Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 11:59:19 PM EDT
I posted back a few days ago about a 2013 sr5 premium I was going to get but it got snagged before I got a chance at it, Oh well i guess, Well today at the shop a couple in their 50s traded in their

2012 trail edition. It has just under 88000 on it. They claim most are highway miles from traveling from WY to SD to visit their kids and grandchildren. The thing looks like its in excellent shape, just

has a pile of miles on it. Not sure they even left the pavement with this thing. It's also got brand new tires on it. Anyway my cost on it is $26200. Any reason I should stay away from it? Seems like a

pile of miles but all the mechanics at work say that ain't shit. What do the Toyota owners of Arfcom think?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd look elsewhere, 88K is a lot of miles for a couple year old ride. They have all the oil changes and maintenance documented on it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd look elsewhere, 88K is a lot of miles for a couple year old ride. They have all the oil changes and maintenance documented on it?
View Quote

Yes. all maintenance was done at the dealership I work at. The service writers know the previous owners.  They came in and traded for a brand new trail edition. They must have liked the one they had. I took it home for the night. It seems like a really solid ride. Other than the OD saying 88000 the thing is tits.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Get it.  Easily another 200k miles in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
honestly if the price is right 88k isn't a whole lot on one of those
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
After seeing newer model tacomas and some fj cruisers with 300-500k miles on them, I'd have no problem trusting one in that mileage range as long as it's well taken care of.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
just don't drive it until 2019 then the mileage won't be all that high
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather get a used vehicle with highway mileage than one with that many city miles.  So long as you have the maintenance records I'd go for it if the price makes sense based on KBB/NADA/Craigslist or local sales on similar models for your area.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]

90k highway miles is nothing, but the price seems a bit high.

What new tires? The OEM tires are garbage.

My 2011 TE will hit 100K miles this week, with lots of hard off road use, rock crawling, carrying an extra 1000lbs of armor and gear, 33" mud tires. It's still mechanically perfect.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My 2011 TE will hit 100K miles this week, with lots of hard off road use, rock crawling, carrying an extra 1000lbs of armor and gear, 33" mud tires. It's still mechanically perfect.
View Quote

I was hoping you would chime in.  
My price on it is $500 more than what the dealership has into it. They must have gave the people who traded it in on a 2015 trail premium trade in. Also 26200 isn't set in stone. The owner just ball parked it based on what PDI and whatever it needs might cost. The only thing I think it needs is a windshield. Has a couple small chips in it.

EDIT I have to check which tires they put on it. I'm guessing they put the tires of the 2015 trail that the guy traded in for. He wanted the snow tires he had on this one so I think they just swapped them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an FJ Cruiser with 124,000 miles on it. The thing sounds and runs no different than it did when it was new. I am under the impression they are the same vehicle except for the body. The engine is rock solid and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one with high mileage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My price on it is $500 more than what the dealership has into it. They must have gave the people who traded it in on a 2015 trail premium trade in. Also 26200 isn't set in stone. The owner just ball parked it based on what PDI and whatever it needs might cost. The only thing I think it needs is a windshield. Has a couple small chips in it.

EDIT I have to check which tires they put on it. I'm guessing they put the tires of the 2015 trail that the guy traded in for. He wanted the snow tires he had on this one so I think they just swapped them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It may not be a bad price (just sounds high to me), do you have anything comparable in your area? The proper windshield will be about $500 (it has heating elements in it for the wipers).

If you get it, I would swap those tires for some LT265/70/17 Duratracs in load range C.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]
500 for the windshield....damn. I'll look into the tires. posting on my phone now. Sucks. I'll be oon the computer later. might have ssome more questions
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC, you can get it about $100 less, without the windshield wiper heaters, but I love those things. Imagine they would be handy in South Dakota, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top