Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
    I'm looking around for an older truck to use for dump runs, going to the range, etc. My price range limits me to 2000 or older trucks. I'd like a pre-96 to avoid the OBD test at inspection time, but so far these older trucks have big rust issues. Aside from rust issues are there any specific truck/engine/transmissions that I should avoid? I've seen a lot of issues with late 90s V6 F150s, so I'll avoid those.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally like the 88+ Chevy K1500 trucks. I think they are the best bang for the buck when it comes to "weekend Home Depot trucks".
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Avoid

Dodge

Any ford with a v6

Any GM between 96 and 00

Play by these rules and you won't get hurt
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Going to look at a couple of 97 GMC/Chevy trucks. A V6 manual and a V8 auto.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

NO

Just no

You do not want the intake leaking fuel spider eating pain in the balls these trucks represent
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not look at a southern truck ? My old boss was in MN and that is what he did . He said he could have sold it and made a profit many times just due to the no rust feature.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
How would I get the truck here? I really don't want to lay out a couple grand without even seeing the truck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Something with the ol' 350 in it. Can't kill 'em with a hand grenade.  My 96 Silverado had 244K on it when I sold it and it's STILL going.  Had a couple alternators along the way and one fuel pump.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
NO

Just no

You do not want the intake leaking fuel spider eating pain in the balls these trucks represent

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

Just no

The V6 or V8? From what I've read they are both pretty reliable and trouble-free.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The V6 or V8? From what I've read they are both pretty reliable and trouble-free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO

Just no

Both engines have pretty much the same issues
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO

Just no

Such as? I can fix almost anything.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The 4.3 V6 that I'm looking at has 100k and the V8 has 200k.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NO

Just no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO

Just no

I never had that leak but I owned a 1997 K1500 and I am very easy on my vehicles. Given that list of crap that needed fixing.

2 transmissions
1 radiator
1 water pump
2 thermostats
2 serpentine belts
1 set of belt pulleys
1 brake booster
1 rear U joint
1 set of crappy plastic intake gaskets
2 a/c compressors
I ignition switch
1 fuel pump
1 interior door handle assembly
1 rear brake light circuit board
1 power steering pump

To put into perspective, I repaired less stuff on my Land Rover than the Chevy. I both got rid of them at the same 160,000 miles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO

Just no

The engines aren't the issue. It's everything that surrounds them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
What would everyone recommend as a good, solid pre-2000 4WD full-size truck?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]

If you can get an un rusty one, a dodge with the 12 valve and manual tranny would be the best. Anybody that tells you different is a liar.

If a Cummins is unavailable a ford with a manual tranny and a 300 six would be an excellent second choice.  The motors are tanks,  and make great power for an old 6 cylinder, you can get them in 3/4 ton, and the older ford bodies aren't horrible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally, I am pretty partial to the 97-03 F150s, and First Generation Toyota Tundras.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I told you any pre 96 GM truck

Particularily ones with the TBI engines.

Stupid reliable
Easy to fix
Cheap to fix
And the interiors and chassis wear like iron.

They are the ultimate "need reliability for cheap" vehicles

The bodies may look the same but as midcap alludes to GM changed and cheaped out on so many components for the 95+ gmt400 (88-98) trucks I personally avoid them even though the engines have nearly 100hp on the older trucks
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Cheap old Ford f350 with a 7.3 diesel or Dodge 12 valve diesel.

They'll likely have rust but you can always throw a flatbed on it.

Honestly shop around and do a wide internet search, I commonly see nice ones time to time with little rust or new body panels already installed and painted.

Also front fenders etc are cheap to buy if you can do body work, paint.

I never liked many of the 90's gas engines and I've had Dodge 5.9 magnum and also big block Chevy and Ford gassers 7.4 and 7.5 I believe.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stupid reliable
Easy to fix
Cheap to fix

The bodies may look the same but as midcap alludes to GM changed and cheaped out on so many components for the 95+ gmt400 (88-98) trucks I personally avoid them even though the engines have nearly 100hp on the older trucks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid reliable
Easy to fix
Cheap to fix

This is good advice. Mine is a 1991 K1500 extended cab shortbed. It seems to be the most common of that generation of truck out there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Any mid-'90's Ford with the 300 I-6, 302, or 351W will be a very solid truck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Any of the Ford F-150 or F250 trucks from between 1988-1996 were pretty solid trucks. Many were equipped with 4wd, especially the short bed versions. You can find a lot of them with manual and both the 5.0 V8 and the 4.9 6cyl were great engines. The 4.9 is legendary
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#22]
If you can get an un rusty one, a dodge with the 12 valve and manual tranny would be the best. Anybody that tells you different is a liar.
View Quote

Question is, what is the OP willing to spend?  Its getting harder and harder to find decent deals on 12v Cummins anymore, especially ones that aren't high mileage and/or thrashed.   Your options are cheap, low mileage, and not thrashed....but you only get to pick two.  That being said, I wouldn't be that worried about a 200-250k mile 12v with NV4500 5-speed...I'd be more concerned with the truck surrounding it.  Dash will be cracked and broken, interior torn apart, will need ball joints, A/C may or may not work, etc.  Of course, you can find decent lower mileage trucks ('96-'97) in the sub-200k miles range that were well taken care of, but you will be paying a premium (typically $10k+).
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any ford F150 with a 300cid (4.9l) straight six and manual transmission.  The drivetrain will last literally forever, just find one with a halfway decent body and buy it.

ETA: I doubt you'll find one in your area that's not a pile of rust, but the Toyota T100s are fantastic trucks, very solid and reliable, but most who own them keep them until they die.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any ford F150 with a 300cid (4.9l) straight six and manual transmission.  The drivetrain will last literally forever, just find one with a halfway decent body and buy it.

ETA: I doubt you'll find one in your area that's not a pile of rust, but the Toyota T100s are fantastic trucks, very solid and reliable, but most who own them keep them until they die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I daily drive a 94 XLT 4x4 but with the 5.8. Fantastic truck. Plenty of power and one of the better looking body styles IMO. 160k on the odometer and I only paid $2000 for it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#25]
F150 or Toyota T100. My FIL drives a 98 Tahoe. It's been a good truck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought the 97 with the extra cab and the 350. The guy owned it for 16 years and has the full service history. It needs a little rust repair, but otherwise it's in good shape. It rides, shifts, drives nice. The problems mentioned (intake gaskets, injectors, etc.) were already repaired. I have the receipts. I think I did well at $1800.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
It looks good for an old truck, and it only cost $1800 so if its a turd your not out much.

How did it drive going home?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It looks good for an old truck, and it only cost $1800 so if its a turd your not out much.

View Quote
The 50 mile trip was fine. No issues at all.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have tickets on the injectors and intake gaskets that's the two major downfalls of these Taken care of.

It is a good looking truck
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like a great truck for 1800!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
    I'm looking around for an older truck to use for dump runs, going to the range, etc. My price range limits me to 2000 or older trucks. I'd like a pre-96 to avoid the OBD test at inspection time, but so far these older trucks have big rust issues. Aside from rust issues are there any specific truck/engine/transmissions that I should avoid? I've seen a lot of issues with late 90s V6 F150s, so I'll avoid those.
View Quote

Buy a ford with a striaght 6 300
Titan engines are shit in 1996 + ford trucks
The 300 are buet proof
Dont by a dodge chevy gmc
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The 300 are buet proof
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 300 are buet proof

Triton, not Titan...and they are far from shit. The 4.6 and the 5.4, along with the accompanying 6.8 V10, are some of the longest living gas motors made. 300k miles are not at all uncommon with minimal maintenance. I have had Fords with 5.0s, 5.8s, 4.9s, 4.6s, and 5.4s....I like the mod motors better than any of them. The 97-03 body style is one of my favorites....

They do have their own idiosyncrasies, like all motors, but overall, they are very solid. The 4.6 in the Crown Vic police cars are and were legendary. A bit down on power, of course, but when you can wring 250k+ miles out of a cop car with no major engine issues, they are doing something right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]
This truck has 205K, and I'm guessing I'll only put 5 or 6K a year. I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#34]
As for the intake gasket on the 96-98 chevy. I have minimal mechanical ability and found it fairly easy to fix. $100 or so in parts buying the more expensive gasket option.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I never had that leak but I owned a 1997 K1500 and I am very easy on my vehicles. Given that list of crap that needed fixing.

2 transmissions
1 radiator
1 water pump
2 thermostats
2 serpentine belts
1 set of belt pulleys
1 brake booster
1 rear U joint
2 a/c compressors
I ignition switch
1 fuel pump
1 power steering pump

To put into perspective, I repaired less stuff on my Land Rover than the Chevy. I both got rid of them at the same 160,000 miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO

Just no

2 transmissions
1 radiator
1 water pump
2 thermostats
2 serpentine belts
1 set of belt pulleys
1 brake booster
1 rear U joint
2 a/c compressors
I ignition switch
1 fuel pump
1 power steering pump

I have a 96 with the 350 Vortec. I have had to replace pretty much every thing on this list, with the exception of the transmission, ac compressor, and belt pulleys. The

other stuff is fairly inexpensive (if you fix it yourself) and common to replace at 100-150K miles. With that being said mine has almost 300,000 miles on it, and the repair

costs are fairly insignificant when spread over 19 years. I know the 700R4 isn't really anything to right home about, but I never had to replace one. However, I don't do very

much towing, though, and that might be the difference between replacing two transmissions. That could be a deal breaker if you plan to do a lot of towing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top