Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just buy rigid and be done with it.
View Quote

I am normally all about the buy once cry once attitude, but the price on those things is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want a 20" combo. Rigid doesn't make one..
The TonNotch is $249.
The closest that Rigid makes is a 20" spot for $1109.
No way in hell I'm paying that for an led lightbar..
View Quote

I've had a 20" Rigid E series combo LED on my truck for about 3 years.  It works great, I think it was around $650.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've had a 20" Rigid E series combo LED on my truck for about 3 years.  It works great, I think it was around $650.

<a href="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mccullm6/media/2012%20Ford%20Raptor/2012FordRaptorwithperchRPGandRigid022.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mccullm6/2012%20Ford%20Raptor/2012FordRaptorwithperchRPGandRigid022.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a 20" combo. Rigid doesn't make one..
The TonNotch is $249.
The closest that Rigid makes is a 20" spot for $1109.
No way in hell I'm paying that for an led lightbar..

<a href="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mccullm6/media/2012%20Ford%20Raptor/2012FordRaptorwithperchRPGandRigid022.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mccullm6/2012%20Ford%20Raptor/2012FordRaptorwithperchRPGandRigid022.jpg</a>

Damn...   Thats about the best looking mount to a factory bumper Ive seen..

My 20" flood/spot combo was a little over $500.

You could alternatively buy two 10 inch bars and angle them slightly in the oppisite direction.   We run that setup on our racecar,  and it works very nicely.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I used my truck off road a lot I would consider a rigid..but I'm only adding the light bar for extra illumination on the highway at night. I came with in a coat of paint of smoking a moose on the highway last year..
I'm going to try the topnotch and if it craps out..then I'll cry.
View Quote

E series $515 http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-120312-E-Series-Flood/dp/B00GQGWE3S
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I used my truck off road a lot I would consider a rigid..but I'm only adding the light bar for extra illumination on the highway at night. I came with in a coat of paint of smoking a moose on the highway last year..
View Quote

Just remember to turn your LED bar off much earlier when approaching oncoming traffic.  The amount of light a 20" Rigid puts out is blinding.   The stock brights on my car are candles in comparison. You dont even notice any extra light output when turning the brights on with the LED bar turned on.

Also,  not sure about your laws up north,  but the LED light bars might get you a warning or ticket from a bored cop around here.   Ive never had a problem,  though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Order to someone in USA, drive over border, install, drive back.

Freedom!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Apparently they aren't DOT approved. I'm going to wire them into the high beam headlights so when I dim my head lights they will shut off.
Our moose population is growing and almost hitting one at 60 mph with my family in the truck isn't something I want to go through again.
I'll pay a ticket first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember to turn your LED bar off much earlier when approaching oncoming traffic. The amount of light a 20" Rigid puts out is blinding. The stock brights on my car are candles in comparison. You dont even notice any extra light output when turning the brights on with the LED bar turned on.

Also, not sure about your laws up north, but the LED light bars might get you a warning or ticket from a bored cop around here. Ive never had a problem, though.
Apparently they aren't DOT approved. I'm going to wire them into the high beam headlights so when I dim my head lights they will shut off.
Our moose population is growing and almost hitting one at 60 mph with my family in the truck isn't something I want to go through again.
I'll pay a ticket first.

I hear ya.   I wired mine to a seperate switch,  so I can run high beams as intermediate lighting when I first notice an oncoming set of lights from 1/2 a mile or so out.   I also perfer a "warning shot"  for that bastard that refuses to dim his brights.   First comes a warning with the normal high beams and then the LED light bar.   They ALWAYS dim after the LED comes on.

Ive hit two whitetail deer and a coyote in the last 3 years.   Cant imagine a moose.

Ive been running the Rigid for 6 months.   Ive credited it with at least one deer save,  so far.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm seriously considering getting a Genssi light bar.  The reviews are very good, they use 5 watt Cree LEDs instead of the 3 watt used by Rigid and they cost about half as much.  The only negative I've seen so far is the mounts could be better, but I plan to build my own anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a LED bar off of EBay.  Just look for what you want with CREE in the title and you should be reasonably good to go.  

Before at night in CO mountain roads:

After:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a link to a thread I posted a while back on the Raptor forum.  I included comparison pic's and a video to show the OEM high beams vs. the 20" Rigid E series combo LED light bar:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/just-installed-rigid-20-photos-video-light-output-13527/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsGeTLy6u78
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Take this for what it is worth.

I bought 7 lights from a chinese company, total cost about $300, a 30", 2 10" doubles, 2 6 light singles and 2 Wall-E lights for the back.  Same lights from Ridgid are a few $k.  I have run them hard, all over MOAB at night, not a single failure.  I have compared them to Ridgids with a guy who had them and there was no difference.

Also, if I have to replace one down the road?  Id rather spend $50 than $500

Now, all the Ridgid fanboys will come out and say that mine will go out, mine arent as bright, etc.  Well, Its been two years, and two different rigs and so far... NOPE.  Cree bulbs are Cree bulbs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Take this for what it is worth.

I bought 7 lights from a chinese company, total cost about $300, a 30", 2 10" doubles, 2 6 light singles and 2 Wall-E lights for the back.  Same lights from Ridgid are a few $k.  I have run them hard, all over MOAB at night, not a single failure.  I have compared them to Ridgids with a guy who had them and there was no difference.

Also, if I have to replace one down the road?  Id rather spend $50 than $500

Now, all the Ridgid fanboys will come out and say that mine will go out, mine arent as bright, etc.  Well, Its been two years, and two different rigs and so far... NOPE.  Cree bulbs are Cree bulbs.
View Quote

Any chance you got links to the lights?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Try TUFF Led Lights.  I bought a 23" Spot bar with 12 10watt Cree LEDs.  
They have a 22" curved combo for 172.99 on their website.
www.tuffledlights.com

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a 22 inch Cree LED curved light bar. For 190 bucks I couldn't be happier.  

Headlights:

Low beams plus light bar:

The pics of the light bar in action does it no justice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a leveling kit in my truck so flashing the high beams usually gets their attention. If it doesn't..more often then not it's a blue hair in the other car. Lighting them up with LED's would send them into cardiac arrest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Order to someone in USA, drive over border, install, drive back.

Freedom!

that would drive the price up even more.
Quoted:

I hear ya. I wired mine to a seperate switch, so I can run high beams as intermediate lighting when I first notice an oncoming set of lights from 1/2 a mile or so out. I also perfer a "warning shot" for that bastard that refuses to dim his brights. First comes a warning with the normal high beams and then the LED light bar. They ALWAYS dim after the LED comes on.

Ive hit two whitetail deer and a coyote in the last 3 years. Cant imagine a moose.

Ive been running the Rigid for 6 months. Ive credited it with at least one deer save, so far.
I have a leveling kit in my truck so flashing the high beams usually gets their attention. If it doesn't..more often then not it's a blue hair in the other car. Lighting them up with LED's would send them into cardiac arrest.

Yeah.   My bar is mounted low, behind the 200 pound "turns deer into blood spray and gibblets" bumper.    I suppose height makes all the difference in the world. My brights are pathetic too.  Hence the light bar.

We run Rigid in our 24 hour racing series.   Most other teams run a similar setup.   Ive seen my share of oncoming glare of these things.   It wont send you off into the ditch due to temporary blindness,  but it will get your attention.  The Rigid units seem to have more focused light than the competing units,  thus less oncoming glare and more distance.  They also have a tendency not to fail mid race,  so thats a plus!

Using a CREE LED is only a portion of the quality equation.  Quality LED drivers and optics (like the ones on our guns) also greatly affect what you are getting.

The Chinese ones are getting impressive,  though.   I may mount one on the racecar and see how well it holds up to hours of continuous use.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll pay a ticket first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember to turn your LED bar off much earlier when approaching oncoming traffic. The amount of light a 20" Rigid puts out is blinding. The stock brights on my car are candles in comparison. You dont even notice any extra light output when turning the brights on with the LED bar turned on.

Also, not sure about your laws up north, but the LED light bars might get you a warning or ticket from a bored cop around here. Ive never had a problem, though.

I'll pay a ticket first.

I have the Rigid DOT cubes on my XJ, only $250 and you can run with the lows.

Shiet lows on my XJ

Lows with cubes

I run the amber filter in the winter....

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
what series do you compete in? Pics of your truck?
View Quote

Not a truck in the race,  but actually a car.   24 Hours of Lemons.  

Here's a article from Car and Driver with us on the top picture.  Our Opel GT in front of the "MetSHO".  Dont have a pic with the two light bars mounted,  because we dont install them until that last pit stop before dark. Ill try to remember to snap of pic w/ the lights mounted during our next work day in a couple of weeks.

Proper lighting is critical.   You run out of light really quick at triple digit speeds,  approaching some of the tighter turns.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-detroit-day-1-speedycop-civic-metsho-tempo-dmc-12-leading-classes/

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#29]
How is the throw with LED spots?

I need aux lights for deserted highway driving at higher speeds.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

More than you could ever hope for.   Seriously,  distance on a good bar is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

More than you could ever hope for.   Seriously,  distance on a good bar is amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!  Will look into them then!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The light bars are pretty cool but please TURN THEM THE FUCK OFF WHEN THEY ARE NOT NEEDED! I always see some asshole with 2 or 3 of those fucking things turned on in the middle of the day, and they are blinding as fuck!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

that will get me a ticket up here. Mine are going to be wired into my high beam headlights and on a switch. So the only way them can turn on is if my high beams are on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The light bars are pretty cool but please TURN THEM THE FUCK OFF WHEN THEY ARE NOT NEEDED! I always see some asshole with 2 or 3 of those fucking things turned on in the middle of the day, and they are blinding as fuck!
that will get me a ticket up here. Mine are going to be wired into my high beam headlights and on a switch. So the only way them can turn on is if my high beams are on.

Thats how I did mine.  Just wired a relay into the high beams for signal.

On my jetta I am thinking another route for light.  It doesn't have OE fogs and I am planning on getting some HID lights in the size of OE fogs, direct them so they are aimed like high beams and wire them to my high beam switch.  The OE headlights are decent up close but the highs suck for throw.  

Probably going to add a couple of HID lamps for the Cruiser as well.

One problem you are going to run into is frozen road grime and snow.  You will need to clean the LED bar.  It doesn't generate enough heat to melt the snow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#36]
24 hours of lemons is good fun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You currently with a team?   I know a few members on this forum participate/have participated.   Would be cool to meet all of you at an event.

Its like the wackiness I read about with Cola Warrior,  but with cars.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Researching LED bars, I came across a neat test comparing LED, HID, and halogen driving lights.  

Here
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Try TUFF Led Lights.  I bought a 23" Spot bar with 12 10watt Cree LEDs.  
They have a 22" curved combo for 172.99 on their website.
www.tuffledlights.com

View Quote

I have the 4" square tuff led lights, for the price vs the ridgid they are incredible. Just wish they made the yellow covers like the ridgid ones have.

Got them for the deer and hooked up to highs also haha
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You currently with a team?  I know a few members on this forum participate/have participated.   Would be cool to meet all of you at an event.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You currently with a team?  I know a few members on this forum participate/have participated.   Would be cool to meet all of you at an event.

I am not.  I did it when I was living in CA.  I'm now on the East Coast.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Researching LED bars, I came across a neat test comparing LED, HID, and halogen driving lights.  

Here
View Quote

LED are good out to maybe 200m but figure 100m at best for clarity.  For throw you still need HID.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LED are good out to maybe 200m but figure 100m at best for clarity.  For throw you still need HID.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Not if you buy expensive shit... Well, it's not like Lightforce's HIDs are cheap, but their new LEDs are nuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7BpGd4Ijo

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#45]
A word of caution to you guys installing these things. Be careful that your light bar isn't putting out a ton of near field light. You want the light projected out, NOT lighting up the ground and objects right in front of your vehicle. (Even though lighting up close objects gives you the "damn that's bright" initial impression)
The reason is that your dark-adjusted eyes will adjust to the brighter near-field light, and you'll actually not be able to perceive far away objects as well. Basically, more light by itself doesn't mean you'll be able to see farther away at night. The light distribution pattern matters too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A word of caution to you guys installing these things. Be careful that your light bar isn't putting out a ton of near field light. You want the light projected out, NOT lighting up the ground and objects right in front of your vehicle. (Even though lighting up close objects gives you the "damn that's bright" initial impression)
The reason is that your dark-adjusted eyes will adjust to the brighter near-field light, and you'll actually not be able to perceive far away objects as well. Basically, more light by itself doesn't mean you'll be able to see farther away at night. The light distribution pattern matters too.

View Quote

Good post kilroy and good info.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
For my use, I want as wide of a spread as possible. I don't care what's 300 meters in front of me (can't see it over the hills anyway). I need to be able to see the trail as it makes a 160 degree turn on slick rock,  or the herd of elk trotting just off the side of the road 50 meters ahead.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

For my use, I want as wide of a spread as possible. I don't care what's 300 meters in front of me (can't see it over the hills anyway). I need to be able to see the trail as it makes a 160 degree turn on slick rock,  or the herd of elk trotting just off the side of the road 50 meters ahead.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

80% of the time here in CO mountain roads absolutely. Every once and a while I would like a bit more distance.  Going to ad HIDs to my set up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top