Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2015 8:45:12 AM EDT
Gents,

I'm looking for the differences in the various ZF5 transmissions (4WD).

I'm familiar with chevrolets, where you only need a different bellhousing/flywheel to switch from small block to big block.

Are the ZF5 transmissions themselves different between SB and BB?

Or will I only need a bell housing to fit my motor?

Are there a bunch of different sized input shafts?

Any major differences between transmissions that fit behind gas and diesel?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Small block are internal slave, wide ratio.

Big block gas is external slave wide ratio

Diesel is external slave close ratio.

All different bolt patters/ starter position.

96 they got internal upgrades and name change to ZF47.

If you find a small block 4x4 trans I.M. me. Ive been looking for years.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I had was behind a 351 Windsor in a 2wd and had an internal slave.  Tough Transmission. I

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I ended up going with an NP435, I bought an entire donor truck today to do a swap. Gas mileage will suck, but 6.68:1 is no joke.

Donor truck - 86 F250, 351 / NP435 / BW1345.

Not sure the axle ratio, if it's 4.10/4.11 I may keep the 10.25 for a later swap.

I'm really excited about getting the pedal assembly, crossmember, linkage, floorpan, etc all in one shot.

Only thing I'll need is a big block bell housing, a 460 flywheel, and a clutch kit.

Oh, and time

This is going into my 91 F350 crew cab, 460. Currently there's an E4OD / BW 1356.

Any tips on which transfer case to use when I reassemble everything? From what I can tell, the 1356 is marginally stronger, but doesn't have quite the low range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
That's gonna be a hoss.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
With the 460's torque a wide ratio isn't really necessary, but I don't think you get that nice low reverse gear that's so good for backing trailers with a 445.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top