Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
Whats the general consensus on the 14 Tundra's? I have a chance at a sweet price(think cheaper than I spent on my 4runner )  on a used '14 Crewmax 4x4 TRD-offroad with the 5.7. Its got a spray-in bed liner already and 20K on it.

I'm seriously debating on trading in my 12 4runner. I had a Silverado two cars before my 4runner(traded the truck for a car and the car for the 4runner), and I find myself missing the bed quite often, but I don't know that I would necessarily use the bed so much that it would offset the extra gas cost. Realistically I get 17-18mpg on average around town in my 4runner, how is the 5.7 on gas?(I assume its around 13-15 depending on driving habits?)

The extra towing capacity wouldn't hurt either, as my wife is about to pop with our first kid, and soon as he's old enough we are planning on getting a camper to start camping with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an '11 Tundra CrewMax TRD with the 5.7.  Same engine/drivetrain as the '14.  I do like the interior of the '14 better though!

I do horrible driving for fuel economy, typically 3 miles one way to work.  In the winter I see around 14mpg and in summer usually a little better, like 15mpg.  On long highway trips with the AC on and probably 700lbs of vacation gear, I average 20mpg.  Ride around with your right foot mashing the skinny pedal, and you can expect worse for sure.  

Factory rated at 13 city and 19 highway if I recall correctly.

Dan.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
just traded my 13 tacoma 4x4 long bed V6 in for a 15 tundra 4X4 crewmax with the 5.7, i got an amazing deal due to my boss beings friends with the GM at the local dealership. i did a ton of research because i wanted to make an educated decision, from a well known tundra forum it seems a lot of people are averaging 14-16 mpg with stock suspension and tires with the 5.7, also appears the 5.7 is better than the 4.7 on gas well could be the 6speed  or just the extra power so it doesnt have to work as hard. i test drove the tundra and the ram imo the tundra has a much better ride and the engine is a lot more smooth.   only had it for about 6 hours now but im liking it, much more room in the front and the back just has a ton of room, was one of the biggest selling points since me and my fiancee are looking at starting a family in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Pepper your angus err I mean bank account.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My '13 averages 14 mpg in town, and 12 on the hwy.
The biggest drawback, IMO, is the 5.5 bed.  Not a day goes by I don't wish they offered a full size bed in the crewmax.  Well, except when I have to park in Chicago
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A tundra is no more expensive than any other full size truck.
Or are you one of the many people who beleive toyotas are really expensive, even though they've never priced one out?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or are you one of the many people who beleive toyotas are really expensive, even though they've never priced one out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are, not sure what prices you were seeing esp when you consider how behind on tech toyota is.
There's hardly any difference between say a 2005 tundra vs. a brand new one, it's almost the same truck in and out.
Sure there's not as big of a price gap in the fullsize market like there is in the midsize market with Tacoma/4 runner but it's definitely still there.
I have a friend with a supercharged 2013 tundra that I BS with all the time about trucks and I recently shopped for trucks (ended up with a chevy again) so Im not just blowing smoke.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I just built 2 plane jane V8 extended cab 4wd trucks on toyota and chevrolet .coms.  tundra $34.5, silverado $35.7.  As far as midsize trucks, I'll agree with you on the price disparity.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
F150 FTW
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought mine in March and really like it.  The mileage isn't great, but the power of the 5.7L is worth it.

Lots of room and a pretty smooth ride.  I do wish the bed was a little longer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a 14 that I picked up over Labor Day to replace my Hemi Ram.

I'm doing 13-15mpg with a bit of a heavy foot....on par with the Ram, maybe a shade lower. Love the truck, very happy with it even if there are a few minor annoyances (like shitty center console storage).
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
F150 Ram 1500 Hemi FTW
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an 07 crewmaxwith the 5.7. With 35s and a small lift, I averaged 13 mpg .   Other than that, the truck was great!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a 14 Platinum which was the best truck I've owned thus far.

That thing moved and I tested it daily. I was filling up 2-3 times a week.

Well, I got married and I am  adopting 3 kids so I had to re budget and went to the 4runner. I am also retiring soon from the military so economically it was the better route. It also helps that my wife work for toyota and I get invoice pricing so payment dropped quite a lot.

I loved that truck and I will own one again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The frame and undercarriage rust like they are sitting in the ocean in areas where they salt the roads. I looked under several used 3 -4 year old ones and the only difference between bare metal under the ocean and the frames was the lack of barnacles.

My 16 year old bare bones winter beater GMC Sonoma has less rust..............

In a non salted/southern area, it may be completely different.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I think you should do it. Mine has been awesome so far!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The frame and undercarriage rust like they are sitting in the ocean in areas where they salt the roads. I looked under several used 3 -4 year old ones and the only difference between bare metal under the ocean and the frames was the lack of barnacles.

View Quote

You'd be disappointed with the newer big 3 offerings then as well.  As they've lux'd up the interiors, they've gotten rid of things like anything to prevent dirt/salt from getting all up around the frame and wheelwells now.  :-/
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#17]
<----  Former 2nd Generation Tundra owner

Unless Toyota has complete, changed their philosophy on full size trucks, get something else if you want anything but a grocery getter.

And the myth of Toyota quality control is just that.  I had more issues with the Tundra than any Ram or F-150 I have ever owned.

Toyota makes great small pickups, they still haven't got the full-size pickup thing down in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You'd be disappointed with the newer big 3 offerings then as well.  As they've lux'd up the interiors, they've gotten rid of things like anything to prevent dirt/salt from getting all up around the frame and wheelwells now.  :-/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amsoil MPHD and a pressure washer are your best friend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
<----  Former 2nd Generation Tundra owner

Unless Toyota has complete, changed their philosophy on full size trucks, get something else if you want anything but a grocery getter.

And the myth of Toyota quality control is just that.  I had more issues with the Tundra than any Ram or F-150 I have ever owned.

Toyota makes great small pickups, they still haven't got the full-size pickup thing down in my opinion.
View Quote

You do realize every manufacturer makes lemons, right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2014 Tundra CM SR5 4x4.  6k miles so far and no issues whatsoever.  
Things I like about it:
- Plenty of power!
-Very comfortable ride
-PLENTY of room, especially for passengers in the back.
-The Entune system is nice.
-The WHOLE rear window opens

Things I don't like about it.
-It doesn't get 30 mpg it gets about 14 mpg around town if I don't get lead footed
-Rear seat doesn't fold forward, so no way to stick a rifle behind the rear seat
-No storage other than the center console (which is huge inside)
-Short range (300ish miles), but a larger aftermarket tank is available.

I looked over all major brands of crewcab trucks (Ford, Chevy, Ram) and decided on the Tundra.  The real eye opener that allowed me to REALLY see the difference between the major brands was to crawl UNDER the truck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Only buy a Tundra if you want something that works.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Turns out they wanted top keep it pretty badly apparently. They had it marked $37k on the lot but $34k on their website and when I showed the salesman he just said "wow, somebody's getting yelled at, cause that's wrong"  And then proceeded to lowball the Hell out of my 4runner(they offered 22, and it blue books at 27 for trade-in, not mention they had one identical to mine with more miles and no third row seating, and it was marked 33k)

And they wouldn't budge at all on either number, and came back with an absurd interest rate(my 4runner is below 3%, and my wife and I are both over 700). So I basically told em to pound sand.

Oh well, the search continues.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
You should be able to get a SR5 CM 4x4 for about 35K brand new with no miles on it.  TRD adds a little over $1k to that price.

I got a 2014 cm 4X4 SR5 upgrade with alloy wheels and all wx mats, $35,154 + TTL this July.  You should be able to get as good or better than that if you do your homework.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a new crew 4x4 limited TRD model and I get 16.5-18mpg

Dad has the new 1794 edition, he also gets around 17-18.5mpg.

Keep those tires inflated and go easy on the pedal.  All of today's truck realistic get anywhere from 13mpg-19mpg depending on the driver.

I love the ride, feel, size, and comfort of the Tundra the most.  The new Entune system is awesome. I like it much better than what ford/chevy/dodge offer.  The undercarriage looks so much better well thought than the others too!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a new crew 4x4 limited TRD model and I get 16.5-18mpg

Dad has the new 1794 edition, he also gets around 17-18.5mpg.

Keep those tires inflated and go easy on the pedal.  All of today's truck realistic get anywhere from 13mpg-19mpg depending on the driver.

I love the ride, feel, size, and comfort of the Tundra the most.  The new Entune system is awesome. I like it much better than what ford/chevy/dodge offer.  The undercarriage looks so much better well thought than the others too!
View Quote

What does Toyota do differently ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top