Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 8:54:17 AM EDT
I'm posting this here hoping to avoid the tomfoolery, brand bashing, and pointless responses that can easily be found in GD and I kindly ask that you not post If you don't have anything to add aside from "Get a Ford" or "Dodge sucks" or "Stay away from Obama Motors.". (And for the record, yes, I'm looking on my own, know how to use google and such but there's a wealth of knowledge here and I'm asking you to help me. Please. I'm hoping that my caveat is not taken offensively and isn't considered as harsh. Having said that, here's my post:

The time is coming to replace my wife's (no pics) 2007 Murano. It's been a good vehicle, has 150,000+ miles on it and just got a new transmission. Aside from that, there haven't really been any problems with it. We're going to keep it in the family and get something newish. What she wants is a Cadillac CTS Coupe and I'm ok with getting her one but she's short 5'2" and feels the need for another SUV. So we're casting about and looking to see what's out there

We're not looking to get an SUV smaller than what she already has and matter of fact, we're wanting one that's just a little bit larger internally. Please don't recommend a newer Murano. We've already looked at those and have spoken with a few owners of the newer designed models and they're telling us that the new Murano is actually smaller inside than the model we have now... so that's out.

We're looking for something that gets slightly better gas mileage than the 22MPG she's averaging now. There's no budget set at the moment but I'm thinking if it crosses above $25-30k then we'll be looking at used instead of new. We're definitely not looking to spend $40-50k on an SUV...

She said she wants it "loaded"... I know that at least means leather seats (we like leather seats better than cloth).

One thing it MUST have is an easy to open rear lift gate. Electronically assisted or auto opening would be a bonus because she's struggling to open the rear gate on her Murano on regular basis.

We're not wedded to one brand and are willing to consider almost any brand and model as long as it's a little larger than her Murano and gets better mileage. Personally, I'd like to get her a newer model Armada but I'm thinking it's a tad large and the mileage isn't good.

The main reason we're looking at an SUV again instead of a sedan or coupe (even though our kids are starting to move out of the house and on their own) is because we'll need to move a paraplegic and his wheelchair around occasionally when my wife's (no pics) daughter (no pics) isn't able to drive him around...

Can y'all help? Please?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A Murano is not an SUV.  A cross-over would be a more appropriate term.

That being said my wife has a Kia Sorrento and we really like it.  Great engine and transmission offering.  The new 2016s are even better/nicer than our 2013.  I do not know if they have a power rear door option, you would have to check.

We average 24-25 mpg with mixed driving, that is with the V6 option.  Beyond the excellent crash rating, we decided on the Sorrento because of the optional 3rd row seat (perfect for kids).
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
4-Runner?

I am not sure if it will meet your MPG criteria though. It will make up for it in reliability and resale value though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

4-Runner?

I am not sure if it will meet your MPG criteria though. It will make up for it in reliability and resale value though.
View Quote
Rav4 would on the mpg.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the new Jeep Cherokee.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Murano, but have always had Tahoe/Surburban/FS trucks. I would buy a Acura MDX AWD or such.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't consider the Murano a CUV... I know it's not an actual SUV but it's definitely more SUV than the CUV's out now that are more of a sedan with a bit more headroom and space for a basketball behind the rearmost seats.

We aren't opposed to looking at Kia. They've really stepped up their game in the last few years.

4runner... not sure about it. Sure, the resale would be nice to have but we tend to keep our vehicles until they're about dead and have close to 200,000 miles on them.

Rav 4. Not sure about. Aren't they the same size or smaller than the Murano?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't consider the Murano a CUV... I know it's not an actual SUV but it's definitely more SUV than the CUV's out now that are more of a sedan with a bit more headroom and space for a basketball behind the rearmost seats.

We aren't opposed to looking at Kia. They've really stepped up their game in the last few years.

4runner... not sure about it. Sure, the resale would be nice to have but we tend to keep our vehicles until they're about dead and have close to 200,000 miles on them.

Rav 4. Not sure about. Aren't they the same size or smaller than the Murano?
View Quote

Tag for interest...I'm not sure about Nissan and Kia....I want something with 4wd...I would consider a Crossover for better gas mileage but want something that is fairly easy to work on. I don't want a $800 bill because it has to go to a shop to change spark plugs, water pumps or belts....

I've had good luck with Mazda so I was thinking of looking around for a CX series but I would consider a Tribute too...

But also Honda CRV, Ford Escape...something along those lines...

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take a look at the new Jeep Cherokee.
View Quote

I would have mentioned that, but the OP says he wanted something with more interior room. The new Cherokee has less storage space. ( I own one )
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold my 13 loaded up ford edge after upgrading. Great on ice and snow roads with AWD and it had the appearance package so 20" black wheels painted moldings etc.  

I had it for 60k without issue and just needed more room. Not a single issue
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm posting this here hoping to avoid the tomfoolery, brand bashing, and pointless responses that can easily be found in GD and I kindly ask that you not post If you don't have anything to add aside from "Get a Ford" or "Dodge sucks" or "Stay away from Obama Motors.". (And for the record, yes, I'm looking on my own, know how to use google and such but there's a wealth of knowledge here and I'm asking you to help me. Please. I'm hoping that my caveat is not taken offensively and isn't considered as harsh. Having said that, here's my post:

The time is coming to replace my wife's (no pics) 2007 Murano. It's been a good vehicle, has 150,000+ miles on it and just got a new transmission. Aside from that, there haven't really been any problems with it. We're going to keep it in the family and get something newish. What she wants is a Cadillac CTS Coupe and I'm ok with getting her one but she's short 5'2" and feels the need for another SUV. So we're casting about and looking to see what's out there

We're not looking to get an SUV smaller than what she already has and matter of fact, we're wanting one that's just a little bit larger internally. Please don't recommend a newer Murano. We've already looked at those and have spoken with a few owners of the newer designed models and they're telling us that the new Murano is actually smaller inside than the model we have now... so that's out.

We're looking for something that gets slightly better gas mileage than the 22MPG she's averaging now. There's no budget set at the moment but I'm thinking if it crosses above $25-30k then we'll be looking at used instead of new. We're definitely not looking to spend $40-50k on an SUV...

She said she wants it "loaded"... I know that at least means leather seats (we like leather seats better than cloth).

One thing it MUST have is an easy to open rear lift gate. Electronically assisted or auto opening would be a bonus because she's struggling to open the rear gate on her Murano on regular basis.

We're not wedded to one brand and are willing to consider almost any brand and model as long as it's a little larger than her Murano and gets better mileage. Personally, I'd like to get her a newer model Armada but I'm thinking it's a tad large and the mileage isn't good.

The main reason we're looking at an SUV again instead of a sedan or coupe (even though our kids are starting to move out of the house and on their own) is because we'll need to move a paraplegic and his wheelchair around occasionally when my wife's (no pics) daughter (no pics) isn't able to drive him around...

Can y'all help? Please?
View Quote

This is your biggest problem.  You want a vehicle larger than the one you have now, but is more fuel efficient.

If you are looking for both more cargo and passenger space along with better fueleconomy then you are unlikely to find what you seek.

The murano measurements could find: (17 mpg city, 23 mpg highway)

Passenger Volume 110 cu.ft. passenger volume
Interior Cargo Volume 32.6 cu.ft. interior cargo volume
Interior Cargo Volume w/Seats Folded 81.6 cu.ft. interior cargo volume w/seats folded

The only comparable vehicles  with better fuel economy are:

2015 Ford Edge with the turbo 4 cylinder engine: (AWD: 20 city/28 hwy/23 combined mpg)

Passenger Volume [cu. ft.] 113,9
Cargo Volume Behind First Row [cu. ft.] 73,4
Cargo Volume Behind Second Row [cu. ft.] 39,2

And the 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R (6 cylinder is necessary if you want comparable acceleration to your murano)   (20 mpg city, 27 mpg highway)

Passenger volume
108.1 cubic feet (with available moonroof: 104.5 cubic feet)
Cargo volume
35.5 cubic feet
Maximum cargo volume
73.3 cubic feet with rear seat lowered

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all! These are the kinds of responses I was looking for. Especially about the new Jeep Cherokee and how it's smaller inside. My wife had one several years ago before I met her and she mentioned that she'd like to take a look at another. If it's smaller inside, then it's most likely going to be off of our list to look at.

We are downsizing our family but still have a need for space. Thankfully, we won't be towing anything with the SUV because we've got a truck for that. Mileage is kind of my thing and while I'd rather get something more fuel efficient, whatever we get has got to be more fuel efficient than out Titan. That thing is a gas sucking pig when it's towing. It can get 20 on the highway but still... that engine is thirsty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you all! These are the kinds of responses I was looking for. Especially about the new Jeep Cherokee and how it's smaller inside. My wife had one several years ago before I met her and she mentioned that she'd like to take a look at another. If it's smaller inside, then it's most likely going to be off of our list to look at.

We are downsizing our family but still have a need for space. Thankfully, we won't be towing anything with the SUV because we've got a truck for that. Mileage is kind of my thing and while I'd rather get something more fuel efficient, whatever we get has got to be more fuel efficient than out Titan. That thing is a gas sucking pig when it's towing. It can get 20 on the highway but still... that engine is thirsty.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong about the new Cherokee. I love mine. With the V6, tow package, and AD1 I got 28 MPG on my road trip from Missouri to Florida ( 1230 miles each way ). For me it has plenty of room ( legroom and storage ). The back seat is not a full bench, so you can put down either side or both, depending on your situation. The front passenger seat folds flat as well. Are you looking for more storage space or legroom space, when you are saying you're looking for room?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Hyundai Santa Fe

AWD available
Good mileage
Good power
Excellent comfort
Excellent interior room
Easy on maintenance
Etc
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Drove a 2012 rav4 today. They were trying to get me to pull the trigger on it but I walked. It says 4wd on the back but it's more of a front/awd system. Coupled with a 4 banger and no trailer hitch told me that it wasn't quite what I want.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
In my world SUVs are Tahoe/Suburbans, trucks are Silverados, and everything else is a car.

I'm no help because my only tool is a hammer....
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
How about a Ford Flex . I have met several owners and almost to a person they love them
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In my world SUVs are Tahoe/Suburbans, trucks are Silverados, and everything else is a car.

I'm no help because my only tool is a hammer....
View Quote

Gas mileage could be an issue for some of us.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Brand new rav4 is in your budget and there is more interior room than our 2002 highlander.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Rav4 would on the mpg.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

4-Runner?

Rav4 would on the mpg.  

Yeah.  I know people with newer 4Runners, RAV4s, and Highlanders who are all really happy with them.  The Highlander is actually pretty awesome even though I've never liked the AWD, light duty type SUVs.  It's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My daughter and son in law just picked up a chevy traverse. I was impressed with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
2015 Subaru Outbacks are combing with power lift gates.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Mazda CX5
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Lotta Dodge haters on the forum, but I'm gonna throw a vote for the new Durango.  I'm ready to receive my lashings.  

For reference, we came from a base model 2006 Saturn Vue FWD, 4-cyl.  Dead nuts reliable in the 100k miles we drove it; not a single problem.  

We bought a 2014 Durango Limited AWD w/Premium Package (V6 engine) this last Fall.  Absolutely love it.  It has all the bells and whistles (power lift gate, NAV, leather, heated front/2nd row seats, power driver/pax seats, back-up camera and rear parking sensors, moonroof, XM, etc.) and is really comfortable and fun to drive.  

We looked at a lot of other options before deciding on the Durango:

- 4Runner (can't fit a taller adult in the 3rd row at all), poor MPG, ride quality was "ok," but not really built for the road so much.

- Exploder  (Need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the radio/climate/technology interface)  

- Santa Fe (really nice, but felt a little small)

- Pathfinder (not crazy about the CVT)

- Flex (meh)

- Dodge Journey (very small, 3rd row barely usable)

- Honda Pilot = cereal box.  YMMV

I really wanted a 4Runner, but didn't feel good about spending that much on a Limited (to get comparable to our D's trim) and not being able to fully use the 3rd row, if needed, and we wouldn't be doing any off-road stuff much at all, if ever, so I thought that was overkill.  The 4Runner Limited had the "better," IMHO, drive system than the SR5 though...sounds to me more like a full-time AWD and selectable 4WD system whereas the SR5 I think was more full-time 2WD and you had to select 4WD.  I didn't want my wife to have the hassle in the SR5, so the Limited trim is what we would've needed.  The Limited 4Runner and the Durango we bought were fairly close in price at that point, and the Durango was just a better fit for us.

Regarding the 3rd row, we are a family of four, so we don't need the 3rd row day-to-day, but we wanted it for the utility and we have certainly filled the seats many times.  I'm 6' tall and can comfortably fit in the 3rd row if I had to.  The Explorer and Pathfinder were the only other two that I could do the same, I think.  

The warranty is 2nd only to the Santa Fe/Sorento (I believe, correct me if wrong).  Those have 10 yr /100,000 mile powertrain vs the 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain on the Durango.  B2B I think are 3yr/36k on each...  I forget my research at this point.  

MPG is all relatively consistent between all the models we looked at, except the 4Runner which was the lowest of the pack.  We got the 6 cyl engine, but a V8 is available with a loss of a little MPG..., but the website says tow capacity is 7400 lb (I think that might be the V8).

We've had our first few snows this year and the Durango has been awesome through it all!  I went out to the store around 11pm for bacon while it was snowing heavily, just because I wanted to drive it in the snow.  

We've only had it for 5000 miles, so I can't attest to long-term reliability.  We all know Dodge has a history of crap transmissions.  I have a 2001 Dakota out front that's proof of that, among other things, but I have read a lot of really good reviews on the Durango (consumer) and it got high marks.  We went ahead and bought a 10 yr/100,000 B2B warranty as well for extra peace of mind.  It didn't cost a whole lot extra and now we can drive the 10 yrs we expect to own it with a completely covered vehicle.

By far, the best thing about the Durango? When you're letting the kids ride in the 3rd row and they're pissing you off, you press a little touch screen button and WHACK!, the headrests flip down and knock them on the head, lol. Ahhh...it's the little things in life.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lotta Dodge haters on the forum, but I'm gonna throw a vote for the new Durango.  I'm ready to receive my lashings.  

For reference, we came from a base model 2006 Saturn Vue FWD, 4-cyl.  Dead nuts reliable in the 100k miles we drove it; not a single problem.  

We bought a 2014 Durango Limited AWD w/Premium Package (V6 engine) this last Fall.  Absolutely love it.  It has all the bells and whistles (power lift gate, NAV, leather, heated front/2nd row seats, power driver/pax seats, back-up camera and rear parking sensors, moonroof, XM, etc.) and is really comfortable and fun to drive.  

- 4Runner (can't fit a taller adult in the 3rd row at all), poor MPG, ride quality was "ok," but not really built for the road so much.
- Exploder  (Need to be a rocket scientist to figure out the radio/climate/technology interface)  
- Flex (meh)

I really wanted a 4Runner, but didn't feel good about spending that much on a Limited (to get comparable to our D's trim) and not being able to fully use the 3rd row, if needed, and we wouldn't be doing any off-road stuff much at all, if ever, so I thought that was overkill.  The 4Runner Limited had the "better," IMHO, drive system than the SR5 though...sounds to me more like a full-time AWD and selectable 4WD system whereas the SR5 I think was more full-time 2WD and you had to select 4WD.  I didn't want my wife to have the hassle in the SR5, so the Limited trim is what we would've needed.  The Limited 4Runner and the Durango we bought were fairly close in price at that point, and the Durango was just a better fit for us.

Regarding the 3rd row, we are a family of four, so we don't need the 3rd row day-to-day, but we wanted it for the utility and we have certainly filled the seats many times.  I'm 6' tall and can comfortably fit in the 3rd row if I had to.  The Explorer and Pathfinder were the only other two that I could do the same, I think.  

The warranty is 2nd only to the Santa Fe/Sorento (I believe, correct me if wrong).  Those have 10 yr /100,000 mile powertrain vs the 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain on the Durango.  B2B I think are 3yr/36k on each...  I forget my research at this point.  

MPG is all relatively consistent between all the models we looked at, except the 4Runner which was the lowest of the pack.  We got the 6 cyl engine, but a V8 is available with a loss of a little MPG..., but the website says tow capacity is 7400 lb (I think that might be the V8).

We've had our first few snows this year and the Durango has been awesome through it all!  I went out to the store around 11pm for bacon while it was snowing heavily, just because I wanted to drive it in the snow.  

We've only had it for 5000 miles, so I can't attest to long-term reliability.  We all know Dodge has a history of crap transmissions.  I have a 2001 Dakota out front that's proof of that, among other things, but I have read a lot of really good reviews on the Durango (consumer) and it got high marks.  We went ahead and bought a 10 yr/100,000 B2B warranty as well for extra peace of mind.  It didn't cost a whole lot extra and now we can drive the 10 yrs we expect to own it with a completely covered vehicle.

By far, the best thing about the Durango? When you're letting the kids ride in the 3rd row and they're pissing you off, you press a little touch screen button and WHACK!, the headrests flip down and knock them on the head, lol. Ahhh...it's the little things in life.  
View Quote

You made your comparison against the 4runner but not the highlander?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- Flex (meh)

Yeah, wife didn't like the styling on the interior of the Highlander so it didn't make it far on the list.  Definitely more apples to apples than the 4Runner is, yes.  I was just giving the rundown of the two we actually did look at closest.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I've seen recommendations for the Edge and Flex.....why not the explorer?

Tons of tech in the car, and the 13/14 models with sync are all squared away.

AWD, great storage, good motor options, proven platform.

14 Sport owner, absolutely love it.  You can open and close the liftgate from the keyfob.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top