Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 1:18:58 PM EDT
Local dealer has a '69 El Camino SS/396 for sale (link to ad)

$45K seems high to me.

I see these for sale on Hemmings, Ebay Motors, and AutoTrader Classics from $14K to $96K.

Can anybody give me insight to the value of this car from the ad or previous experience?

Thanks in advance.

Got it - see post below ................................
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe if it was an L89. Still nicely equipped. I think it is a bit high though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That is nicer than it was when it was new underneath. You have to really want an El Camino . My first thought is he is at least $10,000 too high , while neat they are not popular . My second thought would be to hire someone with serious old car inspection skills . I would expect matching numbers a Marti report and more for anywhere near that kind of money . They have a 9900 mile V-6 Camaro
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest you sign up for Mecum Info net.  

For those unaware these are the guys that put on auto auctions.    Via infonet you can look up a specific year model and see what it sold for at any of their auctions - it is a very handy way to gauge market value.  
Most all of the listings include a description of the vehicle and pictures so you can tell if it has been someone's daily driver for the past 45 years or had a nut and bolt restoration.
Best of all it is free and you wont get tons of spam emails - just notifications of upcoming auctions and there are only about 12 of those a year.

Here is a link:
https://www.mecum.com/       Infonet sign up is in the top right corner.

BTW - I am not affiliated with them in any way other than a fan and the fact that I purchased a car at one of their auctions a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is nicer than it was when it was new underneath. You have to really want an El Camino . My first thought is he is at least $10,000 too high , while neat they are not popular . My second thought would be to hire someone with serious old car inspection skills . I would expect matching numbers a Marti report and more for anywhere near that kind of money . They have a 9900 mile V-6 Camaro
View Quote

Each of the big three has a decoder. Kevin Marti is a Ford products only authenticating genius. For Chevy, at least as far as Camaros go, it's Jerry Macneish. For Mopar it's Galen Govier.
The bad thing about 1969 Chevelles/El Caminos is that there is no specific number in the Vin number or the cowl data tag that designates it as a SS 396. Without a build sheet, window sticker, or other factory documents the price isn't there. As whiskerz stated above, it must have matching numbers and it's not a Chevelle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Tough to say if its too high on price being an El Camino.  IMO they are a bit odd but if you like it that's all that matters.  My family had an original 1970 LS6 4 speed. 40k some odd miles. Sold it 20yrs ago.  White with the black stripes.  It sits in a older building to this day and I don't know what the guy will ever do with it.  He has lots of muscle car neato stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
They came down on the price and I traded a 1967 Mustang Coupe Resto-Mod that I was tired of (got what I had in it).

This car looks like it is brand new - inside and out.

Restored to as close to original as possible.

Tires are even bias-belted - not radials.

Looks good and sounds good.

Got the receipts from the restorer with it and they put a bunch of money into this restoration - receipts were just for parts - no labor costs.

Link to all photos ......

Photos:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Good for you. Now get out and drive the wheels off of it this summer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!  I'm a fan of El Caminos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top