Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2015 12:54:00 PM EDT
The front wheels on my car are filthy - brake dust I assume as the back wheels aren't as bad.

Can anyone recommend a good wheel cleaner that they favor.  I did a Youtube search and got a myriad of hits so looking for some personal recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming your wheels are painted, use car wash soap.  Treat the same as body paint, including paint polish and wax.

If that doesn't work, then you have paint damage and need to perform paint correction.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They are alloy wheels.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If they are clear coated, you can use a acid based wheel cleaner, NAPA sells it by the gallon and works great at removing nasty brake dust
http://napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=MCR1478_0410678681
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are alloy wheels.
View Quote

Yes, but they are either powder coated or otherwise painted.  You treat like the rest of the paint on your car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
There's only one answer and it's currently on sale:

Sonax plus

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sonax plus

View Quote

It's available on Amazon for slightly more but eligible for prime.

I have used Sonax Full Effect (weaker formula?) and had good results.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sonax plus

From what I have found the plus is better than the full effect.
It's a bit more aggressive but more importantly its more gel like so it sticks to the wheels better so it can do its magic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:50:37 AM EDT
[#8]
break cleaner?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
for the most part soap/water and elbow grease  gets it done.  But I'm also the type that once a year I'll take the wheels off the car, clean the piss out of them (including clay bar) and wax them.  Yes....wax.  makes cleaning them a lot easier. As long as u keep up on it.  If u just clean u vehicle once every 3 months or once the wheels are black, disregard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Do any of these stain the driveway?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The front wheels on my car are filthy - brake dust I assume as the back wheels aren't as bad.

Can anyone recommend a good wheel cleaner that they favor.  I did a Youtube search and got a myriad of hits so looking for some personal recommendations.
View Quote

This is well reviewed: (Eagle One A2Z All Wheel and Tire Cleaner)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/eagle-one-a2z-all-wheel-and-tire-cleaner-23-oz.-824331/7030001-P?navigationPath=L1*14919|L2*14989#fragment-1

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Once you get them clean think about coating them. Hydro2 is the easiest way, spray on coating, wait 30 sec, blast off with water........
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I will third the sonax vote.

I used full effect. Haven't tried plus yet. But that stuff is fantastic. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then spray it off with a good high pressure stream. Comes right off. Might have one or two spots to touch up with a rag or brush, but that spray gets 95% of the crud
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top