Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 11:03:52 PM EDT
I'm 6'5 and will be driving 100+ miles a day on my commute.  I want a second vehicle so I'm not putting miles on my 2014 F-250 diesel.  I'd like to keep the price under $10k, but have a little wiggle room.  Originally I looked at Honda Fits, but I actually don't fit in them as well as they lead you to believe.  The Honda Civic is ok, but not great.  I sat in a 2014 Kia Soul with under 20k miles that I could potentially get for $13.5k, but I'd like something cheaper that gets a little better gas mileage.  What do folks think about the Nissan Versas?  I've previously owned a Sentra and lean towards a hatchback, to be honest.  If budget were not a factor, I'd be hunting for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid.  How much room does the Prius have?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Chevy Sonic for work and don't mind driving it. I am 6'5" as well. I don't really think I would be wanting to do 100 mile commutes in one though, let alone any econo- box.

Maybe rent one your are thinking of buying for a week to try it out

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 6'6" and drove a 2011 cruze till my wife totaled it last month.

I didn't even need to put the seat all the way back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm 6'5 and will be driving 100+ miles a day on my commute.  I want a second vehicle so I'm not putting miles on my 2014 F-250 diesel.  I'd like to keep the price under $10k, but have a little wiggle room.  Originally I looked at Honda Fits, but I actually don't fit in them as well as they lead you to believe.  The Honda Civic is ok, but not great.  I sat in a 2014 Kia Soul with under 20k miles that I could potentially get for $13.5k, but I'd like something cheaper that gets a little better gas mileage.  What do folks think about the Nissan Versas?  I've previously owned a Sentra and lean towards a hatchback, to be honest.  If budget were not a factor, I'd be hunting for a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid.  How much room does the Prius have?
View Quote

Perhaps a 2003-2008 Toyota corolla or 2005-2006 Toyota camry?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit: My bad missed the part about already looking at the Fit since I haven't had coffee yet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My best friend is 6' 3" and he drives a Toyota Yaris. It's a subcompact, but it's got a lot of room for the driver. He likes it a lot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Mini Cooper
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with a used Camry/accord/fusion or some other mid size. Econoboxes are loud and uncomfortable on the interstate. I had an 08 Prius for awhile, and it got great mileage, but the seat was uncomfortable and it was very loud.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Used TDI Jetta, Golf, or Passat. All are surprisingly roomy and get 40+ mpg.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm 6'7" and fit in my friends Ford Focus pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Did they change the Cruze between '11 & '14?  I'm 6'4" and put the seat all the way back in a '14 - the B pillar is a PITA & the back seat is useless for a passenger.

For that much time in the car I'd be looking for something comfortable & quiet - two things most economy cars aren't.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I drive a Jetta and I am 6'-4" 260lbs. I am comfortable in it and do 6-7 hour drives.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did they change the Cruze between '11 & '14?  I'm 6'4" and put the seat all the way back in a '14 - the B pillar is a PITA & the back seat is useless for a passenger.

For that much time in the car I'd be looking for something comfortable & quiet - two things most economy cars aren't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No changes.  I've driven over 500 miles in a day in the Cruze and it was quite comfortable.  Yes the back seat is mostly useless, but as a commuter car, it works quite well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd go with a used Camry/accord/fusion or some other mid size. Econoboxes are loud and uncomfortable on the interstate. I had an 08 Prius for awhile, and it got great mileage, but the seat was uncomfortable and it was very loud.
View Quote

07 Camry for the win.   Im 6'3 and have no problem fitting comfortably.

Econoboxes suck for long commutes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No changes.  I've driven over 500 miles in a day in the Cruze and it was quite comfortable.  Yes the back seat is mostly useless, but as a commuter car, it works quite well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driving the Cruze is fine - getting in/out around the B pillar is a PITA.  Looking to the left and seeing nothing but the pillar sucks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you taller in your legs or your torso?  It makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to suggest a Cruze as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Buddy of mine just bought a Cobalt because he has your issue. He is about 6'4" or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Im 6'4 and driving my wifes old 03 Accord to save the miles on my truck. Its plenty comfy. Not fun to drive or look at, but it gets mid 20's mpg and initial cost is relatively low with good longevity.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Driving the Cruze is fine - getting in/out around the B pillar is a PITA.  Looking to the left and seeing nothing but the pillar sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alot of new cars are like that.   Thicker A,  B,  and C pillars.   Got to stuff those curtian airbags somewhere.   Also larger for side impact and rollover protection.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
honda accord?

I'm 6'3" and have always had good luck with space in a Honda.  Not great, but workable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
For 100+ miles in the car every day, I'd suggest looking at a midsize sedan.  2012+ Camry is the easy answer IMO.  I'm 6'4" and fit fine in my last rental camry.  Can be had for ~$13k if you look around.  Just lots more room, and somewhat more refinement than the compact cars.  Maybe a '12+ Passat too?  Probably not as reliable, but tons of room.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Alot of new cars are like that.   Thicker A,  B,  and C pillars.   Got to stuff those curtian airbags somewhere.   Also larger for side impact and rollover protection.
View Quote

I understand that - and it's a small car issue.  I get to drive new Explorers, Grand Cherokees & bigger sedans and don't have an issue with the B pillars.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Try a Scion xA or xD

Very roomy inside.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm 6'4" and just to be different..I'm going to suggest an early model colorado or canyon. I had an 06 colorado and it was possible to put the seat back to far. I found it very comfortable to drive and if you picked up a 4 cyl standard mileage would be good.
View Quote

I used to own a Porsche 944 and later owned a 944 Turbo.  Both cars had an abundance of legroom. Still, I want a daily driver that gets above 30 (preferably 35) mpg.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This. I drive a Jetta and I am 6'-4" 260lbs. I am comfortable in it and do 6-7 hour drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I drive a 2012 VW GTI and it's got gobs of room inside. People are always surprised just how roomy the car is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#27]
It pwuld bne helpful;t o know which of you 6'4" people are atcually 6'4" and which of you are arelaly 6'1"
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It pwuld bne helpful;t o know which of you 6'4" people are atcually 6'4" and which of you are arelaly 6'1"
View Quote

I'm closer to 6'6 or 6'6.5" with boots on...
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

6'4" in bare feet - got plenty of medical charts to prove it
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol....  This isn't GD.  We don't need to stretch the truth on how tall we are.  I am an honest 6'6", (inseam of 37""), without my boots and as I stated, comfortably drove my Cruze for 3.5 years.  I actually have an extra vertebrae....
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Any thread that has "tall driver" in the title is going to pre-select for certain posters.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
A coworker has a 2005 VW Beetle Convertible with 49k... asking  $7400.

I'm going to sit in it tomorrow to see how I fit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A coworker has a 2005 VW Beetle Convertible with 49k... asking  $7400.

I'm going to sit in it tomorrow to see how I fit.
View Quote

Wear a tall hat and bring a booster seat. You'll still have room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top