Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 6:37:06 PM EDT
I have a 2014 explorer sport, and the vehicle calls for 255/50/20 tires.

I am looking for recommendations for a decent all season tire.  Roads are well maintained around here, so even when snow comes its rarely a problem.  I also used to drive RWD vehicles in 2 inches of snow and never had an issue.

I'm concerned mostly with road noise, and would like decent handling since its a pretty damn nice road-going SUV (type).

Not concerned one bit with offroading, its a essentially a crossover and I'll never take it off roading.  

Tires I'm looking at;

Yokohama parada X spec
Nitto NT 421Q
Nitto NT 420S
Yokohama YK580
Pirelli Scopion Verde

Those seem to be the options for that tire size that are at or under 200 a tire, which is where I'd like to stay.

I have Hankook Optimo 426's on there, one came from Ford with a shifted belt and the car pulls left when its on the front....much less noticeable on the rear but still noticeable.  Of course Ford techs have driven it and said "not a problem, not pulling for us".....typical dealership bullshit.  In short, they're garbage and I want them off the car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 420s nittos 285-50-20 only have a few hundred miles on them and they are decent on dry and wet roads even got ok traction in light mud and dirt roads not a winter tire for the north anyways, maybe a southern snow amount. took a nail to one over the summer . Id sell them the 3 good ones to ya cheap if they would fit and you were closer haha.

These are the 420s

Have you looked at the toyo open country a / t  That's the tire I'll be running soon for an all season tire here in maine Im tired of swapping out wheels every spring / fall.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a set of the Yokohama YK580 tires on my wife's Ford Edge because they were the cheapest option at the time and I regret it.  The have worn very quickly and are not good in the wet.  If I go Yokohama again it will be the EnVigor (sp?).  They are what we had last and they did quite well EXCEPT in the snow.  As an added bonus, they are made in America vs. China with the YK580.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bridgestone or Michelin.

Those are the only two brands I run on anything, car or truck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put a set of the Yokohama YK580 tires on my wife's Ford Edge because they were the cheapest option at the time and I regret it.  The have worn very quickly and are not good in the wet.  If I go Yokohama again it will be the EnVigor (sp?).  They are what we had last and they did quite well EXCEPT in the snow.  As an added bonus, they are made in America vs. China with the YK580.
View Quote

The 580 is made only for Discount Tire and according to Yokohama is made with orange oil . Not sure what to think of that . I am driving on Michelins . I have worn out lots of Bridgestones since I used to be a fleet on a national account . They have been a mixed bag some great , some average and one set that sucked in the rain
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Those pirelli tires are terrible.  Came on my F150.  I'd highly recommend the cooper AT3's but they don't make them in your size for a 20in wheel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe my next truck tires for my truck will be Cooper AT3s.  I like the looks and they get great reviews.  They are also pretty decently priced....and I believe they are made in the US.  

We put Cooper HTs on my wife's Highlander.  We really like them.  Very quiet and smooth running.  Also they offer good traction in a wide variety of conditions.  Not sure if they make them in your size though......

I have Michelin tires on one of my trucks.  I got a VERY good deal on them because they were closeouts at Sears.  They have been great tires and I do love Michelin tires.  However, they are SO expensive.  

I think Cooper tires offer the ideal combo of price vs value.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Michelin.  Accept no substitutes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I believe my next truck tires for my truck will be Cooper AT3s.  I like the looks and they get great reviews.  They are also pretty decently priced....and I believe they are made in the US.  
View Quote

+1  Have them on 3 vehicles, 2 mine and one my dad's.   They are the best At tires I have used.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Adding this tire to the list since its the only bridgestone that meets the price requirement.....

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

The Yokohama listed above and the Nittos are still a possibility.  I've eliminated 2 of them based on feedback.  Thanks guy!

Unfortunately most michelins and bridgestones in this size are 330+ per tire
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We put Cooper HTs on my wife's Highlander.  We really like them.  Very quiet and smooth running.  Also they offer good traction in a wide variety of conditions.  Not sure if they make them in your size though......

I have Michelin tires on one of my trucks.  I got a VERY good deal on them because they were closeouts at Sears.  They have been great tires and I do love Michelin tires.  However, they are SO expensive.  

View Quote

You won't be disappointed in the AT3s, love them on the street in the snow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Adding this tire to the list since its the only bridgestone that meets the price requirement.....

The Yokohama listed above and the Nittos are still a possibility.  I've eliminated 2 of them based on feedback.  Thanks guy!

View Quote

I have those on both my Frontiers and my company JGC.  Love 'em.

Not noisy and good traction, dry, wet, and dirt, wet or dry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

had a couple sets on the wifes Pilot. not a bad tire. running Firestone Destinations right now which is very comparable.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
I out a set in my f-150. I love them. Great faction in the rain, off road in the pasture and very quiet at hwy speed.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Michelin.  Accept no substitutes.
View Quote

I'd disagree. I'm not sure if their truck tires are different from passenger car tires but the past 2 sets on my wife's Camry have been shit. Both rated at 90,000; We got 50,000 out of the first set and only 30,000 out of the second. We switched to Firestone after that. This was last year.

FWIW I have Cooper AT3s on my F150 and love them. Too bad they don't have them in your size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top