasons they are cheaper than the competition. I was thinking Adventure because it already comes with the bags and a few other things.

Sounds like I need to do some more research on the Super10. The price of the Suzuki is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The Africa Twin has my full attention for sure. Though I don't like that you only get abs on the dct model. No way I'm buying the first generation of that(Unless they are well proven elsewhere). I am a Honda fan through and through and am really excited to see one in person.

I was talking about the 1000 stroms not he 650. I've never ridden the 650's but I'm a big fat bastard and will mostly be doing road trips. I was surprised to see a chain on it but I guess that's one of the reasons they are cheaper than the competition. I was thinking Adventure because it already comes with the bags and a few other things.

Sounds like I need to do some more research on the Super10. The price of the Suzuki is hard to beat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

<SNIP>

I had a nice chat with a guy yesterday who owns a '12 Super Tenere that's been flashed and has the '14 Clutch basket upgrade and he said it's his preferred choice for long interstate slab cruising.  He also own a '14 1000 V-Strom Adventure and was praising it.  He said it is 100# lighter than the S10 and is easier in tight spots and parking lots.  It's also his preferred commuter. He made them sound significantly different.  I figured I'd throw this out there, how many guys own a '14 V-Strom 1000 and a '12 Super Tenere and can comment on a direct comparison?  Not too many I'd bet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In defense of the DL650 Adventure, Swingset is mostly right - the Adventure model gets you stronger wheels, crashbars, and panniers - to really get it off-road, you have to mod it with a skid plate, handguards, and tires appropriate to your riding style. The other thing you have to keep in mind is where you want to ride - I've taken my DL650 Adventure places where I didn't realize i had nowhere being until I completed the ride. In any case they are generally considered to be strong runners and essentially bullet proof outside of regular care.

Take this picture from today's ride for an example - I'm not saying it was Aliens trying to knock it off....(but it was aliens) and the V-Strom's aura simply dissipated the beam, rendering it ineffective....

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#48]
F800r... but the camera bike is an 1150gs.......

My second adventurish bike.....

~g
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Took the XR650L 'upstate' to leaf peep yesterday.

Harriman 10/23/15 by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

My first time riding off Long Island on this motorcycle.  The Cross Bronx Expressway was a treat.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I met up with MTShawn in the middle of my WV trip this weekend and we did some riding. Good times! This thread is now the E-Harmony of adventure riding on ARFcom. #bromance.

Here's a ride report I put together (mostly for my Facebook friends/family, so excuse the explaining stuff that we already know).

WV Adventure, Fall 2015.

It's pretentious to say every ride I take is an adventure, firstly because they're not all that notable or exciting, and also, just because I ride an adventure bike doesn't mean I throw it down a mountainside with any regularity. Sometimes I ride to Panera and get a sandwich.

But, occasionally I save up my pennies and fortitude and set out for the unknown, and adventure ends up happening (whether I think I'm ready for it or not). This fall, I returned to West Virginia, mostly solo, to catch some of the sites I've missed in previous outings. I normally enjoy riding with friends or taking Deb on the back, but it worked out that I would go alone, or not at all. Traveling alone is a different experience, and requires for me an entirely different mindset and plan, even a short trip like this, but it does change things. It's nice to stop when I want to stop, see what I want to see, eat where I want to eat without regard that anyone else approves or enjoys my decisions, but there are also so many times when I see something incredible, or do something that I want to share and I catch myself trying to point out a flock of cranes taking flight in the river beside me to no one...because she's not on the back of the bike, and my riding partner is 500 miles away at a picnic. And, then there's long stretches on the road or stopped, when I am completely immersed in my own thoughts...which isn't always a good thing, but it does force you to contend with yourself, and I think everyone needs those times. I certainly do. So, alone it was.

Before I set out, everything that could go wrong to derail this trip seemed to line up and take a swing at my resolve, from a death in the family to a sick pet, lack of funds...at a certain point you start to wonder if someone is trying to tell you something (and there were times on the trip I recalled that very thought), but this was peak color season in WV and I was longing for a shaking of the Etch-A-Sketch, so to speak.

Riding a motorcycle has a wonderfully restorative property to it and I have found that nothing else I've ever done can fully scratch an itch of "doing something" like setting out on a bike and riding to your limits. At the end of a long day, I am so ready to be off the bike that it feels like a fever breaking...yet the next morning, I'm raring to go again. It's a magical thing, really, a hobby that takes everything out of you, demanding your entire concentration and full body to exert and leaves you exhausted, in the best possible way. But, it never feels like a labor, instead it offers you all of the best experiences of travel - wonderment, exhilaration, excitement, relaxation. God I wish tennis worked that way, I'd save so much money. Anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, West Virginia.

So, the first day of my trip would be a dull start, as I opted for interstate across Central Ohio until I reached SR800, a curvy vein that runs down the eastern part of the state and meets the Ohio river at a fortuitous stopping point. Once on 800, the morning sky lit up and revealed the magical fall colors and hard light that frames everything like a Normal Rockwell painting. SR800 winds a long gently in rolling fields and woods, often atop a ridge offering vistas of bucolic farmland.

I rolled into Barnesville, Ohio in the late morning, about halfway down 800 to the Ohio River. It's a nice little town remarkable for the number of stone buildings in the downtown, several made from huge, dark rock that's out of place for an Ohio town. There are churches, a government building and a bank all built from these big, reddish, imposing rocks.

Continuing on 800, I wound my way down to SR7, along the mighty Ohio river. 800 stops at Fly, a little unincorporated village that's shadowed on the other side of the river by the town of Sistersville, WV, and is notable for the connection of a river ferry running between the two. It's been a ferry way since 1817, and one of only 4 ferries along the Ohio river. The ride is short, it only takes about 8 minutes, but it's a neat by-gone modality of travel and it does take you to a part of the WV river border that offers some great backroad riding, so it's worth utilizing. Before catching the ferry, I stopped at the Riverview Cafe for some late morning breakfast...it's situated just a few feet from the ferry ramp, and is a nice quaint little restaurant.

Here is the bike at the launch, watching the Ferry across the river deliver a horse trailer.

Underway...

The ferry is a pusher type, meaning the ferry is a barge and the engine is an attached boat on a swivel that guides the ferry by pushing it along its way. Very interesting to watch the operation.

Once I hit Sistersville on the WV side, I wandered through the town (much larger than Fly), and rode Rt. 2 (which mirrors Route 7 on the Ohio side nearly the entire length of the Ohio) until I found my destination, a little state road which would take me into the heart of the state. SR18 is most of the time no more than a car-width state route, and it slices and weaves its way from the Ohio River through rolling hills down to the more mountainous interior.

I rode 18 all the way to Weston, in the center of the state, watching the fall colors and hills turn steeper and more impressive as I rode.

Many parts of SR18 shadowed scenic creeks.

18 travels some real back country, past small community churches, orchards, old homesteads and some pretty backwater little unincorporated towns. It would be a long diary to even attempt to photograph and document all the beautiful scenery, and fruitless to attempt to capture the radiant colors with a point-shoot camera. Sometimes, too, the urge to just ride and soak it all in overcomes everything else.

Once in the center of the state, a few larger state routes took me over near Buckhannon, and within a short ride to my evening's destination which was a small family hotel in the big city of Bellington. But, with some hours to play with before needing to call it quits, I decided to complete an optional loop of back roads and secondary roads south of Buckhannon, an area I've never explored. So, I started south and almost immediately found my roads turning to beautiful hard pack and dirt, through some magnificent country following the Middle Fork river.

Then, that beautiful hardpack starting getting more narrow and turning into the kind of dual sport road I often seek out.

After this neat old bridge, I started seeing little in the way of houses or farms, but evidence of offroading was everywhere...trails and goat paths forking off of the main road in all directions that were the domain of dirt bikes and quads. This is both good and bad, it means prime dual sport country, but also usually a sign that the road will get less manicured and possibly harder to negotiate on a big bike. About 15 miles in, the GPS showed that Lang Run Rd. which I was traveling kept going...but I was looking at the end of the actual road, and what was clearly a dry creek bed.

This is what I ride for, and it's great fun to take a big bike along rocky bottoms, downed leaves and dirt, but it comes with a true peril. These bikes are very heavy and unforgiving when you upset them, so I had to be careful - especially being alone. A simple tip-over, should I fall wrong will break an ankle, or destroy a shifter or in ways unforeseen strand me miles from anything with no one but myself to undo the damage. It's thrilling, but at the same time I have to carefully weigh risks and ride effectively. This doesn't look like gnarly terrain, but to anyone who's done this on a 500+lb, loaded bike, you know that even some slippery rocks and a few spills will exhaust you to the point of collapse. You kind of have to be lucky, or perfect.

I soldiered on through this creek bed, going along for another 8 miles, occasionally going through rutten sections and increasingly difficult stream crossings, until finally seeing two Jeeps coming my way full of younger folks out 4-wheeling. As they passed me, one said "There's a good creek crossing ahead" and I noticed his doors were wet. Uh oh, that's too high for me, but I was so far in I had to keep going to check it out, rather than double back through all that. Plus, my GPS showed I was nearing the end of this road and very close to a major county road.

Then, I see this ahead...and although it looks mild, there are two things tricky about it...the bed of this creek has some big rocks and the calmness of a moving stream. A sure sign this was deeper than knee-high. My bike can tackle fairly deep water, but waist-high will stop it dead. I wasn't keen on testing this.

The best method to be sure, especially alone, is to walk the creek and see how navigable it is, choose a line, make sure there are no big underwater obstacles. But, here's the thing. It's 55 degrees out, that water is cold and, well, wet...and I have several hours of riding left to do. I REALLY didn't want to get wet. So, I did the next best thing and threw a stick into what looked like a good line to the left. It only went into the water a few feet, so I was relatively sure I could ride that part to the opposite bank.

I was wrong.

I got halfway there, and the front tire lodged against a big rock, while the back tire found one of the few sandy exposed parts of the creek bed and the rear tire spun itself into the muck. I was stuck, in the water, and it was a lot deeper than I had imagined. The bike started to tip, and I quickly jumped off to one side to keep it from falling into the water (which will kill a bike stone dead if the water reaches the air-intake...thereby sucking water into the cylinder).

I landed in the water, up to the top of my thighs, and held the bike aloft, but I heard the bike sputter. Oh shit. I hit the kill switch and stood there, panicking, wondering what I could possibly do now.

That water was cold, and my boots quickly filled up, and it did hasten my thought processes immensely. Knowing my front tire was the obstacle, I grabbed the engine guards, and pulled to one side as hard as I could possibly muster my arms, dragging the front tire away from it. I felt the tire clear the rock, but did not know if the bike would run, or if I could push it out once under power. Without it running, no way...the bike would stay in the creek...and I knew there was a big risk in firing it up with potentially wet intake...but I hit the starter and listened. It purred, rather than coughed, so I felt like I had a shot...but didn't know if forward was deeper water or more shallow.

With everything in me, I pushed forward while hitting the gas, gently lifting the back tire out of the muck and as it spun wildly I inched the bike towards the shore, tripping over slippery rocks, once leaning down so far my groin now got soaked too. Awesome.

I got the bike up and out of the creek, mostly due to the Strom's own energy and me walking along side, but we did it. I looked at the sight glass on the engine side, checking for the white frothy tell-tale of an engine full of water, but it ran and I saw no sign. I had gotten extremely lucky.

I sat down and rested, heart racing, sweat and icy water combining to create equal misery on both sides of my body...my head dripping with sweat, my balls and feet howling in discomfort. Truly an odd feeling.

Then, I dug out my tools and started taking the front cowl off to expose the air box bottom so that I could reach in and take the drain plug out. When I got to it, 20 minutes later and taking great care not to lose fasteners on the creek bed floor, I pulled the plug and a rush of water pissed out of the box. I had taken in water, but it had not reached the intake just the airbox/filter. So close to a ruined trip, but bullet dodged.

I put it back together, and got on the bike and started riding, only needing another 900 yards or so before I emerged from the creek/road onto a big, wide gravel highway marked by oil-company trucks..which meant easy riding to a nearby highway. Thank god, but I was not out of the woods. I was freezing cold, unknown miles from my hotel, and it was getting late.

I rode north until I found an old church, and stopped to wring out my pants/socks/boots and underwear. Thank god no one saw me naked from the waist down behind an old church. Jesus would understand, the locals? Maybe not so much. Deliverance, we've all seen it.

I wish there were more pictures of this event, I should have had the video camera going, but I'll tell ya...from the instant I said "fuckit" and started through that creek until I was sitting on those church steps, pictures were the last thing on my mind. I just wanted to get out of there. Adventure? Found.

So, from here, the journey was a rapid and uncomfortable 25 miles north via whatever roads my GPS said I should take to Bellington and my little cheap motel. The town is small, maybe 2,000 people, and just big enough for an old 60's era hotel in the center of town. I didn't expect much, but it was surprisingly modernized and clean...and in my state, was about the most welcoming place on earth. I put my wet stuff in front of the fan/heater, and put it on high. Out of my gear and into street clothes, I sat down at a little family restaurant across the street and tried to eat my way back to normal. Meatloaf never tasted so good.

My poor Strom was dirty, and wet, and abused, but she got me here...and needed a rest too.

Bellington, like Elkins to the South, share a rail line and you can take scenic historic train rides out of both locations. The train depot in Bellington was right behind my motel, so I took a walk and photographed the trains and old engines sitting waiting for restoration or repair. I saw porters cleaning and working on the passenger cars, preparing for the next day's rides. I'll have to return there and ride them someday.

There was even an Old Amtrak engine there, and two old salty looking fellows working on the engine.

I grabbed a few beers at the gas station down the street, settled into my big comfy bed and watched some football...and before halftime I was out like a light, completely spent and I slept soundly. The next day I woke up feeling quite ready for a more relaxing, less-almost-drowny day on the bike. I made myself some breakfast, got my gear together, took a shower and was on the road by 7:30...just as the sun broke lighting up the town.

I had been talking with a friend, Shawn, from AR15.com, who shares my passion for adventure riding and who lives in Virginia not far from where I would be exploring, and suggested we could meet up on the 2nd day of my ride and do some riding together. Shawn has a newer Strom Adventure, and we agreed I'd meet him around 10am in Hopeville, WV...just north of the Seneca Rocks area. Knowing I had a few hours to get there I wasn't too worried about making the rendezvous, so I rode south to Elkins, then started catching my route which took a beautiful gravel road along Shaver's Fork which becomes the Cheat river. The morning sun and colors were a spectacle.

The Shaver's Fork was deserted this early, spare some blue herons and hawks, and what I think was a bald eagle swooping down to fish (I only caught a glimpse).

The little road, called Government Road, hugs the banks for dozens of miles and is never more than car-width, but is flat and fast and just wonderful to travel by bike. I never saw another car or truck the entire distance.

But, I had not counted on the road turning rocky...and about 15 miles in, the surface became less gravel and more jutting bedrocks that bounced and punished the suspension. I found my pace slowing to a crawl, and by the time I reached the end of the road, I had eaten up almost an hour just on this small road, and I had a ways to go to meet Shawn. Worried he'd be waiting a long time, I didn't worry about pictures or scenery and high-tailed it to his location, along Route 72 which goes south from Parsons, WV to eventually SR33 and then Seneca Rocks. Route 72 is a motorcycle playground, daring you to hurl the bike into the twisties, and I had a good excuse for going fast.

I only had a minute to find a good picture of Seneca Rocks with the fall foliage, but managed to get a decent shot...as I was running late.

Traveling north on SR28, I found Shawn waiting near a beautiful little church in Hopeville, and we chatted for a few before setting out. The church has a lovely pond and scenic outcropping in its back yard.

My route took us north, up the Dolly Sods road and onto that remarkable mountain-top area...where high elevations change everything about the WV experience...looking more like a Canadian Rockies landscape than the rolling hills and maple-leaf picture of the valleys. Our ears popped as we climbed the long, meandering dirt road to the top, and we raced down the corridor pretending we were Rally Racers. Ok, not that fast, but it was fun.

Looking out on two states and the hazy remnants of glacially-carved mountains is a heck of a nice way to spend an afternoon. The temperatures were cool up there, and we decided to get down to the warm valley again, and I marveled going down at the colors and scenery.

We hit Smoke Hole Road, a finely crafted piece of twisty road that slashes through the mountains south to eventually shadow the South Branch of the Potomac...where fisherman had collected along the rocky bottomed river like house flies on a picnic pot luck. Hard to blame them, it was stunning lanscape and I'm sure the stream offers ample opportunities to frustrate yourself hurling some line around in the air. That's a couple fly fisherman near the bank in the center of the pic.

I was far too busy grinning my way through the turns to photograph it, but there's some video I'll post later. After Smoke Hole, we headed south on SR33 and SR92 to arrive at the Green Bank National Observatory to catch a glimpse of the giant radio telegraph they have on site. It's enormous, and if we weren't hungry and uninterested in a tour, we could have learned more about it and seen it up close...but meh, it's huge, it looks at the stars...how much more do you want to know? I ain't Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Next up was a short hop Southwest of Green Bank to the historic railroad/company town of Cass, WV...where you can stay in the old company houses, ride a scenic steam engine through the mountains, among other various outdoor pursuits like horsebacking and eating food...which is what we were all about. We grabbed a burger at the Cass Restaurant, sadly missing the steam train just as we pulled in...so didn't get a good pic of it.

With full bellies, Shawn and I headed west through the mountains where we caught SR219, one of my favorite WV roads...as it heads south towards my 2nd nightly goal of reaching a Lewisburg hotel. Shawn had a longer ride ahead of him, so we split off shortly afterwards and he headed south down 219 and I went west on SR150, through a scenic byway rich with mountain bikers, hikers, people driving slowly pulling campers and other tiring obstacles that made me regret my choice a bit. I was nearing 9 hours on the saddle, and needed to stop and let the steam out of my ears.

I kept pushing and completed a nice little loop of scenic backroads and old SR60 and found myself pulling into Lewisburg around 6:30pm, a full 11 hours after setting out. My hotel was packed with bikers (the kind with shiny bikes and themed-t-shirts), many of whom were curious about the very dirty fellow traveler who had slipped into their gaggle of bikes. They were heading west from New Jersey, hotel-ing it across the US apparently, and thought it was mighty strange that I sought out dirt roads on purpose, but hey, viva la differance.

The luxurious Super8 was just fine, close to food and a beer-mart, so it had everything I needed. The second day complete, I settled into another routine of drinking beer and watching football, to the soundtrack of my upstairs neighbors having very quickie sex. Seriously people, 1 minute? Shameful.

The next day's plan was a slow, meandering course home via some state routes like SR60 that I had never run in their entirety, but I awoke early and set out to find that Hurricane Patricia had sent a wet blanket which covered the mountain roads in wet leaves and drizzle, and my nearing-bald rear tire was having none of that....so I opted for a dull trip home via Interstate 64/79, and was only consoled by the rich, dense smell of leaves and a cool mist in the air for many miles.

The mist turned into a furious downpour near Charleston, and my previously waterproof boots decided they had enough and cold wet feet would punctuate my 3rd day as well, but the heated liner and grips offset the misery by keeping me toasty and warm...and I listened to podcasts in my earbuds as the miles poured on...gradually riding out of the wet and by the time I crossed the Ohio River in Ripley, the sun had started to peek out..and I had a leisurely and uneventful ride home.

Some things went right, some things went wrong, I met a friend, ate some great food, slept some sound nights, got wet, got dry, got wet again, learned some history, challenged the roads, smelled the air, marveled at nature in her splendor, and made it home safe and sound.

There are about 75,000,000 worse ways to spend a weekend.

Here's a little video snippet of many of the roads I traveled. Change the settings to 1080p, it looks way betterer.

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top