Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To summarize what I need to finish this D30 and get it under the truck:

Calipers, pads, and rotors; UCA and LCA bushings, both fore and aft; at minimum some axle seals and Spicer 5-760X joints; several cans of primer and wrinkle black paint; new gear oil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
Thanks for the advice. Maybe for now I'll just go with some factory replacement bushings.  The red Jeep is officially gone!  Kars4Kids should be renamed "Doorside Garbage Pickup" Not too bad of a turnaround, I think this took me just a hair under a month from acquisition to scrapping.

http://i.imgur.com/1pZsLJl.jpg
View Quote

I like your style...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Calipers, pads, and rotors; UCA and LCA bushings, both fore and aft; at minimum some axle seals and Spicer 5-760X joints; several cans of primer and wrinkle black paint; new gear oil.
View Quote

Once you nail down your rotor/caliper combo, I would highly suggest Black Magic brake pads. http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com

Run those, and you will never go back to part store pads.

Nick

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Carnage! This was the inside of the 4.0L I pulled out of the part's Jeep.

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Once you nail down your rotor/caliper combo, I would highly suggest Black Magic brake pads. http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com

Nick

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nick

I've had really good experiences with the Stoptech Pro Street/Track pads I use on the Cadillac; I was thinking about using the same compound there. How would you rate their noise, dust and longevity? $200 for pads is pricey. That's Hawk price range.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
They do dust up with a dark gray.

Noise is practically non-existent, however.

Stopping power, both cold and hot, leaves even EBC yellows in the dust (pun intended).

I ran them on the front of my TJ, with 33's, and really getting on it, could trip the ABS on dry pavement.

Assuming good calipers, guides, and hoses, no pull, even after really cooking the pads.

They really are the best compound I have ever seen.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They do dust up with a dark gray.
Noise is practically non-existent, however.
Stopping power, both cold and hot, leaves even EBC yellows in the dust (pun intended).
I ran them on the front of my TJ, with 33's, and really getting on it, could trip the ABS on dry pavement.
Assuming good calipers, guides, and hoses, no pull, even after really cooking the pads.
They really are the best compound I have ever seen.

Nick
View Quote

Hrm. That's compelling, especially since I'll be putting some heavier tires on this eventually.  I took your advice and just got the regular OE rubber bushings for the CA's just now,.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Stuff arrived.... messy and a stupid racecar takes up so much space  Also got a lot more wire brushing to do... that was an hour of work.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
This would never pass at my house.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mattjargon:
View Quote

why do you hate adventure ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mattjargon:
View Quote

So get rid of the offending party keeping it from happening.

Worked for me
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice project so far! I'm guessing the parts Jeep was a 00-01 judging by the low pinion D30?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By f40:
Nice project so far! I'm guessing the parts Jeep was a 00-01 judging by the low pinion D30?
View Quote

Thanks!

Yes, it was an '01.  I was kinda meh about the LPD30, but I don't do any wheeling beyond fire roads so I am sure it'll be plenty strong.  Supposedly the steering angles are a little better on this one for nicer road manners, but I don't know that to be fact.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't find the LP D30 to be that big an issue.

Sure, the HP is better, but all the Wranglers being beaten up off-road with LP's would tell you it's not a big issue.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:46:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#16]
Originally Posted By PossumKing:
Bump
View Quote

Wish I had updates. I got a 2.5 month assignment out of state. The jeep is just sitting right now

I've got another month to go and I will be back home and back at it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Wish I had updates. I got a 2.5 month assignment out of state. The jeep is just sitting right now

View All Quotes
Bump

No problem.  It was just getting close to the bottom of my subscription list, and I didn't want it to fall off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Striker:
I set the thread so it won't archive...this should "encourage" DC to git er dun!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Striker:

No problem. It was just getting close to the bottom of my subscription list, and I didn't want it to fall off.
I set the thread so it won't archive...this should "encourage" DC to git er dun!

I am honored.

Homebound late next month.  With any luck I can jump right into it as soon as I get home (planning on taking a vacation anyway)
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#20]
Well I ended up having to extend but ...  I'm baaack!   Work on the Comanche started immediately.  This is the list to finish the front axle:

I have a set of Cooper AT3's coming tomorrow in 235/75R15 in LR C.  I've never run this tire before, but the tire has good reviews and I tend to really like Coopers; they are little shorter than I wanted, but I don't want to change my wheels now, which is the only way to get 255's underneath.  Holding out for some Rubi wheels someday (not the 5-spoke ones)... a story for another time.

Unfortunately the work I started was not all that exciting; my center link/adjusting sleeve are garbage, so I ordered new ones, they'll be here Monday, but I did get brakes set up on the passenger side.

Did a little work on the Cadi while I had some downtime ... brackets for the Ford 8.8 3rd member painted up.  The 8.8 can be seen top right. The spare 4th revision CTS-V diff can be seen on the left ... and the broken 1st revision is under the car, off-sight to the right

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a set of Cooper AT3's coming tomorrow in 235/75R15 in LR C.  I've never run this tire before, but the tire has good reviews and I tend to really like Coopers; they are little shorter than I wanted, but I don't want to change my wheels now, which is the only way to get 255's underneath.  Holding out for some Rubi wheels someday (not the 5-spoke ones)... a story for another time.
View Quote

Good choice! I have those on my truck and my 4runner. Not the "cooliest" looking (BFG AT KO2's and Goodyear Duratrac do look "cooler") but in the price vs performance, I don't think there is a better AT tire out there. I also dig that they are made in the US.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#22]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Good choice! I have those on my truck and my 4runner. Not the "cooliest" looking (BFG AT KO2's and Goodyear Duratrac do look "cooler") but in the price vs performance, I don't think there is a better AT tire out there. I also dig that they are made in the US.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Good to know I didn't make a huge mistake

I think they actually look fairly aggressive. Not Toyo AT or BFG AT aggressive, but a hell of a lot better than the A/S I have on there now.  I didn't know they were made in the US! That's cool
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/Vc9Vamkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sV6Rb6rh.jpg

View Quote

Nice! I miss mine, it rusted out. But before that it was a great riding truck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weptek911:
Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/Vc9Vamkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sV6Rb6rh.jpg

Thanks! They are a great truck, a little under-built for the drivetrain though imo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Three of four tires showed up today ...  I think it's going to look really good though!

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks OP.  Now you went and made me want one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Tires mounted!

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Looks good!

Nick
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Better pic ...

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Unboxed my new steering stuff and realized I ordered the wrong units  Unfortunately that was my plan for today, getting the steering set up. Oh well. I hear I can use the ZJ/WJ stuff for more beef anyway...  

Returning this to the parts store and re-ordering.  So my day wasn't a total loss, I got some paint down on the axle, and got the drivers' side brakes installed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Gentlemen, we have something that resembles a steering setup.  I was then able to re-center the axle using the steering box and get the last control arm bolted up, and the centerline established.  I am pretty proud of my broomhandle trick to keep the gearbox from coming back the other direction when I was underneath getting bolts threaded ... I'm smart  Here's also the first picture of her sitting at ride-height, without jackstands supporting it.

It's even got brakes!

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks guys!

Couple of questions for the guys who might have addressed this before.

1) With the new steering stuff on, I am having a bitch of a time getting both wheels to point straight, while still being able to connect it to the gearbox. My adjusting collar on the pitman link is out of travel ... Is there something I am missing here?

2) Reviving the heater discussion; I traced the vacuum line that goes under the battery on the passenger side of the firewall, and all that looks OK; are there any other common heater issues on these year of Jeep that I could look into? Otherwise I might wholesale replace the damned system.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Been kind of slow going lately... trying to sell the big pickup, my wifes new job might be shutting their doors due to some failure to meet state regs, etc. So time and money is at a premium.

I did however manage to get it aligned in the driveway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Glad you got it aligned; I'm a TJ/ZJ guy, not am MJ/XJ guy, but my understanding was they were all pretty close on the front end.

If you've got some time... I'm doing the white rim road in a couple weeks and have an opening...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck with the wife situation.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#39]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:
Glad you got it aligned; I'm a TJ/ZJ guy, not am MJ/XJ guy, but my understanding was they were all pretty close on the front end.

If you've got some time... I'm doing the white rim road in a couple weeks and have an opening...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Thanks for the invite! I would love to, but I still have to swap in my AW4 and t-case  

You'll only be about 3 hours from Mr. and Mrs. DarkCharisma.

Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck with the wife situation.

Thanks, on both counts. It'll pan out... life usually finds a way of doing that...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Made a little progress today, poking around and seeing what could be done in an hour...

Drilled out the old bolt that was snapped off where the panhard bar mounts to the axle, and got the panhard attached; tightened UCA/LCA since it's reasonably aligned-ish now; ordered some replacement speakers for the cab, and dug through my box and found an old Alpine stereo with IPOD/AUX.  Seems like a good day.

I should have a lot more progress here soon, going to have some funds freed up next week-ish and that means JEEP PARTS
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Ordered shocks for all four corners, sent the local parts guy on a mission to find a pitman arm with a longer threaded stud, I ordered some new 2-way 6.5" speakers for the doors, and some other odds and ends.  Pics to come soon....
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
What speakers did you go with?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
What speakers did you go with?
View Quote

Some cheap Kenwoods that I won't cry over if they get submerged in water during a botched fording attempt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Anything is better than stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#45]
The last week or so has been productive.

* Shocks have been installed on all four corners.
* Found a pitman TRE that will work for my application.
* Tightened down steering components, and installed all components' zerk fittings and cotter pins.
* Bled brakes.
* Pulled back board, headliner, upper seatbelt mounts, etc. in preparation for a new headliner fabric that Mrs. DarkCharisma is going to re-cover for me.

Took it for a shakedown drive to my dad's house about 5 minutes away, a brake was dragging on the way there, so we basically beat it with a C-clamp and it worked fine on the way home.

I'll get some pics up of the progress, busy day for me in addition to Jeep stuff I also poured a walkway on the house, haven't had a chance to re-host them yet ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#46]
Sizing up speakers, and the old Kenwood unit to be replaced with the extra Alpine HU I have.

Shocks arrived! Summit Racing boxes are like Christmas presents

Installed; this is starting to look like a functional front-end!

Cotter pins! Cotter pins and zerks for everyone!  Ignore the two snap rings, those are for the balljoints that I chose to not install ...

Cleaned out the brake fluid reservior again, bleeding it the last time shoved some junk in there ...

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 12:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#47]
Pretty much got the whole interior gutted for sound deadener, new headliner, re-wrapped visors, and I gotta pull the cluster to try and figure out how to replace the speedo cluster.   Mrs. DarkCharisma convinced me to keep the non-porous floor instead of doing a carpet kit, so I'll have to be happy with POR-15 on the floor, new padding, and deadener.

It would also seem that my heater sorta kinda works, going to back-flush the heater core and drain/fill the coolant and see if that corrects it... fingers crossed, it's set to get cooooold here soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't recall if you replaced your master cylinder? You may know this, but I didn't until recently... When bleeding your brakes with an older MC, don't push the pedal to the floor. You cause the piston to travel further than it normally can. This area of the cylinder may have some corrosion, that can tear your seal and make it develop a leak.

As far as the heater core goes, I've used the water hose and compressed air with good results. They tend to get plugged up and you need some force to break that gunk loose. Afterwards, you might use some coolant flush product to get rid of any scale. YMMV..
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I can't recall if you replaced your master cylinder? You may know this, but I didn't until recently... When bleeding your brakes with an older MC, don't push the pedal to the floor. You cause the piston to travel further than it normally can. This area of the cylinder may have some corrosion, that can tear your seal and make it develop a leak.

As far as the heater core goes, I've used the water hose and compressed air with good results. They tend to get plugged up and you need some force to break that gunk loose. Afterwards, you might use some coolant flush product to get rid of any scale. YMMV..
View Quote

Might work, might blow a hole in your heater core. (ask me how I know )

Replacing a heater core is right up there with doing a starter on a V8 toyota in terms of automotive jobs that are utter suck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

Replacing a heater core is right up there with doing a starter on a V8 toyota in terms of automotive jobs that are utter suck.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

Why wouldn't they put the starter under the intake? Lol

I agree that there is a risk of blowing a hole in the heater core, but if you get water flowing through it first, you should be ok. If that doesn't work, you might as well try air, because what do you have to lose at that point?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top