Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 1:36:11 PM EDT
How bad are the safety/nanny features on the LS400? I've decided I need one, preferably a 1995 to 1997 but realistically more like whatever rust free Texas car I can find with low mileage from 1992-1999.

Problems I have read about fo far include steering fluid leaks, HVAC and speedometer display issues, the expense of the starter and the interference engine aspect of the second generation.  Anything else?

I have been jealously ogling one driven by a parent at my daughters' school. After reading many reviews about them I think they're one of the best made and quietest cars ever. Plus they are just the right size because sadly the kids won't quit growing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the best/most reliable cars of the era.  If your criteria is to buy the nicest RWD V8 sedan for under 10K, that is your car.  But you're still going to be looking at cars coming up on 20 years old that were 60K new, and maintenance is going to be slightly more expensive than your typical toyota, when it needs it.  

If you can swing it, the LS430 (2001-06) is a big step up.  I had a 2002 430 back in the day, and it was one of the nicest and most reliable cars I've ever owned.  Its scheduled maintenance was also a lot cheaper than the 2nd gen LS400 for some reason (dealer showed me the book times for both cars on common repairs).  I would get the nicest 430 you can in your price range, just avoid the ultra luxury models (you don't want to deal with their air ride suspension).

I sold mine to my dad with 60k miles on it.  The car is currently 13 years old, has about 160k on it, and has needed just routine maintenance so far.  He will replace it with a 460 when the time comes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I want to like the 430 but it just doesn't do it for me.  I like the 1990's style and classic 15"-16" wheel size for the rough pavement TXDOT has been slapping on our highways recently.  Can't help but think it's to conserve fuel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Fair enough.  Find a one owner car being sold by that owner and you're gonna do fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How bad are the safety/nanny features on the LS400? I've decided I need one, preferably a 1995 to 1997 but realistically more like whatever rust free Texas car I can find with low mileage from 1992-1999.

Problems I have read about fo far include steering fluid leaks, HVAC and speedometer display issues, the expense of the starter and the interference engine aspect of the second generation.  Anything else?

I have been jealously ogling one driven by a parent at my daughters' school. After reading many reviews about them I think they're one of the best made and quietest cars ever. Plus they are just the right size because sadly the kids won't quit growing.
View Quote

Have you considered a Lexus GS as an alternative?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 1997 LS400 with 137k on it and kept it for a year(ish) before selling it to the parents. They've now owned it for around a year and it's up to 16X,XXX.

Before buying it, I did a compression test on it to make sure then engine was still in good mechanical shape. It passed with ease.

I then, upon taking ownership, did valve cover gaskets, plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc. General maintenance.

It ran beautifully. I would drain and fill the transmission with every oil change to give the trans an easy "flush" so as not to force deposits elsewhere in it.

No issues for a long time, save for a weeping pan gasket (which is a PITA to change as it drops down on both sides of the crossmember) and strut rod bushings (have to be drilled/pressed/burned out and have the new ones pressed in.)

I changed the power steering pump out for a re-manned one as well as re-o-ringed the high pressure line. While you're in there, remove the alternator and have it rebuilt. When the power steering pump leaks, it leaks right on to the alternator. Money well spent as it's 15+ years old and probably one it's way out.

Parents did just recently have an issue with it, though. A, not-so-rare, issue with the ECU. Leaking capacitors. It is currently in the shop awaiting diagnosis, but the tech believes it could have washed three cylinders...

Some issues I would look at before buying;

• Oil pan gasket

• Power Steering pump and high pressure line

• Brittle vacuum lines - Causes vacuum leaks

• Strut rod bushings - Cause a shimmy/vibration at speed

• Leaking ECU capacitors - Can cause any and all ECU related issues

Other than that, I loved every minute of driving it. 20+ MPG, quiet, reliable, smooth... Would highly recommend a clean one, if you can find it. They pop up occasionally on craigslist.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome info.  Thanks.  Apparently there is an issue with substandard capacitors sourced by a supplier.  They kill the ecu after a while. I lost the page in a sea of Lexus history.  Will try harder later but gotta leave for know.

I miss rear wheel and am currently driving an old Camry.  1999 V6 5 speed.  Kinda fun to drive and the epitome of gray man.  I picked it up in the summer with 73k and it's in fantastic condition.  Shouldn't look for something more complicated but I seem to be a used car shopping addict.  I drift from one used car lot to another at night chasing the white dragon.  Or the beige Lexus.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I drift from one used car lot to another at night chasing the white dragon.  
View Quote

...aren't we all...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

No and that was probably foolish.  My brother's wife had one years ago but he wasn't terribly impressed.  I never bothered looking into them and dismissed them as a bigger ES.  It would probably be more sensible than the LS but there are none for sale near me, at least on Craigslist.  

I don't need anything sporty anymore anyway.  Just a big quiet ride that I can swing without going into debt for it.  I'm giving up and going straight to geriatric mode.  Everyone calls me sir now anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I drive just over 60,000 mile/year.

I'm now driving an '04 LS430 and love the soft and quiet ride.  I was driving around in my '12 Acura TSX and can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy the LS.
I average 27.5mpg on the Highway.  Tank average is 24mpg with mixed driving.

I may be spoiled forever...

Geriatric haters begin in 3,2,1....

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
er...

Geriatric haters begin in 3,2,1....
View Quote

You ain't getting any from me

I for one don't think a car has to handle "good" be fast, or spectacularly unreliable (read $$$) to be fun to drive like most here seem to believe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered the big Cadillacs as well?  I'm not suggesting they're up to the same quality standards as an LS430, but you could get one quite a bit newer for the same money than a comparable Ls430 and they would satisfy your comfy land yacht requirements as well.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No and that was probably foolish.  My brother's wife had one years ago but he wasn't terribly impressed.  I never bothered looking into them and dismissed them as a bigger ES.  It would probably be more sensible than the LS but there are none for sale near me, at least on Craigslist.  

I don't need anything sporty anymore anyway.  Just a big quiet ride that I can swing without going into debt for it.  I'm giving up and going straight to geriatric mode.  Everyone calls me sir now anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You seem like a candidate for the Japanese buick, the toyota avalon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You seem like a candidate for the Japanese buick, the toyota avalon.
View Quote

The Avalon is hideous.  One of the ugliest cars in recent memory.  They may be fine cars but I would just be ashamed.  This is coming from a guy that for a short time owned a 1984 Cavalier and a Suzuki Verona.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Love the LS series of Lexus.  Especially the LS460h  Rear reclining seats.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Love the LS series of Lexus.  Especially the LS460h  Rear reclining seats.  
View Quote

Yeah. There is a nice one for sale near me.  Totally above my standards with Impressive acceleration but too expensive for my debt free hitch.  Also can't help but think the batteries are gonna be terribly costly.

There is a 96 LS400 in Taos listed on CL for $12k. Only 60k miles.  Looks very pretty but it is black.  A little uppity for my taste.  I like boring earth tones.  Also black is awfully hot in the TX sun.  Somebody will love it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I would bump up from a 400 to a 430 or so.  Just something a bit newer for not TOOOOO much more.  Throw some 20's on it, lay some frame with air ride and enjoy the VIP life

ETA: Rumor has it the 430's were the best LS's Lexus has built.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
My buddy just bought an 04 LS430 with 200k miles on it from his father in law for 6k. It's still a super nice car. I almost bought one at one point a couple of years ago and wish I had.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a '92 or so LS400 a few years back, and it was a great car.  Gas mileage wasn't bad for a boat and a V8, and it had pretty good power.  Mileage wasn't impressive, but not exactly terrible, either.  I kept it for a little over a year or so, then sold it with 280k+ miles.  Only thing I ever did to it was change the oil, the belt, and put in a new battery.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would bump up from a 400 to a 430 or so.  Just something a bit newer for not TOOOOO much more.  Throw some 20's on it, lay some frame with air ride and enjoy the VIP life  

ETA: Rumor has it the 430's were the best LS's Lexus has built.  
View Quote

They are nice.  The headlights irk me a bit.  I prefer the looks of the 95-7 best and they have the taller/quieter 60 series 15" tires.  92 and prior had even quieter 15" 65 series but the brakes were smaller and I don't have R12 charging equipment.  Still gonna look at a 92 in a couple hours.  135k. Asking $4800.

Maybe the Taos person would trade for an ammo fort.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a 93 LS400.

Stuff to look out for.
1. Hashed leather and dash cracks
2. Front suspension bushings (car will shimmy at speed). They are non replaceable, requiring new A arms.
3. The already mentioned ECU capacitor issue. I tried and failed to recap mine, despite having done several tvs before.  Cost $500 for a reman ECU.
4. Power steering leak. For most of them, the leak is a pressure switch under the PS pump that fails and lets PS fluid leak. Fixed by bypassing for less then $4 (generic oil pan bolt put in place of the valve).
5. EGR tube that runs down the back of the engine. It cracks/breaks, causing a nasty exhaust leak. Part is ~$100, labor is about a grand (trans has to come out to get to one friggin bolt that holds it to the back of the engine block).
6. Dash cluster has capactor issues. Replacement is ~$1,500 and will also break. There are aftermarket solutions (capacitor replacement kits)
7. Climate control LCD screen dies. $500 dealer part of ~$100 for aftermarket parts (if you know how to solder well).
8. Headlight fluid. Over time the adhesive holding the glass lens on the headlight fails, allowing water to get into the light. I just picked up replacements at the boneyard for ours for $30 each
9. 800,000 various light bulbs in and on the vehicle. Chances are 1 or 2 will be out at any given time.
10. They like to occasionally eat 1 of the 2 ignitors (naturally the one lower down on the drivers side of the engine that is a pain to get to)

Otherwise, they are great cars, comfortable, pretty powerful, easy to drive. Drivetrain (engine and trans) are pretty much bulletproof.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.  Never heard of the ignitor or egr leak.  There was a really nice 95 in Houston with 88k that sold for $6k.  I was too slow

There is a 92 near me with 135k that I might offer $2k for.  It still has R12 but he says the compressor may be out.  There is no way I would do a half assed conversion on it and I am set up to service r134.  Also something is shaking in the front end.  Could be lca's or maybe just bad tires from sitting so long.

I am now addicted to the Aututrader app.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top